Port & Crows: Will we be able to tell the difference?

Talk on the national game

Port & Crows: Will we be able to tell the difference?

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Just how 'Port' is the Power these days and how long do you think they can continue to use this brandname? After (when the time comes) the Williams name is dissociated from the club is there a chance that the club known as Port Power will just be another composite side that just happens to be based out at Alberton??

Port supporters were proud as punch and rightly so when they gained the second SA licence and many Port fans I know sneered at the possibility of the 'Bluelegs' representing the bluebloods...it wouldn't have been Norwood or Sturt and I reckon pretty soon Port Power will really be Port in name only.

Power fans have been cheering for a successful side that has had Redleg, Rooster, Tigers and all SANFL club players (not forgetting a few Victorians) running around and I guess, as long as Choco and recently Brian Cunningham has been about the place you could still be forgiven for thinking that it was still Port, but soon all that will be left is the Port name.

I reckon that the Port brand name is a paradox: That is, their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness. I wouldn't imagine too many Magpies fans turning their backs on the Power (I know it happens but a minority I would suggest) but at the same time there are supporters of eight other SANFL clubs who wouldn't barrack for the Power because they are called Port. What I'm saying is that Port Adelaide Power will never gain parity in terms of support with the Adelaide Crows.

Just how bad are the crowds going to get if Port start to struggle, in four of the past five seasons, Port have arguably been on a par with the Brisbane Lions as the best in the country but they still didn't consistently draw big crowds. I think another thing that may happen is that if the Magpies happen to prosper locally at the same time as any Power slump then some Power fans may drop off and return to local football, suddenly realising or becoming more aware of the fact that they are following a composite side.

Only time will tell. BTW, this thread is not meant as a Port bashing session or disingenious trolling...what do Port fans think of just how 'composite' Port has become?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:52 pm

All clubs in all leagues recruit players from all over the place so it won't worry me when the day comes that there won't be a single player from the Port on the list.

Simple fact is, once they pull on the Power guernsey, they are Port players. Chad Cornes is a Port player. So is brother Kane (our next captain.) Stuart Dew is a Port player. As is Roger James, Josh Francou, Matty Primus and so on.

The lowest home crowd we've ever had is, from memory, around the 24,500 mark in the driving rain against Richmond in 1998. We've got a solid foundation of 20,000 supporters and while it will never match the Crows, it is growing each year.

The club is looking further down the track to future generations as it knows it won't win over this generation of SANFL fans, although some have turned. That's why it really doesn't put up much of a fight about the prison bars in the heritage rounds. It gives supporters like me the s@#%s but the club doesn't want to alienate those who have drifted over to our camp.

Remember, Fos Williams was a ring-in.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: Port & Crows: Will we be able to tell the difference

Postby Ian » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Power fans have been cheering for a successful side that has had Redleg, Rooster, Tigers and all SANFL club players (not forgetting a few Victorians) running around and I guess, as long as Choco and recently Brian Cunningham has been about the place you could still be forgiven for thinking that it was still Port, but soon all that will be left is the Port name.

No difference to any other GayFL club, so your point is ?..............................................unless you're just Port bashing, if that's the case you are forgiven :wink:
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ecky » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Magpiespower wrote:
The lowest home crowd we've ever had is, from memory, around the 24,500 mark in the driving rain against Richmond in 1998. We've got a solid foundation of 20,000 supporters and while it will never match the Crows, it is growing each year.

There have actually been quite a few Port home crowds below 24,500. Here are the lowest 10:

18,193 Port Adelaide v Geelong Football Park 2002
19,511 Port Adelaide v Geelong Football Park 2000
21,783 Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs Football Park 2000
22,083 Port Adelaide v Hawthorn Football Park 2000
22,423 Port Adelaide v Melbourne Football Park 2001
22,530 Port Adelaide v Melbourne Football Park 2000
22,691 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park 2000
22,885 Port Adelaide v St Kilda Football Park 2002
22,976 Port Adelaide v West Coast Football Park 2001
24,272 Port Adelaide v Sydney Football Park 2003

The game you are thinking of is the Round 11, 1999 game which Port won 4.8 to 3.12 before a crowd of 25,748.
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:05 am

Magpiespower wrote: from memory, around the 24,500 mark in the driving rain against Richmond in 1998.

Looks like your memory is about as good as mine :?
Ian

Postby Magpiespower » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:48 am

Should also point out that John Cahill had to be coerced by Bob McLean into playing for Port.

Had his heart set on South.

Similarly, Russell Ebert was all set to play for North.

The game you are thinking of is the Round 11, 1999 game which Port won 4.8 to 3.12 before a crowd of 25,748.

That's the one. Shocking game.

No surprise that five of our worst crowds came during the disastrous 2000 season - one win and ten losses at the halfway mark of the season and dead motherless last.

Reakon Ecky's stats do show that we have a solid core of about 20,000 supporters at the moment.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:13 am

Magpiespower wrote:

The person at North that told him he wasn't required must have been proud of that decision a few years later :?
Ian

Re: Port & Crows: Will we be able to tell the difference

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Ian wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

No difference to any other GayFL club, so your point is ?..............................................unless you're just Port bashing, if that's the case you are forgiven :wink:

GayFL??? Dear oh dear [-X !! You know you are going well when you start sounding like a Rugby League man. NOT!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:48 am

With out a doubt,the dropping of the Magpie name/logo,and the initial error in the club being known as Port Power,(only to be changed to the correct Port Adelaide football club),played a role in the amount of support we currently have.

It was also clear from the start,the amount of support we were going to gain from fans of SA Football that had not yet jumped aboard the Crows,was going to be minimal.The powers to be at the time realised our supporter base was going to be limited to the Magpies fans,a few from other clubs,very few,and as with all new ventures,some people willing to come along for the ride.

In 1995/96 when we defeated Centrals in the GF's,if Footy Park was full,the crowd being 50/50 suggested the base we would work on is about 25-30,000.The crowd figures at Power games nearly always falls into this range.

As I am one who attends all the games I possibly can,missing 3 in the last 3 years,I know the crowd which goes each and every week is most familiar.Only getting some fans of the visiting side and a few "swinging voters" to push the crowd above 30,000.

My feeling is our crowd numbers will grow in time.With our success over recent years,hopefully,influencing the younger population of Adelaide to follow us,and with some good fortune we stay near or in the top 8,I think the next 5+ years will show some increases in our crowd numbers.As our colours and marketing display,we do aim at the younger people.The problem currently being,the parents of these kids,may be Glenelg or Nowrood fans,are going to be most reluctant to take junior to a "Port" game.This is where REB's point rings true.

As time goes by,we will be more Power than Port Adelaide,but it is only a nickname,as Geelong are the Cats and West Coast are the Ealges,this doesnt change the real name of the club,just gives the fans a name to throw around.

I hope we,in perhaps 10 years,have many more fans coming to games,I am also realistic and dont think we will ever have the following of the Crows,I dont expect to,as a composite side which initially represented the whole state,well,not me,they were always going to go ahead in leaps and bounds.

To look at the number of Port born and bred players in the squad is fool hardy,we are never going to produce that much home grown talent.

The older fans,who remember the Port Adelaide which dominted the SANFL from the 60's onwards,and who now follow the Power,need to make sure the kids and new supporters know how,and why,we now play on the national stage.As long as this is done,we will always be Port Adelaide.Just with a different nick name.

GO THE POWER!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:57 am

Now my head hurts more.

(see My day at the Golf in General discussion.)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Ian wrote:
Magpiespower wrote:

The person at North that told him he wasn't required must have been proud of that decision a few years later :?

Reckon he was glad he did. He was back at Port as an assistant coach in 1970. His name is Geoff Motley. And no we don't forget (or forgive :P ).
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby haloman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Magpiespower wrote:Should also point out that John Cahill had to be coerced by Bob McLean into playing for Port.

Had his heart set on South.

That's the one. Shocking game.

Poor weather effects crowd numbers more than the standard of the match. You don't kow as a supporter if the game is going to be sub-standard. In this case however driving rain, two teams in the bottom half of the comp at the time, Even port supporters were obviously smart enough to stay away from that one
haloman
Under 18s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Board index   Football  AFL