The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby goddy11 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm

There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”. ― Benjamin Disraeli
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby morell » Wed May 31, 2017 7:01 pm

You blokes are incorrigible!

He asked for a source, I provided it.

It's Roy ******* Morgan, not some random bar fly. This research has been done for a long time and is peer reviewed.

800k Brisbane supporters sounds about right. They'd have most of the Brisbane population and then there are a lot of ex Fitzroy supporters still.

This is the thing, we're all pretty keen footy people otherwise we wouldn't be posting on here. But beyond that are huge swathes of people who would "follow" a team but aren't the types to buy memberships or get too involved. That survey counts those types.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm

morell wrote:Nah, its kind of inarguable, actually. The AFL Reserves and One Club stuff happened in 2014. It's going to take a little while to see the young players develop under that system.

You want a flag within the next year or so as evidence that it's better? That's an argument of monumentally stupid proportions. You should submit your keyboard license and hand over the admin of safooty for putting forward such a proposition.

Brenton Sanderson, who drove the ressies team in SANFL =

“I want to make the Adelaide Football Club stronger and to win premierships and having our own reserves side gives us the best chance to achieve that."

Facts are things haven't changed, performance hasn't improved, now you want a decade or more to prove it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:22 pm

More gold from Sanderson in 2013 -

“It’s fantastic for our Club and I think it’ll be great for South Australian footy. It’s a major step in ensuring that football in this state is strong not just in the short-term, but the long-term,” Sanderson said.

“We think we can work with the SANFL to attract bigger crowds and generate more revenue for the clubs.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Wed May 31, 2017 10:32 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 am

Dutchy wrote:More gold from Sanderson in 2013 -

“It’s fantastic for our Club and I think it’ll be great for South Australian footy. It’s a major step in ensuring that football in this state is strong not just in the short-term, but the long-term,” Sanderson said.

“We think we can work with the SANFL to attract bigger crowds and generate more revenue for the clubs.”

what exactly do you expect the coach of the AFL club to say?

Doesnt really tell you anything
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 am

bennymacca wrote:

My biggest issue was these were just throw away lines with zero research or effort put in to the point that history had shown in both the VFL and WAFL that the introduction of AFL reserves does not increase crowd attendance or able clubs to generate more revenue.

The Crows undoubtedly abused their weight of power to manipulate the 'average' punters views on their introduction into the league which has been proven with all the failed promises. The David Burtenshaw saga on here was an all time classic example of this.

Yes i also agree the SANFL club directors are also to blame for putting their personal ambitions ahead of the SANFL leagues sustainability.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

The best one of the lot was they wanted a 8-0 vote accepting them. They got 6-2 and still went ahead....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 am

heater31 wrote:The best one of the lot was they wanted a 8-0 vote accepting them. They got 6-2 and still went ahead....

Yes, it was changed from "nothing other than a unanimous vote" to "a majority vote will do".
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 am

heater31 wrote:The best one of the lot was they wanted a 8-0 vote accepting them. They got 6-2 and still went ahead....

The Crow's media 'partners' virtually ignored their shenanigans. Were happy to run endless syndicated stories about the Essendon doping scandal and how James Hird filled his time but too hard to cover events closer to home. It doesn't help the general public to fully understand how football is run now in this state.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:08 am

bennymacca wrote:

The truth would be a good start.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby morell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am

Dutchy wrote:
morell wrote:Nah, its kind of inarguable, actually. The AFL Reserves and One Club stuff happened in 2014. It's going to take a little while to see the young players develop under that system.

You want a flag within the next year or so as evidence that it's better? That's an argument of monumentally stupid proportions. You should submit your keyboard license and hand over the admin of safooty for putting forward such a proposition.

Brenton Sanderson, who drove the ressies team in SANFL =

“I want to make the Adelaide Football Club stronger and to win premierships and having our own reserves side gives us the best chance to achieve that."

Facts are things haven't changed, performance hasn't improved, now you want a decade or more to prove it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you for real? I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're legitimately trying to conflate the lack of premierships or perceived performance (actually think both sides are kind of going OK right now) in the immediate years after this structure was implemented to it not working. It's honestly a profoundly stupid argument.

It's like saying buying a house is Rose Park in 1960 is a poor investment because it didn't see an increase in price in 1961.

Besides, I can see an improvement in the development of Port's younger players. I doubt Marshall would be playing regular senior footy in a key position at any other club - he's developed at a faster pace than most thought. I doubt Howard would've been played as a key position straight away after his reco. No doubt Houston would've been kept as a forward flanker. Perhaps Atley gets less minutes in the guts ... et cetera et cetera

Until Marshall, Atley, Drew, Bonner, Johnson, Snelling, Houston, Howard, Austin, Palmer, Frampton have played 50+ AFL games (or not) we won't be able to tell if the change in player development at the Reserves level has improved or not.

How you can't understand this logic floors me.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 am

I've stayed out of this thread for a while.
However, I'm glad I checked it out so I could learn about Psyber's latest conquest.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:24 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I've stayed out of this thread for a while.
However, I'm glad I checked it out so I could learn about Psyber's latest conquest.

Took longer to make his way around to a Portonian than I thought.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am

morell wrote:Besides, I can see an improvement in the development of Port's younger players. I doubt Marshall would be playing regular senior footy in a key position at any other club.

Bang...there it is...doesn't deserve a game at SANFL level, but now gets gifted it and doesn't need to earn it like others before him.

And you expect SANFL fans to support this crap?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby morell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
morell wrote:Besides, I can see an improvement in the development of Port's younger players. I doubt Marshall would be playing regular senior footy in a key position at any other club.

Bang...there it is...doesn't deserve a game at SANFL level, but now gets gifted it and doesn't need to earn it like others before him.

I expect them to understand that it's for the betterment of football in this state and in the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal.

I mean really, you've got your knickers in a knot because Port are playing a kid? That's honestly one of your gripes?

You must have lived an exalted life as a football fan.
morell
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 pm

You used to have to earn a SANFL league game, the vast majority have earned it through blood, sweat and tears, even more have failed in their attempt but again have spent years trying to achieve the ultimate in SA Football.

Now you just get on an AFL list, or even worse fill out an application form to join the AFC top up list.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby morell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Yep. The times, they are a changing!

I have to admit a young kid getting a game where he previously wouldn't for a club you don't support is one of the more obscure annoyances I've read.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 pm

morell wrote: I expect them to understand that it's for the betterment of football in this state and in the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal.

Betterment of football in SA? No, it's for the betterment of two football clubs in the national competition, not THE state.
There's a big difference between the two.
I can accept some arguments for the reserves being in the competition, but this is not one of them.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 pm

morell wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I expect them to understand that it's for the betterment of football in this state and in the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal.

I mean really, you've got your knickers in a knot because Port are playing a kid? That's honestly one of your gripes?

You must have lived an exalted life as a football fan.

Is State of Origin on the agenda??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL