2009 Recruits to SANFL Clubs

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2009 Recruits to SANFL Clubs

Postby Punk Rooster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:55 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Looks like Curnow might have to be struck off the Ins list for North, Glenelg are allegedly asking 25k for him and he'd allegedly rather stay in Victoria than go back to Brighton Rd so looks like he'll be lost to the SANFL.

And Punky's list of reasons for burning the Glenelg FC has just had another item added to the "Pro's" column....

correct.

* the "cons" column is still empty...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby DOC » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:14 am

whatever wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Looks like Curnow might have to be struck off the Ins list for North, Glenelg are allegedly asking 25k for him and he'd allegedly rather stay in Victoria than go back to Brighton Rd so looks like he'll be lost to the SANFL.

if true

how the hell can a club ask for $25,000 for a player that they did not have playing league football.

another case of clubs being self centred.

Lets add a new rule, if a player wants to go to another club and you ask for x as a fee, then if the player decides to stay the said club should have to pay the player x as that is what they think he is worth.

ANOTHER POINT

How the hell can it be possible to stop someone gaining employment with a different employer. OR demanding that the employer charge a fee to a prospective employer.

I wish I could do this with my staff.

Some interesting points. My opinions in asked order are:

1. They can ask what they like ( he may have received monies up front etc or the the reality is he is a tradeable commodity)

2. All clubs are self centered . They do not exist for others to use them as a doormat.

3. Why not if a player asks for x and no one is willing to pay it then you can't play. Its a game that they should love and remember, it is the supporters that eventually pay. Please note: Supporters normally stay for LIFE. Players sometimes stay after their playing careers. Supporters are greatly undervalued at times.

4. Contract law and rules of association.

5. You can if it is lawful.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 751 times
Been liked: 2134 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 pm

DOC wrote:2. All clubs are self centered.

Just ask Cameron Staples.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Not going to start a thread titled "Recruits for 2010" would just be silly, but read in today's "Tiser Nick Fosdike, who retired from the AFL yesterday, has said he wouldn't mind having a year of footy at the Redlegs with good mate James Gallagher in 2010.

He is having time off to go to Europe with his wife this year and rest the body before coming back to Adelaide later in the year. Would be a pretty handy player in the SANFL I reckon, even if it is next season.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 am

Ryan Williams to Centrals fanatatic signing by the club. Here is an article on him . Some excellent quotes about the SANFL re: crowds and atmosphere.

FROM THE GEELONG ADVERTISER

Ryan Williams said it was highly likely he would return to Adelaide and play with SANFL powerhouse Central Districts if he slipped through the draft.

"I've been talking to VFL clubs and been training with Geelong VFL the last two weeks but I'm probably going to head back and start pre-season training with Centrals if I don't get picked up," he said.

"It's a strong competition (the SANFL). It draws big crowds, the atmosphere is amazing and obviously playing at Centrals is good. We've won seven of the last nine premierships and winning it this year was pretty exciting for me because it was my first flag."
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1206 times
Been liked: 507 times

Postby JK » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Excellent to hear a promising young lad speak so highly of our competition, great stuff!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby redandblack » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 pm

That would be a big plus for Centrals.

Big motor, very good player.
redandblack

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

UK Fan wrote:Ryan Williams to Centrals fanatatic signing by the club. Here is an article on him . Some excellent quotes about the SANFL re: crowds and atmosphere.

FROM THE GEELONG ADVERTISER

Ryan Williams said it was highly likely he would return to Adelaide and play with SANFL powerhouse Central Districts if he slipped through the draft.

"I've been talking to VFL clubs and been training with Geelong VFL the last two weeks but I'm probably going to head back and start pre-season training with Centrals if I don't get picked up," he said.

"It's a strong competition (the SANFL). It draws big crowds, the atmosphere is amazing and obviously playing at Centrals is good. We've won seven of the last nine premierships and winning it this year was pretty exciting for me because it was my first flag."

Has it been announced by the club that he has officially signed for 2009 ???

It's great that Ryan feels that way about our club and the SANFL but the article says "highly likely" to return to Adelaide and that he is "probably" going to come back and start pre season with the Dogs.

All I'm saying is don't count the chickens before they hatch but I did like the he was quoted as saying "We've won seven of the last nine premierships" it's good to see that an interstate AFL draftee that came into the SANFL system and had some success feels so much apart of the club and it's culture that he publicly acknowledges that.

I certainly hope like hell that Willow is in a Dogs jumper next year, I think he could potentially be a Magarey Medal winner if he maintains that form he showed later in the season and all through last years finals campaign.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:48 am

MEDIA RELEASE
Monday, 12th January 2009
MILLS & GRIMA SIGN WITH BAYS
Glenelg Football Club is pleased to announce former Brisbane Lion Wayde Mills along with
Alex Grima - ex-Hawk and younger brother of Glenelg’s 2008 leading goal kicker Todd - will
join the ranks of Glenelg Football Club’s Senior Squad for the upcoming 2009 season.
Wayde, the 21 year old former Lion played 16 games for Brisbane since his league debut in
2006 after being drafted from Southport in 2005. Wayde captained the under 18 Queensland
state team and was named in the All Australian under 18 squad in 2005. At 195cm and 94kg,
Wayde will bring a strong, aggressive and physical presence to the group.
“Wayde Mills is a welcome addition to the Glenelg Football Club playing Group” Senior Coach
Mark Mickan commented.
“He (Wayde) is still young, but he offers strong leadership qualities, highlighted by an
impressive work ethic” Mickan continued.
Alex Grima, youngest brother of Glenelg Football Clubs 2008 recruit and leading Goal-kicker
Todd will also join the 2009 senior squad. 19 year old Alex was recruited from Hawthorn
where he was Rookie listed in 2008. Originally from North Launceston, Tasmania at 183cm
and 83kg, Alex will bring skill and pace to the Club as a medium sized forward or defender.
“Still only 19, we are confident that Alex has a big upside and will develop into an important
player at Glenelg.” Mickan concluded.
Glenelg Football Club welcomes both Wayde and Alex to the senior squad in 2009.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

Postby Farbs » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:MEDIA RELEASE
Glenelg Football Club is pleased to announce former Brisbane Lion Wayde Mills along with
Alex Grima - ex-Hawk and younger brother of Glenelg’s 2008 leading goal kicker Todd - will
join the ranks of Glenelg Football Club’s Senior Squad for the upcoming 2009 season.
Wayde, the 21 year old former Lion played 16 games for Brisbane since his league debut in
2006 after being drafted from Southport in 2005. Wayde captained the under 18 Queensland
state team and was named in the All Australian under 18 squad in 2005. At 195cm and 94kg,
Wayde will bring a strong, aggressive and physical presence to the group.
“Wayde Mills is a welcome addition to the Glenelg Football Club playing Group” Senior Coach
Mark Mickan commented.
“He (Wayde) is still young, but he offers strong leadership qualities, highlighted by an
impressive work ethic” Mickan continued.
Alex Grima, youngest brother of Glenelg Football Clubs 2008 recruit and leading Goal-kicker
Todd will also join the 2009 senior squad. 19 year old Alex was recruited from Hawthorn
where he was Rookie listed in 2008. Originally from North Launceston, Tasmania at 183cm
and 83kg, Alex will bring skill and pace to the Club as a medium sized forward or defender.
“Still only 19, we are confident that Alex has a big upside and will develop into an important
player at Glenelg.” Mickan concluded.
Glenelg Football Club welcomes both Wayde and Alex to the senior squad in 2009.

Thats great news! Both sound like good players, 1 with AFL experience and lets hope Alex is as good as Todd!
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:55 am

beat me to it tas!

great news :D

Welcome to Brighton Road Wayde and Alex
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby LBT » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:55 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:MEDIA RELEASE

Hooray!! Quality not quantity.
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby wycbloods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:23 am

Having played cricket against the bays CEO(well until friday anyway) on Saturday he was pretty excited about Mills saying he will go a long way towards covering the losses of Sherwood and Rudolph.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby JK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 am

wycbloods wrote:Having played cricket against the bays CEO(well until friday anyway) on Saturday he was pretty excited about Mills saying he will go a long way towards covering the losses of Sherwood and Rudolph.

You would have to think he will, quality pickup
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby LBT » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am

Maybe Hollie Grima can come play for the Lightning too.
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Macca19 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Am happy to see Rhino stay at Central. Was real dissapointed we delisted him last year. Can definitely play and had a real good year at SANFL level.

Mills to Glenelg is a great signing for them.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby redandblack » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm

redandblack wrote:Glenelg may well be asking $25K for him, but if there's a dispute, the SANFL have an arbitration process to fix a fair transfer fee. The fee depends on experience, games played, etc.

In this case, I wouldn't think it would be set at anything like $25K.

I was wrong.

I've since been advised that $25K is the standard transfer fee for someone on an AFL list, such as in this case.
redandblack

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 am

The NT News is reporting that Charlie Sharples has withdrawn from the NT team to play in the QAFL and will line up for Sturt this year.

Michael Guigliotta will attempt to make the transition from part time South's junior player to full time South's senior player rather than play for the NT team
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

Postby Mickyj » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Michael Guigliotta will attempt to make the transition from part time South's junior player to full time South's senior player rather than play for the NT team

I was told that this morning TM .And I reported in this topic that Nathan Twomey was back at south .Told today he was for 1 training session and hasn't been back since.

Cheers
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby The Ash Man » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:09 am

Mickyj wrote:

I was told that this morning TM .And I reported in this topic that Nathan Twomey was back at south .Told today he was for 1 training session and hasn't been back since.

Cheers

How old would he be now?
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL