National 2nd Tier Competiton Discussion

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: WAFL Premiers vs the SANFL Premiers

Postby bayman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:29 pm

hey jim i can see it now.....central replacing adelaide & the power getting replaced by the port magpies into the afl (& this would give eddie a lot of grief :lol: )....on face value it appears good but as mentioned we can not trust the afl if they are behind it
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Thats my point they have already rebranded nsw and qld. How long before we become SA AFL? Im telling you now that AFL would love 2x 20 team divisions. Sell the tv rights for 20 games/week, some midweek slots. Imagine the revenue of 3 or 4 games per week at Adelaide oval. Hey 30 years ago i never imagine my beloved bombers playing in Perth, Adelaide,Sydney, Brisbane etc. Trust me if profit is involved the Afl will be sniffing around. Cant trust them
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogmatic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:Thats my point they have already rebranded nsw and qld. How long before we become SA AFL? Im telling you now that AFL would love 2x 20 team divisions. Sell the tv rights for 20 games/week, some midweek slots. Imagine the revenue of 3 or 4 games per week at Adelaide oval. Hey 30 years ago i never imagine my beloved bombers playing in Perth, Adelaide,Sydney, Brisbane etc. Trust me if profit is involved the Afl will be sniffing around. Cant trust them

The AFL will squeeze the SANFL into submission. Did it with the U/18's and salary cap.
Get the best deal possible and take the money and run.
If that is what the AFL wants, it will happen.
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

AFL to sponsor a national title for State league clubs?

Postby Dogsbody » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Seeing as this hasn't been reported on via the usual channels like TV or papers, I'm wondering whether or not this is BS or not... but its an awesome concept!

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... -on-cards/

BTW... just saw the post in another thread. Still, I think this deserves discussion on its own thread.
ARRIVE... RAISE HELL... LEAVE.
Dogsbody
Under 18s

Re: AFL to sponsor a national title for State league clubs?

Postby bayman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 pm

i heard on the radio something about this & they said that it was going to be on the ch 7 news tonight
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Big Phil » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:57 pm

There was something on Channel 9 News about this but I only czught the end of it...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby csbowes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 pm

If the AFL over-expands, they'll go the same way as Super League and when the NRL had 22 teams.

It'll be the death of the league.

I already think the GC and GWS sides will push the AFL to being a lopsides, poorly performing league.

Without doubt, expansion is the best thing the FFA could have hoped for...
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby csbowes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:38 pm

As noted in the other thread, CH9 reported that the various state leagues met in Melbourne to discuss a knockout 16 team competition involving teams nationwide (excluding AFL). It would be broadcast by Fox.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby Zathrus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:25 am

While I think this could be fantastic, it also scares the hell out of me. So the top four clubs play in this new comp for more money, otherwise why play. Players have to get more match payments for playing. So a separate payment structure aside from our current salary cap. Couldn't expect players to play additional games outside the SANFL for the same pay

So the clubs that don't play miss out on additional funds. The strong get richer.

Recruits look for clubs to play more games, so look to teams playing in the new comp , get more pay and the strong teams get stronger.

I guess we play under AFL rules. Much more touchy, much less opportunity to get rid of the ball for example and other rules treated differently. Players playing under one set of rules one week and and another set the week after unless this forces the SANFL to toe the AFL line.

I'm glad the dogs are top four at this time because I can see this hurting the current lower teams and the SANFL badly in the long run
Last edited by Zathrus on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zathrus
Rookie

Postby zipzap » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:29 am

It's not exactly clear to me from that article whether the AFL is behind it or it's News Ltd Super League-style breakaway thing. The fact that Fox is driving it rather than AFL's commercial network partners makes me wonder whether this is the AFL's handiwork at all.

Sounds initially intriguing but there's something not quite kosher with this one. Seriously....Murdoch or Demetriou? Some choice...
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Zathrus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 am

I guess this would make a few clubs stronger. The SANFL would gain exposure and probably gain a bit more financial security as it should gain from the television rights along with the other state leagues.

In the end will it mean the SANFL relying on AFL handouts or funds from a competition it has no control over at all. It will put them and all other leagues more under the thumb of the AFL.

How does this affect someone like South Adelaide for example?
Zathrus
Rookie

Postby JamesH » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 am

This morning The Age published an article stating that an 8 team knock out cup could start as soon as next year. Details were that it will be televised on Foxtel, involve finalists from SA, WA and a team from Tasmania and ACT. It is intended to play games on Saturdays when the competing clubs have a bye. WAFL stated the AFL would have to meet all costs before the competition gets the go-ahead.
JamesH
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:25 am

Personally i dont think Central will part of any second compeition just my gut feeling though.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Zathrus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 am

whufc wrote:Personally i dont think Central will part of any second compeition just my gut feeling though.

If this is agreed to by the SANFL, I can't see how the doggies can't take part. I can't see them wanting to just stand by while Norwood, Eagles, Glenelg and Sturt (if it is 4 SANFL clubs) benefit from increased exposure and possible financial benefits that may arise.

As per my earlier post players and recruits may wish to play in this comp as it will only grow, and choose their teams accordingly. Centrals, the other clubs and the SANFL can't just stick their heads in the sand and hope it won't affect them.

Now whether the clubs always play the full strength team or not is another matter. But consider this, what has bigger bragging rights, a State Premiership or the title of a National League Premiership regardless of its humble beginnings. Who wouldn't want to be the first.

Forget any ideas of it being a divison two and promotion. That will never happen, the gulf is just too huge. This will for the time being be a connecting of all the states competitions.
Zathrus
Rookie

Postby Zathrus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 am

Scary thought, is this just the first step in setting up an AFL reserves competion ? Set up the comp and then try to match up with AFL clubs :shock: :shock:
Zathrus
Rookie

Postby whufc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 am

Zathrus wrote:
whufc wrote:Personally i dont think Central will part of any second compeition just my gut feeling though.

If this is agreed to by the SANFL, I can't see how the doggies can't take part. I can't see them wanting to just stand by while Norwood, Eagles, Glenelg and Sturt (if it is 4 SANFL clubs) benefit from increased exposure and possible financial benefits that may arise.

As per my earlier post players and recruits may wish to play in this comp as it will only grow, and choose their teams accordingly. Centrals, the other clubs and the SANFL can't just stick their heads in the sand and hope it won't affect them.

Now whether the clubs always play the full strength team or not is another matter. But consider this, what has bigger bragging rights, a State Premiership or the title of a National League Premiership regardless of its humble beginnings. Who wouldn't want to be the first

true but i could see the Dogs just playing ressies and under 18 players resting injury prone type players such as Havelberg, Callinan, Hayes etc etc. Will Foxtel want to run and finance the comp if sides are only playing a handful of league regulars.

Kris Grant has come out on numerous times and stated he is against premiers vs premiers type games, not because of the concept but purely the timing of such a game. He is said the CDFC is about winning SANFL premierships that is it. I cant see how this 'Foxtel Cup' would ease the timing part is Kris Grants mind.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Reddeer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Just another attempt to undermine the integrity of State competitions by the AFL, no doubt!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby PhilH » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:37 pm

IT IS OFFICIAL ... all be it at a proposal stage.

Here is the WAFL take

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/8138807/wafl-backs-state-leagues-knockout-comp/

Interestingly not one comment from anyone in SA as yet.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Jim05 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Dont think dogs will have much choice. If the AFL is backing it believe me it will happen. We are currently a feeder comp for the AFL and i think they will take us ovet completely eventually
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PhilH » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:42 pm

ITS NOT MADE UP ...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/8138807/wafl-backs-state-leagues-knockout-comp/

Interesting no comment from SA at the moment.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL