Contenders for 2006

Talk on the national game

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:27 am

Punkybrooster, not you as well getting sucked in by that Shineboner bull5hit?? The Roos were 5-0 at one stage last year but by semi final week were gone..you don't get to play Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton in September you see :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby David Votoupal » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:54 pm

The "Shinboner Spirit" refers to the fact that the club are still up there, usually finals contenders, despite the fact they have little of anything (especially fanbase). You have to have some spirit to be able to keep something like that going for a long time.

I can see Port and Brisbane dropping further, Essendon and Collingwood will also be in for long seasons whilst Hawthorn will improve. Saints have the ammunition but not the coaching, Geelong should have much better luck this year.

But the Bulldogs are definite darkhorses for me. They simply got better as 2005 progressed and played some very exciting stuff. And one more thing, what does Scott West have to do to earn a Bronlow Medal? In all the years he's been there he's almost never put a foot wrong for them.
David Votoupal
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:01 pm

David Votoupal wrote:The "Shinboner Spirit" refers to the fact that the club are still up there, usually finals contenders, despite the fact they have little of anything (especially fanbase). You have to have some spirit to be able to keep something like that going for a long time.

I can see Port and Brisbane dropping further, Essendon and Collingwood will also be in for long seasons whilst Hawthorn will improve. Saints have the ammunition but not the coaching, Geelong should have much better luck this year.

But the Bulldogs are definite darkhorses for me. They simply got better as 2005 progressed and played some very exciting stuff. And one more thing, what does Scott West have to do to earn a Bronlow Medal? In all the years he's been there he's almost never put a foot wrong for them.

The Brownlow is not just "earnt" because you dont put a foot wrong,dont get me wrong,Scott West and all like him are what the Brownlow is all about,fair,skillful and committed.Sadly the team he has played in just dont win often enough,and some one like West,who may have 30+ touches in a losing side will always lose votes to a bloke in the winning team with 20+ touches.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Conceed? NEVER. 5th spot flattered the Roos immensely last season and your percentage and finals performance against what proved to be an inept Port one week later was far more telling where Kosi played and just how fit G Train wasn't when you guys were up early and firing.

Time will tell o Dutch one.

regards,

REB
I'll conceed that the Shinboners have a certain spirit about them, which no other club seems to have. They have reguralrly played above themselves, & seem to do well out of 'no-name' recruits. Under-rate them at your own peril- anyone remember them flogging* Port by 90 points, when they were at their peak?

Remember Port flogging them by 80 odd points a week before we slipped into football oblivion?

Good one Goldy - Punk is a wise man, Roos are the only team Port didnt beat in their premiership year and that flogging was in that year....magnificent
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby Strawb » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:52 pm

Well good old mike has the Ain'ts for the flag this year but it is a wait and see.
My Top four are
Geelong
Adelaide
St. Kilda
Sydney

the rest of the 8
West Coast
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

The bottom 8 are
Fremantle
Brisbane
Hawthorn
Kangaroos
Port Power
Essendon
Carlton
Collingwood
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:30 am

My scenario is sad for Melbourne clubs:

Geelong
Adelaide
West Coast
St Kilda
Sydney
Fremantle
Brisbane
Port

Essendon
Bulldogs
Kangaroos
Melbourne
Richmond
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Carlton

Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person to be anti-Melbourne and I couldn't stand dickheads like Kg and Cornsey harping on about how good it is, its just the way I see it, NOTE: I'm crap at predicting things like this.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby David Votoupal » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:05 pm

I'd see it more like this:

Definite contenders:
Sydney
Geelong
Adelaide
West Coast
St Kilda

Finals contenders:
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Kangaroos
Melbourne
Richmond
Brisbane (albeit fading away)
Port (ditto)

Not likely to make the eight:
Essendon
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Carlton
David Votoupal
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Time will tell o Dutch one.

regards,

REB

LOL!!!!!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:38 am

Dutchy wrote:

regards,

REB

LOL!!!!!

You better put the cake back in the oven mate, it's not done yet! :wink: See you next week Rooboy.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:44 am

First 3 games a Kardinia then all the way to Telstra Dome for the Doggies! Cripes. Hands up if you need help anyone.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 am

Booney wrote:First 3 games a Kardinia then all the way to Telstra Dome for the Doggies! Cripes. Hands up if you need help anyone.

Last year we didn't get a home game until Round 6. The year before that it was Round 5. We haven't played Sydney at Cat park since Riccardi were a lad (about 1 of the last six) and no longer get to play St Kilda at Cat Park either. Cripes indeed! The wheel has turn eventually!!

The Cats are at home because the MCG is unavailable, but it is dubious that we would have had to play any of Brisbane, Roos or the Hawks at the MCG. I can think of a few other clubs that have had an easier run than the Catters in recent years and their names begin with Collingwood and Essendon!!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:25 am

Dutchy wrote:

regards,

REB

LOL!!!!!

Tick tick tick tick.... :P

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL