Surely tha SANFL is not wavering on new rule change

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Surely tha SANFL is not wavering on new rule change

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Why is it with Aussie Rules we believe it is the best game on earth yet there are consistently talks around rule changes all year round, the chatter comes from the AFL, the media, fans on forum etc etc

I find it strange because i go on alot of 'soccer' forums and you never get much chat around rule changes and that the fans are generally very happy with the way the game is played

*i know soccer is not everyones cup of tea and no one is going to convince one other to prefer the other sport etc etc but im just comparing the mentality of rules needing to be changed.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Maybe they should change some soccer rules,IMHO not enough goals are scored and too much staging for frees!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:40 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Maybe they should change some soccer rules,IMHO not enough goals are scored and too much staging for frees!

Im not talking about whether non fans like the rules im talking about how the media, the fans of the sport and governing body are constantly talking about rule changes in the sport.

TBH im not even talking about just soccer (i just follow soccer a lot closer) but even in other sports such as tennis, cricket, basketball there doesn't seem to be this constant need for rule changes (yes they occasionally have changes but it doesn't seem to be as constant)

Cricket is another sport where there seems to always be changes to the rules or attempts or talk about it.,
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Not sure what you're on about, there's been heaps of rule changes to all those sports you mentioned along with proposed changes and different formats especially basketball!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Wedgie wrote:Not sure what you're on about, there's been heaps of rule changes to all those sports you mentioned along with proposed changes and different formats especially basketball!

Fair enough, i cant think of to many in the last 10 years of soccer, probably just the passive off side rule and the interpretation of tackles from behind.
whufc
Coach

Postby saintal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Nothing wrong with a 8 goal to 9 slugfest on a mudpatch in the middle of winter, which can be uniquely entertaining. Plenty wrong with it on the dry surfaces in autumn and spring.

[b]One rule change I think they could trial is not to allow anyone else in the centre square bounce until the ball has been cleared of the square. Might make for less secondary-bounces and more attacking mindset and clearances like we used to see. Not 100% convinced it'll work, but worth a try.

Yes, I recall Sam Newman harping on about this one many, many years ago. Definitely worth a trial.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:21 am

saintal wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Nothing wrong with a 8 goal to 9 slugfest on a mudpatch in the middle of winter, which can be uniquely entertaining. Plenty wrong with it on the dry surfaces in autumn and spring.

[b]One rule change I think they could trial is not to allow anyone else in the centre square bounce until the ball has been cleared of the square. Might make for less secondary-bounces and more attacking mindset and clearances like we used to see. Not 100% convinced it'll work, but worth a try.

Yes, I recall Sam Newman harping on about this one many, many years ago. Definitely worth a trial.

Personally I don't think a rule like that would work and all you would see is players such as the wingman and half back line sitting deeper inside fifty instead as more than likely the clearance would be a clear kicking entry out of the square
whufc
Coach

Postby HeartBeatsTrue » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:13 am

VALE PARK wrote:Maybe they should change some soccer rules,IMHO not enough goals are scored and too much staging for frees!

Theres more staging for frees in footy than there is in soccer IMO. In fact, in soccer you can get cautioned for staging/diving, which could lead to being sent off (if you do it again) and/or suspension for accumulating cautions/send offs.
One good rule change for footy is to award a free to the opposition for blatant staging.

Another one I would like. If you have the ball and attempt to fend off your opponent theres your prior opportunity.

With this last possession out of bounds rule, if hypothetically a defender deep in the pocket gains possession under pressure, gets tackled, hurries it on the boot and the ball dribbles out of bounds. Is that a free to attacking team close to goal? This might cause defenders to err on rushing a behind instead, which is allowed due to being under pressure.
HeartBeatsTrue
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes a free to the forward team.
Also remember the new rule is not like basketball last touch off hands etc.
Some miss information is about on this.
For a free kick to be awarded (other than deliberate out of bounds by any meams that has been in forever)
to the opposition the ball must not be touched off the boot and go over the boundary.
I reckon lucky if there will be 4/5 a game.
The positive effect of this rule will be the players will not regularly go defensively down the boundary all day.
Watch the increase in goals scored.
The SANFL know more than me so they will probably change their mind and can it though.
Then bring it in for 2017 and waste a year!
Last edited by VALE PARK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:28 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Yes a free to the forward team.
For a free kick to be awarded (other than deliberate out of bounds by any meams that has been in forever)
to the opposition the ball must be untouched off a boot and go over the boundary.
The positive effect of this rule will be the players will not regularly go defensively down the boundary all day.

The SANFL know more than me so they will probably change their mind and can it though.

No, it will increase congestion in the midfield. Coaches will instruct players to go central when they lose possession and give the opposition space out wide hoping errors will occur and turnover the ball, or, forcing the opposition to take the long way home. Just as footy was turning a corner to be more attacking through the middle of the ground.

So by crowding the corridor you've gone against what we all believe is the best way to score quickly and heavily, straight down the guts!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 pm

whufc wrote:Why is it with Aussie Rules we believe it is the best game on earth yet there are consistently talks around rule changes all year round, the chatter comes from the AFL, the media, fans on forum etc etc

I find it strange because i go on alot of 'soccer' forums and you never get much chat around rule changes and that the fans are generally very happy with the way the game is played

*i know soccer is not everyones cup of tea and no one is going to convince one other to prefer the other sport etc etc but im just comparing the mentality of rules needing to be changed.

I think with soccer, the basic rule of not being able to touch the ball with your hands precludes the need for too much fussing with other rules. Aussie rules however, you can do anything with the ball except throw it. Therefore needs a lot of tweaking of other rules to keep it flowing. That's what I reckon anyway.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:48 pm

I think there is a difference though. Soccer seems to accept that boring 0-0 draws are a small, but inevitable occurrence. They dont try to legislate them out of the game.

If the AFL were running soccer they would have zones to stop people parking the bus, etc
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think there is a difference though. Soccer seems to accept that boring 0-0 draws are a small, but inevitable occurrence. They dont try to legislate them out of the game.

If the AFL were running soccer they would have zones to stop people parking the bus, etc

Yeah great point

The AFL have realised that their attendances, interest levels etc are at least partially aligned with how entertaining the game is viewed

While soccer have a captured market with very little competition from other sports due to the almost religious following of the sport
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Interesting article about the English football system, and i can see the corollary here. Especially the parts about being modern but traditional at the same time. That seems to describe the SANFL quite well

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-unit ... big-issues
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:Interesting article about the English football system, and i can see the corollary here. Especially the parts about being modern but traditional at the same time. That seems to describe the SANFL quite well

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-unit ... big-issues

Good article

I love how despite the needs of the top flight clubs they are very cautious about taking away from the structure and integrity of the comps below

The sanfl could have learnt a lesson from how the English lower league clubs have fought against top flight sides having b grades in their competition
whufc
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Booney wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Yes a free to the forward team.
to the opposition the ball must be untouched off a boot and go over the boundary.

No, it will increase congestion in the midfield. Coaches will instruct players to go central when they lose possession and give the opposition space out wide hoping errors will occur and turnover the ball, or, forcing the opposition to take the long way home. Just as footy was turning a corner to be more attacking through the middle of the ground.

So by crowding the corridor you've gone against what we all believe is the best way to score quickly and heavily, straight down the guts!

No I dont think so . Remember it has to be a disposal not last touched for a free out of bounds. All it will mean is teams won't play close to the boundary line.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:51 pm

So if the other team knows you won't go via the boundary where will you position defensively?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:53 pm

They simply won't know,you may go down the boundary after all!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:05 pm

VALE PARK wrote:They simply won't know,you may go down the boundary after all!

That's right. What do you think all teams will play solely through the centre square width Booney and the narrow in as they go forward .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby cracka » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Overheard Michael Godden talking to someone at our club tonight (his son is playing footy at Onkas) & he hates the rule as do most of the coaches & he is really pushing for it to be scrapped.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL