The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dogs72 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:12 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Just heard Gotch on the radio.
He loves the Crows reserves in the comp.
Good luck South on weekend,you will need it!
Crows by 10 goals I reckon.

Suprising given the power knocked south out in 2014, denying them the opportunity to contest for their first flag since 1964. Wonder what their supporters think/thought.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby dogbreath » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Sadly Gotchy's another turn coat. Just like Tripodi and crew.

Only Lairdy & Kris Grant left with the guts to speak up against the cancer.
I see Roy received a fine for his remarks, they claim "he brought the game into disrepute'.
What a joke !
Talk about censorship.

Anybody know how much the fine was ?
dogbreath

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Centrals is the white knight of the league.
What is the future of all the other clubs?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 pm

dogbreath wrote:Sadly Gotchy's another turn coat. Just like Tripodi and crew.

I see Roy received a fine for his remarks, they claim "he brought the game into disrepute'.
What a joke !
Talk about censorship.

To be fair to Gotchy he was employed by South Adelaide after the vote and Adelaide had already been given permission to join the league.

So prob a bit harsh to call him a turn coat as he was never part of the debate.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby southee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Panther Pack wrote:

What a joke !
Talk about censorship.

To be fair to Gotchy he was employed by South Adelaide after the vote and Adelaide had already been given permission to join the league.

PP, summed it up. Gotchy was not there at the time of the vote. He is was not the one who makes the decision to vote YES or NO.

The members were asked at the time if they wanted the AFL teams into the SANFL. The club listened and they voted NO.

South are a club that actually listened to their members which sadly other clubs decided not too.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:43 pm

southee wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:

What a joke !
Talk about censorship.

PP, summed it up. Gotchy was not there at the time of the vote. He is was not the one who makes the decision to vote YES or NO.

The members were asked at the time if they wanted the AFL teams into the SANFL. The club listened and they voted NO.

South are a club that actually listened to their members which sadly other clubs decided not too.

I think if you listened to the interview you would also have heard Brad Gotch qualify his remarks with his disappointment that the crows at sanfl level have very few supporters for a club that boasts 60,000 members, and hinting that the AFL reserves sides should be limited to 14-15 listed players.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby saintal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Dogs72 wrote:

Suprising given the power knocked south out in 2014, denying them the opportunity to contest for their first flag since 1964. Wonder what their supporters think/thought.

Some South Adelaide content in the media this week- Strike me Pink! :shock:

Whilst I dont agree with Gotchy on this subject, like everybody else he's entitled to his opinion. He did raise the idea of capping the number of AFL players- as they do in the VFL. Certainly the club's director, Peter Alexander, was very clear on his thoughts on the matter back in 2013. The club hasn't rocked the boat since, at least not publicly. The club's chairman has stated a few times in communication to members that the club respects the vote and is trying to make the best out of the arrangement.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 pm

Personally I think the capping idea would just make the situation even more mickey mouse.

Could you imagine if the Crows AFL side won this week that they wouldn't put in a request to have all their players who didn't play AFL to play a final for the Crows reserves because of their AFL interest.

Absolutely no doubt the SANFL would bend allow the 'special request' because of the circumstances.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5599 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:57 pm

saintal wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:

Some South Adelaide content in the media this week- Strike me Pink! :shock:

Whilst I dont agree with Gotchy on this subject, like everybody else he's entitled to his opinion. He did raise the idea of capping the number of AFL players- as they do in the VFL. Certainly the club's director, Peter Alexander, was very clear on his thoughts on the matter back in 2013. The club hasn't rocked the boat since, at least not publicly. The club's chairman has stated a few times in communication to members that the club respects the vote and is trying to make the best out of the arrangement.

They don't cap in the VFL anymore, was voted out about 4-5 years ago once the comp became 80% AFL reserve sides
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Ok, cheers Jim.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby holden78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:12 am

More Candy Ravens showed up for their Ego trip down the Bay oval than at Adelaide oval!
Someone needs to ask how many paid to get in Saturday, coz that's a great indication of what the Ravens really bring to the League!??
I bet it wasn't passed three figures, no way, ( Candy followers I'm refering to! )
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby holden78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:12 am

More Candy Ravens showed up for their Ego trip down the Bay oval than at Adelaide oval!
Someone needs to ask how many paid to get in Saturday, coz that's a great indication of what the Ravens really bring to the League!??
I bet it wasn't passed three figures, no way, ( Candy followers I'm refering to! )
holden78
League - Best 21

Postby holden78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 am

holden78
League - Best 21

Postby holden78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 am

holden78
League - Best 21

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 am

Interesting to see Ruccuito's piece in today's Advertiser talking up why the Crows reserves are good for the league. Curious as to why a Crows board member felt the need to use its key propaganda agent to push its agenda at this time of the year, when surely from a Crows' point of view it is axiomatic that the reserves are a great idea? Conversely, why would the Advertiser want to publish a story on this when it could fill the paper with oodles of pre-elimination final material?

Perhaps the rumblings and meetings in the last week or so have some people worried? Maybe, but probably unlikely. The more plausible explanation is that the airing of views contrary to the interests of the most important sporting franchise in this state really irks the powers that be, and they feel the need to silence any criticism. Be thankful it's only footy and not politics.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby LPH » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 am

"Don't mention the War! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it."
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:59 am

Magellan wrote:Interesting to see Ruccuito's piece in today's Advertiser talking up why the Crows reserves are good for the league. Curious as to why a Crows board member felt the need to use its key propaganda agent to push its agenda at this time of the year, when surely from a Crows' point of view it is axiomatic that the reserves are a great idea? Conversely, why would the Advertiser want to publish a story on this when it could fill the paper with oodles of pre-elimination final material?

Perhaps the rumblings and meetings in the last week or so have some people worried? Maybe, but probably unlikely. The more plausible explanation is that the airing of views contrary to the interests of the most important sporting franchise in this state really irks the powers that be, and they feel the need to silence any criticism. Be thankful it's only footy and not politics.

One who has a clear agenda to do what he sees as best for the Adelaide Football Club, it's his first and most important interest.

Whilst board positions are honorary and not paid and people clearly need to make a living it's very hard for someone to juggle board and club allegiance with unbiased media commentary, even the brightest of people attempting to do this struggle.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7503 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:Interesting to see Ruccuito's piece in today's Advertiser talking up why the Crows reserves are good for the league. Curious as to why a Crows board member felt the need to use its key propaganda agent to push its agenda at this time of the year, when surely from a Crows' point of view it is axiomatic that the reserves are a great idea? Conversely, why would the Advertiser want to publish a story on this when it could fill the paper with oodles of pre-elimination final material?

One who has a clear agenda to do what he sees as best for the Adelaide Football Club, it's his first and most important interest.

Whilst board positions are honorary and not paid and people clearly need to make a living it's very hard for someone to juggle board and club allegiance with unbiased media commentary, even the brightest of people attempting to do this struggle.

Does Riccuito have a regular column in the Advertiser? I don't read it enough to know.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:21 am

I am curious as to what he could have possibly written that would show the Ravens as being beneficial to the SANFL.
Was it the usual media hits, selective attendance referencing (the Tex anomaly), and supposedly greater media exposure?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:32 am

Here it is, from behind the Great Paywall of Murdoch. Make of it what you will. I'll say this, though: for all his spruiking, I wonder if he went on the weekend, or if he'll go this Sunday?

A SIDE has hardly dominated a competition when, over a three-year period, it has a win-loss record of 27-27 and one draw ... has it?

Adelaide’s SANFL side finished eighth in 2014, seventh in 2015 and this year fourth at the end of the home and away season.

On the weekend the SANFL Crows played in their first final in three years and happened to play their best game for the year. As a result, they won.
If they played like they had the game prior they would have been knocked out in the elimination final. It’s not exactly the form line of a Hawthorn is it?

The Crows played Central District in the final — a side that had not only beaten them twice this year but beat them by a record 55 points in Round 13.
Central had every reason to be confident going into the game.

Unfortunately, coach Roy Laird chose to publicly focus on the SANFL’s decision to “bend over” to allow Cameron Ellis-Yolmen to play instead.

CEY had played 16 SANFL games this year and only two AFL games — one a result of Rory Sloane’s suspension a week prior. The Crows could have played Sloane and Brodie Smith on the weekend but didn’t.

I’m not sure what Roy tried to achieve by this but it came across poorly and the SANFL felt the need to fine him as a result.

I would highly doubt that his comments had a positive impact on his players. In fact I would say there is every chance it had a negative effect.
Just for the record, the Crows had 10 players 21 years old and younger. Eleven of them had no AFL experience at all. Six had played 20 AFL games or less and only five had played an AFL game this year.

Three others were ‘top up’ players who have only played a handful of SANFL games between them.

The Crows are having their best year in the SANFL, winning twelve games and losing, seven so hardly dominating.

The AFL team has had the least amount of injuries of any side in the competition and as a result has a strong team in the SANFL.

It’s no different to any other SANFL side having an injury-free year. When you do, your team goes well. When you don’t, they don’t play so well.
South Adelaide, unfortunately, has injuries to several of its best players this week ... is that the Crows’ fault? I don’t think so.

South has beaten the Crows twice this year like Central had. South won by 38 points against the Crows only 10 days ago. Surely they won’t have the same negative attitude as Central did.

Like Central, both of those wins were at their home ground because of the fact that every Crows match in the home and away season is an away game.

Finals, however, are played at Adelaide Oval, which is where they should be. Surely that’s where the players would want to be as well?
Even in the AFL the finals are compromised slightly. Take Geelong finishing above Hawthorn but having to “host” their final at the Hawks’ home ground the MCG on Friday night.

Whether Central or other clubs agree with the Crows and Port being in the SANFL, surely it’s time to move on isn’t it?

The SANFL made the decision and the clubs have to get on with the job. The SANFL would have thought long and hard about this decision given that it was clear that some clubs were against it.

The SANFL bosses must have thought it was in the competition’s best interest to have the AFL clubs in, otherwise they wouldn’t be.
The Crows pay each SANFL club $50,000 a year, so $400,000 total annually, just to play in the competition. That’s big money for the clubs and big money for Adelaide. Could the SANFL clubs do without it?

Isn’t it better having 10 teams and not nine?

’m sure the players from the other eight sides love shaping up against the AFL teams to test themselves out.

I remember my dad picking me up from school early so I come down and play for Westies on Norwood’s Garry McIntosh as a 16-year-old. I was extremely nervous but also very excited about the challenge and I am still here to tell the story.

Like it or not, the SANFL has been on the decline since the Crows came in back in 1991. Just like every state-based league since the VFL turned national and became the AFL.

Crowds have been falling away since then. The Crows predicted bigger crowds but they unfortunately haven’t come. Channel 7, however, is very happy with the television numbers when they broadcast their game of the week.

On the weekend they had an audience of about 100,000 viewers over the two games.

It is crucial that the two AFL sides have reserves teams. To have them train and play together with the same coaches and gamestyle is a big winner.

It is also important for the SANFL itself that the AFL sides perform well, given that proceeds from AFL crowds flow through to the SANFL coffers.

But back to the SANFL finals — the rules are set, the Crows and Port are in the competition.

Let’s not get emotional about one week of footy, let’s enjoy the SANFL finals for what they are.

Great footy at one of the best stadiums in the world with spring weather to top it off.

If the Crows beat South Adelaide then good luck to them. If they lose, they’re out and congratulations to South.

Let’s not focus on whether they should be there or not, three years after the decision was made.
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL