Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby beef » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am

No, but no one should be awarded it. Otherwise im hitting up sportsbet for the $100 i had on Sam Mitchell
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am

beef wrote:No, but no one should be awarded it. Otherwise im hitting up sportsbet for the $100 i had on Sam Mitchell

Was going to be my next question.

So Watson is stripped, like the NRL did with the Storms premierships, do the history books show nobody won it that year?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:Lol at the wanker Kingy

His comment was the next lot of talent for Essendon to look at is not at the wafl or at the sanfl it's on AFL rookie lists

Lol has he seen half the blokes running around at state league level most of them struggle big time

King can occasionally make a good point but invariably always shoots himself in the foot. His rookie list theory may well have some merit, but what, he just expects clubs to give up their players for a club that are solely responsible for the predicament they're in??

Maybe I got it wrong but I thought he was talking about the Essendon rookies being promoted first and then the AFL letting them add more rookies to replace them, not guys already at other clubs.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:27 am

JK wrote:

His comment was the next lot of talent for Essendon to look at is not at the wafl or at the sanfl it's on AFL rookie lists

Lol has he seen half the blokes running around at state league level most of them struggle big time

King can occasionally make a good point but invariably always shoots himself in the foot. His rookie list theory may well have some merit, but what, he just expects clubs to give up their players for a club that are solely responsible for the predicament they're in??

That won't happen. I think they should only be allowed their own rookies and their VFL side as top ups, nothing more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

JK wrote:

What if they could loan out their rookie list players like what soccer clubs do?

Getting some experience into your rookie listed players may not be a bad thing.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 am

beef wrote:No, but no one should be awarded it. Otherwise im hitting up sportsbet for the $100 i had on Sam Mitchell

No different to betting on a juiced up racehorse, they take the win from the horse and give it to the second place getter but the punters payouts don't change.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 am

Booney wrote:

Was going to be my next question.

So Watson is stripped, like the NRL did with the Storms premierships, do the history books show nobody won it that year?

That's what I reckon should happen. Wouldn't think that's the ideal result for the AFL though so will be interesting to see what happens.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:37 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

What if they could loan out their rookie list players like what soccer clubs do?

That would require some fair constitutional change, and imho isn't something that should be drawn up for such a one off anomalous circumstance.

But in general I don't think it's a terrible idea and could well be something the clubs and brains-trust could throw around the table for future seasons.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

Game plans, team structures, intellectual property, won't happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

That won't happen. I think they should only be allowed their own rookies and their VFL side as top ups, nothing more.

Allowed to upgrade our 5 rookies and then take up to 10 players from elsewhere such as recent retirees or other state leagues.
I think we will take 5 or 6 max and mostly from our VFL side
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

Game plans, team structures, intellectual property, won't happen.

That was my first thought too, but those things are also present in other competitions that do see benefit in a loan system. The bigger difference is those other comps often don't have salary caps, so clubs can loan out players for both financial and development purposes.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am

Booney wrote:In a word, Watson keeps his Brownlow, yes or no?

For mine, no.

So does Cousins lose his as well?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:22 am

What was cousins found guilty of?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 am

Players and coaches change clubs all the time as it is, though granted that isn't usually during a season.

I honestly doubt that a rookie could go into a club and get any sort of info that the clubs didn't already know. The exception might be game day stuff, ala matchups etc.

I reckon there would be benefits to both player and club if something like this was allowed.

There has been talk about mid season draft/ trading periods and if it was implemented a loan system could form part of that.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 am

DOC wrote:

For mine, no.

Why, was Cousins suspended retrospectively for the year in which he won the medal? I don't think he was....plus, he was suspended for "Bringing the game into disrepute" not for taking a banned substance.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 am

bennymacca wrote:Players and coaches change clubs all the time as it is, though granted that isn't usually during a season.

I honestly doubt that a rookie could go into a club and get any sort of info that the clubs didn't already know. The exception might be game day stuff, ala matchups etc.

I reckon there would be benefits to both player and club if something like this was allowed.

There has been talk about mid season draft/ trading periods and if it was implemented a loan system could form part of that.

I simply can't see a loan program ever being in the AFL system.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am

Booney wrote:
DOC wrote:

For mine, no.

Why, was Cousins suspended retrospectively for the year in which he won the medal? I don't think he was....plus, he was suspended for "Bringing the game into disrepute" not for taking a banned substance.

Yep, you can't really compare the two imo.

Would an Olympic sprinter lose his gold medal? Of course he would. This is no different
bennymacca
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 am

Cousins was found to have bought the game into disrepute for such things as drug use. Received a 12 month ban.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:36 am

His medal was 2005. He was banned at the back end of 2007. Without researching it, I am not sure if any of the incidents that culminated in the ban were from 2005. From memory though I think he admitted to drug use during the season for a number of years.

To use a current term I am reasonably satisfied that he used drugs during the 2005 season which rules out the fairest component of the award.
DOC
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:48 am

DOC wrote:His medal was 2005. He was banned at the back end of 2007. Without researching it, I am not sure if any of the incidents that culminated in the ban were from 2005. From memory though I think he admitted to drug use during the season for a number of years.

To use a current term I am reasonably satisfied that he used drugs during the 2005 season which rules out the fairest component of the award.

On 16 October 2007, Cousins' car was stopped in Northbridge and searched. He was arrested for drug possession and refusing to submit to a blood test. The Eagles sacked him the next day, which meant that he was no longer a registered AFL player.On 19 November, he was banned from playing senior football for 12 months by the AFL Commission for "bringing the game into disrepute",and was formally delisted by West Coast on 30 November. Eagles officials said that he would never appear in an Eagles guernsey again, and AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said it would be "extremely difficult" for him to ever return to the AFL.

So he wasn't suspended for anything relating to the playing field. No, Cousins keeps his, it's just not as shiny as it once was.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL