Adelaide Crows 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 pm

MW wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:also bring some apricot slices to share with people near you

You don't think they would have brought their own?

(hey this is fun!)

You can never have too much apricot slice :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1441 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby morell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks all. Looks like we're stuffed. Will be able to get tickets but yeah, wanted something a bit better.

Might book a fancy room at the Intercontinental to make up for it.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby hawks21 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

Peoples thoughts on the whole Lever situation?
My take is he is staying and his manager is just trying to get the best deal possible for his client. Bit like Dusty who won't leave the Tigers.
No doubt all Vic clubs are lining up if he does decide to go home. What i find funny is that each media 'guru' runs different stories each week with a different team. Atm, he's going to the Dogs, Pies, Saints and Roos! No consistent rumours coming out of Melbourne.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 am

You forgot about Melbourne....

Until he's put pen to paper, I am assuming he's leaving based on our track record of retaining players.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2654 times
Been liked: 1882 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am

Hawthorn will be shopping for a key defender/marking defender. Hodge and Gibson gone this year, they'll be desperate for a bloke to run the back line.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7543 times
Been liked: 10874 times

Postby hawks21 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

Booney wrote:Hawthorn will be shopping for a key defender/marking defender. Hodge and Gibson gone this year, they'll be desperate for a bloke to run the back line.

Hawthorn are an interesting one, no draft picks after last year. I think they will try and get back into the draft rather than trade again.
Might turn into a bidding war if he does decide to go home!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 am

hawks21 wrote:
Booney wrote:Hawthorn will be shopping for a key defender/marking defender. Hodge and Gibson gone this year, they'll be desperate for a bloke to run the back line.

Hawthorn are an interesting one, no draft picks after last year. I think they will try and get back into the draft rather than trade again.
Might turn into a bidding war if he does decide to go home!

Hawthorn would be the club Adelaide should approach if they know Lever is going. Adelaide could pick any player from the midfield they wanted and throw in a future pick or two that, most likely, will be fairly high given most people expect the Hawks to drop a little.

I don't think the Hawks can go back to the draft, they've got barely any this year and need to add something to their back half desperately, it won't be pick 102 that gets them a key defender ready for 2018.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 am

I'm not sure they have a player we need other than maybe Burton or Mitchell but they are not leaving the Hawks and the Hawks quite rightly wouldn't offer them.

I think I would be more disappointed in Lever than any other player leaving if he does go. Took a risk on his comeback from a broken leg when others didn't. I understand the taking the huge money offered from the expansion clubs, Dangerfield going home for his wife and even Gunston who wasn't a 22 game player a season for the Crows but not Lever
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 am

We simply cannot carry any injuries into September.. To have a decent tilt at it we have to be fully fit

the positive to be taken out of yesterday, is it showed our best is seriously unbelievable, and I reckon it is better than anyone else in the comp. Our sheer scoring power means we are always in games.. We cant have those sorts of lapses for that long though against finals quality sides

The draw means 2 wins from the remaining 4 games gets us top 2, given GWS and Geelong play each other in round 23..

Ahhhhhhh, showdown week..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am

human_torpedo wrote:We simply cannot carry any injuries into September.. To have a decent tilt at it we have to be fully fit

the positive to be taken out of yesterday, is it showed our best is seriously unbelievable, and I reckon it is better than anyone else in the comp. Our sheer scoring power means we are always in games.. We cant have those sorts of lapses for that long though against finals quality sides

The draw means 2 wins from the remaining 4 games gets us top 2, given GWS and Geelong play each other in round 23..

That scoring power is why I didn't think the match was sealed when we were 50 points up. Hard to keep them down all game and modern footy means goals can be scored quickly.

FFS.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby MW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am

Agree re. injuries. Got exposed in every area on the ground without Crouch, Betts and Lever out.
In saying that, if our midfield pressure was better in the first half, it would have made all the difference.
You can't defend against Taylor Adams streaming through the centre of the ground kicking them from outside 50 as a defender...that's the mids job to apply pressure. It was non existent in the first half.
I hope the reviews concentrate on that rather than back slapping for the 2nd half.
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 am

To me they were just lazy in the first half and Collingwood played well. Top team should not be 50 points down early in the third quarter and Im sick of hearing the past 16 hours it was a great effort to draw! Should never have been in that situation. Even in the last quarter we get within 3 points and some players thought the job was done and stopped running and Collingwood would just roll over but to their credit they just kept on coming.

Badly need another midfielder to cover when Sloane is under control. Good midfields bat 6 or 7 deep, ours is about 4.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 am

MW wrote:Agree re. injuries. Got exposed in every area on the ground without Crouch, Betts and Lever out.
In saying that, if our midfield pressure was better in the first half, it would have made all the difference.
You can't defend against Taylor Adams streaming through the centre of the ground kicking them from outside 50 as a defender...that's the mids job to apply pressure. It was non existent in the first half.
I hope the reviews concentrate on that rather than back slapping for the 2nd half.

Our midfield depth with only 1 injury is my concern. I like RIley Knight, but he isnt ready to push through the mids yet.. Wigg isnt the answer in the mids, not even as cover (go nuts with puns again pls), he is a back flanker at best at AFL level. We were butchered in the midfield in the first half, we sorely missed B Crouch. It wont get any easier come finals either, thats my concern..

Our big names do go missing for chunks of games, Jenkins first half may well go down as one of the all time worst halves of football. Tex is a superb decision maker and his skill execution by foot is elite, but he goes missing for large portions of games at times. Sloane still cant shake a tag, and thats a blue print now, so he must get used to it. Chris Scott im still convinced was just trolling us by not tagging him heavily in last weeks game..

Matt Crouch is a star. As is his brother. Can only imagine how tough it would have been earning kicks between them in the backyard as kids
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 am

How different the game would have been if Collingwood hadn't butchered that certain goal just before half time.

Cudos to Pyke, turned a potato into Josh Jenkins at half time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 am

How do you know re. Wigg? He had 34 touches on the w/end...
Just give him a go and see.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 am

Crows fans :

Milera
Cameron
Knight

Consistent enough for you or need to be sent back?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am

Exactly right torpey.

Adelaide could cop an injury to one of the forwards or a defender or two and still be fine. But if any of Sloane, Crouch x2 or Jacobs get hurt I reckon it would be tough to beat the upper end of the 8 type teams.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

human_torpedo wrote:We simply cannot carry any injuries into September.. To have a decent tilt at it we have to be fully fit

Adelaide do have the best attack, but ease up on the seriously unbelievable, Collingwood have a very ordinary defensive unit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

Booney wrote:Crows fans :

Milera
Cameron
Knight

IMO...

Mliera not quite up to it yet
Cameron has to bridge the gap between his best and worst
Knight I like and would keep on playing.

All 3 are young and played less than 50 games
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:19 am

Booney wrote:Crows fans :

Milera
Cameron
Knight

Milera first game back (in any form) since calf injury. In saying that, I would like Wigg to be given a go in his place.
Cameron is worth the punt for his speed although doesn't get enough of it
Knight seems to do a decent 'tagging' job lately so I would persist with him
MW
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL