Postby MW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 am

correct
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am

One of the reason I think the women's footy in the first or season will remain popular is it's almost like a throwback to the 70's and 80's.

Real combination of good and awful skills but players of all different body shapes and sizes having a fair dinkum crack, with games that umpires to allow that.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:09 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:My wife (who has played women's football) took my 2.5 year old daughter to the game. My daughter loved it, and also was luckily enough to get a signed ball by and photo with Courtney Cramey - SA captain and one of the stalwarts of SA women's footy. She hasn't put it down and still telling everyone she saw the 'Adelaide Crows play' .

I watched 3 of the 4 games, 2 had wet conditions which would have been difficult for anyone. GWS also had their 2 marquee players not playing which doesn't help the skill level....

I also wouldn't compare both men and women's sport. Apples and Oranges. Looking at the women's games in isolation, IMO its a winner and will only get stronger in the years to come. People will still attend (maybe not at the level of the weekend but it will be viable) and skills will improve. With the comp being held early, these players with now 'elite' coaching/competition under there belt will filter back to the SANFL and the local level imparting there experience and knowledge.... win win - on a side note, there are far better players to young to play this year who have been training with the squads ready for next year. One i know dominated the crows intra trial but is only 17.

Is that the SA captain or is she the Crows captain? Id hate you Crows fans to get confused about your place in the football landscape of this state again

C'mon Days, they are twice as important now that they have 2 teams............ just ask their uneducated supporters! :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:14 am

amber_fluid wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:My wife (who has played women's football) took my 2.5 year old daughter to the game. My daughter loved it, and also was luckily enough to get a signed ball by and photo with Courtney Cramey - SA captain and one of the stalwarts of SA women's footy. She hasn't put it down and still telling everyone she saw the 'Adelaide Crows play' .

I watched 3 of the 4 games, 2 had wet conditions which would have been difficult for anyone. GWS also had their 2 marquee players not playing which doesn't help the skill level....

I also wouldn't compare both men and women's sport. Apples and Oranges. Looking at the women's games in isolation, IMO its a winner and will only get stronger in the years to come. People will still attend (maybe not at the level of the weekend but it will be viable) and skills will improve. With the comp being held early, these players with now 'elite' coaching/competition under there belt will filter back to the SANFL and the local level imparting there experience and knowledge.... win win - on a side note, there are far better players to young to play this year who have been training with the squads ready for next year. One i know dominated the crows intra trial but is only 17.

Is that the SA captain or is she the Crows captain? Id hate you Crows fans to get confused about your place in the football landscape of this state again

C'mon Days, they are twice as important now that they have 2 teams............ just ask their uneducated supporters! :lol:

Not sure it's the Crows fans lacking education in this thread.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am

Power supporters as well? ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am

Haven't seen any of the women's footy or followed any of the hype - Probably more because I have other interests this time of year. Similarly I haven't really followed the NAB cup for years either.

Personally I reckon it's great that the girls can now have some serious footy aspirations. If it's not my cup of tea then so be it, Home and Away isn't either so I don't watch it, but am happy for those that do if that's where their interest takes them.

Hard to find anything bad coming out of the new competition I would imagine.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 am

If the AFL are fair dinkum about the women's comp why haven't they appointed men as coaches just to start with?
Surely each club could supply their assistant coach(male) as it is only preseason and the female assistant could be mentored/groomed by them?

The WNBA is a good example of this.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am

JK wrote:Haven't seen any of the women's footy or followed any of the hype - Probably more because I have other interests this time of year. Similarly I haven't really followed the NAB cup for years either.

Personally I reckon it's great that the girls can now have some serious footy aspirations. If it's not my cup of tea then so be it, Home and Away isn't either so I don't watch it, but am happy for those that do if that's where their interest takes them.

You're more of a Neighbours fan? ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:00 am

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:Haven't seen any of the women's footy or followed any of the hype - Probably more because I have other interests this time of year. Similarly I haven't really followed the NAB cup for years either.

You're more of a Neighbours fan? ;)

Lol I nearly used Neighbours instead ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am

amber_fluid wrote:If the AFL are fair dinkum about the women's comp why haven't they appointed men as coaches just to start with?
Surely each club could supply their assistant coach(male) as it is only preseason and the female assistant could be mentored/groomed by them?

Not sure what gender has to do with understanding of the game, coaching experience, coaching qualifications etc etc Also, not all sides are coached by women this would suggest the right person for the job was appointed and no discrimination on basis of gender. Having seen a considerable amount of women's football at local level, Westies, and Morphie parks etc are far more professional than a lot of male A grades, use zones, have set ups around stoppage etc. you guessed it, coached by women :D
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:16 am

Footy Smart wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:If the AFL are fair dinkum about the women's comp why haven't they appointed men as coaches just to start with?

Not sure what gender has to do with understanding of the game, coaching experience, coaching qualifications etc etc Also, not all sides are coached by women this would suggest the right person for the job was appointed and no discrimination on basis of gender. Having seen a considerable amount of women's football at local level, Westies, and Morphie parks etc are far more professional than a lot of male A grades, use zones, have set ups around stoppage etc. you guessed it, coached by women :D

I'm all for the best person for the job........ I don't know much about the local women's league and I'm sure there is some great female coaches out there, but in a new league with greater professionalism wouldn't an AFL assistant coach provide more to initially start with?

This is not about gender but learning from the best available.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

I'm all for the best person for the job........ I don't know much about the local women's league and I'm sure there is some great female coaches out there, but in a new league with greater professionalism wouldn't an AFL assistant coach provide more to initially start with?

This is not about gender but learning from the best available.

I would have thought they are 100% time committed to there role with the men and to contribute the time required to the Women's league wouldn't be feasible.

would be ideal, but not feasible IMO. Im sure there is a level of intra club coaching collaboration - just as important is developing the coaches as is the players
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Even though the skills that quarter were shithouse this is actually a bloody good game of footy! By far the most intense game I've seen myself so far. Be interesting to see if that continues through the game.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

How good is Erin Phillips gonna be?
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Erin's interview on The Weekly with Charlie Pickering:

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Crows premiership favs ??
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Far too early to call premiership hopes from any team yet. I think any team if you have an injury or 2 then they could be ******.

Big worry for me with this comp is it's becoming common that the losing team is only kicking 1 or 2 goals. That needs to improve for the game to be successful long term.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Love the Texan though!
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Far too early to call premiership hopes from any team yet. I think any team if you have an injury or 2 then they could be ******.

Big worry for me with this comp is it's becoming common that the losing team is only kicking 1 or 2 goals. That needs to improve for the game to be successful long term.

2.11 not like they didnt have their chances. Just burned it in front of goals
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 pm

In fairness the ones they burnt they never looked like kicking
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL