SANFL Round 3

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Round 3

Postby goddy11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Anyone give sturt much hope on Tuesday, $4.10 the win seems overs?

Yeah, I've had a nibble at that price. Sturt are still a very good side with a slight Premiership hangover. Think they can get up

As an Eagles supporter I might get some of that. :D Just joking but that's ridiculous. I cant remember where I read it, probably the Advertiser a few months back but they were talking Sturt after premiership as creating a dynasty like Centals. Things have changed, short term anyway.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 575 times
Been liked: 214 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby wedgetail » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Sturt will be a very tough opponent Tuesday as a 0-3 start to the year would see them possibly not making the top 3. Eagles haven't really been tested yet either this season so they are only slight favourites in my opinion. Eags haven't lost at Unley for a while either.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Sturt copped Crows pretty strong first up then had a 5 day break into Glenelg, agree this game is nearly 50/50
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby Mickyj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

I don't mind let Sturt be the favourites
I'm interested in seeing who the Eagles promote and who goes out
Will West get his first league game 203 cm ruck
Will one of the Eagles co captains play his first game
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Crowds

West vs Norwood - N/A

Port vs North - 2,583

South vs Glenelg - 1,589

Centrals vs Crows - 1,606
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby saintal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Just over 2K at Richmond apparently Gozu.

Those are terrible crowds. The season is fresh, plenty of upsets have made for an unpredictable comp, perfect weather.

Thought the Noarlunga game would have drawn 2K minimum. South crowds continue to be a worry, especially on the back of 11 straight wins at the ground. Were seeing more spectators when 10 goal losses were the norm.

I know that they are not popular with some on this forum, but I do think there is room for Sunday footy in small doses. Today would have been a good opportunity for a stand-alone game.
Last edited by saintal on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Panther Pack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 pm

saintal wrote:Just over 2K at Richmond apparently Gozu.

Those are terrible crowds. The season is fresh, plenty of upsets have made for an unpredictable comp, perfect weather.

Thought the Noarlunga game would have drawn 2K minimum. South crowds continue to be a worry, especially on the back of 11 straight wins at the ground. Were seeing more spectators when 10 goal losses were the norm.

Agree about the crowds at Noarlunga. They are smaller now then when Fuller was coach and we were getting pumped every week.

Strange thing is membership was up last year about 18% and from what I've been told is around the same amount of members again this year.

It seems like the casual south supporter had dropped off and doesn't like coming to Noarlunga even though we are doing really well at the ground.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 pm

I know that they are not popular with some on this forum, but I do think there is room for Sunday footy in small doses. Today would have been a good opportunity for a stand-alone game.

Agree its July type crowds in April and perfect weather, grassroots footy are getting bigger crowds
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 am

Panther Pack wrote:

Agree about the crowds at Noarlunga. They are smaller now then when Fuller was coach and we were getting pumped every week.

Strange thing is membership was up last year about 18% and from what I've been told is around the same amount of members again this year.

It seems like the casual south supporter had dropped off and doesn't like coming to Noarlunga even though we are doing really well at the ground.

Warren Partland makes mention of the poor turnout at Noarlunga in the fish wrapper today....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 am

South home games should never be played on Saturdays against the SFL. The SANFL might wake up to this one day. Evven when theyve asked for Sundays the SANFL has programmed the opposite.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am

Wedgie wrote:South home games should never be played on Saturdays against the SFL. The SANFL might wake up to this one day. Evven when theyve asked for Sundays the SANFL has programmed the opposite.

Yep, play it yesterday & it doesn't go up against the crows either.
Their should've been at least one SANFL game Sunday.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5528 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

SANFL Round 3

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

Wedgie wrote:South home games should never be played on Saturdays against the SFL. The SANFL might wake up to this one day. Evven when theyve asked for Sundays the SANFL has programmed the opposite.

Wouldn't that apply to most country leagues aswell though?
Centrals playing on Saturday is madness when it was the opening round of the BL&G
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 am

Jim05 wrote:

Wouldn't that apply to most country leagues aswell though?
Centrals playing on Saturday is madness when it was the opening round of the BL&G

Nah, its different down South, the SFL is a way of life, a massive day out and was ingrained into southerners long before South moved there.
Its much more evident.
For example North on the other hand dont do any better on Sundays which allows the local clubs such as Kilburn,Broadview, Gaza, etc attend.
Most Centrals fans I know dont even ive in the Barossa or Gawler.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am

Wedgie wrote:Nah, its different down South, the SFL is a way of life, a massive day out and was ingrained into southerners long before South moved there.
Its much more evident.

Yep. Even as a junior we stayed and watched the seniors 5x more often than heading to the SANFL, and that was 25 years ago..
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:03 am

I probably didn't explain it as well as I should.

Imagine if between Grand Junction Rd and Gawler there had been a thriving league with 100 years of history which was ingrained into the northern suburbs way of life.
Also imagine if North Adelaide had traditionally played their home games in the southern parklands, had the smallest following in the comp and had no success for 40 years relocated to Elizabeth where they continued to have no success only making the finals occassionally.
Obviously all comps up against SANFL will have some impact on crowds but some moreso than others and this should be catered for.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:08 am

Wedgie wrote:I probably didn't explain it as well as I should.

Imagine if between Grand Junction Rd and Gawler there had been a thriving league with 100 years of history which was ingrained into the northern suburbs way of life.
Also imagine if North Adelaide had traditionally played their home games in the southern parklands, had the smallest following in the comp and had no success for 40 years relocated to Elizabeth where they continued to have no success only making the finals occassionally.
Obviously all comps up against SANFL will have some impact on crowds but some moreso than others and this should be catered for.

Yeah completely agree with what you are saying South is definitely up against it competing with the SFL, combined with the fact we have had no success.

The club does have 4 sunday arvo games this year at home so will be interesting to see what the crowds are like for those games.

Just thought with how well we have been playing at home and with Glenelg starting the year off so well it would have been a bigger crowd.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby PhilH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 am

2,076 was crowd at City Mazda Stadium.

It will be interesting to see how many go to Unley tomorrow for the stand alone ANZAC Day game

Hopefully at least 5,000
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby vics01 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Are kids counted or only the paid tickets?
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby PhilH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Everyone who walks through the gate should be counted, players, officials, media, kids, volunteers .... everyone. Has always been this way.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby vics01 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Noticed driving in at South they were only scanning paid tickets, didn't look like they were counting the kids in the car. There were a lot of kids at the game
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL