AFL Round 7

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 7

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Is this the first time ever in anything that the bottom placed team out of a competition of 18 is $1.11 favourites?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4352 times
Been liked: 7970 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Is this the first time ever in anything that the bottom placed team out of a competition of 18 is $1.11 favourites?

Crazy. Doubt there would have been another time. Maybe in the second round or something
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bum Crack » Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Always entertaining contests between WC and Port.
Stats say port is one of the best defensive teams this season, in saying that you wouldn't expect Brisbane,Carlton,Fremantle forwards to worry you all that much. The games Port have lost, Walker 4 goals, Patton 6 and against the Swans Franklin kicked 4, but Port still won well. WC don't lose to many games if Kennedy kicks 4+ goals, so huge match up for whoever gets him.
If Port use the ball by Bombing long to Dixon, McGovern and Barrass will have a field day, teams that have torched WC this season have used small forwards and kept the ball low, taking both of WC marking backmen out of the game(Richmond,Hawks and St Kilda to a point)
Both teams very good in close, Boak,Wines/Ebert v Priddis,Mitchell, Sheed but it's the showdown between Shuey/ Gaff vs Gray/Polec that will determine the match. Ryder should have Giles covered, but Giles has shown he is no pushover.
Should know pretty early if WC have come to play, if Port can hold them up and make them go down the line, they should be easy pickings for Port. If WC move the ball like they have before at Adelaide oval, Kennedy will become and issue and can win the match of his own boot.

You've got a good record but that is with blokes like Lycett, Cox, Naitanui. This time you've got Giles. No pushover maybe but this time they don't have Lobbe they have Ryder. That tips the scales in favour of Port.

regards,

REB

Giles played very well last year at Adelaide Oval. Lycett was not much chop (injured early that game if I remember correctly) and Nic Nat wasn't playing either
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Greater Western Sydney
Adelaide
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
Melbourne
Fremantle
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 pm

helicopterking wrote:Always entertaining contests between WC and Port.
Stats say port is one of the best defensive teams this season, in saying that you wouldn't expect Brisbane,Carlton,Fremantle forwards to worry you all that much. The games Port have lost, Walker 4 goals, Patton 6 and against the Swans Franklin kicked 4, but Port still won well. WC don't lose to many games if Kennedy kicks 4+ goals, so huge match up for whoever gets him.
If Port use the ball by Bombing long to Dixon, McGovern and Barrass will have a field day, teams that have torched WC this season have used small forwards and kept the ball low, taking both of WC marking backmen out of the game(Richmond,Hawks and St Kilda to a point)
Both teams very good in close, Boak,Wines/Ebert v Priddis,Mitchell, Sheed but it's the showdown between Shuey/ Gaff vs Gray/Polec that will determine the match. Ryder should have Giles covered, but Giles has shown he is no pushover.
Should know pretty early if WC have come to play, if Port can hold them up and make them go down the line, they should be easy pickings for Port. If WC move the ball like they have before at Adelaide oval, Kennedy will become and issue and can win the match of his own boot.

A fair and reasonable analysis.

At the beginning of the season, we were always going to be tested defensively, given injuries to key defenders at both AFL and SANFL level. For Clurey to keep Buddy to 4 goals, I think many Port fans considered that a win given the influence Buddy has had in a number of recent games against us. Walker was always going to get off the leash in the Showdown once Hombsch went down in R2, and the fact we had nobody in the SANFL fit to replace him meant that the dam wall was always going to bust after half time, and Walker’s class in key moments proved decisive in the end. Patton kicking 6 in Round 4 irks me, but it was a decision at the selection table that resulted in Patton having a day out. Hombsch was obviously out and coming into R4 we had Logan Austin fit and ready to play, and our coaching staff opted for Matt White to try and exploit GWS for leg speed. What our selectors didn’t bank on was the absolute spanking our midfield copped, and poor old Tom Clurey was hung out to dry as the only tall. Considering Tom has played on Buddy & Walker 6 rounds into the year, hopefully he has learned a bit against these 2 and can try and take some of it into Saturday against Kennedy. I will be furious if Hombsch gets the start on him, given the day out that Josh had on him last year. Hombsch needs to play on Darling and try and influence the Clurey matchup as the intercept. As for season stats- WCE sit 4-2. Kennedy has 19 goals in the Eagles’ wins, and 3 in their losses. He also leads the competition in marks inside 50, with 25. Port’s best is Dixon with 18. Keep him to 3 and under and it will go a long way towards Port winning.

Wholeheartedly agree with the importance on Port’s delivery. McGovern leads the comp for contested marks with 17, so popping it onto Dixon’s head all day will be a tactical blunder with potentially diabolical consequences. Robbie Gray will be important in this aspect. There aren’t too many small defenders who have the body strength and positioning to beat him one on one, and once the ball hits the deck it is game over, Rob just oozes class below the knees. Wingard with 31 last week spending some time in the midfield last week will also be important. Amongst his 31 were 11 score involvements, 7 inside 50’s, 7 clearances going at 80% DE. If we are to look for Dixon on the fast break, expect it to be delivered to him by Chad.

Can’t wait for the midfield battle tomorrow. Ryder has been massive for us this season, and has us ranked #1 in the competition for scores from centre bounces. And 1st in the competition for inside 50’s. Our contested ball numbers are pretty pleasing. We rank #2 in the comp for scores from stoppages, 4th in the comp for clearances and 3rd in the comp for contested possession. I expect us to have an edge here, Wines and Ebert leading the way and Sammy Powell-Pepper giving Eagles fans reason to get the pitchforks ready for your recruiting staff in selecting Venables over him!

Port by 23.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice witty subject title Booney, imaginative..... ;) :D
Attachments
Rd 7 men in green.jpg
Rd 7 men in green.jpg (109.05 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Saints
Crows
Carlton (have won every 25yrs of collingwood's anniversaries)
West Coast will win easy, Port will get a massive reality check
Geelong
Richmond It will say more about where the Bulldogs are than Richmonds chances this year
Brisbane Just for the LOLs
Melbourne
Fremantle
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2439 times
Been liked: 1672 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 05, 2017 4:26 pm

am Bays wrote:Nice witty subject title Booney, imaginative..... ;) :D

you could say booney has been caught holding the ball on the thread titles this year
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 05, 2017 6:45 pm

The irony, I have to hope both Adelaide teams do well for the benefit of my new employer and me getting more shifts! :shock:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2070 times
Been liked: 3932 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I've gone-
Giants
Crows
Magpies
Power
Cats
Bulldogs- Hard game to tip
Swans- If there's one week they're going to get their first win surely it's this week
Demons- Watch them spud it up now that I've tipped them, they are my bogey team when it comes to tips
Dockers
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10446 times
Been liked: 1546 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Bigger crowds at the SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3577 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm

The saints really need put a few through now. Had all the play the qtr

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1258 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Fri May 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Saints up and about here. Smashed the GWS with some great tackles.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
stan
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Good quarter but didn't convert it on the scoreboard. A few Giants banged up.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 437 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Two good Friday night games in a row :shock: :shock:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby BZB27 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Took the foot off in the last 5 mins of the qtr. hopefully come out with the high pressure again, and be cleaner with the ball made a few stupid decisions out of the kick in's
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stan » Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 pm

The Saints tackling has been really good tonight. They have managed to put pressure on the Giants at times, although the Giants kicked a couple again i a row, the Saints get a few back.
stan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Umps doing their best to get the Saints up tonight
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3577 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby BZB27 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 pm

I swear it just seems the Giants are in cruise control. We are busting our arse doing everything to put them under pressure and we have done it well but as soon as the Giants get it out they are unstoppable with there skill and pace.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stan » Fri May 05, 2017 10:32 pm

BZB27 wrote:I swear it just seems the Giants are in cruise control. We are busting our arse doing everything to put them under pressure and we have done it well but as soon as the Giants get it out they are unstoppable with there skill and pace.

Back to 3 points now. When they get it on the outside they are cutting you up but still your pressure is good and you are holding them.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL