National 2nd Tier Competiton Discussion

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: WAFL Premiers vs the SANFL Premiers

Postby whufc » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

great concept in theory but in practise won't work or be agreed apon.

Neither club would be interested in playing unless there was a crazy amount of prize money.

The teams wouldn't risk star players IMHO therefore you would get second string teams on the park, which would diminsh the value and point of the game.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 pm

It it was to happen it would need to be like the North v NTFL match and the proposed North v Subiaco match in having it in February as a warm up for the season proper and a good team bonding exercise.
Unfortunately Subiaco wanted to have it at the end of the year which is a waste of time.
If you get a a few dozen supporters together for a trip it can be an awesome time.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby PhilH » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

few dozen !, four worked a treat for us last weekend.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby am Bays » Tue May 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Would have to do it as a pre-season trip to make it worthwhile similar to the world Club Challenge they do in rugby League.

end of season silly as both teams players would be too interested in drinking games than a footy game. Mid season too much of a risk for injuries mid season and is disruptive to the actual season itself.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby PhilH » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 pm

A few years back Sturt's CEO Stuart Totham proposed a Champions of Australia event to the league.

It was rejected pretty much straight away with one of the main opponents being Central District, for them it's all about the SANFL league premiership, nothing else matters.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Hazydog » Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 am

It surprises me that clubs are not a bit more proactive filling in gaps where in instances like this week, some clubs effectively have 2 byes in a row. Surely it wouldnt cost that much to nip interstate for a mid season trial? One bye a year is probably handy to rest the squad - but I reckon Teams can lose momentum when they have a couple of weeks off within a short period of time. (ie South have the week off for the State Game, play this week & then have a bye the week after.)
For example, if the Dogs played a WAFL club at Elizabeth mid season (when they both had a bye) I reckon they would attract 2000-3000 which surely would cover costs for both sides?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 27, 2009 9:29 am

Hazydog wrote:It surprises me that clubs are not a bit more proactive filling in gaps where in instances like this week, some clubs effectively have 2 byes in a row. Surely it wouldnt cost that much to nip interstate for a mid season trial? One bye a year is probably handy to rest the squad - but I reckon Teams can lose momentum when they have a couple of weeks off within a short period of time. (ie South have the week off for the State Game, play this week & then have a bye the week after.)
For example, if the Dogs played a WAFL club at Elizabeth mid season (when they both had a bye) I reckon they would attract 2000-3000 which surely would cover costs for both sides?

your probably right but i think the fear of players getting injured in a nothing game would scare this option off.

Also over time if there was a clear differnece in standard between the leagues im sure one team especially if they were going well in there league would not wanna come over and get pumped by 10 goals.
whufc
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am

Hazydog wrote:It surprises me that clubs are not a bit more proactive filling in gaps where in instances like this week, some clubs effectively have 2 byes in a row. Surely it wouldnt cost that much to nip interstate for a mid season trial? One bye a year is probably handy to rest the squad - but I reckon Teams can lose momentum when they have a couple of weeks off within a short period of time. (ie South have the week off for the State Game, play this week & then have a bye the week after.)

I'd agree that the interruption for some of the teams is not good, but unfortunately that's obviously because we live in a 9 team competition with a bye.

at least 3 reasons ...

- lack of money (wouldn't be as cheap as you might think)
- fear of injuries in a game for no points
- the break (while unfortunate) gives teams a time to manage existing injuries or aches and pains
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 am

North played a trial against the state under 18 side a couple of weeks ago to help fill in our extended gap.
We lost.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 am

Wedgie wrote:North played a trial against the state under 18 side a couple of weeks ago to help fill in our extended gap.
We lost.

Yeah, but wasn't that your ressies side Wedgie, who are struggling a tad this year compared to recent seasons ???
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Sojourner » Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

whufc wrote:Also over time if there was a clear differnece in standard between the leagues im sure one team especially if they were going well in there league would not wanna come over and get pumped by 10 goals.

Imagine what would be said on this forum if such a match was held and Subiaco pumped Central by 10 goals - maybe that is what they are afraid of! ;)
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby whufc » Wed May 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Sojourner wrote:
whufc wrote:Also over time if there was a clear differnece in standard between the leagues im sure one team especially if they were going well in there league would not wanna come over and get pumped by 10 goals.

Imagine what would be said on this forum if such a match was held and Subiaco pumped Central by 10 goals - maybe that is what they are afraid of! ;)

sorry i did mean to clarify if the results went either way but were consistently one sided.
whufc
Coach

Postby eaglehaslanded » Wed May 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Don't like this concept at all. The State league concept should be kept and modified with each team playing each other every year one game at home and one away.
"We're the mighty Eagles"
eaglehaslanded
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Central United

Postby baysman » Wed May 27, 2009 11:17 pm

An interesting idea. I'd like to see The Bays play the WAFL's 2009 Premiers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
baysman
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Big Phil » Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 am

baysman wrote:An interesting idea. I'd like to see The Bays play the WAFL's 2009 Premiers ;) ;)

It says Premiers mate, I thought people have been saying just end the season now and give it to the Dogs ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Central District v Subiaco game, Subi have kind of been the Centrals of the WAFL in recent years 8)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby baysman » Thu May 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Ooops.....apologies. I just didn't know that Centrals have already been given the Premiership Cup in May :?
baysman
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Big Phil » Thu May 28, 2009 7:58 pm

baysman wrote:Ooops.....apologies. I just didn't know that Centrals have already been given the Premiership Cup in May :?

They haven't, I just said that based on what a lot of others are saying, we may as well just give it to them now.

Of course, there is a long way to go and I think there are possibly 4 teams that could face off in the big one and win it.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby EasyE » Fri May 29, 2009 2:10 am

Big Phil wrote:
baysman wrote:Ooops.....apologies. I just didn't know that Centrals have already been given the Premiership Cup in May :?

They haven't, I just said that based on what a lot of others are saying, we may as well just give it to them now.

Of course, there is a long way to go and I think there are possibly 4 teams that could face off in the big one and win it.

The 'May Premiers' trophy alternates between Sturt and the Eagles i believe. ;)

As Dr Phil always says (any relation to Big Phil????) The best predictor of future behaviour, is past behaviour, so if you believe that then the dogs have it in the bag and who can argue with Oprah Winfrey's therapist...........
EasyE

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sojourner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Central District vs Swan Districts - Swans by 14pts for mine. ;)
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Big Phil » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Sojourner wrote:Central District vs Swan Districts - Swans by 14pts for mine. ;)

Does Krakeour play for Swannies now he his listed by Collingwood?

If not, Doggies by 10 goals, Ian Callinan to kick 6 and get BOG ;)
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL