Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby mots02 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 am

Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:price of entry, food/drink etc. I know some families that now have only two tickets instead of 4 as they couldn't afford for the whole family to go every week.

Freo Sunday twilight, Brisbane, West Coast and North all at home aren't exactly big crowd pullers*.

Absolutely - family ticket (2 Adults + 2 kids) ranges from $77.50 to $178.40.

Couple of beers/cider for mum/dad and not much change from a $50.. add in maybe some chips or a snack for the kids there's another $15 - $20

Starts getting expensive, not something that all families could do every week.

Throw in the Sunday twilight games, kids have school Monday and we have them in bed by 7pm usually - so generally it's a little late by time they get home and they are likely over tired or hypo and then have difficulty sleeping.

Saturday afternoon games we have ammo footy, hard to find time away from that to head to the games.

Much easier and cost effective to stay home in the warmth and watch the game :D

But didn't all of these things also exist a couple of years ago when crowds were higher?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 906 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 am

mots02 wrote:But didn't all of these things also exist a couple of years ago when crowds were higher?

Of course, and they'll continue to exist, just saying people shouldn't expect to be seeing sell out crowds every home game because it just isn't possible. Shouldn't be a reflection on novelty wearing off etc.

morell wrote:Yeah but... like... our crowds are still more than healthy?!

Lol I agree with you don't worry :lol: Just acknowledging reasons that impact people attending.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4041 times

Postby morell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am

Port have St Kilda, Collingwood and Gold Coast left. The last home game before finals is Gold Coast in a likely win. Traditionally this has seen Port get monster crowds - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that get to 40k if results go as expected.

So say we get 36k for St Kilda, 42k for Collingwood and 40k for Gold Coast. That'll result in an average of pretty much 40k.

In a season where expectations were not high to average 40k is actually a testament to the club, ground and sport as a whole. That's the thing so many people forget. For many game attending fans, the decision to go or not is made in February. Not July.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 pm

morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:C'mon man, this thread would be as boring as a Ken Hinkley press conference if it wasn't for UK Fans input.
Bit of friendly banter never hurt anyone ;)
Clearly you didn't read about SWARM.

Can you run it past us again as I missed it the first 100 times ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Spargo wrote:
Trader wrote:
morell wrote:I legit don't understand the troll he is trying to make?

It's clear what he's saying.

After round 19, a Saturday 4pm game - our lowest drawing timeslot - vs St Kilda, our average crowd for this year will fall below that from last year.

Declining crowds, despite our rise from 10th to 4th, clearly show that the crowds are becoming bored of the bells and whistles that came with the new oval, and before too long, we will be back to having 25k at games just like the footy park days.
Adelaide Oval will not be the savior of the Port Adelaide Footy Club.

--------------------

Now I'm not sure I agree with all of that, but it's clear that's what he's trying to say.

Plenty of people think this a possibility of happening.

Not the ignorant Port supporters who just dismiss it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:With the results on the weekend, if Port win one of Melbourne, Bulldogs away or the Showdown (50/50s) and all of St Kilda, Collingwood, Gold Coast at home (likely) - we will finish 4th.

In all likelihood Adelaide will finish top. Pretty tough to see them slipping now, unless they drop to Geelong.

We're a huge chance of having an all SA qualifying final.

:D

the hill is gonna be a fun place that night :D

Worst outcome for Adelaide if it happens. Lose any home ground advantage that took 23 weeks to get hold of.

No, they are most worried about Sydney apparently.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1225 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby morell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:41 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Trader wrote:

After round 19, a Saturday 4pm game - our lowest drawing timeslot - vs St Kilda, our average crowd for this year will fall below that from last year.

Declining crowds, despite our rise from 10th to 4th, clearly show that the crowds are becoming bored of the bells and whistles that came with the new oval, and before too long, we will be back to having 25k at games just like the footy park days.

--------------------

Now I'm not sure I agree with all of that, but it's clear that's what he's trying to say.

Plenty of people think this a possibility of happening.

Not the ignorant Port supporters who just dismiss it.
Port supporters dismiss it because its an astonishingly thin and weak argument that isn't supported by facts and logic.

Fair dinkum. Only averaging 40k is a sign of Port's demise. It's utterly fanciful.
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 pm

No one is disputing your average crowd facts but people keep making excuses of why you didn't get 50,000.
Teams, time slots, weather etc....... we've heard it all.

Port will no longer attract 50,000 unless all the stars align and it's perfect weather on a perfect day in a perfect time slot against a team who attract supporters to the game.
Fact is 40,000 is a good crowd but while you're having a good season it should be closer to 45,000 shouldn't it?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 pm

amber_fluid wrote:No one is disputing your average crowd facts but people keep making excuses of why you didn't get 50,000.

Port will no longer attract 50,000 unless all the stars align and it's perfect weather on a perfect day in a perfect time slot against a team who attract supporters to the game.
Fact is 40,000 is a good crowd but while you're having a good season it should be closer to 45,000 shouldn't it?

They need to have the home games on pension weeks.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby morell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 pm

amber_fluid wrote:No one is disputing your average crowd facts but people keep making excuses of why you didn't get 50,000.

We've never averaged anywhere near 50k! Where does that come from? The absolute peak highest we've averaged is 44,364 in 2014 after winning a final in 2013, moving to a shiny new oval, having a ripper start to the year and being one of the favourites for the flag.

40k for 2017 is a really good result. We were picked to be in the 8-10 range. Adelaide Oval isn't new anymore. Our fixtures with home games hasn't been ideal. To *still* get above average crowds is a fantastic result - for all involved, including, dare I say it, one of the major stakeholders in the SMA, the SANFL! You're welcome.

We're literally pissing into the wind about a drop of 4 thousand people over three years. I know that sounds like a lot for SANFL fans, but in the scheme of things....

If we win a final this year, recruit well, have a good pre-season and next year we average 35k where we'll struggle to break even. You'll have a point.

Until then... pls. Some semblance of reality.
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm

morell wrote:

We've never averaged anywhere near 50k! Where does that come from? The absolute peak highest we've averaged is 44,364 in 2014 after winning a final in 2013, moving to a shiny new oval, having a ripper start to the year and being one of the favourites for the flag.

40k for 2017 is a really good result. We were picked to be in the 8-10 range. Adelaide Oval isn't new anymore. Our fixtures with home games hasn't been ideal. To *still* get above average crowds is a fantastic result - for all involved, including, dare I say it, one of the major stakeholders in the SMA, the SANFL! You're welcome.

We're literally pissing into the wind about a drop of 4 thousand people over three years. I know that sounds like a lot for SANFL fans, but in the scheme of things....

If we win a final this year, recruit well, have a good pre-season and next year we average 35k where we'll struggle to break even. You'll have a point.

Until then... pls. Some semblance of reality.

No hysteria here mate.
But 4 thousand should be a concern of some sort.
If you lose another 4 thousand you are back to the point of break even with profits aren't you?

The biggest issue I see is the price of entry and food and beverages.
I really don't think timeslots or weather play as big a part as people have said on here.
It's a factor but a small one.
Prices are the issue IMO

And I meant 50k to a game not season average.
Last edited by amber_fluid on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm

4,000 people at $40 a head (which is conservative) is $3.5 million a year. So to say it is insignificant isn't really true.

I wonder what port budget for.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby UK Fan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Trader wrote:

--------------------

Youll have to forgive Morell the man is very very simple/dumb.

Im glad someone else had to spoon feed him the info this time.

Keep up the good work Morell.

And remember everyone is laughing with you :-)
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:4,000 people at $40 a head (which is conservative) is $3.5 million a year. So to say it is insignificant isn't really true.

its actually 1.76 million, my bad.

I think my point is still valid though.

Port wouldnt be happy with the run of shitty timeslots and teams they have had for their home games
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

UK Fan wrote:

Better than having everyone laughing at you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
bennymacca wrote:4,000 people at $40 a head (which is conservative) is $3.5 million a year. So to say it is insignificant isn't really true.

its actually 1.76 million, my bad.

I think my point is still valid though.

Port wouldnt be happy with the run of shitty timeslots and teams they have had for their home games

$1.76m....meh, when we've got 1 billion Chinese on board that'll be like dropping your lunch money. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby morell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

A lot of those people would be season ticket holders who don't pay anywhere near $40 a head. Plus family tickets and kids... Also have to keep in mind that lots of people pay for a ticket, but for whatever reason don't turn up. Reasons for which are many and varied and have been discussed ad infinitum. So $40 is an excessive figure IMO. And its a bit of 1.5 million over four years. Not huge at all.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is... the bottom line.

How we looking there?
Last edited by morell on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:04 pm

$40 a head for what?
Maybe they have a stack of no shows who have already paid for seasons tickets in which case the club has already banked the money.
BTW I don't honestly know how many season tickets Port have this year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:05 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Trader wrote:

--------------------

Youll have to forgive Morell the man is very very simple/dumb.

Im glad someone else had to spoon feed him the info this time.

Keep up the good work Morell.

UK Fan the first person in history to claim intellectual superiority after someone translates their gibberish into English and then states he doesn't agree with it.
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:05 pm

C'mon Booney, don't be another head in the sand Port supporter.
Better to fix things when there is minor damage as opposed to waiting for it to sh*t itself altogether.

You can't move Ovals again to attract supporters back. ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL