R5 Port v Eagles Sunday 2.10PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R5 Port v Eagles Sunday 2.10PM

Postby Aerie » Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm

Do these games even count? Oh well, at least it ends up around even with a thrashing of the Crows Reserves earlier and getting towelled up by the other AFL Reserves team today. Back to the real stuff next week.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Reddeer » Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Where did our much vaunted great depth of talent go today. A few good players absent through injury and we collapse
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun May 02, 2021 8:12 pm

A very 'un-Eagles like' performance today. Poor skills, poor decision making, fumbly, lack of pressure on the ball carrier, numerous broken tackles and physically intimidated. I can't remember a worse performance than this for a long time. Even the debacle at norwood last year was better than today.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun May 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Port far too good today. Unfortunately no positives for the Eagles coming out of this. Loss of Hayes before the game was massive and our experienced midfielders were well down. I hardly noticed them. They were dominated and yet they somehow still racked up big numbers but most of these were ineffectual. I think Redden might be pretty well done. He came up against possibly the best ruckman in the competition at the moment but his inability to get around the ground these days is costly. VB with only 6 possessions as well. Difficult to nominate our best players as no one really won their positions but in no particular order i would go Knights, Giuffreda, Menzel, Jungfer and Stengle.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 03, 2021 7:42 am

Mr Fuller wrote:Port far too good today. Unfortunately no positives for the Eagles coming out of this. Loss of Hayes before the game was massive and our experienced midfielders were well down. I hardly noticed them. They were dominated and yet they somehow still racked up big numbers but most of these were ineffectual. I think Redden might be pretty well done. He came up against possibly the best ruckman in the competition at the moment but his inability to get around the ground these days is costly. VB with only 6 possessions as well. Difficult to nominate our best players as no one really won their positions but in no particular order i would go Knights, Giuffreda, Menzel, Jungfer and Stengle.

Tsitas had 40 possessions but no mention?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby ferret » Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am

A difficult game to watch. Our linking of chains of play is still a problem. I thought a good positive was the second half played by Zane Williams when moved on to the ball. He ran hard, covered a lot of ground and found a bit of the ball. Maybe a shift further up the ground could be on.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby schimma » Mon May 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Not often you walk away unhappy with the effort. But yesterday was one of them. Few players pulling out of contests and the skill level was ordinary at best. Yes a few players out. but the effort was not good enough. Only good thing from the day was the pasties and the beers in the bowls club. Port too good. move onto the Mike Ranns this week at Eagle Park
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon May 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Very un-Eagles like performance and traditionally we bounce back well from a drubbing.
Badly need Lonergan and his big arse back in the midfield.
Another good test for Sheedy this week.
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon May 03, 2021 4:04 pm

Unfortunately we haven't had a good run with injury this year like we did last year.

One of the most unlikely players who has been a big loss for us is Jordan West as this has upset the team structure. With him rucking it would allow Hayes to spend the bulk of his time up forward where we badly miss a tall target to kick to. With Hayes more or less stationed up forward it then allows the Menzels to be those medium leading targets without having to worry about taking that pack mark. They can then play to their strengths. It also means players like VB are under more pressure to be more competitive and fight hard to retain their places.

Lonegan and Much will be important 'ins' when they are back in a few weeks. We just need to keep in the hunt until we get our best team back together again in about 4 weeks time.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL