The Chaser's War On Everything is back!

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: The Chaser's War On Everything is back!

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:22 am

Didnt mind last nights ep
It is so much better when they do the daring/funny stuff out in public like they used to
Thats what made them famous, dont go changing it
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brock Landers » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:38 am

The segment where they were attempting to rent out rooms in Buckingham Palace was very funny.

Quote:"you'll be sharing with one old couple" :lol:

And the Bobby was not amused!

Apart from that I thought it was a bit flat.
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Thiele » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Chasers has been suspended for two weeks http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby Barto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am

Yep the burning torches and pitchfork brigade have won. Although they did open themselves up with the "they're going to die anyway line". The thing is, it wasn't even that funny.

They've officially jumped the shark, not just with that but the fact they're stealing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OfQ0NE4yNo
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Sojourner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Weak, Low and Gutless act, to target people who have had to go through cancer with their children is absolutely disgusting. To suggest that they did not think it would be highly offensive is an absolute disgrace.

What would make a "funny" next episode of the chaser would be to see each of them put on the boxing gloves and get into the ring with some of the parents they have made a mockery of, nothing would please me better right now than to see each of these freaks get the living suitcase beaten out of them on national TV - all for a joke of course. :Hangman:
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Gozu » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:48 am

I finally got around to watching this episode tonight and as suspected the reaction is way over the top. Sure The Chaser seem to be struggling to come up with anything and obviously did this for shock value but a two week suspension of the show is ridiculous. Was it funny? No, much like most of the show over these first two episodes but we seem to be going the way of the US, a country dictated to and controlled by the Christian Right and their powerful lobbyists.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby smac » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:45 am

Gozu wrote:I finally got around to watching this episode tonight and as suspected the reaction is way over the top. Sure The Chaser seem to be struggling to come up with anything and obviously did this for shock value but a two week suspension of the show is ridiculous. Was it funny? No, much like most of the show over these first two episodes but we seem to be going the way of the US, a country dictated to and controlled by the Christian Right and their powerful lobbyists.

I wouldn't think that it is the Christian Right controlling anything here. There is a line and on one side of that line are things that you just don't use for humour. Dying kids are so far across that line it is ridiculous for them to have ever thought that this would do anything other than get them a negative reaction.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Barto » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Sojourner wrote:Weak, Low and Gutless act, to target people who have had to go through cancer with their children is absolutely disgusting. To suggest that they did not think it would be highly offensive is an absolute disgrace.

What would make a "funny" next episode of the chaser would be to see each of them put on the boxing gloves and get into the ring with some of the parents they have made a mockery of, nothing would please me better right now than to see each of these freaks get the living suitcase beaten out of them on national TV - all for a joke of course. :Hangman:

And this is the reason why people are getting upset, the assumption they were targeting kids. I don't think they were actually targeting the kids themselves.

But yeah, let's go bash people, that makes it all better.

Reminds of when Johnny Rotten was attacked after the band released God Save the Queen.
Barto
Veteran

Postby Barto » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:16 pm

smac wrote:
Gozu wrote:I finally got around to watching this episode tonight and as suspected the reaction is way over the top. Sure The Chaser seem to be struggling to come up with anything and obviously did this for shock value but a two week suspension of the show is ridiculous. Was it funny? No, much like most of the show over these first two episodes but we seem to be going the way of the US, a country dictated to and controlled by the Christian Right and their powerful lobbyists.

I wouldn't think that it is the Christian Right controlling anything here. There is a line and on one side of that line are things that you just don't use for humour. Dying kids are so far across that line it is ridiculous for them to have ever thought that this would do anything other than get them a negative reaction.

Because the 'joke' was so badly executed everyone is focusing on the "dying kids". They could have pulled this off had they been smarter, the real problem is that they've run out of material and need to continually push back the envelope. It shows in that sketch.
Barto
Veteran

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:48 am

Wouldn't surprise me if the ABC's suspension was enforced in part to give them more time to write some new - and hopefully improved - material.

End of the day, they've made a career out of courting controversy. This time it bit them on the ar$e.

How sad, too bad.
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby carey18 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Anyone trying to get a laugh using kids with cancer need to go thru it themselves and see if it is funny.
carey18

Postby brod » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Then theres the comments that this is simply a rip off of a skit that has been done on US television in the past, so
- poor taste ?
- unoriginal skit :roll:

They have also done a skit the is a pretty close resemblance of one done on The Late Show

THAT is poor form
brod
Coach

Been liked: 26 times

Postby unknown source » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm

cant believe they only got a two week ban.. should be off the air for good.. i know peope close to me with cancer and it is so disrespectful its not funny..
unknown source
League - Top 5

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:22 pm

brod wrote:Then theres the comments that this is simply a rip off of a skit that has been done on US television in the past, so
- poor taste ?
- unoriginal skit :roll:

They have also done a skit the is a pretty close resemblance of one done on The Late Show

THAT is poor form

I don't necessarily agree, although a number of times I have said to my wife while watching The Chaser "does that skit remind you of....".
Each comedy program would do skits using ideas by those who inspired them.
In my eyes, it doesn't make the new skit any less funny.
I'm sure The Late Show were the same.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JAS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Got next weeks tv listings mag yesterday and this is about to start on the BBC.

Is it worth a go?
Is it like the American thing...Jon Stewart's The Daily Show?

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby zipzap » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 pm

JAS wrote:Got next weeks tv listings mag yesterday and this is about to start on the BBC.

Is it worth a go?

Regards
JAS

Nah, more like the Late Show (Degeneration) or Australia You're Standing in It but not nearly as good. When they're good they're very good (anything with Charles Firth in it is pure gold) but when they are acting like they're in a university revue I want to puke. Inconsistent.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby JAS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:58 pm

zipzap wrote:
JAS wrote:Got next weeks tv listings mag yesterday and this is about to start on the BBC.

Is it worth a go?

Regards
JAS

Nah, more like the Late Show (Degeneration) or Australia You're Standing in It but not nearly as good. When they're good they're very good (anything with Charles Firth in it is pure gold) but when they are acting like they're in a university revue I want to puke. Inconsistent.

ok thanks zippy...obviously never seen either of those but as long as it's not one of those shows that just tries to get cheap laughs by attempting to humilliate unsuspecting members of the public then I'll give it try.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby zipzap » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 pm

JAS wrote:
zipzap wrote:

Is it worth a go?

Regards
JAS

ok thanks zippy...obviously never seen either of those but as long as it's not one of those shows that just tries to get cheap laughs by attempting to humilliate unsuspecting members of the public then I'll give it try.

Regards
JAS

Well that's what Charles Firth does do, but he does it to Americans so it doesn't count ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN2pB3MCE
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby JAS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:14 pm

zipzap wrote:
Well that's what Charles Firth does do, but he does it to Americans so it doesn't count ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN2pB3MCE

Haha...nice one...as with every rule there are obvious exceptions...Americans, Evangelists, Fox News, gingas, The Welsh :lol: ;)

Definitely looks better than the last import we got...some 'comedy' about a guy with the video film business :?

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Well...watched it last night...wasn't too bad although don't think I'd be too dissapointed if I missed a few episodes.

You're right about the American bit being the best. Caused me quite a dilema for my road trip though...now desperately want to visit the Leaning Tower of Perth :lol:

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment