Movie review - Hereafter

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Movie review - Hereafter

Postby Hondo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:38 pm

I'll keep persisting for a few more movies with this to see if I can break the habit of the "Good movies" thread. I need to see a new release movie that is hot on everyone's mind maybe. I actually enjoy writing these up so it gives me an outlet if nothing else. Anyway, a new release DVD this time ...

Clint Eastwood directs Matt Damon as a reluctant psychic seeking to find a new life away from his abilities which he sees as a curse rather than a gift. At the touch of someone's hand he can read their entire mind and do a "reading" from connecting with a recently deceased loved one. 2 other stories are introduced, one being that of a 12 year old who loses his twin brother in an accident and a french reporter who is caught in a Tsunami and has a vision of the hereafter during a near death experience. All 3 storylines connect in the end with the young boy's proving to be the most emotional.

A typical Eastwood movie in terms of slower pace and attention to detail. Believable acting all round although Matt Damon seemed either deliberately understanded or just underused. Maybe I am expecting Jason Bourne every time I see him. The movie goes about two hours and Eastwood takes his time with each character. There is a nice, small sideline story about Damon going to cooking classes and meeting a talkative woman whose reading uncovers an embarrasing detail of her past thus dooming the budding romance. The subject matter of the hereafter is believably told even if you don't believe in it. Eastwood avoids any obvious link to religous themes. An interesting choice of movie for a director who is now in his 80s but seems to be getting better and better.

JK seemes to be rating out of 10 in the other thread so I give this one 7/10.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment