R15 - WWT Eagles v North @ Prospect

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R15 - WWT Eagles v North @ Prospect

Postby Magellan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:09 am

Disappointed to lose, especially when we got so close in the last, but plenty of positives at Prospect for the future. We've shown we can compete with all sides (bar Central in round one), it's consistency that is the issue. Our forwards show glimpses of greatness but also let themselves down with unforced errors or lapses in judgment. I'd hope this could be addressed with some targeted recruiting (given we must have some spare salary cap cash) and Josh Carr bloods some of our promising kids in the next few weeks.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 am

Magellan wrote:Disappointed to lose, especially when we got so close in the last, but plenty of positives at Prospect for the future. We've shown we can compete with all sides (bar Central in round one), it's consistency that is the issue. Our forwards show glimpses of greatness but also let themselves down with unforced errors or lapses in judgment. I'd hope this could be addressed with some targeted recruiting (given we must have some spare salary cap cash) and Josh Carr bloods some of our promising kids in the next few weeks.

There was a lot to like about North. Good transitional movement, Good kicking at goals and good defensive pressure. I cant see why they can not dot it every week. They were unlucky against us earlier this year at Woodville. Is it a motivational thing against certain sides. North also pushed the crows a couple of times yet lose to sides such as West.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:01 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Disappointed to lose, especially when we got so close in the last, but plenty of positives at Prospect for the future. We've shown we can compete with all sides (bar Central in round one), it's consistency that is the issue. Our forwards show glimpses of greatness but also let themselves down with unforced errors or lapses in judgment. I'd hope this could be addressed with some targeted recruiting (given we must have some spare salary cap cash) and Josh Carr bloods some of our promising kids in the next few weeks.

There was a lot to like about North. Good transitional movement, Good kicking at goals and good defensive pressure. I cant see why they can not dot it every week. They were unlucky against us earlier this year at Woodville. Is it a motivational thing against certain sides. North also pushed the crows a couple of times yet lose to sides such as West.

I don't think that big forward helped norths woes dropping easy marks .
Saying that I was impressed by north they play a different style of footty than all the other SANFL teams have against the Eagles .
And it almost worked
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:Eagles with a 2 to 3 goal breeze in the first quarter
Not sure where you heard that Wedgie, that wind (it was a lot more than a breeze) had to be worth at least 5 in the 1st 1/2 and a fair bit of the 3rd
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Wedgie wrote:
locky801 wrote:Eagles 9.16

North 10.4

All over, saying nothing

I'll say it, listening to the radio it sounds like the umpires continued their tradition in giving another one to the golden child.

Yep, WWT the Hawthorn of the SANFL, must be something to do with the shitty colour of their guernseys :roll:
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:45 pm

goddy11 wrote:it feels like the loss we had to had except we won. There was a strong breeze favouring the southern end to which the cocks kicked in the last quarter but the Eagles held out.

That wind had died down a lot by 3/4 time, it was still worth a couple but not what it was worth earlier.

In the last North seemed scared to try and do what they did with great success in the 2nd, in that 1/4 they backed themselves, went long and let the wind carry the ball, if they had attacked the same way in the 4th 1/4 and used what was left of a still pretty good breeze it could have been a very different result.

North are close but not quite there, very reminiscent of the year before Francou took the Cocks into a GF, a massive improvement on the McGregor debacle. I'm hoping for bigger and better things in 2017
Ian

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Ian wrote:
Not sure where you heard that Wedgie, that wind (it was a lot more than a breeze) had to be worth at least 5 in the 1st 1/2 and a fair bit of the 3rd

The live stream mate, and looking at the scores their assessment was a lot closer than yours :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Ian wrote:

The live stream mate, and looking at the scores their assessment was a lot closer than yours :)

We were standing in it, a lot of us thought it was worth a lot more than that, in the 1st, the Eagles shots at goal would suggest we were pretty well spot on, they wasted a lot of opportunities
Ian

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Ian wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Ian wrote:

We were standing in it, a lot of us thought it was worth a lot more than that, in the 1st, the Eagles shots at goal would suggest we were pretty well spot on, they wasted a lot of opportunities

I think you'll find moat teams kick points in games and that is taken into account when making an estimate of the breezes net worth.
Eagles outscored north by 2.5 in the first, North outscored the Eagles by 4.1 in the second and the Eagles outscored North by 2.5 in the third. North outscored the Eagles by 5 points in the last. That's an average of just under 2 goals 3 points per quarter. I'll stick with Big Phil instead of you mate. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Big Phil was tucked up in the Grand Stand, myself and the others commenting on it were standing in it, by 1/2 time his estimate was probably a bit closer, even the 4th was a 2-3 goal breeze and that was after the wind sock had gone from horizontal to 45 degrees
Ian

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Ian wrote:his estimate was probably a bit closer

Correct
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Ian wrote:North are close but not quite there, very reminiscent of the year before Francou took the Cocks into a GF, a massive improvement on the McGregor debacle. I'm hoping for bigger and better things in 2017

Agreed. We're taking a bit of time to adapt to a new coaching approach and philosophy (you might say we're learning one completely from scratch given McGregor offered diddly-squat), but once it sinks in hopefully it'll yield big dividends.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Crowd 1,816
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Correct

You were there so you'd know ;)
Ian

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Ian wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Correct

You were there so you'd know ;)

Got my fix the week before. SANFL is like a period to me these days, it can painful but I put up with it once a month.
If I can time my visits to Prospect without having some inconsiderate bastard standing in front of me all of the time despite the place being 99% empty that's a bonus too. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42 am

Magellan wrote:
Ian wrote:North are close but not quite there, very reminiscent of the year before Francou took the Cocks into a GF, a massive improvement on the McGregor debacle. I'm hoping for bigger and better things in 2017

Agreed. We're taking a bit of time to adapt to a new coaching approach and philosophy (you might say we're learning one completely from scratch given McGregor offered diddly-squat), but once it sinks in hopefully it'll yield big dividends.

I thought the diddling and squatting was during Jarman's reign ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:36 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I thought the diddling and squatting was during Jarman's reign ;)

Other way around, I reckon. Otherwise it may not have hit the desk. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby holden78 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 am

Any club getting Kenny M to coach is run as an ongoing comedy sideshow :lol:
Enough said!
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:54 am

holden78 wrote:Any club getting Kenny M to coach is run as an ongoing comedy sideshow :lol:
Enough said!

Very true, the Eagles are a living breathing example of a strong, well-managed football organisation. Hats off to them, it's amazing what combining two long-term underachieving cellar-dweller clubs can achieve.

Imagine how embarrassed you'd have been if a joke like North had actually beaten God's gift to football administration. You would've been nervous as hell late in the last quarter, puffing away at the fags* or involuntarily scoffing boxes of Tim-Tams Wundke-style.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:49 am

Magellan wrote:
holden78 wrote:Any club getting Kenny M to coach is run as an ongoing comedy sideshow :lol:
Enough said!

Very true, the Eagles are a living breathing example of a strong, well-managed football organisation. Hats off to them, it's amazing what combining two long-term underachieving cellar-dweller clubs can achieve.

Imagine how embarrassed you'd have been if a joke like North had actually beaten God's gift to football administration. You would've been nervous as hell late in the last quarter, puffing away at the fags* or involuntarily scoffing boxes of Tim-Tams Wundke-style.

All I can say seeing I have no issues north played well .
You can say what you like about Wundke I hear it a lot about pies at the footy .
He can eat as many as he wants as long as he kicks 6 goals or more a game .
He didn't against north he did get hit or kicked in the head six stitches the resulting free kick to Wundke he couldn't take due to
The blood rule won the game .

I'm in no way backing up Holden but you know what they say a win is a win
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times