Cartoons...are they the same as they used to be?

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Cartoons...are they the same as they used to be?

Postby JK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 am

We have Foxtel, but other than Garfield my kids dont really get into any of the newer cartoons .. The old school Tom and Jerry is their favourite and the dont mind Looney Toons, but other than that nothing really interests them (the Pixar movies thet get into a bit).

I was a stickler for them as a kid, especially the Herculoids, Laff a lympics (sp?) and Whacky Races .. Jana of the Jungle was about when I got bored.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 am

I made the mistake not that long ago of buying a boxset of the early 2000's remake of He-Man & The Masters of the Universe (as opposed to the original 80's version I grew up on) for about $5 through Amazon and it's terrible. I feel for the younger ones who had to grow up watching that.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby test » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Same as the newer TMNT cartoons, they all look and talk the same and don't have the individual personalities, it's painful to watch, the old ones were great.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby therisingblues » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:28 am

Footy Chick wrote::lol: You'd be hell sick of anime by now, hey Theri :lol:

Ha! I know just what you mean, but it's easy not to watch TV when you need a dictionary just to understand what they're saying. Far from relaxing, it's like being in school!
Oh by the way, The Super Cartoon Show Saturday mornings late 70's early 80's as per SMAC's post.
Used to get up buzzing before 6:00 hoping to see the first minute of whatever cartoon was on first. Mighty Mouse got a run as first cartoon for a long time ( here I come to save the day!!!) but I also remember Heckle and Jeckle, a pair of smart mouth crows had a spell as first. Maybe Harry and Bullwinkle would be on after that (that trick never works!!).
The Herculoids were on before 8:00, but I used to hope they'd get their asses kicked every episode. Main reason for that was "bloop" and "bleep", two formless blobs that couldn't be destroyed, could divide themselves indefinitely and communicated by saying "nininininineeneenee". Basically it amounted to no matter how much trouble the other Herculoids got into, Bloop and Bleep can't be destroyed, can become any shape and divide themselves forever and could perfectly save the day if required. What was worse in that situation was there were no other Herculoids about to interpret what they were saying. So it was just endless "nininininineeneenee" from one to the other until all the bad guys were disposed of. Bullshit IMO! If I was the artist the bad guys would freeze dry Bloop and Bleep in the first minute and the others would be buried up to their necks in mud. Not that I understand why bad guys would visit their planet for in the first place, not like there was gold there to steal or anything.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

The mighty Herculeeeeees!

Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am

therisingblues wrote:
Footy Chick wrote::lol: You'd be hell sick of anime by now, hey Theri :lol:

Ha! I know just what you mean, but it's easy not to watch TV when you need a dictionary just to understand what they're saying. Far from relaxing, it's like being in school!
Oh by the way, The Super Cartoon Show Saturday mornings late 70's early 80's as per SMAC's post.
Used to get up buzzing before 6:00 hoping to see the first minute of whatever cartoon was on first. Mighty Mouse got a run as first cartoon for a long time ( here I come to save the day!!!) but I also remember Heckle and Jeckle, a pair of smart mouth crows had a spell as first. Maybe Harry and Bullwinkle would be on after that (that trick never works!!).
The Herculoids were on before 8:00, but I used to hope they'd get their asses kicked every episode. Main reason for that was "bloop" and "bleep", two formless blobs that couldn't be destroyed, could divide themselves indefinitely and communicated by saying "nininininineeneenee". Basically it amounted to no matter how much trouble the other Herculoids got into, Bloop and Bleep can't be destroyed, can become any shape and divide themselves forever and could perfectly save the day if required. What was worse in that situation was there were no other Herculoids about to interpret what they were saying. So it was just endless "nininininineeneenee" from one to the other until all the bad guys were disposed of. Bullshit IMO! If I was the artist the bad guys would freeze dry Bloop and Bleep in the first minute and the others would be buried up to their necks in mud. Not that I understand why bad guys would visit their planet for in the first place, not like there was gold there to steal or anything.

I think you just answered my previous question :lol:

Oh, and by the way, it's ROCKY and Bullwinkle ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Strawb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Bangers and mash
Bananaman
Super Ted
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:20 am

Wait till your father gets home.
Funky Phantom
Grape Ape
As sampled above: Hercules - was a classic!
The Beatles cartoon (not Yellow Submarine, the weekly one)
Shazam
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:49 am

tmnt all time fav kid cartoon
smurfs
captain planet
widget
x-men - a pretty close 2nd i reckon
looney tunes
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 am

therisingblues wrote:Wait till your father gets home.
The Beatles cartoon (not Yellow Submarine, the weekly one)

These two were great. Especially the Beatles one with the lyrics coming up on screen as the songs came on yeah yeah yeah.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1710 times
Been liked: 1825 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 am

Danger Mouse was my favourite as a kid.
Loved Bananaman too.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Strawb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm

I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment