Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

Zartan wrote:Howard kicked 8 goals - against the bottom, winless side.. when he can put together regular performances in front of goal on the board then i'll agree.
Neade kicked 1 against the same side!!

Zartan wrote:Neade provides the F50 pressure that was clearly lacking last weekend, and he's able to hit the scoreboard. I think Neade/Young in the side frees up Gray to spend more time up the ground in the midfield where i think Port have missed his creativity around the contest.
Pressure is all well and good but we need more than that up there. Otherwise we might as well just pick 21 Sam Grays, Jake Neades and Tom Rischbieth's and provide tall the "pressure" in the world and lose by 30 goals. When did ability to provide pressure overtake ability to kick goals as a selection requisite?

I get this fad about pressure. You need one... maybe two. But not three. Especially when we're playing Trengove as the second tall.

Neade, Gray, Impey are all in this category. Swap one of them out for Howard or Eddy, make the other structural changes and I am happy.

Zartan wrote:Brett Eddy is the one i think is over due for a crack - he's kicked 25 goals this year, and in his 8 games so far has kicked 3 or more on 6 occasions!
Sure. Howard or Eddy I would be happy with.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 am

Howard, as noted, kicked 8 against the bottom side with some quality delivery. He needs at least 2 or 3 weeks of proper returns to make his way into the side. Monfries had 3 or 4 weeks of very good play and couldn't break in, Howard needs the same and couple that with coming back from an ACL.

For our press to work we need to apply pressure to the opposition defenders to allow time for our mids and half back to get to the wing and beyond and clog space. Neade, while I'm a little puzzled by his selection, is averaging 9 tackles per game and 4 tackles I50. If he can do that it will help our press.

I disagree with you morell, on the structure. If we play Ryder, Dixon, Trengove, Westhoff all at the offensive end of our side we can't, IMO, afford another tall.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

morell wrote:Pressure is all well and good but we need more than that up there. Otherwise we might as well just pick 21 Sam Grays, Jake Neades and Tom Rischbieth's and provide tall the "pressure" in the world and lose by 30 goals. When did ability to provide pressure overtake ability to kick goals as a selection requisite?

Balance is key of course - it's not all about picking defensive forwards, but you cant down play the value of a genuine defensive forward. Neade may have only kicked 1 goal last week, but he made 9x tackles, had 11x handballs and 4x I50 entries - blokes like Howard, Eddy, Young are the direct beneficiary of him being able to chase, apply pressure and force turnovers either through skill errors or tackles forcing ball free.

Watching the Essendon game last week it was embarrassing watching the ease in which the Bombers were not only able to bring the ball out of D50, but use the ball with efficiency and come back into the corridor and run the ball. Gray doesn't work hard enough defensively, neither does Wingard. Dixon does, but he hasn't the leg speed to chase, and Trengove - well think we've established he's at the wrong end of the ground.

Impey plays more as a high half forward - and if he isn't, at least having Neade in there allows him to, and Sam Gray i've seen a lot around the ground - is he chopping out in the midfield more?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3199 times
Been liked: 4057 times

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am

Booney wrote:Howard, as noted, kicked 8 against the bottom side with some quality delivery. He needs at least 2 or 3 weeks of proper returns to make his way into the side. Monfries had 3 or 4 weeks of very good play and couldn't break in, Howard needs the same and couple that with coming back from an ACL.
Again, Neade kicked 1, against that some bottom side with quality delivery. I could argue that 9 tackles against the equivalent of speccy bag SANFL plebs isn't that impressive.

And yes, Monfries should've played earlier as well. Two wrongs (and more) don't make a right.

If we're worried about Howards knee (hes been playing for 8 weeks now) then OK, bring in Eddy.

Booney wrote:For our press to work we need to apply pressure to the opposition defenders to allow time for our mids and half back to get to the wing and beyond and clog space. Neade, while I'm a little puzzled by his selection, is averaging 9 tackles per game and 4 tackles I50. If he can do that it will help our press.
Yeah I get that, Howard had 4 tackles BTW, hardly a Young type effort.

Is Youngy playing? Oh yeah. He is. :roll:

So the argument for Neade is about pressure, so we bring him in, but the argument for young is that he kicked goals?

Booney wrote:I disagree with you morell, on the structure. If we play Ryder, Dixon, Trengove, Westhoff all at the offensive end of our side we can't, IMO, afford another tall.
Nah, Trengove to the backlines and Westy on his wing/high flank and pushing down when we're under the pump. And Ryder is a ruckman.

So of those the only ones I would be playing at the offensive end is ... Dixon.

Hence the problem! We only have one key forward!! The opposition know it and we get exploited - by the smart teams anyway.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

morell wrote:So the argument for Neade is about pressure, so we bring him in, but the argument for young is that he kicked goals?

For me, yes Neade for the pressure, but Young is more versatile than Howard so it's not all about goals.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:Pressure is all well and good but we need more than that up there. Otherwise we might as well just pick 21 Sam Grays, Jake Neades and Tom Rischbieth's and provide tall the "pressure" in the world and lose by 30 goals. When did ability to provide pressure overtake ability to kick goals as a selection requisite?

Balance is key of course - it's not all about picking defensive forwards, but you cant down play the value of a genuine defensive forward. Neade may have only kicked 1 goal last week, but he made 9x tackles, had 11x handballs and 4x I50 entries - blokes like Howard, Eddy, Young are the direct beneficiary of him being able to chase, apply pressure and force turnovers either through skill errors or tackles forcing ball free.
Sure. Thats all fine.

Pick Howard or Eddy instead of Young then.

Or Impey. Or S.Gray.

There are a myriad of shit house small-medium forwards we can drop.

Zartan wrote:Watching the Essendon game last week it was embarrassing watching the ease in which the Bombers were not only able to bring the ball out of D50, but use the ball with efficiency and come back into the corridor and run the ball. Gray doesn't work hard enough defensively, neither does Wingard. Dixon does, but he hasn't the leg speed to chase, and Trengove - well think we've established he's at the wrong end of the ground.
Agree with this sort of.

There is no need to apply defensive rebound pressure if its the boundary umpire rebounding the ball back to the centre ;)

We look like we have to have a lot of defensive forwards because we don't have enough marking targets. So the ball hits the ground more. So then their rebounding defenders look like millionaires.

Chicken and Egg.

Zartan wrote:Impey plays more as a high half forward - and if he isn't, at least having Neade in there allows him to, and Sam Gray i've seen a lot around the ground - is he chopping out in the midfield more?
They're all interchangeable in my mind eg

Forward who doesn't kick goals or take marks but does lots of other stuff. Apparently.
Last edited by morell on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:So the argument for Neade is about pressure, so we bring him in, but the argument for young is that he kicked goals?

For me, yes Neade for the pressure, but Young is more versatile than Howard so it's not all about goals.
As an individual player he might be more versatile but the structural freedom Howard (or Eddy) provides means the team becomes better structured to kick goals.

That's the thing about key position players. They're.... key. :lol:
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:55 am

I'm with you that i think Eddy should play (not Howard for a bit), and i agree that Trengove belongs at the other end of the ground.. but.. Hinkley obviously is set in his thought process of making the Trengove forward experiment work, so just have to work around that lol.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:47 pm

morells Crystal ball...

Port to win by 8 goals.

No changes for Collingwood, injuries aside.

Collingwood by 5 goals.

Out: Hartlett
In: Pittard
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:55 pm

morell wrote:morells Crystal ball...

Port to win by 8 goals.

Collingwood by 5 goals.

Such a pessimist lol :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Port to win by 8 goals.

Collingwood by 5 goals.

8 goals will be the lead at quarter time. FTB.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2648 times
Been liked: 1871 times

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Zartan wrote:

Port to win by 8 goals.

Collingwood by 5 goals.

Such a pessimist lol :lol:
Experienced*
morell
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Seen Howard play have you?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2437 times
Been liked: 1671 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Went to the Port Club last night with Ken Hinkley and Chad Cornes on the stand for "Talking Footy".

For Adelaide fans a club is a place where you can go and have a schnitty and a beer, talk to other members of the club and even bump into players who aren't looking down on you from an ivory tower. ;)

Ken said, among other things :

- Youngy just had to come back in after his efforts last week in the SANFL
- Neadey is in for the pressure inside F50 that he felt we've lacked for several weeks, despite still winning it could be better
- Eddy and Howard are close, but balance keeps them out against certain opposition
- Jacko to go back? No, next question.

Chad said, among other things :

- Atley and Drew showing really promising signs as inside mids
- Marshall, Frampton and the two mentioned above are all set for solid careers and the recruiting staff have picked some rippers
- Is very impressed with Irra and Lienert who have shown real improvement since going into the full time system
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Seen Howard play have you?

6 AFL games. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:35 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Seen Howard play have you?
Amazing thing that internet. The world and it's wonders I tells ya.

morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Booney wrote:Youngy just had to come back in after his efforts last week in the SANFL
Just had to he reckons. HAD to. Howard kicked more goals and is better suited to our structure.

Nah balance, morell, balance.

Let's just call a spade a spade.

Ken Hinkley is a heightist.
morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm

jeez you port lads jump off quick. no wonder the tarps come out.

you could be in the 4 this week!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:jeez you port lads jump off quick. no wonder the tarps come out.

We exist to win Premierships. Not sell Toyota's and be nice boys for our customers.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:jeez you port lads jump off quick. no wonder the tarps come out.

My bum is firmly on my seat mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL