SANFL 2023 season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2023 season

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:57 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
stampy wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:SANFL need a Glenelg vs Sturt Grand Final or it could be a very low crowd.

Very little support for the Cows at the Second Semi

Those two clubs will bring a decent crowd and it could be a double in the GF if the Double Blues get up in the Ressies as well.

Hoping its Sturt. Should be no AFL in the SANFL.

With the poor crowd on Sunday it does ask the question again why not home finals in the first two weeks.
90% of the Sturt & Central District supporters left after their match. Very empty stadium for the next game.

Look at WA decent crowds for their finals and played at home grounds.

Imagine the Bay, Elizabeth, Unley packed for home finals would give it more of a finals atmosphere.

Why do you think the ADFL have home finals. Great crowd's fantastic atmosphere.

i agree with the playing of minor finals on suburban ovals, this was mooted back in 2009 and one of the reasons for not doing it was lack of media facilites :shock:

however as you can see not many support the idea on here

I do. It was a bit soul-less at Adelaide Oval on Sunday. Much like a domestic limited overs game being played at the MCG or Adel Oval.

However, say the game was played at Glenelg on the weekend - would Glenelg be able to cater for 4 teams? The lights there are ordinary - if they were required.

Glenelg did cater for four teams on the weekend, hosting both of the reserves semi finals.

Nevertheless I'm against the idea of suburban finals. I think the grounds need to be neutral and accessible. Perhaps once Thebby is done up it might be suitable, but I'm all for finals at Adelaide Oval.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby stampy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:13 pm

playing at a renovated thebby would give the crowserves an advantage, if they make finals
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby saintal » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:36 pm

From a fan's perspective I’d like to see suburban finals trialled for the first weekend. Reward the higher ranked team and the atmosphere would generally be fantastic. Might create a few logistical challenges (ie for C7) but nothing that couldn't be resolved.

Play the remaining finals at AO so grand finalists play at least one game there before the GF.

Per the weekly stats report on the sanfl website, for what it’s worth these are the average finals attendances over the previous 10 seasons. 2023 figures have held up OK in comparison.

EF/QF AO crowd: 8,975 (this year 8,021)
SF AO crowd: 9,804 (this year 10,438)
PF AO crowd: 6,885
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Agree - try it for one year for the 1st week and see, although I would make it a neutral venue, give it to one of the clubs that doesn't make the finals. eg this year a double header at Woodville, Richmond, Prospect or the Parade would be huge IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby northerner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:Agree - try it for one year for the 1st week and see, although I would make it a neutral venue, give it to one of the clubs that doesn't make the finals. eg this year a double header at Woodville, Richmond, Prospect or the Parade would be huge IMO.

Surely the teams that make the finals deserve the gate takings.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:58 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Agree - try it for one year for the 1st week and see, although I would make it a neutral venue, give it to one of the clubs that doesn't make the finals. eg this year a double header at Woodville, Richmond, Prospect or the Parade would be huge IMO.

EXACTLY!!

How about we just leave it as it is, looking forward to getting to Adelaide oval this Sunday even though my team isn’t playing

So good going to Adelaide oval and watching good footy without the Victorian bullshit
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:46 pm

am Bays wrote:
northerner wrote:

EXACTLY!!

How about we just leave it as it is, looking forward to getting to Adelaide oval this Sunday even though my team isn’t playing

So good going to Adelaide oval and watching good footy without the Victorian bullshit

Don’t forget some SANFL ovals like Norwood and unley are used by the AFLW this time of year
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:47 pm

am Bays wrote:So good going to Adelaide oval and watching good footy without the Victorian bullshit

You're gonna have to wait 'til next week for that, and then only if the Blooze make it.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby topshelf » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:56 pm

It’s a fantastic brand of football that gets played. Deserves double to crowds we get for the minor finals. If we could somehow market it properly I’m convinced we would be able to bring the people back.. It could be like the second division in the EPL or college basketball in the US. Just try a few different things - dj/local band, skills comps at half time, countdown clock at games. Anyway, just throwing it out there. I’m sure people have plenty of ideas to get people along. I thought Sunday was great even with the lower crowd.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:47 pm

northerner wrote:

Gate takings from finals go to SANFL, would be the same no matter where it is played
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:49 pm

Move the GF back to the Oct long weekend.

Play all country and amateur league grand finals on or before the AFL bye weekend.

Introduce a Premiers Cup that runs for 5 weekends, culminating in the Grand Final played as a curtain raiser to the SANFL Grand Final on the Sunday of the long weekend to determine the best team in the state outside the AFL/SANFL. Have the Magarey Medal Friday night. Have the U16, U18 & Reserves GF at Adel Oval on the Saturday and Premiers Cup & SANFL GF on the Sunday. Acknowledge the Premiers & Medallist’s around the State on the Sunday. Run a Premiers Cup Netball Carnival over the weekend at Memorial Drive. Get behind the Members decked out like the Test match. A Festival of SA Footy & Netball.

The footy Premiers Cup open to every premiership team in the state. Perhaps in the future it could serve as a promotion option should the SANFL opt for more teams and/or introduce promotion & relegation.

An example Premiers Cup for 2024. All games are knockout. 26 premiers competing.

Week 1 & 2 - 20 Premiers around the state match up against each other in 10 knockout games, top 6 seeded premiers await them in week 2, to make it work (Adel Footy League Div 1, Southern, Great Southern, Hills Div 1, Barossa Light & Gawler, Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara for example).
North Eastern vs Yorke Peninsula (winner plays Adel FL Div 1)
Western Border vs Mid South Eastern (winner plays KNT)
River Murray vs Riverland (winner plays Hills Div 1)
Broken Hill vs Northern Areas (winner plays BL&G)
Kangaroo Island vs Hills Country (winner plays Great Southern)
Adelaide Plains vs Murray Valley (winner plays Southern)
Winners of Port Lincoln vs Great Flinders play winner of Western Eyre vs Eastern Eyre
Winners of Whyalla vs Spencer Gulf play winners of APY Lands vs Far North

Yes, there will be some lop sided match ups in the first couple of weeks, but by week 3 you’ve likely got:
Adelaide Footy League vs Best of South-East
Hills Div 1 vs Best of Eyre Peninsula
Barossa Light & Gawler vs Best of Iron Triangle
Great Southern vs Southern

It could spike the interest of the footy follower and help maintain a big crowd for our SANFL Grand Finals.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby northerner » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:29 am

Dutchy wrote:
northerner wrote:

Gate takings from finals go to SANFL, would be the same no matter where it is played

Money taken at the Clubhouses, home match raffles, bars and bbq stands is what I am referring to.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:18 am

Pseudo wrote:
am Bays wrote:So good going to Adelaide oval and watching good footy without the Victorian bullshit

You're gonna have to wait 'til next week for that, and then only if the Blooze make it.

Nah going to watch three pure teams in the GFs, two former colleagues are umpiring.

Will be gone by 12 noon

It’s also all the palaver about the “experience” “engagement” bullshit, 19th man, ruining INXS

FFS I just want to watch footy
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:32 pm

mal wrote:Was alerted to this by the great Bayman

First week of finals
CD beat PA by 7
AC beat ST by 7

Second week of finals
ST beat CD by 32
GL beat AC by 32

Just realised in the ressies last week,
GL beat ST by 12
WWT beat CD by 12
Pseudo
Coach

Postby mal » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:16 pm

I have the Pseudo Echo

The scores in those seconds games were

GL 11-14 [80]
ST 10-8 [68]

CD 9-8 [62]
EG 12-2 [74]

Both games won by same margin = 12
And I know you want more :
GL/ST match total points 148 CD/EG match total points 136 = 12 more or less
And I know you want more :
GL /ST match 43 scoring shots CD/EG 31 scoring shots = 12 more or less
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:12 pm

Sad news for the Centrals supporters and all footy people.

St Kilda premiership hero 'Cowboy' Neale dies aged 78

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/st- ... bde1&ei=13
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:10 pm

Mid August…
Attachments
IMG_7037.jpeg
IMG_7037.jpeg (153.42 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:28 pm

goddy11 wrote:Sad news for the Centrals supporters and all footy people.

St Kilda premiership hero 'Cowboy' Neale dies aged 78

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/st- ... bde1&ei=13

That's terrible news, and the day after Ron Barassi passes away. Having played in Canberra, Cowboy was folklore over there, coaching the tri-colours and then Tuggers (the club I played for, for one year, many years after he left). The legacy he left in the ACT is almost Barassi-esque, hence the comparison. I'm sure those closer to the clubs in question will speak more highly of the guy than I can, in an environment where NRL was the 'go to' footy competition at the time. RIP big fella.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Mic » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:57 pm

Before 2014, Crows and Power claimed that having reserves sides was integral to the development of their players, and that the AFL sides who had reserves sides had an advantage over them.
It only took Crows 8 years to win 2 premierships, and Power 8 years to win 1, while they both had their 'reserves players' spread amongst the SANFL clubs.
In the 9 seasons since they have have their own separate reserves teams in the SANFL, Crows have only had 1 AFL GF appearance and Power have had no AFL GF appearances.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby whybother » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:17 am

The other "advantage" was that having top-up players would spread the experience to the wider football world. Q: How many top-ups were used by the AFL reserves this year, and other years? Also, is there a limit to the amount of time (seasons) that a top-up can be used by either AFL reserves.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL