V - The Series (2009)

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

V - The Series (2009)

Postby skywalker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 pm

Is anyone into this show? I saw the original back in the 80's and can't remember much about it, but I caught the first episode of the "new" series a few weeks back and am keen to know what people think of it. I have begun to download the series and have watched up to Episode 5. I caught the start of the episode after Underbelly last Sunday and figured it was a few in front of what I have downloaded. Anyone know what Ep Channel 9 are up to??
I wanna grow up to be Chad Vader
skywalker
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: V - The Series (2009)

Postby JAS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

ooooh don't you remember the hamsters and guinea pigs and mice being swallowed whole...oh the shock and horror :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObQfWMgmIM

Actually got to see the 1st episode at the weekend thanks to the amazing generosity of the Murdoch family giving us mere mortals a freebie weekend.

Thought it looked quite good...pity they killed off Alan Tudyk he was great in Fire Fly and Serenity. Won't tempt me to sign up to satellite telly but if it eventually comes to terrestrial digital then I'll definitely watch it.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby zipzap » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

It's been OK but I'm not sure yet whether I'll stick with it, there's something about it which doesn't grab me yet...
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 am

skywalker wrote:Is anyone into this show? I saw the original back in the 80's and can't remember much about it, but I caught the first episode of the "new" series a few weeks back and am keen to know what people think of it. I have begun to download the series and have watched up to Episode 5. I caught the start of the episode after Underbelly last Sunday and figured it was a few in front of what I have downloaded. Anyone know what Ep Channel 9 are up to??

I was in a similar boat, in that I only discovered it by staying tuned after Underbelly had finished ... I quite enjoyed the episode.

I was never into back in the 80's when most of my friends were, but I'd be keen to get a look at this series in it's entirety (and the female lead for that matter).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 am

Have been watching it since it began. Thus far I think only 6 episodes have been shown. There are at least 4 more to come.

I was a huge fan of the original series back in the '80s. In fact the missus picked up a DVD of "V" and "V: the final battle" from the publis library after seeing I was interested in the current-day series. I only got to watch the first disc (about 2/3 of the first V) before it had to go back, but it was interesting to see the similarities and differences with the original. The original series hasn't aged that well; it is very much rooted in the '80s.

Some aspects of the new V are a direct nod to the original. The alien lettering, the youth "friends of V" movement, the promise of medical benefits, etc. Some aspects of the original are ignored, or at least skirted over: the whole Nazi-Germany allegory of the original is missing. I was hoping that the young fella (Tyler) was going to knock up the cute female Visitor; that would have been a nice twist on the original, but they've gone for another female human / male V coupling. Haven't seen any hamster-eating yet either (thankyou JAS ;) )

Channel 9 has treated the series in its typical cavalier fashion. Put the first few episodes on at 8:30 to get people hooked, then start showing it at crap hours so they can make room for their new flagship show. The episode shown after the initial Underbelly started at 10:30 and was actually a bloody REPEAT and I didn't realise until about 20 minutes in - up yours channel 9.

My enthusiasm for the series is starting to cool. I'm kinda curious to see what happens but I don't think I'll be too bothered if I miss any episodes.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1604 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Interceptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Can vaguely remember watching the original, this remake is clearly a lot slicker in its production.
Perhaps a bit too slick though, maybe it's due to it being a major US network production -keeps it a little "safe".

Still, has me pretty keen on finding out what happens next.
Morena Baccarin is both sexy and creepy as Anna at the same time :)
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Barto » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Was keen at first but have lost interested. All been done before.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Mic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Really enjoyed the original but the remake is rubbish.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby zipzap » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:34 am

Interceptor wrote:Can vaguely remember watching the original, this remake is clearly a lot slicker in its production.
Perhaps a bit too slick though, maybe it's due to it being a major US network production -keeps it a little "safe".

I think that's it. Having been enjoying grittier Sci-Fi like BSG, Caprica and Sarah Connor, this one is a bit twee in comparison.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Mic wrote:Really enjoyed the original but the remake is rubbish.

Agreed. Better production but that's where it ends.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1728 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Tonight's episode has been pushed back to 10:30 to make room for another new program.

Damned if I'm staying up, especially when there's no guarantee it won't be another repeat.

Up yours channel 9. One less viewer.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1604 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby zipzap » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Pseudo wrote:Tonight's episode has been pushed back to 10:30 to make room for another new program.

Damned if I'm staying up, especially when there's no guarantee it won't be another repeat.

Up yours channel 9. One less viewer.

It's on channel 9? ;)
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby skywalker » Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I rarely watch any shows when they are "programmed" as they are rarely on at the correct time. I Just record it and watch it later, provided I extend the recording long enough to cover the gap between programmed time and actual start time.
I wanna grow up to be Chad Vader
skywalker
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby unknown source » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm

anybody watch the finale last night?
unknown source
League - Top 5

Been liked: 1 time

Postby zipzap » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 pm

unknown source wrote:anybody watch the finale last night?

Yep, I've stuck with it but it's still a dog of a show. Won't be back until next year apparently by which time hopefully they have ironed out a few things like character development, one dimensional acting, dumbed down join-the-dots scripts and that funny CGI space ship floor that makes everyone look like they are ice skating :shock:
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby Interceptor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 am

zipzap wrote:

Yep, I've stuck with it but it's still a dog of a show. Won't be back until next year apparently by which time hopefully they have ironed out a few things like character development, one dimensional acting, dumbed down join-the-dots scripts and that funny CGI space ship floor that makes everyone look like they are ice skating :shock:

Okay of season cliffhanger IMO, made up somewhat for the abysmal Lost finale.
Have to admit though I was surprised it was renewed, while Flash Forward didn't make it.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby NFC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Interceptor wrote:
zipzap wrote:

Okay of season cliffhanger IMO, made up somewhat for the abysmal Lost finale.
Have to admit though I was surprised it was renewed, while Flash Forward didn't make it.

With good reason! Awful show, gave up on it about 3 times, the last time for good.
NFC
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment