Round 1- Norwood v Port @ Norwood Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 1- Norwood v Port @ Norwood Post Match

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:See what crowd central v eagles or south v west get and what sort of ratings they measure first.

Agree, they are the two largest supported clubs in the state but even Centrals and eagles can get 30k to a GF so there is a tad of interest in these sides out there
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby StrayDog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Looks like the attendance combined with then ratings made the change of night a success.

That's why I'm so disappointed with the SANFL in the whole AFL reserves debacle as I genuinely believe there is the interest out there in the SANFL. It was just a matter of doing more to maximise attendances.

I think there would've been plenty of interest around over how the Port side would've looked etc which helped boosts the numbers..

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

Only speaking for myself of course, I flicked over for a while here and there around other shows, getting the kids settled, etc. More of a curiousity thing rather than anything else, I found it a bit sterile and couldn't really get into it though. I was pretty exhausted too, I must admit.

What were the telly ratings for the game just out of curiousity? (Apologies if I've missed it somewhere.)

Edit:- found it, 55k
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1159 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby LPH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Booney wrote:
LEH wrote:Have to agree somewhat with Dutchy though, I reckon there would be an element of truth in the fact that not being under pressure to perform for one's spot in the team, means that an element of doubt or reluctance to be 100% committed (at times) to a contest, could creep in to a player's mindset, couldn't it?

Let's assume ( as everyone is ) the only thing on a Magpie players mind is getting picked at AFL level, do you think going in half arsed is going to do his cause any good? Of course not.

What I am suggesting is:

If there is a chance of injury due to the conditions or something. If you are not under pressure for your spot in the side, then you may not be 100% committed to the cause every week. I think it's fair to suggest this as a possibility. Not all players 'hit packs' @ 100%, 100% of the time anyway. So, lets say player X is struggling with a 'niggle' this week. Human nature would predict that the thought would (at least) cross his mind at times during a match, if he is unlikely to be dropped, then there is no real consequence for his action, as he still gets his AFL wages & doesn't get dropped to the SANFL Reserves.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby sjt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Players will be dropped.

Do you honestly believe this will happen?

If power reserves drop the player, the power will have to move them to another club to aid their development. ;)
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Well well well what happened the Powerserves on paper were the superior team and i tipped them to win by at least 10 goals hmmm maybe they will not be as strong as we all thought.

Any way great job Norwood any SANFL team that beats these two AFL INTERLOPERS has my thanks.

PS I am still not going to Alberton to watch the Powerserves.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby SDK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 pm

As previously stated you can never get a guide regarding future attendances when Norwood and Port play as those games are usually in the 6 - 7,000 range. Will be very interested in the crowd at Prospect which according to Mr. Trigg will be 4,000 + North supporters 4,000 ? making 8,000+. Unless of course Mr. Trigg was lying !!!!!!
Go the Roosters smash those arrogant xxxxs.
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Well, I must concede that I was way out in my forecast. I guess I should have listened to the old adage that 'a champion team always beats a team of champions'. Norwood certainly are a champion team. I did expect more though from Port, with 15 AFL players out there with a combined total of over 400 AFL matches. It does beg the question (although I know Port supporters will shoot me down for saying this) about how committed Power players will be in playing for their Reserves. After all, each of these players would, I am sure, have much preferred being selected in the Power's AFL side rather than the Magpies. A lot of AFL players when dropped back to the SANFL did not always perform as well as they could have for their SANFL sides Will this happen with Port this year? On-field performance relies on a lot more than just skill, it relies on attitude as well. Some say that 80% of football is played 'from the neck up'. Could this see Port (who really, based on their squad, should be far better than most SANFL sides) dragged back to the pack?

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby SDK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 pm

As Percy Jones once famously said ..... football is 80% half mental.
Norwood had the correct attitude and commitment to the jumper shown by their fanatical tackling and the body language was very apparent from the first bounce.
What surprised me most was the lack of basic skills shown by so called professional Port players compared to their semi professional opponents.
The Power side will not feel much pressure from below by the looks of it.
Still this is game 1 and we all have a long way to go.
SDK
League - Best 21

Postby Gozu » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:17 am

Buddha's comments after the game:

Hocking rejected a suggestion his team was outplayed all night but said it left The Parade with plenty to work on.

“I wouldn’t say all night, I’d say for half,” he said post-match.

“The numbers say that we’ve been able to win the second half by a point, get on top in clearances, contested ball, tackling, inside 50s, it was a game of two halves.

“They were super in the first half, we didn’t start well, we’ve had a couple of issues in our trial games of starting well so it’s an area we need to improve on.

“Our players hopefully are not underselling the competition and how strong it is although we look strong on paper.”

Hocking said the pleasing thing was his team wasn’t blown away when at one stage Norwood got out to a 31-point lead.

“We were able to work our way back into the game. Young 10 clearances, Renouf 41 hit-outs, Panos was giving us a bit of a headache around the footy, we tried to quell his influence a bit and move the ball a bit better.

“That was pleasing for our guys because they could have been smashed here. They (Norwood) play the ground really well here, they’re well-coached, well-drilled, so it’s disappointing to lose by that margin and I thought we took some good stuff out of it.

“They’re aiming for a three-peat, it’s a big effort.

“Their pre-season probably hadn’t been as good as they would have liked, they’re a competitive group and you don’t win two in a row if you’re not competitive and know how to win so full credit to them.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6874330737
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 am

No mention from Whiskas this week about the scoreboard? Weird when he points out in a trial game.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby kickinit » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 am

Wedgie wrote:No mention from Whiskas this week about the scoreboard? Weird when he points out in a trial game.

He saves that for the idiots down at chicken land
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Mic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:10 am

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:No mention from Whiskas this week about the scoreboard? Weird when he points out in a trial game.

He saves that for the idiots down at chicken land

A comment as brilliant as Hocking's last week.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Scrapboy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 am

Fear not, he got plenty of reminders where it was the other night ;)
Scrapboy

Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:38 am

Scrapboy wrote:

Fear not, he got plenty of reminders where it was the other night ;)

Good work Norwood and good work Norwood fans. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 pm

norwood8 wrote:
kickinit wrote:. I thought we had a better deal with the umps but seriously they are shocking. Bring on the bays next week, we'll be better then we where tonight.

I thought (and the others around me) the umpires were pretty good, made some mistakes but didn't get sucked into paying the BS iffy decisions you see in the AFL.

No doubt the Power and Crow reserves coaches will try to get that fixed to support player development. ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby SpionKopster » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Legs Man wrote:Wonder who KT was barracking for last night?

Norwood ;)
Fortis in Procella
SpionKopster
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm

SpionKopster wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Wonder who KT was barracking for last night?

Norwood ;)

Spotted KT looking very resplendid in his Port Magpies polo shirt...

He would have been chuffed that his side got the points...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Nearly four days after the game and still no word from Beenreal.

Hope he's OK.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Gozu wrote:Buddha's comments after the game:

Hocking rejected a suggestion his team was outplayed all night but said it left The Parade with plenty to work on.

“I wouldn’t say all night, I’d say for half,” he said post-match.

“The numbers say that we’ve been able to win the second half by a point, get on top in clearances, contested ball, tackling, inside 50s, it was a game of two halves.

“They were super in the first half, we didn’t start well, we’ve had a couple of issues in our trial games of starting well so it’s an area we need to improve on.

“Our players hopefully are not underselling the competition and how strong it is although we look strong on paper.”

Hocking said the pleasing thing was his team wasn’t blown away when at one stage Norwood got out to a 31-point lead.

“We were able to work our way back into the game. Young 10 clearances, Renouf 41 hit-outs, Panos was giving us a bit of a headache around the footy, we tried to quell his influence a bit and move the ball a bit better.

“That was pleasing for our guys because they could have been smashed here. They (Norwood) play the ground really well here, they’re well-coached, well-drilled, so it’s disappointing to lose by that margin and I thought we took some good stuff out of it.

“They’re aiming for a three-peat, it’s a big effort.

“Their pre-season probably hadn’t been as good as they would have liked, they’re a competitive group and you don’t win two in a row if you’re not competitive and know how to win so full credit to them.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6874330737

I would say he was at a different game but he was sitting right behind me
He obviously didn't hear some of my barbs about the PP2 players not interested, and WAP in the contests.
The only time they were competitive was the first 5 minutes of the final quarter.
Even their website says that: http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-03/magpies-go-down-fighting-to-pressure-redlegs
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:36 pm

They were weak there is no doubt about it and as far as giving praise for Renouf. Surely you jest buddha
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL