SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am

wristwatcher wrote:I'm certain I have more idea than you. I will be there to see it first hand on Sunday whilst you are likely to be on your keyboard whinging about it.

Start rounding up your mates then.
Ports crowds have been nothing short of pathetic this year. With all your 50,000 members nothing short of 40k this week should be acceptable
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rising Power » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:36 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:It's a bit of the unknown really. Norwood fans WILL be there but not sure about the Port people.

From a TV audience view I hope it gets a big crowd to get a message that it's a good comp worth attending and still holds interest. But I would also like to see mainly Norwood fans to show the Magpies are irrelevant.

Irrelevant is an interesting take on it. If anything the SANFL would take it as Norwood's final stamp of approval on 'AFL in the SANFL' and more reason to trumpet the success of the season.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby The Panther » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 am

Still not happy after Sunday , but the SANFL Grand Final is a great day. So I still intend to go and cheer Norwood on ( nothing different to any other GF between these two sides ).

Adelaide Oval is a great stadium and with 8,000 on Sunday the atmosphere was great , so anything over 20,000 will be too.

How long until we see a port v crows GF in SANFL - hopefully never , but personally I don't think it will take too long.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 am

wristwatcher wrote:I'm certain I have more idea than you. I will be there to see it first hand on Sunday whilst you are likely to be on your keyboard whinging about it.

I would be there on Sunday but I'm washing my hair.

And the fact you think many posters on here are simply obsessed with doom and gloom shows you have no idea.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:49 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:It's a bit of the unknown really. Norwood fans WILL be there but not sure about the Port people.

From a TV audience view I hope it gets a big crowd to get a message that it's a good comp worth attending and still holds interest.

But I would also like to see mainly Norwood fans to show the Magpies are irrelevant.

Quite an interesting comment as you're happy enough to claim, in your opinion, that the Magpies are irrelevant yet aren't willing to demonstrate who it is that you support.

So, I guess who you support is, well, irrelevant too?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:52 am

Booney wrote:

From a TV audience view I hope it gets a big crowd to get a message that it's a good comp worth attending and still holds interest.

But I would also like to see mainly Norwood fans to show the Magpies are irrelevant.

Quite an interesting comment as you're happy enough to claim, in your opinion, that the Magpies are irrelevant yet aren't willing to demonstrate who it is that you support.

So, I guess who you support is, well, irrelevant too?

I think he supports Port Power ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Scoop » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:04 am

If South Adelaide were playing this weekend I'd be there no matter what, but now that we are out of the finals I will not be attending this year's GF (or watching it on TV) as I didn't support the entry of the two AFL sides when it was first mooted, didn't support it during the year and still do not support it. The fact that one of these AFL franchises now has the opportunity to win the SANFL premiership just proves what many thought would happen.

I will be weeding the garden and ignoring the game.
Insanity Multimedia and Nick Hook Photography
Scoop
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Ports crowds have been nothing short of pathetic this year. With all your 50,000 members nothing short of 40k this week should be acceptable

If there is only 30K and Port win the Premiership that will be more than acceptable.

I am willing to admit Ports presence in the AFL Prelim is over shadowing it but still hoping that our club will have two reasons to celebrate come Sunday evening.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

If there is only 30K and Port win the Premiership that will be more than acceptable.

I am willing to admit Ports presence in the AFL Prelim is over shadowing it but still hoping that our club will have two reasons to celebrate come Sunday evening.

No it won't be. If you don't get more than last year then it's not good enough. After all Port have the most supporters in the SANFL. That is what we have had shoved down our throats for years.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby The Ash Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:36 pm

cennals05 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

No it won't be. If you don't get more than last year then it's not good enough. After all Port have the most supporters in the SANFL. That is what we have had shoved down our throats for years.

There was around 37k at last years, it was great.
Not sure that it will be beaten this year
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 pm

There was a last game at footy park effect going on there too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Yes but Footy Park didn't have all the SACA members who can get in for free.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby matt35 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Spot on Benny! My girlfriend and I made a late decision to go for that very reason, was the first GF I'd been to since 2008. This year we decided to go weeks ago regardless of who made it.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

matt35 wrote:Spot on Benny!.

LMFAO.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby RB » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:There was a last game at footy park effect going on there too

I think the novelty value of AO outweighs the whole last game at the stadium everyone wanted to blow up anyway thing.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby LPH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Not going this year, for the 1st time in a long time - have seen 30 odd, GFs since 1976.

Since 2004, Grand Final Day has been 'Boys Day Out' for my son & I - starting @ 5th Quarter Pub around 9am (opening time).

Would've probably started @ the Pub on Jeffcott St. this year but have decided to go & support my wife running the City to Bay for the 1st time, not because of that so much but more because my Boy isn't interested this year. His words, not mine; "The SANFL isn't the same anymore Dad".

Had South made it, I might've gone but really I'm nonplussed.

Good Luck to BOTH Teams (of players), they were the 2 best Teams all year & deserve to play in the Grand Final.
It can be argued, of course, that one side shouldn't be there because of unfairness in terms of personnel, $$$ & resources - & I would obviously agree with that, but the facts remain these were the 2 best sides for the year.

I genuinely hope for a decent Crowd. If I were to define 'decent', I would suggest 28K+.
To those going (particularly the Norwood supporters), enjoy the day - it will STILL be that 'special' day of the year, particularly if you win :D
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 pm

If drawing a crowd and getting media coverage were genuine goals for the SANFL then they would not have programmed the GF on AFL prelim weekend in preference to a long weekend free of any AFL.

But 2 new teams that asked to join the comp wanted it that way? Oh sorry, excellent reason to abandon a set up that was clearly working well.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:12 pm

SANFLnut wrote:If drawing a crowd and getting media coverage were genuine goals for the SANFL then they would not have programmed the GF on AFL prelim weekend in preference to a long weekend free of any AFL.

But 2 new teams that asked to join the comp wanted it that way? Oh sorry, excellent reason to abandon a set up that was clearly working well.

Yep personally I would love to see less than 25k and a Port victory that would really drive home what a F**k up the league has become.

Realistically I think there will be 35K (AO novelty, Good Norwood following, Port supporters making a double game weekend) and a Norwood win as well.

How big an impact could Saturday Nights Power result have an effect on Sundays crowd.

Couldn't imagine to many Power supporters would be willing to part with $30 entry fee plus the hiked up prices of AO to watch their reserves side when the next week they maybe off to the 'G' or at very least having big GF day parties etc etc

On the other hand what better way to get over a AFL prelim loss than supporting their reserves to a victory over the old enemy.

At a guess I reckon Saturday nights result could affect the SANFL GF crowd between 5-10k
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Tech1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Between 30-35,000 is my prediction, which is pretty crap considering it's at the new Adelaide Oval, plenty of neutrals will stay away and rightly so with the power reserves playing. Basically it's all up to Norwood supporters, they will provide the majority of support. If it was between two real SANFL clubs it would be a lot closer to 40,000 imho.

18,000 Norwood
10,000-15,000 Power (depending on if they win Saturday night)
2,000 Neutrals
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Rising Power wrote:

From a TV audience view I hope it gets a big crowd to get a message that it's a good comp worth attending and still holds interest. But I would also like to see mainly Norwood fans to show the Magpies are irrelevant.

Irrelevant is an interesting take on it. If anything the SANFL would take it as Norwood's final stamp of approval on 'AFL in the SANFL' and more reason to trumpet the success of the season.

Care to explain what you mean , it doesn't make any sense thats all .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL