Eagles News #1 2008

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Eagles News #1 2008

Postby GWW » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:32 pm

the joker wrote:
cd wrote:Craig Taylor (Sturt/Port)
craig taylor got dropped from magies league side then sooked and went to sturt then couldnt get a game at sturt and left to a country team. so why would he try again

Didn't he leave Sturt because of a family bereavement??
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby cd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 pm

from centrecirclelegend 23/11/07
craig is a top lad and very talented athlete
he has a black belt in martial arts
very sadly nearly 12 months ago he lost his brother in tragic circumstances and it hit him and his family real hard
it did affect his football so he played in the Barossa last year to find himself again
he is only 20-21 I believe
his dad was a very good and very tough forward player who usually kicked a ton every year
Woodville tried getting him in the mid to late 70s
Col D
High Flying Eagles
Premiers 1993, 2006 & 2011

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mintaro-Manoora

Postby eaglehaslanded » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Great job once again CD. Your posts are always welcome. It's good being an Eagles Supporter knowing one of own is leading the way by being one of the only club officials reporting on what is going on within their club. Keep up the good work CD I look forward to catching up with you at the club again.
"We're the mighty Eagles"
eaglehaslanded
League - Best 21

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Central United

Postby cd » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:25 pm

I can confirm an interstate recruit has signed but cant say who just yet as hasnt been offically released!
plus more news to come - watch this space and get to the AGM for announcements.
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mickyj » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:51 pm

cd wrote:I can confirm an interstate recruit has signed but cant say who just yet as hasnt been offically released!

CD you are the man i enjoy these Eagle updates during the year.And next time you pass me in the G/S I will say hi.

Cheers
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm

GWW wrote:
the joker wrote:
cd wrote:Craig Taylor (Sturt/Port)
craig taylor got dropped from magies league side then sooked and went to sturt then couldnt get a game at sturt and left to a country team. so why would he try again

Didn't he leave Sturt because of a family bereavement??

yep, i think early last year??? he got a bit of it but burnt it a lot and was dropped to our 2's during the 06 season.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby schimma » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 am

cd wrote:I can confirm an interstate recruit has signed but cant say who just yet as hasnt been offically released!

How about some hints cd
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby cd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:03 pm

We do have some interesting news in the pipeline - hopefully released at the AGM Schimma.

There is a glitch with recruit from interstate - working hard at moment to confirm.

Also congratulations to Belle & Matt Cooper on safe arrival of their first child (a girl) and to David Westbrook on his marriage this weekend.
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby smac » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm

cd wrote:There is a glitch with recruit from interstate

That'll teach you for recruiting cyborgs, Col. I'd be concerned about those rainy days as well...
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby cd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm

EAGLES TRIAL GAMES
March 1 - vs Sturt @ TBA

March 8 - vs West Adelaide @ Broadspectrum Oval

March 15 - vs Central Districts @ Thebarton Oval
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby schimma » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:04 pm

cd wrote:EAGLES TRIAL GAMES
March 1 - vs Sturt @ TBA

March 8 - vs West Adelaide @ Broadspectrum Oval

March 15 - vs Central Districts @ Thebarton Oval

Hopefully the mystery interstate player will be ready to play :wink:
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Postby woodwt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I wish David Westbrook was still at Oval Ave! :(
woodwt
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time

Postby cd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Agree Woodwt - David is a great lad who put family first and we wish him all the best for Saturday.
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby cd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Our email service to members is up and running again with an email today from coach Ron Fuller with lots of news re the playing squad.

If not on the email service join up via the club website.
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby cd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:14 pm

For those of you who arent on the email service here is what Ron had to say.
A very open and honest report to our members by the coach.

Join up folks and get the news first delivered to your email address - a free service to members.

"Happy New Year to all Eagle supporters.

It doesn’t take long to come around does it? As I write this, we find there is less than 6 weeks to go before we play Sturt in our first competitive trial, against opposition on Saturday the 1st of March.

We are a bit more ahead of where we were this time last year with the entire squad and hope to make a better impact earlier in the season because of this.

After the retirements of Lindsay, Hall, Inkster, Duncan and Cooper we needed to get about covering these losses. The list has been bolstered by the recruiting of several players who have already played at league level in our competition.

Jarrad Wright has returned to the club after a few years at South Adelaide and he will add quality depth to our on ball group. He is joined by another former South player, Nathan Twomey, who is a key forward we believe is capable of playing good football for us. Two other tall players to join us are James McEntee from North Adelaide and Craig Gogoll from Central District. Both can play several positions. Nick Malinovski is a former West Adelaide small forward / on baller who gives us versatility and pace as well.

As mentioned all have played senior football and we believe they have a lot of good football still ahead of them.

A couple of utilities who are trying out to play league football are Joel Mackie from Albury and Tom Corbett from SHOC in the Amateur League. On top of that we welcome Tom Couch, who is a midfielder from Geelong.

The other addition to players available to us is Jarryn Jacky, who was drafted by the Crows and has been aligned to us via the internal draft. He is a very exciting player, who may play a lot of AFL this year, but if not will be always welcome at our Club if he is not chosen for the Crows.

The extra 12 months that have been added on to a lot of our underage players who have already been exposed to reserves football has also added to our depth. All in all our preparation has been quite solid but the competition is getting harder every season and as such we need to prepare in the best possible manner.

The only down side has been the premature retirement of Brodie Lomas, who has lost the desire to play at this level, as well as the late start to pre season by Dale Symmons.

Dale had hoped to recover naturally from a hip injury but it was decided to operate just before Christmas and as such his return to full training will be about April / May.

Of course we also hope that Brodie recovers the passion needed to play and returns at some time too.

Justin Cicolella, Zack Hier, James Stewart, Jared Petrenko and Mark Passador, who are others to have operations post season, have recovered well and are coming along nicely too.

We should have a large group of players to choose from for the early trials, which is also encouraging and will create some internal competition.

See you on the 1st of March.

Ron Fuller."

(Internal trial the last week of february)
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby cd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Glitches sorted - from our email service to members - members get the news first via the email service so join up now

BIAGI & COUCH LAND AT OVAL AVE

The Club is pleased to announce the signing of two interstate recruits, we welcome them to the Club and look forward to seeing them wearing the Eagles colours.

David Biagi

22 years old 178cm 81kg

David played for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup competition before progressing to the Casey Scorpions, St Kilda’s affiliate in the VFL where he has played 47 games as a midfielder with the ability to change both back and forward. He won the Clubs 2006 Best & Fairest award. David was our prime recruiting target for the 2007 season so we are delighted he has decided to finally join us.

Thomas Couch 19 years old

Tom progressed from the Geelong Falcons’ in 2006 to play 5 games with Geelongs’ VFL team in 2007. Tom is the son of Geelong Brownlow Medalist, Paul, and is a strongly built utility who played mainly as a wingman during his 5 VFL games.

(I believe David is similar in style to Callinan)
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mickyj » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:37 pm

cd wrote:Glitches sorted - from our email service to members - members get the news first via the email service so join up now

BIAGI & COUCH LAND AT OVAL AVE

The Club is pleased to announce the signing of two interstate recruits, we welcome them to the Club and look forward to seeing them wearing the Eagles colours.

David Biagi

22 years old 178cm 81kg

David played for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup competition before progressing to the Casey Scorpions, St Kilda’s affiliate in the VFL where he has played 47 games as a midfielder with the ability to change both back and forward. He won the Clubs 2006 Best & Fairest award. David was our prime recruiting target for the 2007 season so we are delighted he has decided to finally join us.

Thomas Couch 19 years old

Tom progressed from the Geelong Falcons’ in 2006 to play 5 games with Geelongs’ VFL team in 2007. Tom is the son of Geelong Brownlow Medalist, Paul, and is a strongly built utility who played mainly as a wingman during his 5 VFL games.

(I believe David is similar in style to Callinan)

Cool I was calling for more small forwards last year .
Thanks Cd I did get my members email.:)
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby cd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 pm

from a melbourne based supporter of the Casey Scorpions on another forum

"Was really dissapointed to see Biagi go, had an outstanding 2006 season, form slumped a bit in 2007 but was still a solid contributor. Can get BOG from the back pocket.

Didn't see him going to WWT, I knew he was sounded out by a number of VFL clubs, and I heard pretty close to signing with Frankston (stand alone club) thats the trouble with the VFL at the moment to many conflicts of interest and now Casey lose a B&F winner, It also didn't help with the depature of Banfield, a big wrap of Biagi's.

Iceman; Location: Casey Fields.
Teams: Casey Scorpions (VFL), but love SANFL footy, it's something Victoria is missing out on. Right now would consider myself either a Bays or Redlegs man."
Col D
High Flying Eagles

(Personal Post Only)
cd
League Bench Warmer

Postby schimma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 am

Good work cd. Good to get another midfielder. what is the word on gavin. is he staying with us
schimma
League - Best 21

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:44 am

cd wrote:I believe David is similar in style to Callinan

Good to see Eagles people not putting any pressure or expectations on their recruits then. :D
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL