Nathan Bassett

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Nathan Bassett

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 am

JK wrote:
HH3 wrote:If he didn't sign it, it would be considered up for negotiation still. If he told them he'd sleep on it, they have every right to change it when he comes back to them.

LOL You'll go a long way in the business world :lol:

If two parties thrash out at the negotiation table and come up with a set of conditions and level of remuneration that is agreed upon, then the paperwork presented is significantly different, you consider that good business practice?

I'm no big city lawyer, but I don't think North would open themselves up to a potential lawsuit.

Obviously the deal wasn't actually done yet, and Bassetts just venting on the radio, possibly exaggerating things a bit.

Was there ANY paperwork actually presented?

Were the actual people authorised to finalise the deal present in the initial discussions?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

HH3 wrote:
JK wrote:
HH3 wrote:If he didn't sign it, it would be considered up for negotiation still. If he told them he'd sleep on it, they have every right to change it when he comes back to them.

LOL You'll go a long way in the business world :lol:

If two parties thrash out at the negotiation table and come up with a set of conditions and level of remuneration that is agreed upon, then the paperwork presented is significantly different, you consider that good business practice?

I'm no big city lawyer, but I don't think North would open themselves up to a potential lawsuit.

Obviously the deal wasn't actually done yet, and Bassetts just venting on the radio, possibly exaggerating things a bit.

Was there ANY paperwork actually presented?

Were the actual people authorised to finalise the deal present in the initial discussions?

There's nothing in what we've discussed that would open North up to a lawsuit - All parties verbally agreed on terms, then after they'd agreed North changed their offer. Probably sensible financial management from their perspective. Clearly from Bassett's side of things, it would be poor form.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:51 am

Fair enough. Someone else mentioned legal implications before.

From his perspective, it would seem like bad management. But if you look at it from Norths point of view, they stopped a budgeting error before it happened.

I dont know the details, but maybe it had to do with the other coach and support staff hirings over the last few days. They just ran out of footy department cash.

Having said that, it does seem like Bassett feels he is entitled, and maybe he should take what he can get to get his foot in the door of an AFL system. Word is he's being indecisive with Essendon.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

A verbal agreement can still be considered a contract ...

If the figures are true, then $150K is the very low end for an AFL assistant whilst $80K is an insult, and Bass would be getting more than that at Norwood.

I think the fella's a prick, but looks like he's quite within his rights on this one and good luck to him for sticking to his guns.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 am

dedja wrote:a verbal agreement can still be considered a contract ...

What if they say "this isnt a verbal agreement, but would you come here for $150,000?" ;)

But seriously, hypothetically, could North just say they never said that to him? How would he prove in court that the verbal agreement actually took place without a recording?

Trying to gain my Cert III in Legal Studies through SAFooty for free ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 am

Walsh, Tudor, Ling > Bassett

The Roos are the winners :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby smac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:20 am

Based on Ling's outstanding coaching record?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

His job is to assist the leadership group. Being a Premiership Captain, I think he's right for that job.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby smac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am

Can hardly say he's better than Bassett though, given they weren't competing for the same role.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am

I'd say Leigh Tudor was the one that got the role Bassett wanted.

Coached Geelongs VFL side to the 2007 Premiership and been an assistant at St Kilda and Sydney while both were playing in/winning Grand Finals.

Pretty good appointment I'd say.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:37 pm

I was saying the appointments they have made since rejecting Bassett have been outstanding. I was worried when both Bassett and Betts were linked to the Roos, thankfully neither ended up there
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:40 pm

HH3 wrote:I'd say Leigh Tudor was the one that got the role Bassett wanted.

Coached Geelongs VFL side to the 2007 Premiership and been an assistant at St Kilda and Sydney while both were playing in/winning Grand Finals.

Pretty good appointment I'd say.

Yep from everything you hear, Tudor has massive wraps on him by all and sundry. Good appointment by the Roos that one. (Have no doubt Bassett would have been too)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby SimonH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:45 pm

HH3 wrote:What if they say "this isnt a verbal agreement, but would you come here for $150,000?" ;)

But seriously, hypothetically, could North just say they never said that to him? How would he prove in court that the verbal agreement actually took place without a recording?

Trying to gain my Cert III in Legal Studies through SAFooty for free ;)
They could, and he could say the opposite, and the trial Judge would have to decide who s/he believed. (And would also have to decide whether, if he believed Bassett, it was just a statement by way of pre-contractual negotiation, never intended to be binding.) Documents are nice, but 'they've got no evidence of that' is a bit of a furphy, as 'evidence' includes oral evidence that the Court accepts as true!

That said, I'll pour cold water on your studies by saying that you never sue about employment in a (relatively) small industry like Aussie rules unless you accept that you're never going to work in the industry again. (Obviously the brief Hird and the Essendon doctor vs the AFL litigation is an exception, as they had a large and powerful footy club backing them.)

The other thing making it not worth doing so is: what's your loss? Suing for 'hurt feelings', 'damage to reputation' etc generally leads nowhere in a business environment, so your loss is just the difference between yr pay in the job you were offered and the job that you actually get for 2014. If we presume that the difference is tens of thousands, it ain't worth a case where the legal fees are going to be at least tens of thousands.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby RB » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm

SimonH wrote: 'evidence' includes oral evidence

Does it?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:50 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-11/b ... t-for-roos

The audio from the interview is in the link above, worth a listen even for the discussion about SANFL comp etc
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Pag » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I did hear somewhere that North were attempting to create a new role for Bassett using money from an AFL grant, but the AFL stepped in and said the cash was to be spent in a certain department and not another coach, hence North having to pull the offer.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Pag wrote:I did hear somewhere that North were attempting to create a new role for Bassett using money from an AFL grant, but the AFL stepped in and said the cash was to be spent in a certain department and not another coach, hence North having to pull the offer.

Yes, have heard similar.
And those figures bandied about are pretty close to mark I believe.
North reduced their initial offer by close to half.
No sensible person would uproot their family and go interstate for less than what he is currently on.
Essendon are still not the only club chasing him but im confident with the package reportedly offered that he will sign before end of next week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3562 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Pag wrote:I did hear somewhere that North were attempting to create a new role for Bassett using money from an AFL grant, but the AFL stepped in and said the cash was to be spent in a certain department and not another coach, hence North having to pull the offer.

Yes, have heard similar.
No sensible person would uproot their family and go interstate for less than what he is currently on.
Essendon are still not the only club chasing him but im confident with the package reportedly offered that he will sign before end of next week

Please dont let it be Hawthorn
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Nathan Bassett

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:45 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Yes, have heard similar.

Hawthorn is one of the 3 that are interested im led to believe, the other being West Coast but his wife isnt keen on the move West so they would have to offer a lot more to entice him.
Hawthorn and Essendon have both offered similar roles and packages, so it depends on if Bass wants to go to a successful club or try to turn Essendon into a successful club.
I can see it now Daisy, Bass the Hawks defensive coach with his good mate Schoenmakers the key defender
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3562 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Yes, have heard similar.

Hawthorn is one of the 3 that are interested im led to believe, the other being West Coast but his wife isnt keen on the move West so they would have to offer a lot more to entice him.
Hawthorn and Essendon have both offered similar roles and packages, so it depends on if Bass wants to go to a successful club or try to turn Essendon into a successful club.
I can see it now Daisy, Bass the Hawks defensive coach with his good mate Schoenmakers the key defender

We're not looking for a Box Hill coach
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL