Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Don't you love the tough blokes @ each club. Still remember Glen Archer in the media saying he thanked god after he stepped up to Wayne Carey in the Crows v Roos match @ Etihad that Carey didn't take it to the next level because he would have had the s*** beaten out of him after seeing Carey in the ring @ training.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Open Mike

Postby test » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Don't you love the tough blokes @ each club. Still remember Glen Archer in the media saying he thanked god after he stepped up to Wayne Carey in the Crows v Roos match @ Etihad that Carey didn't take it to the next level because he would have had the s*** beaten out of him after seeing Carey in the ring @ training.

Yeah the old man always told me a good big bloke will always beat a great little bloke, considering they rekon Carey is better then good Archer was lucky, although it made for good viewing when he shaped up to him in that game!
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby dee man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:21 pm

test wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Don't you love the tough blokes @ each club. Still remember Glen Archer in the media saying he thanked god after he stepped up to Wayne Carey in the Crows v Roos match @ Etihad that Carey didn't take it to the next level because he would have had the s*** beaten out of him after seeing Carey in the ring @ training.

Yeah the old man always told me a good big bloke will always beat a great little bloke, considering they rekon Carey is better then good Archer was lucky, although it made for good viewing when he shaped up to him in that game!

understand quiet well where arch was coming from and yes the duck was good in the ring but anyone who knows arch and his back ground would know very well who to put their ten bucks on...........
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 am

dee man wrote:
test wrote:

understand quiet well where arch was coming from and yes the duck was good in the ring but anyone who knows arch and his back ground would know very well who to put their ten bucks on...........

10 on Carey easily.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
dee man wrote:
test wrote:

10 on Carey easily.

Wrong.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5712 times
Been liked: 5277 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby dee man » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:48 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
dee man wrote:
test wrote:

10 on Carey easily.

sorry mate,wrong man
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Postby stampy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 pm

the duck easily
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 345 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby dee man » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:12 am

stampy wrote:the duck easily

sorry again mate
the duck was very good with the gloves but the result would be the same
now if it was ducks brother ,thats another story,just ask big mick
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Postby Pag » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Didn't Archer say he was glad Carey didn't hit him because nobody could compete with the Duck in a one-on-one fistfight?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Really enjoyed Martin Pike, I used to enjoy watching him play and he was honest and upfront in the interview.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby dee man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am

Pag wrote:Didn't Archer say he was glad Carey didn't hit him because nobody could compete with the Duck in a one-on-one fistfight?

that was based on the boxing they do in the ring back then at training
out on the street,the shin boner of the century had no peer
was well known to alot outside of footy and was known to go hard at the old red back hotel in melbourne
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Postby valleys07 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Brad wrote:Really enjoyed Martin Pike, I used to enjoy watching him play and he was honest and upfront in the interview.

Agree Brad, however I didnt enjoy the clarity of the interview (thought pike was disinterested at times and come across very monotone).

I did like the questions Mike through at him and did get Pike to express his enjoyment and passion for the game, both on and off the field.

I loved his answer when questioned about the comments made to Darryl and Shane Wakelin about sleeping with the light on- something along the lines of "if they are offended by my comments, then maybe they do sleep with the light on" :lol:

Also can't believe that he spent his last 5 years at brisbane on a base salary of $80k.......must've been tough, having an inkling on what the voss', the blacks, the akermanis' and the browns would have been earning. But as he said, he walks away with 4 premiership medals and he had to work hard for them, and thats what matters at the end of the day.

Very good player in a few sensational sides.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1173 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby GWW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Don Scott coming up in the next instalment :shock:
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 am

valleys07 wrote:
Brad wrote:Really enjoyed Martin Pike, I used to enjoy watching him play and he was honest and upfront in the interview.

Agree Brad, however I didnt enjoy the clarity of the interview (thought pike was disinterested at times and come across very monotone).

I did like the questions Mike through at him and did get Pike to express his enjoyment and passion for the game, both on and off the field.

I loved his answer when questioned about the comments made to Darryl and Shane Wakelin about sleeping with the light on- something along the lines of "if they are offended by my comments, then maybe they do sleep with the light on" :lol:

Also can't believe that he spent his last 5 years at brisbane on a base salary of $80k.......must've been tough, having an inkling on what the voss', the blacks, the akermanis' and the browns would have been earning. But as he said, he walks away with 4 premiership medals and he had to work hard for them, and thats what matters at the end of the day.

Very good player in a few sensational sides.

I think that's just Pikey mate. Not much substance there!

He was one of my favourite players purely because he had a bit of grunt about him.
Smarter footballer than what he was given credit for too.

I wonder who it was that dobbed him in for headbutting Bowers?
I immediately thought Aker, but have since heard it was a bloke named Bulcher. Not sure of his role at the club.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:56 am

scoob wrote:worsts thing the FFA could have done, kosi will turns this into the old us vs them situation! couldnt get a better bloke running your football team.
absolute joke muscat gets away with it!

Damn missed it.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby RustyCage » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 am

GWW wrote:Don Scott coming up in the next instalment :shock:

that one will be very interesting

I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 934 times

Postby Mr66 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:10 am

Mike's wonderful adjective 'overly refreshed' with Martin Pike.
Gold :D
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby stampy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

no mention of his coaching career at south, wonder why not
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 345 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby test » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 am

stampy wrote:no mention of his coaching career at south, wonder why not

Mike never gives much time to anything SANFL, if at all with the people he interviews.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Slots It Through » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I thought the Don Scott one was the most boring yet.
Slots It Through
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL