The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby therisingblues » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cya Rammy. :)

So, now that he is gone, are you able to reveal to us if he was a poster under a different username, ie, Trevorhill, dogman or another golden troll from yesteryear?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:51 pm

therisingblues wrote:

So, now that he is gone, are you able to reveal to us if he was a poster under a different username, ie, Trevorhill, dogman or another golden troll from yesteryear?

Oh I miss dogman.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:14 pm

therisingblues wrote:

None that I was aware of, I think he was just special especially when he threatened me with legal action, what a silly sausage.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2055 times
Been liked: 3906 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

None that I was aware of, I think he was just special especially when he threatened me with legal action, what a silly sausage.

Wasnt aware James Hird posted on here :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 pm

All the stats that have been posted here recently just made it onto the Nine news. The crows listed player numbers and wins/losses and the crowd figures, Crows down 49% and Port 30% i think it was since last year.
They said the AFL has put a national reserves comp on the agenda and that the SANFL clubs fear losing the AFL clubs from the comp but didnt actually talk to anyone or get quotes from any SANFL clubs, just Stephen Rowe
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby saintal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:All the stats that have been posted here recently just made it onto the Nine news. The crows listed player numbers and wins/losses and the crowd figures, Crows down 49% and Port 30% i think it was since last year.
They said the AFL has put a national reserves comp on the agenda and that the SANFL clubs fear losing the AFL clubs from the comp but didnt actually talk to anyone or get quotes from any SANFL clubs, just Stephen Rowe

I wonder how they made that deduction.

Should have spoken to Jake Parkinson.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 430 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 pm

pity I missed that.

The SANFL clubs will probably miss the $50k or whatever pittance they get from the Crows and actually have to get out and promote themselves more in their zones/local communities/primary schools etc
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11883 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby LPH » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Birds coming home to roost, then?
Too little, too late :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:35 pm

saintal wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:All the stats that have been posted here recently just made it onto the Nine news. The crows listed player numbers and wins/losses and the crowd figures, Crows down 49% and Port 30% i think it was since last year.

Actually i think they did, or ran some quotes from him, will do a review at the end of the season to investigate why crowds have fallen.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:39 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
saintal wrote:

Actually i think they did, or ran some quotes from him, will do a review at the end of the season to investigate why crowds have fallen.

Hopefully they continue to fall away so they are left with no option
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:44 pm

They dont need an investigation to look past here and Facebook for the reasons
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11883 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:45 pm

CENTURION wrote:
RB wrote:Loving having you back, Roman.

It's amazing, having a bottle of scotch, dropping pingas & listening to The Doors, it really is inspiring!

Hippy.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 pm

stan wrote:Oh I miss dogman.

Doqman was better.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:pity I missed that.

The SANFL clubs will probably miss the $50k or whatever pittance they get from the Crows and actually have to get out and promote themselves more in their zones/local communities/primary schools etc

Local community sporting club trying to strengthen ties with the area / neighbourhood they're in?

Pretty sure it'll never catch on, SANFL clubs are big and important you know. They play against AFL guys.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby stan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 am

Well the SA media is looking for an unbiased balanced opinion so I would be shocked if they didnt talk to him first lol [emoji57]
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 am

holden78 wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
tipper wrote:lol, insults from Ramrod, does that make me internet famous?

No doesnt make you famous at all. Just lets everyone know you are a tool.

Listen here mate, we've been banging away for years to become forum bad boys and your just taking it all away.... :twisted:

Lol that's probably the best post you've ever made
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:59 am

CENTURION wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
CENTURION wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
Some of your former players are probably in there :)

I didn't know there was a legends jail out there!

There's not, I was wrong, the prison out there is only minimum security. Your lads are probably in Yattla.

No, that's the Roosters, they have a glory hole up to the Grand North fence!

Woah steady on there Spartacus. No need to bring a north into it
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 am

therisingblues wrote:

he'll be back
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:31 pm

2 questions

Do most people on this forum favour the old way, ie afl players playing for SANFL clubs or no AFL players at all, ( ie they go and play in a reserve comp)

Let say the clubs leave, are the right people running the league now and can they develop the right business model to make the league viable especially in the current economic environment. If not, can they entice the right people, ie how much money they can pay.

I remember standing around at quarter time down at Noarlunga and we was asking who is going to replace us when we either get too old or die off. What is the selling point to make under 25s choose the SANFL over the AFL. I am single and have a good paying job that allows me the time and money to go to both leagues but others can't afford it so they have to choose.

As a South and Crows member, I would vote for the crows to leave to a reserve AFL competition but also would need to know what the SANFL will do to keep them going independantly and not to end up like the teams in the SAFA. In the back of my mind, I keep on thinking the league will turn into an under 18 comp, run by the AFL but I hope I am wrong.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby LPH » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 pm

The damage has been done now, I don't see much of a way back.
Pre-2013 we had a viable alternative to the AFL but some Clubs were financial basket cases, perhaps most.

Short Term?
Personally, I think the answer lies with the 8 Clubs forming a 'Premier League' & aligning with the Ammos - having Promotion/Relegation.
The fact that they can't attract or keep players due to Country Clubs paying good wages & not expecting as much of a training night commitment, continues to be a problem. Let's face it, to play SANFL you are expected to train 3 or 4 times per week (recovery sessions included) - that commitment is too great for many - particularly those players no longer aspiring to AFL.

The Clubs thought (wrongly IMHO) that the 'easy cash' from the AFL Clubs was the answer.
It wasn't.
The problem they have made for themselves is that Membership money has diminished significantly, as (I assume) has Sponsorship money, Gate takings & Bar/Food/Beverage. To make it more affordable for people to go to the SANFL, they need to cut Admissions & Costs - going Semi-Ammo instead of Semi-Pro, may well allow this to occur. Under 25s will probably want to play for the 8 Clubs (in general) above playing for other Ammo Clubs because of facilities, etc. Younger Country Zoned Players will still have the pathway to AFL via the SANFL Club, even in "Div 1" - say a Club were relegated, that would give a greater opportunity to play/develop kids.

Long Term?
The key for the Clubs in making money, may well lie in the Academy type set up - similar to Europe.
The AFL Draft makes that difficult at present but who is to say that won't change at some point?
Having % payments made to the Clubs that develop the elite kids, allows Clubs to survive throughout Europe.
On-Sell Clauses, Transfer Fees, etc.

I would like to see the AFL brought in on the discussion.
This idea could save the SANFL, WAFL & VFL competitions - for the betterment of the Game.
Yes, it will become a predominantly Under 23s Competition, but the better 'older players' might go & play for say Goody Saints & play in the same competition level.
Granted its unlikely because the AFL doesn't want any competitor but, they have to recognise that THEIR competition too is under threat.
The 'player drain' is significant, even @ the elite level.

Alternatively, I can see a 6 team 'Mickey Mouse' competition with further mergers & no soul.
Northern Dogs, Southern Tigers, Western Warriors, Eastern Blues, Port Reserves, Adelaide Reserves.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL