I blame Tony Abbott
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:so i have a question - who is to blame for diminishing crowds? is it the crows fault that a sturt glenelg game doesnt get the crowd it used to?

Not the whole reason but definately a factor.
Work with a Sturt supporter who always used to go with a group of 7 or 8 and had hardly missed a game in 20 odd years, none of his group go anymore since the AFL reserves decision. A lot of of people have stopped going.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't go anymore, so that accounts for one more off the total.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby matt35 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:47 pm

@Benny; in the example you mentioned, absolutely nothing to do with the no AFL whinge and everything to do with Glenelg's form. As I said, very little Glenelg presence at Unley yesterday. Fact is, Sturt's crowds are up!

For me the only particularly disappointing crowd this weekend was the Eagles Norwood game which I would have thought would have pulled around 3 thousand. Again though, hard to see how that has anything to do with the new set up, after all the Eagles' round 9 game against the Crows pulled a crowd of just over 3 thousand.

I do think that one factor that is probably hurting SANFL crowds at least to some extent, and I believe has been raised on here previously, is the fact that this year more people than ever before are attending AFL games in Adelaide. Unfortunately there's only so much time and money that people can dedicate to Football on any given weekend and more people than ever are going to Adelaide Oval to watch the Crows and Port. Now the question is, once we get over the first year and the novelty factor of Adelaide Oval, will this settle? I believe it will, not back to the levels that AAMI finished at, but I think numbers will drop off a bit. This of course depends also on team performances. This should steady SANFL crowds, although having said that, of course the situation is nowhere near as bleak as some on here would have people think.

With Port, Norwood and Sturt all still likely to feature prominently, I am still expecting very good crowds for the finals.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Plus the Eagles are OK and South tease yet no more fans . Both clubs being OK won't drag crowds.Glenelg is Glenelg and Port have no interest .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:16 pm

I'd know of 3 mates that aren't going to the footy this year, ceased to be members and feel totally sold out due to having reserves teams in the comp.
I'd also doubt if Sturt's crowds are up this year and if they are it would be minimal.
That Port are pulling pathetic crowds while on top spells trouble.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Ports crowds have been average for a while reckon.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:19 pm

thats a really good point matt, and one that i dont think has been raised. the increased afl crowds would certainly have an effect on sanfl crowds being down.

how much of an effect i have no idea but it is definitely something worth looking into
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 pm

When they promised the extra 4000 they must have forgotten Adelaide Oval was going ahead. I get that , easily missed.These hiccups happen.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Scrapboy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:thats a really good point matt, and one that i dont think has been raised. the increased afl crowds would certainly have an effect on sanfl crowds being down.

how much of an effect i have no idea but it is definitely something worth looking into

I don't think it would have much of an effect at all. I know of at least a few who don't go at all anymore and a few more that only go now and then and are generally apathetic when they do. It may be a factor with Port's crowd but as its been said, their crowds have been falling for a while.
I can't see many SANFL die hards suddenly becoming AFL sheep because of a new stadium, those extra 'supporters' are usually the more fickle type that won't bother once the novelty wears off or the team starts losing regularly IMO.
Scrapboy

Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:33 pm

it has nothing to do with the diehards, it has to do with the people that might just go to 3-5 games a year, and are casual fans of both the sanfl and the afl

those people are almost certainly going to go to an afl game this year rather than the sanfl, because of aforementioned novelty factor.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby matt35 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:58 pm

On Sturt:

After seven home games, they have had 23327 people through the gates: Average 3332.

After 7 home games in 2013, they had had 19003 people to their games. Average: 2715.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:09 am

matt35 wrote:On Sturt:

After seven home games, they have had 23327 people through the gates: Average 3332.

After 7 home games in 2013, they had had 19003 people to their games. Average: 2715.

thats what happens when you are up and about
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Scrapboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:17 am

bennymacca wrote:it has nothing to do with the diehards, it has to do with the people that might just go to 3-5 games a year, and are casual fans of both the sanfl and the afl

those people are almost certainly going to go to an afl game this year rather than the sanfl, because of aforementioned novelty factor.

Like I said, they're the more fickle kind of supporter that I would say are going to be much less inclined to come back to a lesser product in a year or two, but we're speculating.
FACTS are there are several people on here that know of others (die hards) who used to go to a lot more than just 3-5 games a year and are now gone - and they're definitely not coming back.
Scrapboy

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 am

just because they dont go to every game that doesnt make them fickle.

i have been to 3/4 adelaide united games before. probably the same amount of adelaide 36ers games. that doesnt make me fickle supporters of those teams, just that i dont follow it closely and enjoy the odd game but arent about to buy a season ticket.

those people are what gives you the swell in crowds when teams are doing well, because as a casual supporter you never go when they are getting pumped.

you can call them bandwagon supporters and to some extent thats true, but its also just a fact.

using this forum as a representative sample is also dangerous.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Scrapboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:48 am

Fickle compared to most who frequent this forum. I do the same with the 36ers and United and I'm what I'd call fickle compared to their diehards - simply because I don't have memberships and I pick and choose when it's best for me to go, just my opinion and I agree it causes a swell in crowds.

You can speculate about SANFL crowds and whether they're going to AO or wherever, the point is there's definitely people who've left that weren't like that and if this forum isn't going to be one of the ways of informing us of what's going on with those supporters, what is? It's strange that you would support one person's theory on falling numbers (which I actually agree would be a small part of it), but suggest that others who have stated facts regarding people they know is a representation not to be trusted.
Scrapboy

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 am

I would think this forum is one of the best ways to gauge feeling in the SANFL.
It's where SANFL fans go to talk about footy. Most of the regular posters here are strong SANFL supporters.
I've noticed a strong drop in the SANFL games threads, as an example.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am

bennymacca wrote:so i have a question - who is to blame for diminishing crowds? is it the crows fault that a sturt glenelg game doesnt get the crowd it used to?

Yep my attendance and care factor of this league has dropped by heaps since the crows came in

I have misses more games this year alone than games in the last 20 years total
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am

Scrapboy wrote:Fickle compared to most who frequent this forum. I do the same with the 36ers and United and I'm what I'd call fickle compared to their diehards - simply because I don't have memberships and I pick and choose when it's best for me to go, just my opinion and I agree it causes a swell in crowds.

You can speculate about SANFL crowds and whether they're going to AO or wherever, the point is there's definitely people who've left that weren't like that and if this forum isn't going to be one of the ways of informing us of what's going on with those supporters, what is? It's strange that you would support one person's theory on falling numbers (which I actually agree would be a small part of it), but suggest that others who have stated facts regarding people they know is a representation not to be trusted.

I wasn't suggesting that people on here were lying when they said they and their friends had stopped going, it is clear a lot of the diehards are fed up and don't go anymore, and I'm not even suggesting Matt is 100% right, just that it's a good point that hadn't been brought up before
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 am

whufc wrote:

Yep my attendance and care factor of this league has dropped by heaps since the crows came in

I have misses more games this year alone than games in the last 20 years total

I'm actually going against the trend - I've been to more Dogs games this year than I would have in the past 20. Living back in Adelaide, kids slightly older and no footy commitments now mean I've been able to get to more games. It's not that my interest has increased, I just don't want to give up something I love so much, my footy club.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL