R16 North v WWT Sat 2.10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R16 North v WWT Sat 2.10

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 pm

RB wrote:
Chrisso wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:Would pay for someone to knock robbie youngs head off - hes the most hated player in the SANFL - work with a few guys who play against him & everyone dispises the bloke

Must have learnt it from being a Port junior ;)

Seriously though, he has only been like this since he returned from his short stint at St Kilda.

Same thing happened to Grave Danger. Must be something in the water at Moorabbin.

Actually Dave might not have been hated but he certainly made life 'difficult' for his opponents.

I am loathe to comment on old players but Dave Granger was universally the most hated player to have played in the SANFL in my 60 years of following the game, both on and off the field.
Friends of mine who played at Port told me that he was reviled by his own teammates. His actions were always questionable. His first kick in SANFL football was not of the ball. In 1978, prior to his year at St Kilda, he allegedly broke a Woodville player's jaw. The player returned 9 weeks later and played against Granger and had his jaw broken again. One of the most mild mannered Port footballers of the time, challenged his teammate Granger and had to be restrained by other teammates, such was his anger and disappointment at Granger's actions. The Woodville player, a ball player retired after the second broken jaw.
Last edited by robranisgod on Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 pm

Spargo wrote:
Chrisso wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:Would pay for someone to knock robbie youngs head off - hes the most hated player in the SANFL - work with a few guys who play against him & everyone dispises the bloke

Seriously though, he has only been like this since he returned from his short stint at St Kilda. It even annoys me and I'm a North supporter.

What was he doing at St.Kilda?

St Kilda wanted Young to be the new Stephen Milne. They even tried to get him to wear Milne's number. The problem was that Robbie Young isn't a good enough footballer to hold his place at AFL level, let alone be a serial pest.
I won't defend Young's on field antics, but off the field he is a very nice, polite young man. He is obviously suffering from white line fever.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:01 pm

Agreed

In 2018 he was a fantastic pkayer he was creative a good link man type player and he had good forward pressure.

He deserved his premiership medal and his shot at the AFL.

He’s come back having lost a yard of pace. Now he’s second to the footy and trying to milk free kicks the opposite of what he was.

It’s frustrating seeing a player come back from the AFL a shadow of what he was.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:12 pm

It was a very good contest. North gradually got on top on the ball throughout the game, to the point they dominated most of the last half. They kicked a goal after the 3/4 time siren to move ahead on the scoreboard for the first time since early in the game and then two early goals in the last quarter for a 3 goal lead. Then the momentum swung again and the Eagles pressed forward, but North were able to outnumber the Eagles forwards and prevent any goals. Troy Menzel hitting the post from 30m out for a set shot deflating any chance the Eagles had of a comeback.

North retain the momentum they had before the Covid break and the Eagles still with some work to do to secure a top 3 chance. They also have some work to do to be good enough to challenge the likes of North and Glenelg in September. The form of the likes of Sinor, Lonergan and other on ballers is not up to their usual standard and won’t cut it in September.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:54 pm

robranisgod wrote:
RB wrote:
Chrisso wrote:

Seriously though, he has only been like this since he returned from his short stint at St Kilda.

Same thing happened to Grave Danger. Must be something in the water at Moorabbin.

Actually Dave might not have been hated but he certainly made life 'difficult' for his opponents.

I am loathe to comment on old players but Dave Granger was universally the most hated player to have played in the SANFL in my 60 years of following the game, both on and off the field.
Friends of mine who played at Port told me that he was reviled by his own teammates. His actions were always questionable. His first kick in SANFL football was not of the ball. In 1978, prior to his year at St Kilda, he allegedly broke a Woodville player's jaw. The payer returned 9 weeks later and played against Granger and had his jaw broken again. One of the most mild mannered Port footballers of the time, challenged his teammate Granger and had to be restrained by other teammates, such was his anger and disappointment at Granger's actions. The Woodville player, a ball player retired after the second broken jaw.

Was the Port player Cahill?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:21 pm

robranisgod wrote:I am loathe to comment on old players but Dave Granger was universally the most hated player to have played in the SANFL in my 60 years of following the game, both on and off the field.
Friends of mine who played at Port told me that he was reviled by his own teammates. His actions were always questionable. His first kick in SANFL football was not of the ball. In 1978, prior to his year at St Kilda, he allegedly broke a Woodville player's jaw. The payer returned 9 weeks later and played against Granger and had his jaw broken again. One of the most mild mannered Port footballers of the time, challenged his teammate Granger and had to be restrained by other teammates, such was his anger and disappointment at Granger's actions. The Woodville player, a ball player retired after the second broken jaw.

I’ve worked in pubs that many SANFL identities from the 70’s/80’s drank in. The stories they tell of Granger’s off field antics would make you sick.
His teammates at times may have confronted him but the club deliberately did nothing. He was a filthy grub on & off the field & they turned a blind eye to it.
It’s sad that some Port people still wear Granger’s behaviour as a badge of honour.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Spargo wrote:
robranisgod wrote:I am loathe to comment on old players but Dave Granger was universally the most hated player to have played in the SANFL in my 60 years of following the game, both on and off the field.

I’ve worked in pubs that many SANFL identities from the 70’s/80’s drank in. The stories they tell of Granger’s off field antics would make you sick.
His teammates at times may have confronted him but the club deliberately did nothing. He was a filthy grub on & off the field & they turned a blind eye to it.
It’s sad that some Port people still wear Granger’s behaviour as a badge of honour.

Agree with everything you say.
Unlike most other "white line fever" men, his behaviour was abhorrent off the field as well as on the field.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:10 pm

Anyways @robranisgod, possible Glenelg v North granny?

Spargo
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Spargo wrote:Anyways @robranisgod, possible Glenelg v North granny?

Possible, but then again North could finish fifth.
North still have South at Noarlunga, Norwood at Prospect and Sturt at Unley to play.
They would have to win the first two of those games to ensure the double chance.
If it were a Glenelg vs North Grand Final I would have little to no confidence.
I remember at this stage of the year in 2018 being told by a Norwood supporter that Norwood feared only one club, North and at the time I said to him that they needn't worry, North couldn't beat Brooksby and hence South. Jordan Sweet came in to the team, negated Brooksby to a certain extent and from then on I had some confidence.
This year I can't see North beating McBean. I have sung his praises already on this site. Furthermore I don't think the North big forwards can match Curran and Proud and although North's midfield is excellent, I don't think North have anyone quite as good as Partington and that is not to decry Snook, Turner or any of the other Glenelg midfielders.
I hark back to the game at Prospect in about round five when North looked to have Glenelg's measure at three quarter time when North led by a couple of points at three quarter time and were coming home with a three goal breeze. Glenelg, as they have done quite a few times this year, went into overdrive in the last quarter and won by five goals.
As an aside, given Glenelg's dominance and unbeaten status, their percentage is surprisingly low. In fact North now have a higher percentage than Glenelg and the Eagles percentage is almost as good. In fact there is only about a goal difference between the three clubs in percentage terms. All I can figure is that Glenelg have so much self belief that they seemingly cruise until the game has to be won and they go ahead and win.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:18 am

Eagles fans you were a bit more active in this thread post the siren http://safooty.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=2489801

What's happened? The Lock downs over and you were never locked out of your computers.....

At least Aerie has the kahunas to front up
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:51 am

Is that Wayne or Allan Stringer.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:02 am

DOC wrote:Is that Wayne or Allan Stringer.

Peter Rolfe actually

I missed your normally adroit assessment of the Glenelg South game too ;)
am Bays
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Sorry I haven't put up a review but I can hardly remember who played!
I do remember Peter Schwartz was a good guest speaker before the game and I remember the Weslo supervisor picking on the wrong person who may have been more aware of existing rules than him as may their friend who works in SA Health. :lol:
I do remember the Menzel boys playing damn good games in a losing side and it was a pleasure meeting Daniel after the game.
Didn't know me from a bar of soap, myself, the wife and an ex Woodville Legend were pretty drunk waiting for our uber outside the RSL (in our North gear too) and he made sure we were OK!
He had a giggle when he found out we were related.
I've been told by a few it was a good day, I'll take their word for it.
Hard run home for the chooks, this week at Panther Park looks like it may be the battle for third, going to be an interesting week considering a fanatical Panther girl lives with me.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Aerie » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:16 am

Full credit to Robbie Young for sitting with Tex and accepting his apology publicly. That is one of the bravest, kindest things someone could do.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:03 pm

It would be interesting to see what the Eagles record is when we have both Menzels playing in our team. Both very good players individually but I do feel it unbalances our forward line because they both tend to play that medium forward role and when we put Von Bertouch and Hayes up there it makes us a bit slow.

Not too worried about the outcome. North are a very good side but I thought we were the better team for more than a half. I think either team could well challenge Glenelg in a GF Showdown.

One of our players who has strung together a pretty good last 5 weeks has been Pudney. He seems to have worked on his disposal and less prone to errors than he was and continues to get a lot of the ball. His next goal should be to crack the 30 possession barrier. He always starts very well and is on 15+ possessions at half time but often dies out in the last half leaving him on around 23-24 possessions. Hopefully he keeps working hard because he making very good progress as a player.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:It would be interesting to see what the Eagles record is when we have both Menzels playing in our team. Both very good players individually but I do feel it unbalances our forward line because they both tend to play that medium forward role and when we put Von Bertouch and Hayes up there it makes us a bit slow.

The four big forwards probably suffered because of the conditions. The ground seem to be a mix of slippery and boggy.
Also it appeared as though von Bertouch was affected by being reported. He hardly touched the ball in the second half after being reported virtually on half time. There is no mention of his penalty, if any. If it was the AFL he would definitely get four games but horrific though it looked I thought that it was an accident with two players attacking the ball head on.
Getting back to the conditions, I don't know how many times North players fell over in the first half. I wonder if they changed their footwear in the second half, they didn't seem to fall over anywhere near as much in the second half.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 am

robranisgod wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:It would be interesting to see what the Eagles record is when we have both Menzels playing in our team. Both very good players individually but I do feel it unbalances our forward line because they both tend to play that medium forward role and when we put Von Bertouch and Hayes up there it makes us a bit slow.

The four big forwards probably suffered because of the conditions. The ground seem to be a mix of slippery and boggy.
Also it appeared as though von Bertouch was affected by being reported. He hardly touched the ball in the second half after being reported virtually on half time. There is no mention of his penalty, if any. If it was the AFL he would definitely get four games but horrific though it looked I thought that it was an accident with two players attacking the ball head on.
Getting back to the conditions, I don't know how many times North players fell over in the first half. I wonder if they changed their footwear in the second half, they didn't seem to fall over anywhere near as much in the second half.

I didn't even know he got reported!

Von Bertouch going missing for a half or 3/4 of a match without getting a touch is something most eagles fans would be familiar with and has been a feature of this game for the last 12 months or maybe more. He does this then within a short 5min burst will clunk a couple of great marks and kick a goal or two. It is very frustrating for eagles supporters because here is a bloke with all the tools to be a topline key forward but he just doesn't appear to work hard enough. I think he is a much better player as a key defender where he has played the bulk of his career for us with the odd foward cameo.

However the difficulty is that we have a settled backline so not sure he can go there meaning he plays permanently forward.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whybother » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:07 pm

There has been no MRP report on any of the games from last weekend. So no report ? or sloppy website.

Regarding VB, I think the time has come to makes some changes. #27 from backline into attack. He surprised in the reserves playing there a few weeks back. Or is it time to give the youngster #60 a chance in the league team ?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm

whybother wrote:There has been no MRP report on any of the games from last weekend. So no report ? or sloppy website.

Regarding VB, I think the time has come to makes some changes. #27 from backline into attack. He surprised in the reserves playing there a few weeks back. Or is it time to give the youngster #60 a chance in the league team ?

The Sunday Mail stated that he was reported and if you go to the Digital Pass you can see the incident at the 28 minute and 25 second mark of the second quarter. The umpire brings out his book, looks at von Bertouch's number, then writes in the book, before approaching the concussed Jarred Allmond and checks his number. The incident is at the 1 hour 6 minutes and 40 seconds into the Digital Pass vision of the game.
Maybe common sense prevailed and the powers that be viewed it as an unavoidable collision as I thought it was, and withdrew the charge but you would think that the league could have at least reported that the charge was withdrawn.
There was also an incident on Saturday involving a Norwood player that was referred directly to the tribunal. There is no result recorded with respect to that charge either.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm

robranisgod wrote:
whybother wrote:There has been no MRP report on any of the games from last weekend. So no report ? or sloppy website.

The Sunday Mail stated that he was reported and if you go to the Digital Pass you can see the incident at the 28 minute and 25 second mark of the second quarter. The umpire brings out his book, looks at von Bertouch's number, then writes in the book, before approaching the concussed Jarred Allmond and checks his number. The incident is at the 1 hour 6 minutes and 40 seconds into the Digital Pass vision of the game.
Maybe common sense prevailed and the powers that be viewed it as an unavoidable collision as I thought it was, and withdrew the charge but you would think that the league could have at least reported that the charge was withdrawn.
There was also an incident on Saturday involving a Norwood player that was referred directly to the tribunal. There is no result recorded with respect to that charge either.

Also the fact Chalmers pushed Von Bertouch into the contest just before the collision.
The Norwood player reported was Xavier Tranfa. Allegedly said something to Sam Durdin. I’ve never seen Durdin that mad, no idea what was said.

Spargo
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL