North's Guernsey for Darwin

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote: most of us are into our 30's & beyond ?
I'd say you'd be having your second crack at 30

Definately part of the ''beyond'' group bug boy.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:59 am

Nice piece of deleting Sister Mary Joshepha.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:01 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Nice piece of deleting Sister Mary Joshepha.

Sister Mary Joshepha will buy you a beer at the airport today. :wink:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2055 times
Been liked: 3903 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:18 am

Your still a rag Sister.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:56 am

Well as I predicted If you don't win by 5 goals it don't really count. I'll take a 25 pt win (4 goals 1). Norths fitness has obviously come through, to double the margin in the last quarter.

That crowd is dissapointing, if it 4 700 that is roughly half the capacity of the oval.

Don't want to sound overly negative all the time but footy in Darwin hasn't developed in 15 years.

As I said previously if North couldn't beat that mob, they had some serious issues to overcome in two months prior to the start of the season....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby stan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Well they won in the end so i guess you would look at them an say that they are the team to beat this year.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby doggies4eva » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:48 pm

stan wrote:Well they won in the end so i guess you would look at them an say that they are the team to beat this year.

I wouldn't. I was at the game and as I said on the other thread Norf only won cause they kicked straighter. They looked slow and fumbly. A lot more work to do before April me thinks.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 am

doggies4eva wrote:
stan wrote:Well they won in the end so i guess you would look at them an say that they are the team to beat this year.

I wouldn't. I was at the game and as I said on the other thread Norf only won cause they kicked straighter. They looked slow and fumbly. A lot more work to do before April me thinks.

And a lot more players still to come into the side. Most teams start of a bit scratchy in their first hitout of the year, North showed plenty of promise, particullary after 1/2 time, they will be alright by April "me thinks"
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby drebin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:47 am

doggies4eva wrote:

North were certainly not slow - they fumbled early because of the humidity and playing with the floating Burley football. The NT's bad kicking didn't help them and despite there supposed pace - they ran out of legs and had no body strength against our bigger bodies. A slow team does not win by 4 goals.

If that game had been played in Adelaide - North would have won by 10 goals plus - that is what the NT coach said on Sunday arvo.
drebin

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 pm

drebin wrote:
doggies4eva wrote:

North were certainly not slow - they fumbled early because of the humidity and playing with the floating Burley football. The NT's bad kicking didn't help them and despite there supposed pace - they ran out of legs and had no body strength against our bigger bodies. A slow team does not win by 4 goals.

If that game had been played in Adelaide - North would have won by 10 goals plus - that is what the NT coach said on Sunday arvo.

Drebin you must have been at a different game to me! To challenge some of your points:
They both played in the same conditions (North used those ice shirts at every change, NT didn't) had the same footy. NT's midfield players seemed to find to find their mark most of the time. It was the kicking into the 50 which was woeful - and helped Norf!
I don't think NT ran out of legs - they continued to go forward late in the last quarter, just had no system to cap it off with a few goals. Agree that Norf had bigger bodies - more upper body strength from the gym.

4 goals isn't a lot particularly when about 3 goals were missed by the opposition 25 metres out.

Still think Norf won each end of the ground and NT won the midfield.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby drebin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 pm

I didn't question that the NT didn't win the midfield, early on they did dominate and all night their really pacy guys found plenty of space. We did more than match them out of the centre (using O'Hara's dominance) when we put Matt Campbell and Aaron Motlop in the centre. The NT were cleaner early and could you blame north for using ice vests!!! They play in those condtions every week and they are 4 weeks off the finals and that was North's first game with 11 new players to the team! Using ice vests didn't outway a different brand of floating football (one we do not play with in SA and they use every week!) which was covered in humid sweat all night - which took us half a game to work out how to get it cleanly.
You can't tell me Culpitt is quicker than most of North's midfield and he was one of their midfielders who lacked pace and fitness in the second half - as pointed out by the ABC commentators. Everyone has a different perspective on the game so I will not knock you for your take on the game.

I did however read some interesting comments on the bulldog banter section of the Centrals forum about the NT game and North's chances this year. One person said he didn't think North looked much bigger than the NT - he must have been at another game - as we were a lot bigger in height and body weight. He obviously did not get a look at Owen Weatherly who will easily be the biggest bodied (muscle wise) player in the SANFL this year and he is agro to go with it. Others made comments about we won't improve much which is fine - early days yet, but when you add another ruckman to our team (Wakelin) plus our CHF - Alleway who is about the same build as Weatherly, Cox our CHB - who is a big boy himself plus our Captain Wintle I think you will see an improved North. I'm not saying premiership as I still think Centrals start favourites and deservedly so but I had to chuckle at some of the posts. I think some people, when they see the size of the North key position players plus the addition of a couple of new faster midfielders then they might be suprised. Still if people don't take off the blinkers how will they see?
drebin

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:07 pm

drebin wrote:I did however read some interesting comments on the bulldog banter section of the Centrals forum about the NT game and North's chances this year. One person said he didn't think North looked much bigger than the NT - he must have been at another game - as we were a lot bigger in height and body weight. He obviously did not get a look at Owen Weatherly who will easily be the biggest bodied (muscle wise) player in the SANFL this year and he is agro to go with it. Others made comments about we won't improve much which is fine - early days yet, but when you add another ruckman to our team (Wakelin) plus our CHF - Alleway who is about the same build as Weatherly, Cox our CHB - who is a big boy himself plus our Captain Wintle I think you will see an improved North. I'm not saying premiership as I still think Centrals start favourites and deservedly so but I had to chuckle at some of the posts. I think some people, when they see the size of the North key position players plus the addition of a couple of new faster midfielders then they might be suprised. Still if people don't take off the blinkers how will they see?

Agree with most of the above. North were clearly physically stronger. That was my first thought when they both ran out onto the field. I wanted the NT side to do well and put up a strong case to put a team into the SANFL. At least I'de get to see a game every second week! I was worried that the NT side would be brushed aside but I thought despite their lack of bulk they were gutsy and went in hard and used their pace advantage to stay in the game. It meant that they consistently went wide meaning they had to handle the ball more and more chance of mistakes. North were more direct and the scoreborad reflects this. Agree Weatherly had a good night. He was both physically strong but also evasive. I thought the NT defence gave him too much room and didn't make good position whereas he did and got 4 goals for his trouble. Hopefully the doggie defence won't give him that much room to move.

I cringe at some of the posts from our supporters too - mind you some of them are ready to write us off before we have even played a trial game. Whatever I have said I have not predicted that North have no show against us. They won one last year (shame shame). Hope that doesnt happen again.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Further to the Darwin trip, from the Advertiser:

"SA looks to Territory

07feb06

THE SANFL has reopened negotiations to accept a combined Northern Territory Football League team into the Adelaide league.

SANFL chief executive Leigh Whicker had informal talks with NTFL boss Tony Frawley in Darwin on Saturday before North Adelaide rolled the NTFL by 23 points.
Whicker said the SANFL was "very keen" to have a closer relationship with the NTFL and both leagues would benefit by introducing the Buffaloes to what is considered the best state football league in the country.

"There is sound logic for such a proposal on the grounds that it would expose young Territorians to the rigours of playing in a league which is regarded as the premier state league in Australia," Whicker said. "The rationale behind the proposal still exists today and, if anything, there is even more justification for it now."

The NTFL approached the SANFL to accept a team from the NT in 1999 and if not for unsatisfactory administration in the Top End and doubts over funding the team it would have been integrated in Adelaide."

So it might be a win all round!
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby drebin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Fair call dogs4 ever - good to have some healthy banter and difference of opinion. At least Centrals have the "runs on the board" - North still have to prove themselves and the pressure is on to get the double chance for starts as anything less will be a massive underachieve so I am not making any sweeping statements but there is alot of promise and hope if things go well with injuries, form, new players fitting in. Sept/Oct will tell the real story not Feb/March.
drebin

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL