The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby StrayDog » Thu May 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Big Phil wrote:Interesting article from AdelaideNow...

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/new ... 7353939560

No surprises in Parkinson's comments.

Handy with the shoe polish is our Jake - happy to give this 'AFL reserves' turd a quick buff 'n' shine whenever the opportunity has presented.
Last edited by StrayDog on Thu May 14, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1148 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Hazydog » Thu May 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Hazydog wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Interesting article from AdelaideNow...

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/new ... 7353939560

New SANFL chief Jake Parkinson says State league is not suffering from Crows and Power reserves

SANFL boss Jake Parkinson is pointing to increased club membership figures — and not fallen crowd numbers — as reason to not rethink the presence of Crows and Power AFL reserves teams in the state league.

Central District, an SANFL powerhouse before the AFL reserves debate ended with the State league’s refit to a 10-team competition last season, has called for the Crows and Power sides to be axed. The Bulldogs want an uncompromised SANFL with no AFL content.

That call rests with the SA Football Commission that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season.

“And we are not hitting any panic buttons now,” Parkinson said.

Central District has reiterated its wish for no AFL content in the state league with Bulldogs chief Kris Grant backing his case on falling SANFL crowd figures.

SANFL attendances have slipped to a game average of 2637, six per cent down from last year’s mark of 2819. The 2637 figure is one of the lowest since 1997 when the SANFL had to deal with Adelaide hosting AFL games each weekend with the advent of the Power as the state’s second AFL entry.

At Crows SANFL games, the crowd figure — that was expected to average at 4000 — has dropped 36 per cent to 2173. The Magpies’ figure is down 15 per cent to a 2740 average. But Parkinson disputes the image these numbers leave of fans turning their back on the SANFL. He has compared Central District figures in 2014 and this season across the same opponents.

“The difference on a like-for-like count is 100,” Parkinson said. “The crowd figures are down for the weather. The Port Adelaide-Norwood grand final rematch at Adelaide Oval was superbly promoted, particularly by Port Adelaide. Then it poured on the night — you can’t help that.

“Our other key indicators are up — membership is up three per cent. Media interest and website activity is up. This tells us there is a vibrant and successful SANFL. And we are working at making it stronger.”

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

Ok - So we get 1300 at Elizabeth but because website activity is up all is fine and dandy? :roll:

I'm surprised we are only 100 down "like for like" from last year. Would like to verify those figures.

So going on Phil H's weekly stats reports on the Footetimes site (which I have unswerving confidence in) the plot thickens!

Corresponding games at Eliz last year were (NW) 1959 (SA) 1990 (EA) 2130 - Total 6079

This year (NW) 2665 (EA) 2062 (SA) 1342 - Total 6069

2 points out of that.

1. Not sure where the 100 down like for like figues come from?
2. If memory serves, the Norwood game last year was televised which shows that attendences are significantly lower if live against the gate. Not sure the effect has been anywhere near that significant in years gone by?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby JK » Thu May 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Hazydog wrote:2. If memory serves, the Norwood game last year was televised which shows that attendences are significantly lower if live against the gate. Not sure the effect has been anywhere near that significant in years gone by?

12.10 Start too IIRC
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby PhilH » Thu May 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Don't have TOO much faith Hazydog ... I'm always capable of a typo or two.

It is all about what you are comparing the current crowd figures with.

- The average per game for the whole of 2014

or the average per game as at the same point of the season in 2014

Usually crowd averages drop as the year progresses.

For mine over the whole SANFL I have recorded .....

After Round 7 this year the 32 games played averaged 2,630 each

After Round 7 last year the 35 games played average 3,353 each

For mine that is a drop of about 723 per game or 21.6%

(This includes a crowd of 1,323 for the postponed South v Adelaide game)

723 x 32 = aprox 23,000 short

- You could say half of that was due to the ANZAC Day wash out
Last years Nwd v NA & Glen v Crows games attracting a total of 19,313
This years PA v Nwd & Glen v Crows games 7,657
Different .... 11,656

- As for the other 11,500 I think it is a combination of the following
- Later start of the season (April 12 for some clubs)
- Poorer weather
- Crows novelty factor gone (eg Rd 1 2014 v North 4,015 compared with Rd 1 2015 v North 2,465)
- Dwindling media coverage (axing of Sunday FIVEaa SANFL show an example)
- Drop off in support from traditional supporters.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:31 pm

any danger of someone being able to show these figures to the SANFL with someone who is able to not see through the AFL coloured glasses???
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11874 times
Been liked: 3609 times

Postby CENTURION » Thu May 14, 2015 5:54 pm

And people laughed when I made Eric.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Central District, an SANFL powerhouse before the AFL reserves debate ended with the State league’s refit to a 10-team competition last season, has called for the Crows and Power sides to be axed. The Bulldogs want an uncompromised SANFL with no AFL content.

That call rests with the SA Football Commission that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season"

Not according to the SANFL constitution it doesn't.

The SANFL commission has no authority when adding or expelling a team from the SANFL.

Its up to the league directors purely.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 5:57 pm

CENTURION wrote:And people laughed when I made Eric.

Bring him to unley Sunday.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 14, 2015 5:59 pm

UK Fan wrote:"That call rests with the SA Football Commission[/u][/b] that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season"

Does that mean they're not removable unless they breach terms of the agreement?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 6:03 pm

JK wrote:
UK Fan wrote:"That call rests with the SA Football Commission[/u][/b] that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season"

I dont believe its the terms that are up for review.

I believe the whole concept is up for review annually

Otherwise why would Kris say he wants them out ???

More shotty journalism IMHO!!!!

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 14, 2015 6:05 pm

UK Fan wrote:
JK wrote:

I dont believe its the terms that are up for review.

I believe the whole concept is up for review annually

Otherwise why would Kris say he wants them out ???

More shotty journalism IMHO!!!!

Makes it so hard to tell, the SANFL has never been clear about the T&C's of their entry and participation in the comp - Im sure its just an accidental oversight on their behalf. If KG senses there's an opportunity to give them the flick I hope other club presidents have been in discussion with him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 pm

JK wrote:
Hazydog wrote:2. If memory serves, the Norwood game last year was televised which shows that attendences are significantly lower if live against the gate. Not sure the effect has been anywhere near that significant in years gone by?

12.10 Start too IIRC

Reckon you are right. So televised games with earlier start times bad news for Centrals it seems.

So if you are in their shoes do you make it clear you don't want to be televised if it means an earlier start or are the benefits of TV exposure more important?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Perhaps the website activity is up because people aren't going, but are still interested enough to look at the scores, bit like Dogwatcher's Sheffield Shield analogy on the other thread.

There also seems to be some poor scheduling this year which seems to be controlled by Channel 7. Centrals v West on the same day as the Showdown, so they could show on telly, presumably because they couldn't show any other AFL games in that timeslot, but could the previous day (Geelong v Richmond). Similarly last week, couldn't show a Saturday arvo AFL game because the Crows and Suns twilight game, so program an SANFL game earlier.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby JK » Thu May 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Hazydog wrote:
JK wrote:

12.10 Start too IIRC

Reckon you are right. So televised games with earlier start times bad news for Centrals it seems.

So if you are in their shoes do you make it clear you don't want to be televised if it means an earlier start or are the benefits of TV exposure more important?

Good question mate, would probably need to canvass the sponsors to see what lack of TV coverage/exposure would do to their deals.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Thu May 14, 2015 7:45 pm

I don't know any myself but do anyone know any current players in the SANFL and have asked their views on this situation.

Does the players in the local league have an union and if so, do they have position?
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Fluffbag wrote:I don't know any myself but do anyone know any current players in the SANFL and have asked their views on this situation.

Does the players in the local league have an union and if so, do they have position?

Believe they have no union.....once a South Adelaide player tried but failed.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby saintal » Thu May 14, 2015 8:39 pm

heater31 wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:I don't know any myself but do anyone know any current players in the SANFL and have asked their views on this situation.

Ian Prendergast, who I believe is involved in the AFL players union now. Prendergast only had the one year I think with South before heading back over the border. Would still have nightmares about Brant Chambers.

Most players I've heard when asked about it (moreso in 2013/14) just comment that they want to play against the best etc, so seem fairly apathetic about it all. In the media anyway, behind closed doors possible different feelings.

An exception was Suckling from Norwood, who having played in the VFL, highlighted the pitfalls of AFL inclusion and the long term effects.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 pm

heater31 wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:.....once a South Adelaide player tried but failed.

Hehe
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Been liked: 54 times

Postby Fluffbag » Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 pm

heater31 wrote:

If they being asked to compete against full time players then they should be given a say in the future as they are the ones who are mostly impacted with this matter.

Maybe have the clubs vote on this but let the players have veto power so if the clubs vote yes but 70% (or some other agree percentage) of players (not crows and port) vote no then it is a NO

Have to be a secret ballot but the flaws in this idea is that players could or probably will get pressured by the clubs to vote but if it was a fair vote then I think most people can live with it.

We voted for worse and had to deal with it (ie Abbott and Pines and Howard and Frasier and .....)
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:38 pm

saintal wrote:
Most players I've heard when asked about it (moreso in 2013/14) just comment that they want to play against the best etc, so seem fairly apathetic about it all. In the media anyway, behind closed doors possible different feelings.

An exception was Suckling from Norwood, who having played in the VFL, highlighted the pitfalls of AFL inclusion and the long term effects.

all well and good when they beat the 'Pros' but what about when they get smacked off the park by 60 plus????
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL