I HATE IT WHEN THE MEDIA GET IT WRONG...

All discussions to do with the SANFL

I HATE IT WHEN THE MEDIA GET IT WRONG...

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am

I cant stand it when the media don't do their job properly, they get paid the big bucks and every week they put pictures of players in the paper then underneath they list this player as someone they ARE NOT, they can't get it right, it frustrates me and has done so for many years...
If they aren't getting names wrong, they report things incorrectly or miss obvious stuff. It just seems they don't do the research properly or more likely, not even at all...

I'm going keep this topic updated throughout the year and then forward it on to the Advertiser, Messenger etc so they can see their mistakes. The first one is probably one of the best...

1. The Advertiser - Thursday March 20 2008 (page 62 & 63) :

Great 2 page spread about the Port Power Westhoff brothers, JUSTIN & MATTHEW.
Page 62 is supposed to be a picture of Justin (as per the caption underneath) and page 63, one of Matthew showing a good pair of hands. Take a closer look at page 62, the bloody picture is of Matty, however, the caption says Justin !! ? You can clearly see Matthew in both pictures. Surely the editor can spot this mistake before it goes to print ? (there is even a little picture of the 2 of them in the bottom left hand corner of page 63 and you can clearly see facial differences !!?)

Yes they are both similar in stature but they are definatlry not twins and they have two very different faces.

2. The Advertiser (this week) SANFL Team Photo Lift Outs :

They started with Centrals (obviously, in Premiership order ?) and the photo has a little inset with numbers behind the shadows of the players saying who they are.. There was a mistake with the Centrals one Tuesday and then there is another blue on the Woodville West Torrens one today:

Centrals - They have Luke BARMBY listed as Luke BARANBY ??? - Get it right !

Eagles - Former West Adelaide player Nick MALINOVSKI is listed as Nick MCINTOSH ?? - What the ???
(Was it too hard to spell, come on Advertiser lift your game, is he any relation to Gary !!? )

I couldn't see any errors in the North Adelaide one yesterday, so let's wait and see what happens with the rest of the teams still to come.
Now onto my beef with the local rag (Messenger, Eastern Courier etc..)

3. Eastern Courier (and other Messengers ?) Wednesday March 26 2008 - Page 47 :

There is a really good article on the Gowans boys and Sladey, being the only players to play in ALL 6 Premierships. This leads into a season review of ins & outs, young guns, Oldies etc, etc...

The first minor thing I noticed was they didn't have Kane Officer as an IN for us, not a huge issue.

Then bottom right hand corner they show Woodville West Torrens preview. They have listed new recruits from South Adelaide Jarrad Wright & Nathan Twomey as coming from Woodville West Torrens ( ? ), then they do the same for Paul Couch's son Tom who was actually recruited from Geelong ???

The article was done by Reece Homfray and I'm not sure who was in charge of the Team Photo lift outs at the Advertiser (probably that annoyinh Rucci !!?) but come on guys, lift your game, a bit of editing prowess will go a long way. I can see I'm going to have a big collation by years end !!!

GO U DOGGIES...

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: I HATE IT WHEN THE MEDIA GET IT WRONG...

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 am

Big Phil wrote: They get paid the big bucks

There's your first error ;)

But I do look forward to seeing what you find for the rest of the season.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby drebin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:42 am

In the 'tiser North poster it listed Toby Stribling as Tony Stribling but having said that even the NAFC made the same mistake when handing out his player sponsor photo last year. :roll:
drebin

Postby Macca19 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 am

I liked how in the SANFL liftout, they had Josh Thurgood as Ports 'gun recruit' but couldnt find a place for him in Ports 'best lineup'.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm on my high horse again !!! :lol:

With news of Anzac Day's game relocation to Adelaide Oval, it reminded me of another entrance for my ongoing "whinge" forum !! :wink:

4. Channel 10 News - Sports Coverage by Mark Aiston - Wednesday 26th March 2008

Although it doesn't happen as often as it should, it was good to see the TV press cover the SANFL. They were showing footage from Distinctive Home's Dome where the SANFL had their season launch for 2008. It was a good story and they interviewed Lairdy briefly, showed some footage of Thommo in his camo's tracking through the little obstacle course they set up. They also used some snippets from last years GF which bought back good memories. All in all, it was a pretty good story... =D>

That's not my beef though... ](*,)

Mark Aiston started the story by saying, and I quote:

Channel 10 Sports Reporter, Mark Aiston wrote:"Now let's move onto the SANFL finals"

Finals, it's not even Rnd 1 yet !!! ?? ](*,)

It annoys me when they can't get things right. I know it's not Aiston's fault, he is just reading off the teleprompter but who ever put it on there should have EDITED properly it before hand ? :-s

I wonder how long before my next addition to the list, that's three in one day alone. I reckon I'm gonna be in for a long year, unless the all of the MEDIA lift their game soon !!! :-k

GO U DOGGIES... :D :D :D

Big Phil...
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Big Phil wrote: They get paid the big bucks

There's your first error ;)

But I do look forward to seeing what you find for the rest of the season.

I'd say they'd be on at least the "average" wage, if not more - have to be at least $50K. :-s
I'm happy to be proved wrong however... :yawinkle:

Regardless of what they get paid, they are getting paid to do a certain job and do it properly... ](*,)

As per my examples to date, and along with plenty more to come, no doubt, they don't do it thoroughly enough... [-X

Just My Opinion though... 8-[

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Rushby Hinds » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 pm

And for all the journalists, please note that Big Phil is a Central's fan.

Please feel free to wax lyrical about more appreciative clubs.
He's still my hero even if he is a little bit crap.
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Now don't pretend you've never had a crack at the media Rushby!
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm

How about a bouquet though for the quality lift out in yesterday's Tiser. A great look at the clubs and the season ahead (albeit with a few little mistakes ;) ).
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby wycbloods » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:14 pm

With the liftout yesterday why is it that some clubs had the Crows and Power players listed as ins and in the "best 21" and some didn't surely a little consitency would not hurt.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:19 pm

An email I just fired off to the 'tiser:

I thought you'd might like to know that after returning to Adelaide 6 months ago, yesterday was the first time I brought a weekday Advertiser becasue of the SANFL wrap in it. Tomorrow I will be buying a 'tiser or three to get my Glenelg poster (extra copies may be brought for my kids).

Don't ask me what crows or power rubbish you had in there because I didn't read it.

Please, please, please publish more SANFL stories, the growth in the electronic media (SAFooty.com and FootySA.net) shows how much of a market and interest there is here in SA for the SANFL.

GIVE US MORE SANFL!!!

and go the Bays!!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm

wycbloods wrote:With the liftout yesterday why is it that some clubs had the Crows and Power players listed as ins and in the "best 21" and some didn't surely a little consitency would not hurt.

That might depend on the impact those players are due to have at the club, and whether they'll play league or ressies when they do play for their SANFL club.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby smac » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:An email I just fired off to the 'tiser:

I thought you'd might like to know that after returning to Adelaide 6 months ago, yesterday was the first time I brought a weekday Advertiser becasue of the SANFL wrap in it. Tomorrow I will be buying a 'tiser or three to get my Glenelg poster (extra copies may be brought for my kids).

Don't ask me what crows or power rubbish you had in there because I didn't read it.

Please, please, please publish more SANFL stories, the growth in the electronic media (SAFooty.com and FootySA.net) shows how much of a market and interest there is here in SA for the SANFL.

GIVE US MORE SANFL!!!

and go the Bays!!!!

I hope they don't use those to try and find anything of interest tas...
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:55 pm

This weeks Messenger, on the front page with an article on West and the Eagles, "Full SANFL Preview Page 55", when you go to P55, a small preview on Centrals, West and the Eagles, and below them the note, "Visit messengernews.com.au for every clubs preview"

Full preview my Ar............ :roll:
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Thiele » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

on Local footy which is a video from the advertister they tommorrows night game starting @ 2pm
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby Rushby Hinds » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Thiele wrote:on Local footy which is a video from the advertister they tommorrows night game starting @ 2pm

What?

Glad that you don't work in the Media Thiele....
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Rushby Hinds wrote:And for all the journalists, please note that Big Phil is a Central's fan.

Please feel free to wax lyrical about more appreciative clubs.

It doesn't matter who I am a fan of Rushby...

They get it wrong with ALL teams, I'm not complaining about the quantity (to a degree, another issue) of coverage, it's the quality

I found it intreresting that your avatar is of a bulldog emblem (Western Buldogs ?) but your a Bays supporter ? Where's your Tiger ?!!

Good luck to your boys on the weekend, hope you pump the Panthers... Is Bodey going to be playing ?

GO U DOGGIES...

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby CENTURION » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 pm

[quote="Big Phil"]I cant stand it when the media don't do their job properly, they get paid the big bucks and every week they put pictures of players in the paper then underneath they list this player as someone they ARE NOT, they can't get it right, it frustrates me and has done so for many years...
If they aren't getting names wrong, they report things incorrectly or miss obvious stuff. It just seems they don't do the research properly or more likely, not even at all...

I'm going keep this topic updated throughout the year and then forward it on to the Advertiser, Messenger etc so they can see their mistakes. The first one is probably one of the best...

1. The Advertiser - Thursday March 20 2008 (page 62 & 63) :

Great 2 page spread about the Port Power Westhoff brothers, JUSTIN & MATTHEW.
Page 62 is supposed to be a picture of Justin (as per the caption underneath) and page 63, one of Matthew showing a good pair of hands. Take a closer look at page 62, the bloody picture is of Matty, however, the caption says Justin !! ? You can clearly see Matthew in both pictures. Surely the editor can spot this mistake before it goes to print ? (there is even a little picture of the 2 of them in the bottom left hand corner of page 63 and you can clearly see facial differences !!?)

Yes they are both similar in stature but they are definatlry not twins and they have two very different faces.

2. The Advertiser (this week) SANFL Team Photo Lift Outs :

They started with Centrals (obviously, in Premiership order ?) and the photo has a little inset with numbers behind the shadows of the players saying who they are.. There was a mistake with the Centrals one Tuesday and then there is another blue on the Woodville West Torrens one today:

Centrals - They have Luke BARMBY listed as Luke BARANBY ??? - Get it right !

Eagles - Former West Adelaide player Nick MALINOVSKI is listed as Nick MCINTOSH ?? - What the ???
(Was it too hard to spell, come on Advertiser lift your game, is he any relation to Gary !!? )

Excuse me, his name is Garry McIntosh, isn't it?
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Excuse me, his name is Garry McIntosh, isn't it?

Sorry mate, wasn't exactly sure...

Probably should take some of my own advice shouldn't I ???!!!!

Big Phil...
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Rushby Hinds » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm

advice
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL