Eddie rules the world......

Talk on the national game

Eddie rules the world......

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:16 pm

McGuire to keep AFL job
February 09, 2006

In the worst kept secret of showbiz, McGuire will be confirmed as the replacement CEO for fill-in Sam Chisholm tonight on Nine's news.
A source for the Packer owned Publishing and Broadcasting (pbl.ASX:Quote,News) said McGuire had secured the top job.

"There will be an announcement later today that he got the job," he said.

"It will be formally announced on the 6pm news tonight and not before."

McGuire is expected to spend the rest of today in the company's Park Street offices in Sydney before the official announcement tonight.

Despite his new responsbilities, Collingwood Football Club has backed him to stay on as their president.
Chief executive Greg Swann said today he hoped McGuire's position in Sydney would boost the club's membership and sponsorship opportunities in the harbour city.

"He is reasonably hands on as president without coming in every day but the Collingwood Football Club won't be a hell of a lot different, because he is staying," Mr Swann said.

"Obviously he will be domiciled in Sydney but that won't be a problem.

"Obviously that (the move to Sydney) opens up opportunities for new members and from a corporate point of view, and being the head of Channel Nine he will be dealing with a lot of those people."

Collingwood has made a concerted drive in recent years to capture part of the Sydney AFL football market.

This year will be the fourth time the Sydney Swans and Collingwood meet in a blockbuster match at the Telstra Stadium, a match that attracted more than 44,000 fans last year in the rugby league stronghold.

Mr Swann said he was pleased McGuire would stay on as Collingwood president.

"It's absolutely terrific for us. We're very happy," he said.

Mr Swann said McGuire would confirm his continuing role at Collingwood when he announces his appointment as Nine chief executive on the news tonight.

A passionate fan of the Magpies, McGuire was elected Collingwood president in September 1998 and has been credited with lifting the club's fortunes on and off the field.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:36 pm

He was pretty much pulling the strings down at C9 anyway, so this is not really going to do much more than continue the conflict of interest that he already has in regards to collingwood and the media.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:33 pm

He's good for footy...! An entertainer...! Dunno about hie entourage though...? They are hangers on....! McDermott and Co.......!
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:30 pm

I'd like to be married to Eddie, you'd see him less than everyone else and get half of his income!!

Got to admit he's done well considering he once was a small time Channel 10 sports journo. Quite insperational how he's climbed the ladder really.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby McAlmanac » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'd like to be married to Eddie, you'd see him less than everyone else and get half of his income!!

Got to admit he's done well considering he once was a small time Channel 10 sports journo. Quite insperational how he's climbed the ladder really.

Amongst all the crap you read about Eddie, this is one of the most succinct. Spot on, Wedgie.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 am

McAlmanac wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'd like to be married to Eddie, you'd see him less than everyone else and get half of his income!!

Amongst all the crap you read about Eddie, this is one of the most succinct. Spot on, Wedgie.

Jealousy is curse some might say....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby stan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:00 am

Most people would say that the reason they dont like eddie is mostly to do with his commitments to collingwood, not that they are jealous of how well he has done. Yes he has built himself up quite well but i dont like simply because oif the football side of eddie.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:01 am

stan wrote:Most people would say that the reason they dont like eddie is mostly to do with his commitments to collingwood, not that they are jealous of how well he has done. Yes he has built himself up quite well but i dont like simply because oif the football side of eddie.

Yes I agree,I cant stand Eddie because of his Collingwood connection,in fact,Im cant stand anyone assosciated with the Collywobbles,but I do envy his financial position.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:12 am

People are just jealous, because their club Presidents don't have any drive, or get up & go. They expect it to come to them. The only conflict of interest, is in the small minds of people, who can't comprehend anything beyond the role of a one-trick pony.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 am

This 'president envy' line of punkybrooster's just doesn't add up. Being president of the most over exposed and constantly over hyped mob of chronic underachievers would be the easiest job in football. I would not trade a boardroom full of Eddies over Geelong's current administration team of Costa and Cook, two men who brought the club back from near extinction and pi55 poor results on the field back in 1999 to regular finalists with a a highly reduced debt and a nice new grandstand that blinds opposition coaches to boot. 8)

I actually don't mind Eddie when he is not commetating Collingwood games. He did it the hard way and has now come up trumps, good luck to him I say, but as a commetator he makes a pretty piss poor umpire :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby MightyEagles » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:02 pm

At least he wont be hosting any more TV shows in the near future. No more of hearing him being bias during Collingwood games on TV. But that doesn't matter after this year with 7 having the rights. Whats the bet, when the rights are up for grabs in 5 years he'll say let's put all this money in that they can't afford in.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby doggies4eva » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:41 pm

MightyEagles wrote:At least he wont be hosting any more TV shows in the near future. No more of hearing him being bias during Collingwood games on TV. But that doesn't matter after this year with 7 having the rights. Whats the bet, when the rights are up for grabs in 5 years he'll say let's put all this money in that they can't afford in.

Are you sure he won't be commentating? I didn't see any comment on this in the press release one way or the other.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby stan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:13 pm

doggies4eva wrote:
MightyEagles wrote:At least he wont be hosting any more TV shows in the near future. No more of hearing him being bias during Collingwood games on TV. But that doesn't matter after this year with 7 having the rights. Whats the bet, when the rights are up for grabs in 5 years he'll say let's put all this money in that they can't afford in.

Are you sure he won't be commentating? I didn't see any comment on this in the press release one way or the other.

Nothing was mentioned about him comemtating so at this stage expect the worse my friends.
stan
Coach

Postby RoostersRuleTheWorld ! » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:29 pm

:D No Roosters Rule The World ! , not Eddie ?
RoostersRuleTheWorld !
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Board index   Football  AFL