Round 11 - a short one

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 11 - a short one

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:Awww, poor Hamish Hartlett was on Channel 9 tonight, not happy with the umpires as he got a slap in the face.
You embody hardness mate. HTFU.
Who would follow these soft front running wankers?

FB_IMG_1434113175308.jpg

Why would anyone follow North Adelaide, South Adelaide, Glenelg or St Kilda or Footscray? Why would they follow Hawthorn, Norwood or Sydney? Why? Because that's their team mate, through thick for some and ******* thin for others, that's their team.

So, does that make us all "wankers" for different reasons? Probably. Present company and yours truly included. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7639 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Wedgie is reeling them in for sure. However, Port have become soft. Logan's (42?) massive flop when given a nudge from Stevie J would have made Stevie himself blush, if not even Lindsay Thomas. Hartlett meanwhile, is playing bruise free football..trying to get through the game without putting his body on the line. Westhoff has the physical intensity of Jack Watts. Lobbe didn't take a mark for the entire match. Boak put in one of the softest efforts ever seen by a Port Captain.

This time last year Port spanked us off the park. This year they were so frightened to take the game on they kicked it to their fans in the first three rows instead. Where is the run and gun from last year? Before you Porties haul me out to dry a la Wedgie I thought Wingard was simply brilliant and you couldn't question the effort of Brad Ebert, Hombsch and Carlisle who flogged an out of sorts Tom Hawkins. I thought Jasper, while he makes mistakes at least goes in hard which is why I don't get the hate for him (not so much from this site). Jarman Impey also played a servicable game.

I think Port are lacking depth, especially in the big man department and this is an area where Geelong are well stocked. Our game plan sucks balls because we kick it high and long. It worked ok against Port because Port's talls were not taking marks and Carlisle was left to do it all alone on many occasions.

How can a midfield that contains Ollie Wines, Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and Brad Ebert lower their colours to an undermanned Cat midfield? Have a look at the blood on Selwood and Caddy and you have your answer. Guthrie loses points for long sleeves in the second half. Toughen up! :)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1728 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Awww, poor Hamish Hartlett was on Channel 9 tonight, not happy with the umpires as he got a slap in the face.
You embody hardness mate. HTFU.
Who would follow these soft front running wankers?

FB_IMG_1434113175308.jpg

Why would anyone follow North Adelaide, South Adelaide, Glenelg or St Kilda or Footscray? Why would they follow Hawthorn, Norwood or Sydney? Why? Because that's their team mate, through thick for some and ******* thin for others, that's their team.

So, does that make us all "wankers" for different reasons? Probably. Present company and yours truly included. :lol:

Where did I call supporters wankers?
Cool story bro.

PS I can understand people following North, South, Footscray, Norwood or Sydney, I could even understand people following the now defunct previous Port Adelaide.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Wedgie is reeling them in for sure. However, Port have become soft. Logan's (42?) massive flop when given a nudge from Stevie J would have made Stevie himself blush, if not even Lindsay Thomas. Hartlett meanwhile, is playing bruise free football..trying to get through the game without putting his body on the line. Westhoff has the physical intensity of Jack Watts. Lobbe didn't take a mark for the entire match. Boak put in one of the softest efforts ever seen by a Port Captain.

This time last year Port spanked us off the park. This year they were so frightened to take the game on they kicked it to their fans in the first three rows instead. Where is the run and gun from last year? Before you Porties haul me out to dry a la Wedgie I thought Wingard was simply brilliant and you couldn't question the effort of Brad Ebert, Hombsch and Carlisle who flogged an out of sorts Tom Hawkins. I thought Jasper, while he makes mistakes at least goes in hard which is why I don't get the hate for him (not so much from this site). Jarman Impey also played a servicable game.

I think Port are lacking depth, especially in the big man department and this is an area where Geelong are well stocked. Our game plan sucks balls because we kick it high and long. It worked ok against Port because Port's talls were not taking marks and Carlisle was left to do it all alone on many occasions.

How can a midfield that contains Ollie Wines, Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and Brad Ebert lower their colours to an undermanned Cat midfield? Have a look at the blood on Selwood and Caddy and you have your answer. Guthrie loses points for long sleeves in the second half. Toughen up! :)

regards,

REB

Speaking of Wingard I had to look up to see if he was of indigenous descent or not as he has that magic about him, was glad to see he had similar heritage to myself with both indigenous and Irish connections. Gun player.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

Wedgie Bog at the moment. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Wedgie is reeling them in for sure. However, Port have become soft. Logan's (42?) massive flop when given a nudge from Stevie J would have made Stevie himself blush, if not even Lindsay Thomas. Hartlett meanwhile, is playing bruise free football..trying to get through the game without putting his body on the line. Westhoff has the physical intensity of Jack Watts. Lobbe didn't take a mark for the entire match. Boak put in one of the softest efforts ever seen by a Port Captain.

regards,

REB

If his intent is to "reel them in"...good luck to him. Short memory though, the Catters spent a life time with the tag of being the first to throw a hand bag if things went wrong. As I noted above though, people support their teams through thick and thin as that's what footy fans do. Some fans are worth discussing footy with.

On a serious note that promotes sensible discussion, some of your assessment is correct Rik E, some of it not so IMHO.

Since Hinkley arrived Port have played a very similar style. It's been well documented as fast ball movement through the corridor to either forwards one out or out the back into an open goal. It's great we have a clear plan, it's great that this has been adhered to by our playing group and our coaching staff without exception. The problem is our opponents know what our intent is, our game style,what our plan of attack is and they block the corridor when we have the ball in defence and our back half seem to struggle when plan A is off the table. Our forwards lose structure and we seem almost impotent going forward when we boast, I think, one of the most damaging forward half combinations in the game. Where is it going wrong?

So, the question is, what is the next plan ( if there is another ) and / or how long do we persist with this game plan that is clearly countered by opposition scouts and coaches?

IIRC, Talking Footy last night said we've won 11 of our last 25 matches? In that though is a 4 point loss to Sydney in Sydney late last year, 3 point prelim loss to Hawthorn and a goal and a bit to Freo in Freo to start this year. As well as wins over Freo in Freo and Hawthorn. So we can match it with the best, no question.

But when you throw in getting pumped by Brisbane in Brisbane this year, not turning up against Richmond the following week and looking completely out of sorts Friday night against a side that in all honesty is probably a rung or two below us on the ladder when both current squads are at their best I'm wondering now what our direction is.

While the players are under the pump at the moment I'm interested in what the coaching group has up their collective sleeves in the coming weeks. I'm not hitting a panic button by any means, but I'm interested to see how we structure up this week against Carlton and then how we return after the bye.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:

regards,

REB

Speaking of Wingard I had to look up to see if he was of indigenous descent or not as he has that magic about him, was glad to see he had similar heritage to myself with both indigenous and Irish connections. Gun player.

So why no football ability Wegs? ;-)
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Booney wrote:

But when you throw in getting pumped by Brisbane in Brisbane this year, not turning up against Richmond the following week and looking completely out of sorts Friday night against a side that in all honesty is probably a rung or two below us on the ladder when both current squads are at their best I'm wondering now what our direction is.

Hmm...won more games over the last 25, finished ahead of you on the ladder last season and above you on the ladder again this season, no visits to Cat Park over the past two years....and with Bartel, Duncan and Clark out of our best 22 I don't think a rung or two below you is an honest assessment..at least from the club point of view. Do you blokes believe your own press?

I must say I did LOL. I thought you blokes were going to pump us as I said. Right now we'd have to be level pegging IMO.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Hmm...won more games over the last 25, finished ahead of you on the ladder last season and above you on the ladder again this season, no visits to Cat Park over the past two years....and with Bartel, Duncan and Clark out of our best 22 I don't think a rung or two below you is an honest assessment..at least from the club point of view. Do you blokes believe your own press?

I must say I did LOL. I thought you blokes were going to pump us as I said. Right now we'd have to be level pegging IMO.

regards,

REB

You guys have been a revelation, I thought you were poop earlier in the season, gave you no chance of making the 8. I was wrong.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4367 times
Been liked: 8082 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:07 pm

We can't beat the good sides. If you lose to us it's not a good sign. Or maybe it's just this year's top four we can't beat. So far that's Hawks, Sydney, Freo and West Coast. Yep, they'd be the ones. Not so much of a revelation that we were going to slide, it was always going to happen and remember the mighty Catters have never finished lower than 12th so I'm not sure just how far you expected us to slide.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:We can't beat the good sides. If you lose to us it's not a good sign. Or maybe it's just this year's top four we can't beat. So far that's Hawks, Sydney, Freo and West Coast. Yep, they'd be the ones. Not so much of a revelation that we were going to slide, it was always going to happen and remember the mighty Catters have never finished lower than 12th so I'm not sure just how far you expected us to slide.

regards,

REB

On the same token, we've only had 18 sides for a few years, I didn't expect you's to bottom out but after just scraping over the line against the suns at Kardinia I didn't hold much hope for the Cats.
They are my favourite Victorian team and I'll always have a part of me barracking for them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:We can't beat the good sides. If you lose to us it's not a good sign. Or maybe it's just this year's top four we can't beat. So far that's Hawks, Sydney, Freo and West Coast. Yep, they'd be the ones. Not so much of a revelation that we were going to slide, it was always going to happen and remember the mighty Catters have never finished lower than 12th so I'm not sure just how far you expected us to slide.

regards,

REB

On the same token, we've only had 18 sides for a few years, I didn't expect you's to bottom out but after just scraping over the line against the suns at Kardinia I didn't hold much hope for the Cats.
They are my favourite Victorian team and I'll always have a part of me barracking for them.

Is there any other team that has never finished 13th or lower in the AFL era? The Crows maybe?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

Is there any other team that has never finished 13th or lower in the AFL era? The Crows maybe?

regards,

REB

i seem to recall most clubs going through a lull at some stage in my era.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

regards,

REB

13th in 1999 and 14th in 2011
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am

regards,

REB

Therein lies my point to counter the below.

We can match the good sides, we can beat the good sides. We beat Fremantle in Fremantle in a final last year, we beat Hawthorn in Adelaide this year, we lost to Sydney in Sydney last year by 4 points without Hartlett and played an injured Boak.

We have the ability to do that....then like you say, if sides are losing to Geelong ( no ill intent, your words ) then you're in trouble. I don't think Geelong are that bad at the moment, the keys to success are still there, perhaps you're just missing some killer instinct after the period of success you've had in recent years.

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:20 am

Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

We can match the good sides, we can beat the good sides. We beat Fremantle in Fremantle in a final last year, we beat Hawthorn in Adelaide this year, we lost to Sydney in Sydney last year by 4 points without Hartlett and played an injured Boak.

We have the ability to do that....then like you say, if sides are losing to Geelong ( no ill intent, your words ) then you're in trouble. I don't think Geelong are that bad at the moment, the keys to success are still there, perhaps you're just missing some killer instinct after the period of success you've had in recent years.

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

You also have the ability to lose to teams you should beat. Like us. So this weekend I reckon Carlton are a massive chance.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Booney wrote:

regards,

REB

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Maybe we just match up well on your blokes. Except for last year. I thought something similar was on the cards last week.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Pretty much expected from the crows
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:Pretty much expected from the crows

It's just where they're at relative to their opposition .. Sooner or later, they need to beat one of the big teams else remain trapped in mediocrity. I think a new coach buys them a season.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3017 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL