SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 am

teaoby wrote:How on earth would they fit them all in the salary cap!!?
And please don't give me "they are locals and will take the minimum" because that is crap.

Ainger and Wundke to play for peanuts ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:11 am

heater31 wrote:
And please don't give me "they are locals and will take the minimum" because that is crap.

Looks like Wundke is paid in pies
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby goddy11 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:33 am

heater31 wrote:

I'm not sure how it affects the salary cap but Rowntree and Poole will be out for all or most of next year. Not sure of Wunke's contract but In my opinion he's a liability. can only play 1 position. McMahon and Redden will cost a bit, but good recruits. McDonough and Giles will be on base payments. I find a lot of delisted draftees take a while to settle back into SANFL and usually do not come back as good as they left.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 am

goddy11 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

I'm not sure how it affects the salary cap but Rowntree and Poole will be out for all or most of next year. Not sure of Wunke's contract but In my opinion he's a liability. can only play 1 position. McMahon and Redden will cost a bit, but good recruits. McDonough and Giles will be on base payments. I find a lot of delisted draftees take a while to settle back into SANFL and usually do not come back as good as they left.

Do the Eagles still use the base match payment to the selected 21 plus bonuses for performance?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Wouldn't think they'd expect to fit them all in.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Big Phil wrote:Eagles chasing four former players recently delisted from the AFL in the last few months...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3243/

Scott McMahon (North Melbourne), Jarrad Redden (Port Adelaide), Matt McDonough (Richmond) Cameron Giles (Carlton)

McMahon is about to go 30, has been in Melbourne since 2007 and would be,IMO, very unlikely to come back to SA to play SANFL. If he did though, he might come fairly cheaply. He's a Yorke Peninsula product, but I'm pretty sure he married a girl from Melbourne.....unlikely.

Redden has been riddled by injury and even solid SANFL football might be out of the reach of his body now. But, he is an Eagles lad and might be a chance to return to Woodville. I would think he's not going to get another go at AFL level, but can his body even take SANFL demands? Possible.

The other two I know little about, so wont comment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Eagles chasing four former players recently delisted from the AFL in the last few months...

Scott McMahon (North Melbourne), Jarrad Redden (Port Adelaide), Matt McDonough (Richmond) Cameron Giles (Carlton)

McMahon is about to go 30, has been in Melbourne since 2007 and would be,IMO, very unlikely to come back to SA to play SANFL. If he did though, he might come fairly cheaply. He's a Yorke Peninsula product, but I'm pretty sure he married a girl from Melbourne.....unlikely.

As below, it said in the actual article itself that Scott was keen to come back home and play in the SANFL, as well...

the article above wrote:Speaking on SANFL Radio, Powell said McMahon had indicated he would be returning back to South Australia after spending the past nine seasons with the Kangaroos for a total of 124 AFL games.

Originally from the Eagles’ Yorke Peninsula country zone, the 29-year-old is keen to continue his career in the SANFL after managing just two AFL matches this year.

Further from that, I'm pretty sure Scott married a young lady that used to work at the SANFL, named Desiree, who I think is an SA girl, as well...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Booney wrote:

As below, it said in the actual article itself that Scott was keen to come back home and play in the SANFL, as well...

the article above wrote:Speaking on SANFL Radio, Powell said McMahon had indicated he would be returning back to South Australia after spending the past nine seasons with the Kangaroos for a total of 124 AFL games.

Originally from the Eagles’ Yorke Peninsula country zone, the 29-year-old is keen to continue his career in the SANFL after managing just two AFL matches this year.

Further from that, I'm pretty sure Scott married a young lady that used to work at the SANFL, named Desiree, who I think is an SA girl, as well...

Well, there you go, I should have opened the link. In my defence, anything on the SANFL site should be taken with a grain of salt. They aren't exaclt football experts down there. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:41 pm

goddy11 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

A question for Powell and Godden - are we targeting these guys because we genuinely see a hole in our side that they can fill or are we targeting them purely because they are ex-eagles players? It seems that the latter is true and this is hardly a smart strategy. Our biggest concern for the new season is that our prime midfielder of 2015 (Rowntree) will miss with an ACL. Therefore a like-for-like midfielder would be most ideal. Not one of those guys being targeted fills that need yet we will blow our cash on them nonetheless.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Jackal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Reality is that only 1 or 2 of the 4 ex Eagles will join the squad for 2016.
McDonagh is the one to secure as a replacement for Rowntree, I think he fits the bill.
Redden is ok as an SANFL player and would be a good addition but we may have to see if Thurlow stays before going too far, plus he is often injured.
MacMahon...guys who have been in the AFL system for 9 or 10 years are normally shot when they return to SANFL, I cant see him joining us as we have plenty of defenders but his hard attack on the ball would be handy.
Giles has had a poor run with injury and has to overcome the foot problem that has plagued him so far, not sure where he is at.
Jackal
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Central District midfielder Jackson Potter is an OUT for the Dogs in 2016...

The hard-nosed left footed on-baller found some pretty good form, including kicking goals, in the back half of the season...

He is returning home to Sydney after 3 years at Elizabeth...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Redden would definitely be a priority IMO. Good run with injury and a full season at the Eagles and he'd be close to the best ruckman in the comp. More useful around the ground too. Borholm, one good year, Thurlow should be good but bit of an unknown.

Agree we have plenty of defenders, also had Rakawasi and Templeton in the 2's. Full credit to McMahon for wanting to though.

As for the others, Hayes came back this year and developed into a useful player, so I'd be happy to have them back provided we also targeted recruiting another hard on-baller. You can't just aim to replace one hard on-baller, Norwood and now West have shown over the last few years how useful it is to have 3, preferably 4.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby JK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Nathan Gordon chopped by Richmond today - Wonder if the Roosters will be able to get him back. Would be a great pick up if they can.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Big Phil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Matt Thomas has been delisted by Richmond so no doubt Mark Ross and the Norwood FC will be calling to see if the Magarey Medalist is keen to return back to South Australia...

Former North Adelaide mature-age recruit Nathan Gordon has been delisted by the Tigers, as well, so I'd suspect Josh Carr would be ringing to gauge his interest in a return to SA, perhaps...

Former Rooster junior Matthew Wright has been delisted by the Adelaide Crows this afternoon, also. If another AFL club doesn't offer him a life-line, I'd suspect he'll be chased by North, as well...

Former South Adelaide listed player Tom Fields also delisted today, by Carlton. I think I read on here the booming left-footer might be keen on punting in the States, if not the Panthers would love him back, no doubt...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Can't see Matt coming back to SA
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 pm

All the talk around salary caps with the Eagles , couldn't see Norwood recruiting too many more. Not a great history . Salary cap far too low anyway . Thats why guys like Gordon stand out in our comp but do nothing at AFL level. He isn't AFL standard. The AFL & SANFL have got this all wrong. Draft them at 20 , raise the SANFL salary cap significantly. Everyone wins. We see our young guns for a few years , our comp gets stronger. Then they are AFL ready to go in the first season as they have had the work put into them with strength and size and have been playing against mature bodies. It probably turns out cheaper for AFL clubs .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:All the talk around salary caps with the Eagles , couldn't see Norwood recruiting too many more. Not a great history . Salary cap far too low anyway . Thats why guys like Gordon stand out in our comp but do nothing at AFL level. He isn't AFL standard. The AFL & SANFL have got this all wrong. Draft them at 20 , raise the SANFL salary cap significantly. Everyone wins. We see our young guns for a few years , our comp gets stronger. Then they are AFL ready to go in the first season as they have had the work put into them with strength and size and have been playing against mature bodies. It probably turns out cheaper for AFL clubs .

Been saying it for years lift the draft age let players mature in the SANFL & WAFL, let them get their Uni degrees etc then play in the AFL might get players from other states then wanting to get looked at by playing in the best two comps in the land outside of the AFL.

Works well in the USA, finish college get your degree play college football and get drafted makes sense to me!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Nice ideas chaps but business is business.
The AFL big picture game plan will always rule.
Know your place and just work with what is achievable in your local league environment.
Just make best of it.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:50 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Nice ideas chaps but business is business.
The AFL big picture game plan will always rule.
Know your place and just work with what is achievable in your local league environment.
Just make best of it.

Oh ,I think you are saying it is a good model now.? I was talking big picture hence the post .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:54 am

Always said SANFl clubs should have a scholarship system.

Keeping 1 Under 18 in the system who doesnt want to enter the draft or doesnt feel ready.

$30K a year half funded by SANFL (not included in salary cap).

Another point.

Amateur clubs now officially pay players and they are allowed to have a marquee player thats payments arent recorded to the salary cap.

But SANFL clubs dont have this option.

WHy the hell not ?

Might help the drain of players to country clubs if we have the same options.

Also might stop three time magarey medalists and state ruckmen signing for Div 3 ammo clubs.

SANFL presidents should be either challenging this or adopting it.

Easier to get approval when you have a precedent btw.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL