Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Magellan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:Wouldn't mind betting the Crows do the exact same thing next season.

Surprised they haven't already tried it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:11 am

Spargo wrote:Top post this ^
Many I've spoken about the doco believe this to be the case.

While it's widely accepted that I defend Port Adelaide as much and often as possible, I'll stand up for the club here. Port have, for some time, led the way with giving access to members via PTV ( Port TV ) on the website and if the documentary was planned over the summer to watch a premiership unfold ( as you guys seem to think it was ) why would we go through the production of it and release it to the public after the year we had finishing 9th?

I think the fact the club chose to go through with it shows it was going to go to air regardless.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby MW » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 am

I think all clubs should do it every year.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

MW wrote:I think all clubs should do it every year.

There's a few reasons Port hit the 60,000 members mark this year and it isn't just "match day experience" or the prospect of the team going well, the media and membership department are hitting the right buttons for lots of people, obviously.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 am

Booney wrote:

There's a few reasons Port hit the 60,000 members mark this year and it isn't just "match day experience" or the prospect of the team going well, the media and membership department are hitting the right buttons for lots of people, obviously.

If you guys were hitting the right buttons 5 years ago when you were struggling i bet you wouldn't of hit 60k. Of course winning makes a difference. I don't remember Hawthorn getting big crowds when they were struggling.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Booney wrote:

If you guys were hitting the right buttons 5 years ago when you were struggling i bet you wouldn't of hit 60k. Of course winning makes a difference. I don't remember Hawthorn getting big crowds when they were struggling.

Location helps.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Top post this ^
Many I've spoken about the doco believe this to be the case.

While it's widely accepted that I defend Port Adelaide as much and often as possible, I'll stand up for the club here. Port have, for some time, led the way with giving access to members via PTV ( Port TV ) on the website and if the documentary was planned over the summer to watch a premiership unfold ( as you guys seem to think it was ) why would we go through the production of it and release it to the public after the year we had finishing 9th?

I think the fact the club chose to go through with it shows it was going to go to air regardless.

If they didn't go through with it then it would've been a waste of money, time and effort. Like I said before, I like these docos and they are always good to see what happens before/after games behind closed doors. Perhaps they changed the theme from winning the flag to simply a look at what happens. Not every club that makes one does so because they think they will win the flag i.e. the Bulldogs did it over the '96-97 seasons (The Year of The Dog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFajkMlm8o). For me its just had that feeling that some at Port had it in the back of their mind that a flag is coming and it would be a good idea.

Port's engagement with their fans has been exceptional the last few years, KT and Hinkley have been great in promoting this. This doco further adds to it and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Adelaide did one next season too since the Port one was well received.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby carey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:41 pm

I just seen that Fyfe was taken at pick 20 in the 2009 Draft. We had 3 picks before 20.

6-Butcher
7- Moore and
16- Pittard.

Epic fail!

I guess there's always stories like this tho (James Hird,Chris Grant etc)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

carey wrote:I just seen that Fyfe was taken at pick 20 in the 2009 Draft. We had 3 picks before 20.

6-Butcher
7- Moore and
16- Pittard.

Epic fail!

Worse part for Port with that is they would have seen Pitrard and Moore losely as similar players to Fyfe, in that the hope would have been they would have become midfielders

Butcher is obviously completely different to Fyfe and filled a different need
Last edited by whufc on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

carey wrote:I just seen that Fyfe was taken at pick 20 in the 2009 Draft. We had 3 picks before 20.

6-Butcher
7- Moore and
16- Pittard.

Epic fail!

Melbourne took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott! Shows that finding a gem can make so much difference

the whole top 20 from that year looks very average besides Martin, Talia and probably Sheppard

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (128.6 KiB) Viewed 441 times
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:

6-Butcher
7- Moore and
16- Pittard.

Epic fail!

Melbourne took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott! Shows that finding a gem can make so much difference

the whole top 20 from that year looks very average besides Martin, Talia and probably Sheppard

Capture.JPG

Yeah they're probably the best three from that draft. Other than them Cunnington is a solid footballer in the best 22 at North while Morabito, Menzel and Trengrove are super talented but have unfortunately been hampered by injury. Rohan and Jetta have been solid for Sydney.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:39 pm

there is a few solid footballers there, but you would always be hoping for a superstar with your top 10 picks - probably goes to show how lucky you still need to get
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:43 am

bennymacca wrote:there is a few solid footballers there, but you would always be hoping for a superstar with your top 10 picks - probably goes to show how lucky you still need to get

Lawrence Angwin says 'hi'
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times

Postby stan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 am

bennymacca wrote:there is a few solid footballers there, but you would always be hoping for a superstar with your top 10 picks - probably goes to show how lucky you still need to get

Its still a lottery without any doubt.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:39 am

stan wrote:

Its still a lottery without any doubt.

Absolutely. Fremantle didn't even rate Fyfe as their first choice. Every draft has a story.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 am

Hartlett set to sign a 4 or 5 year deal and be announced this week.

Lobbe open to a trade home.

Young and Moore look set to move.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 am

Did I read right that Port have said Lobbe is a required player?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 am

MW wrote:Did I read right that Port have said Lobbe is a required player?

Correct. We wouldn't want to lose him and I'd think a club would need to be very keen to get him from us.

We have Ryder and Lobbe on our list capable of rucking solo at AFL level. Redden is gone, Frampton isn't ready and the likes of Westhoff, Trengove and if we get Dixon are only part timers at best.

Lobbe is in the leadership group and is 1 year into a 4 year deal. Any club wanting him would have to pay overs right now, if we thought of moving him on and I can't see that happening with Ryder / WADA still on going.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:36 am

Booney wrote:

Correct. We wouldn't want to lose him and I'd think a club would need to be very keen to get him from us.

We have Ryder and Lobbe on our list capable of rucking solo at AFL level. Redden is gone, Frampton isn't ready and the likes of Westhoff, Trengove and if we get Dixon are only part timers at best.

Lobbe is in the leadership group and is 1 year into a 4 year deal. Any club wanting him would have to pay overs right now, if we thought of moving him on and I can't see that happening with Ryder / WADA still on going.

Plus with the lower interchange rotations next year 2 genuine ruckmen will more than likely play each week
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 am

cracka wrote:
Booney wrote:

Plus with the lower interchange rotations next year 2 genuine ruckmen will more than likely play each week

Absolutely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL