Search found 136 matches

Return

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Reflecting on some of the comments here re the Eagles, I would wonder how many times in the last 15 years that they have missed the SANFL finals? I would suspect not very often if not at all! They have been a very strong club over a long period of time not unlike Central District who have also seen success over a similar time span.

WWT still managed to make the finals once again this season and there is no real suggestion that they will not be there next season.

I can understand the frustrations of West Torrens people about the club losing traditional areas to West Adelaide. Yet I put it to you that the SANFL worked hard to ensure that the areas around the SANFL clubs home grounds would be retained. History shows that WWT chose Woodville over Thebarton and moved the club in that direction, along those lines giving WWT traditional Port Adelaide territory makes more sense than allocating it to West Adelaide who have no connection there whereas Woodville very much does.

As for Godden, not many clubs would sack a coach that took their league side into the finals, I suspect that he would be given another season based on this year's performance.

My concern for WWT is not unlike some of the other SANFL clubs and that is the state of the books and how they stand in relation to the promises made to them by the AFC and PAFC in terms of increased income streams? Sacking coaches, getting the best players out of the VFL and so forth comes back to that issue. I hope that WWT have been able to break even this season, I recall that plans to renovate the club and expand the training facilities have been put on hold due to financial issues. It is my observation that this problem if it is a problem is the one that has the potential to do the club real damage as opposed to recruiting and coaching staff.

Good post Sojourner.
Some of the issues that have been raised have been discussed here since Fuller was there, especially speed through the midfield.
Our recruiting over the last couple of years has been "all-in" and to not deliver, especially this year, has to be judged a failure, both on and off field IMO.
Recently we've gone towards the big names in recruiting and recycling average league footballers, whereas before that we seemed to recruit players with better character either from interstate or capable players not getting a league game eg Grocke. This served us and Centrals well, and, to give Fuller his due, is something he tried to bring to South, and it appears to now be bearing results.

Sure, a lot of clubs would have like to have our last 15 years, but it seems to me sometimes clubs live off the memories of certain momentous flags and occasions, eg Sturt's '76 flag up until 2002, Norwood's 1984 flag right up until the last couple of years (even despite their 1997 win), Glenelg back-to-back, the Eagles 1993 flag (which was why finally winning in '06 was great). In all this time Port and Centrals just got on with the business of winning again and again. Our 2011 flag was deservedly recognized as a great win, but we can't live off that day any longer.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

If drawing a crowd and getting media coverage were genuine goals for the SANFL then they would not have programmed the GF on AFL prelim weekend in preference to a long weekend free of any AFL.

But 2 new teams that asked to join the comp wanted it that way? Oh sorry, excellent reason to abandon a set up that was clearly working well.

This part of it makes me as angry and p!ssed off as any of it, perhaps because to me it was the final straw in rolling over.

And really it is all because of 6-10 players of two teams potentially playing who are wanted on AFL lists, given from history we know there will always be a few on the list and rookies that will never, or barely, play an AFL game.

Don't also underestimate the impact of numerous Amateur and Country leagues close to the city that have their GF's Saturday, that may give preference to attending their local GF and watch Sunday on the box, not to mention players with sore heads. Other clubs still having their end of year functions etc, footy trips that used to come on the long weekend. City-Bay. All factors that I can't believe the SANFL were so blind to, or the AFL clubs were so selfish about, given we are talking about promoting a football event in the community.

My "stats" are having missed 3 out of the last 29 GF (one couldn't get tickets, two whilst living on West Coast). One year finished playing cricket at 5.30 Saturday and drove 6 hours to Adelaide to make the GF. Last ten years, have lived about two hours from Adelaide and made 90% of the finals over that time, even when Eagles weren't playing, usually dragging 2-4 more people with me. Could have made all the finals this year, including this weekend, but really just couldn't have been f**ked. May have gone if South were playing, but even on the weekend was half watching Port/South, half watching the Rugby League.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Yeah, it just doesn't feel like it's the end of the season, or that it's really been a season.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Agree WB, was a fantastic series, really enjoyed it.

To me it really brought home that we overlook the fact that young women also sacrificed five years of their youth to the War, and that we owe them a great amount of gratitude too.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

North's Achilles heel at that stage was key defenders and they thought that they had resolved that issue until the rookie draft.
Jason Roe, who had been playing in defence for North was rookie listed by Brisbane. Stephen Gilham who had been on Port's list but had been allocated to North whilst playing for Port as used to happen, had signed with North when Port delisted him. He was rookied by Hawthorn and went onto become an AFL premiership player.
North had also signed a Centre Half Back who had played 7 games for Essendon called Sam Hunt who was rookied by Geelong in the same draft. He didn't make it at Geelong, but when he was finally delisted he didn't come to North but instead went to WA where he played a key role in South Fremantle's 2009 premiership win.
In addition Toby Stribling had been delisted by Fremantle and then rerookied and a young ruckman on North's list at the time, Luke McEntee was rookied by Hawthorn.
To attempt to solve the key defender problem brought about by the rookie draft, North then recruited former Glenelg, Hawthorn and Footscray defender, Simon Cox who was well passed his prime. He played OK for North but was overweight and injury prone.
I certainly don't want to take anything away from the Eagles in 2006. They certainly deserved their flag. I just wanted to highlight the damage the rookie draft can do. I guess these days the clubs would have more idea as to who was going to be rookied and have contingencies in place.
I also remember that Clayton had signed for the Eagles from his country Victorian club before being rookied by North Melbourne and playing for them for two years.

Thanks RIG. Know you weren't trying to take anything away from the Eagles, I just couldn't remember the names, or if some of the players you'd signed were more "speculative" recruits from interstate. Roe and Gilham were/woud have become quality SANFL players at the time and big losses.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

From a scheduling point of view, what they have done makes sense.
Little annoyed, had arranged holidays etc, but feel bad for feeling that in the scheme of things. Also missing out on that first day before the game when imagine it will be pretty emotional and another fitting tribute, not so sure there will be huge crowd compared to the Friday.
Probably five blokes at work have members tickets and would have gone at least three days, some all, now each might make one or two.
Easy for people living in the city to adjust their plans, not so us in the country.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't understand why they don't try to get through the overs quicker to put a bit of pressure back on the batting team. Bowl 32 in the first two sessions, then can take it slowly and only bowl 26 in the last session when they may be looking to score more quickly. Know it is a little different on the first morning when the fast men are on.

Aussies will be about 6 overs short tonight which won't be made up. In Adelaide Indians were 7 overs short when Australia were trying to push for a score, but on the last day, play was going to go till 6.15-6.20 to get all the overs in. Of course Clarke didn't have to declare overnight, but to bat on would have then reduced India's chances of being bowled out. Borderline cheating.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Seriously how stupid are some people. The CFS have put out a tweet for people to stay away from one tree hill road as it making it difficult for fire fighters to get through.

Seems typical of society these days, so many people have less and less idea about anything real even though we are supposedly smarter, but as long as they have their shopping malls and facebook and selfies then that's all that matters.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA Bushfires

Thoughts go out to all the CFS Volunteers and those affected so far. My inlaw's place at Humbug Scrub, not far from Kersbook Rd, is under huge threat.

Live at Woodside, so no direct threat here yet, but a warning has been issued for neighbouring towns like Lenswood (where my folks live) and Charleston so you never know.

Thoughts with your wife's family and yourself saintal, here's hoping they get through unscathed.
Sounds like Hermitage has coped it and Inglewood is about to.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, was having a bit of a crack at wider society, what everyone thinks is so important but really is artificial, compared to things like food production and nature (including fires).
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starc is a big disappointment. Was a huge warp for him with his potential 3-4 years ago and sure he's had a couple of injuries, but just hasn't shown any development like you'd hope with someone given that many chances at that level. Still young though.

On a positive note, Zampa is primed for his test debut after bowling SA to victory with a second-innings six-for in Adelaide's usual pre-Christmas Shield game. Oh, hang on, that's not what's been going on?......
by FlyingHigh
Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Test match attendance figures this series

6000 for the bangers test match is a great effort.
And we could extrapolate that out to any country town where three-quarters of the 500 people go and watch the local footy and netball.
Sometimes this whole Melbourne is the sporting capital rubbish sh!ts me, although I suppose it has to be because it's a sh!thole otherwise.

Really?

I absolutely LOVE Melbourne. Easy to get around, alive, buzzing the entire time. Sporting events you can't jump over. Great bars and cafe's, shopping, lifestyle. Why oh why did I move back?!?!?!!?

I'm probably not the most seasoned traveler, Melbourne 6-8 times including for footy, tennis and horses. Been to Sydney same amount of times, Hobart/Tassie a handful, Canberra and Perth once, little bit of travelling in country NSW. Each time I have been to Melbourne I have moderately enjoyed some of it, but can't put any of those times ahead of any of the other trips. Overrated IMO.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Series win 2/0 but i put it down to 2/2, India were down and out but fought back.

Johnson and Harris almost finished, due to age and injury dont rate Starc, went to water under pressure with the new ball today.

Our fielding has gone backwards 5 fold, hopefully the fielding coach will do the right thing and hand in his paperwork tonight.

Postives: Smith,(all series) Hazelwood (since coming in) , Burns impressed this test, Rogers did his bit should have gone on and of course Warner. still on the fence re Marsh and time for Watson to go

And of course Lyon was so unlucky, been a great series, some changing times ahead

Lyon once again did his role admirably in the first innings. Probably has been unlucky at times, but it then follows that some days he should get the luck, and the fact that he hasn't been getting the results more often shows maybe he's not quite up to it (though in fairness the last day at CapeTown was pretty hard with the way the SAffers played).

Would love to see them play Burns at 3 against the Windies to get a feel for it against lesser opposition. Think it would really enhance our side if he could nail it down - my top 6 for the Windies and hopefully Ashes would be:
Rogers
Warner
Burns
Clarke/Smith - some blokes are simply middle order batsmen, not number 3's IMO.
Smith/Clarke
Watson (just ahead of Marsh for the next 12 months. Similar batting, offers a touch more in his bowling at this stage, and with the strength of our attack is a legitimate part of it, not just a stop-gap to give the main bowlers a rest).
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Did I hear it correctly, that Jay Weatherill wants to change our timezone???

is he serious??

is it April 1st??
I don't have a problem moving forward to Eastern states time, IMO it makes sense but to go back to WA time is ludicrous
There is a reason Central time exists....geographically we are central! If dickheads in offices can't work out to add half an hour they should be sacked.

The USA is only a few hundred kilometers wider than us yet they have 5 time zones.....
The half hour is ridiculous, most zones are in 1 hour increments. Id be happy to go forward and line up with the East

Going forward good for sports broadcasting but I would feel sorry for the farmers on the west coast

It's bad enough in the Central areas in April and October with the stupid 6 months of daylight savings, let alone making it half an hour worse. And then even worse for the west coasters.
We should be an hour in between the east and the west, and if not, leave it as it is.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA Time Zones

1/ Leave as is
from a short half-head from
2/ Proper Central Time

Daylight.....

3/ Change to Eastern or Western Standard time, both are as absurd as each other.

While daylight savings is a separate issue, if we have it, and go to Eastern time too, for those months we will be on a time zone just off the west coast of New Zealand. Kids will be going home from school in December and February at what is effectively 1.30, workers at 3-4.

Sunrise this year around May 10 and August 10 is 7.00. We would have 3 months where sunrise is after 7.30.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 stuff

But May was going for the ball. He protected his space and went for the ball. It was smart play. Where was Rockliff's peripheral vision?
Absolute disgrace. Thank Christ I don't watch much of this shit any more and only stay in contact with the AFL through Offsiders, Talking Footy and Footy Classified.
by FlyingHigh
Wed May 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

IMO, the acceptance of $50k from the AFL cancers for admittance into the SANFL is less a concession that the SANFL is somehow inevitably going to fade away than a sign that the six bendover clubs, and in particular the league directors, just didn't have the stomach to work hard enough to maintain interest in the comp.

Take the Eagles for example (who BTW had made a profit in the year before the reserves decision was made despite big write-downs of assets). When asked how the club was going to get new fans from people born from 2013 onwards, given the saturation of the Crows and Power in the media who are now competing in the same competition as the Eagles, Kurt Slaven replied that it was up to us (the ~200 members who'd gathered to hear him) to introduce young fans from our families to the club. Apart from the fact that most of those members were well past the normal child-bearing age, this way is obviously never going to lead to the current supporters being able to even replace themselves.

The six league directors who voted in favour did so, in part, because it was far, far easier to bank a cheque for $50,000 every year than to actually get off their fat arses and do some work in the community, the sort of work that only Phil Herden does. The boards should be doing the same thing as Phil.

No-one can seriously maintain, looking at the crowd numbers, that the interest in the SANFL was on the wane. Additionally, the past has proven that when times are tough re the SANFL, it is possible to marshal support from the people who come out of the woodwork. I fear that the only people who will 'come out of the woodwork' now, are Taylor Walker fans.

Good post RB

The $50,000 is a pittance. There were many putting more money into their SANFL clubs than I did, but just taking my low level of spending for example, which might be $60 for a membership, 4 games a year, so $25 each between food and entry, I'd only be putting in $160 a year. However it only takes 300 people that spend as little as this to drop off from each club and that is your $50k.

Regarding the next generation, I would love to take my niece and nephew, who are almost at that age and would be able to see only one or two a year, to an Eagles game, but I just don't feel right encouraging it, given what I've felt over the last couple of years. May take them to a neutral game just for them to see what it's like and for something to do, but not with the same eagerness I would have before.

I still feel torn between feeling with the reduced interest my club and the league need me more than ever, but I just can't bring myself to forgive their betrayal.
by FlyingHigh
Tue May 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

Umm isnt the idea of the review system to get rid of the "howlers", umpires calls are not howlers. Its just the rub of the green how it goes, this match has gone with England.
Tests wouldnt last 2 days if everything nicking the stumps was given out

100% correct !

Yeah, reckon they have got it almost right. Only difference might be if not playing a shot then they lose the benefit of Umpires call, eg Bresnan in the last Ashes series in England.

What p!sses me off is the continual review of the no-ball after every wicket. Some of them, the umpires just must not be looking. What makes those balls more special than any others? So what if nothing happens, it is still a run that the batting side don't get, plus the extra ball could go for runs (obviously more important in one-dayers).
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, good point re time, and also these days more sports are more accessible (at least on telly).
Different people having a different affinity to teams at different levels doesn't make them any less of a fan, but the thrust of the original posts was where the top level is their only interest. For me, perhaps this attitude is a hangover from growing up in the '80's with the SANFL ,and not being able to drop it overnight like many were able to, whereas now we're a good generation on who have only grown up with top-flight, professional sports.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Series

Guessing an Eagles-South GF would draw 15-18,000, Eagles-West 18-20,000, but I reckon a South-West GF would draw 25,000, would be a lot of neutrals go along
As a neutral I will attend the Grand Final regardless of which teams are playing - provided that they are both dinkum teams and not eastern league ring-ins.

Yeah, same here, except not sure I'd could go and support the Eagles and would be strange to be there just watching them.
Supporting a team against South in a GF would feel like killing Bambi.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

$700k for Dixon doesn't sound excessive compared to Frawleys $800k, and Boyd $1m average.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

Burns may not be the panacea, and his innings against India didn't prove one way or the other, but surely to Christ he was a better option that Sean Marsh.

When was the last time four different bowlers took five wickets in successive innings against an opposition?

Rogers, Warner, Clarke, Voges and Nevill showed some resolve, but three of those four wickets just before tea showed no value for their wicket.

Overall as a contest this series has been very disappointing. First test was competitive but almost always in England's favour, and third test for a while when we were trying to restrict their first innings lead, but very little tense, which-way-will-this-go cricket.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

valleys07 wrote:Sorry lads, only just caught this post.

Tipping will be back for another season. Ill be sure to get a competition up and running shortly.

Keen here too.

Thanks for organizing it valleys.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who wins the flag?

Which is potentially a huge disadvantage to whoever plays them in the Qualifying. Imagine if Port win by 5 points, then have half a side next week and the Eagles flog them whilst the QF loser faces being bundled out in straight sets, which could be a quality side that only just missed the double chance. And of course the integrity's not compromised :roll:

FWIW I think Norwood still just have an edge over the Eagles if they can get close to their full side on the park.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

What was the crowd yesterday compared to recent years?

I remember 2006/2007 crowds of 22k+ turning up at AO to these double headers.

2008 Norwood v Sturt, Glenelg v Centrals.
Previous week about 15k for Port/Nwd and Centrals/Sturt, then 13k for Glenelg/Sturt prelim, then for some reason decided to play finals at Footy Park, and there was a recognisable drop-off for the minor finals.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Spargo wrote:I'm looking forward to popping my 127 Days cherry next week.
Hopefully pick the right day and don't see that arse-clown HH3 there.

I did today.
Bad Mutha Trucka Burger and Cajun Fries.
Be back for sure.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

I was going to wait a few weeks before I had that whinge FE, and also not sure how it exactly works with what may be offered by the American stations.

Seems to be only a handful of the big name teams regularly on 7 mate. Can appreciate them showing the best teams, so over the last few years can accept the Vikings not being shown, but not behind the 49ers or Giants this year. Miami are probably another example. One that pisses me off is showing GB at San Franscisco whilst at the same time Vikings are at Denver (another team that, understandably, they haven't been shy in showing over the last few years).

Just read though, that 7 Mate are going to show every San Fransisco game. For what? For what may be half-a-dozen plays a game?
Though I wonder if they'll show the first week Monday night game, Vikings play at San Franscisco, given they don't normally show Monday night games
by FlyingHigh
Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: guess what

Don't confuse criticism with hate. I was critical of them in 2012-13 because their game plan wasn't giving them the best chance with the talent they had. Norwood may have had a defensive style in those years, but didn't have the forward power depth IMO.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rule Changes for 2016

Q. wrote:Rotation cap = fatigue

Fatigue = turnovers

Turnovers = shit footy

And then more likely to skew a kick out of bounds.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA v WA Shield

Same here.
Was actually watching it on Channel 9 when it happened, so must have been around school holidays.
Do really miss the coverage Channel 9 used to give the Shield, full days at times, 1/2 hour after an eastern states test, during lunch breaks.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

But by the third umpire looking at every ball, it may improve the on-field decision.

Guess the thing is if they're missing so many no balls that wickets are falling on, then how many other no balls are being missed, and this is unfair on the batting side re their score and what might happen on the extra ball, but also on the bowler if they aren't aware they are just creeping over to be able to amend it before a wicket falls and only that one is reviewed and called
by FlyingHigh
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

Gotta preface this by saying I didn't see any of it on telly and only going by the scorecards - it was good Joe Burns made a true test ton (rather than the slog his first was and then against the WI rabble) and play a couple of important innings based on the game's circumstances.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

Wrong thread...bad luck

Watching Footy Classified for the first time in years.
It appears that Hutchy is even more of a wanker now then he has in the past.....

He is the only reason I Don't watch it. Oh and probably Lloyd too.
And Caro, **** cant watch that stuff.

I've been watching Talking Footy on Mondays with Darcy, Carey and Watson. I quite like it. Get around it if you haven't already

Not great characters, a little bit wooden, but very good talking about the footy.

Yeah, Hutchy has to go. I don't mind Caro, whether you agree with her or not, what she says and reports at least deserves listening to, unlike so many others who because they are male and because they are Victorian think they know everything about footy and are full of themselves without ever having played at a high level. Right from the start Caro said the Essendon thing would end up like it did.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

I've sort of been on the opposite side of that ng and whufc.
Played a's all year, including 2nd semi, except for 3 or 4 b's about a third into the season. Dropped for gf (right call btw). Was presented a medal in front of everyone back at the club, but, while the club was trying to do a nice thing, it felt gratuitous and therefore meaningless.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

IF the game of cricket is to be looked at, in addition to the safety aspect, should be the way it is taught coached and encouraged to be played. As Gideon Haigh said on Offsiders the weekend after, with helmets, big bats, placid pitches and short boundaries, batsmen have been able to think they can play with virtually complete impunity. Hughes feet seemed to be nowhere, and all around the world we see half-arsed batsmen who wouldn't make it at Shield level on the front foot swiping their bats around their ears.
IF the game of cricket is to be looked at, this is what this trial should be considering but I feel it is going to come back as an attack on bouncers and sledging, which is what would placate the general public who don't understand cricket but read the sensationalist articles that appear from time to time.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Saca members would be right to feel aggrieved but it's the whole setup that is becoming a joke.

Non-cricket and non-sport fans must wonder how much value is placed on the Australian team when they'll hear about an Australian team playing 20-20 one day and then a team representing supposedly the same starting a test overseas the next. Or even,and i don't know the schedule, two australian teams, both called Australia not Australia A, potentially playing a 20-20 here and a warmup game in India at the same time.

Test starts in 12 days time and there have been no shield games.

How about all those south africans who bought tickets and we sent over a pop-gun attack. Imagine if a country sent a team like that out here, there'd be a huge whinge.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

Dare I say Lehmann might almost be ahead of him, he has proved he can go on with it in a variety of circumstances (not that i think he is a genuine chance to be picked.)

Chris Rogers raised a valid point on the Test coverage that he picked up in his county stint with Yorkshire when he made a hundred against Somerset. Jake struggles against spin . But will murder the quicks.

Isn't that a pre-requisite these days? ;)
by FlyingHigh
Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Maybe I've missed something, but it seems as though players at bat-pad are ducking their heads rather than turning away. Is there a reason for this? I would have thought it would have been more dangerous.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hawthorn 2017

$600k for 5 touches a game. Lucky he hasn't got long to go on his contract.

Oh wait[emoji3]

Lobbe, Vickery and Jenkins all in the state leagues on the weekend.

$400k, $500k, $600k.

It would have seemed so.
But Vickery didn't.
Apparently.

Vickery played AFL, had 5 touches.

What I thought both you and I meant were that no one would have have known he did.
by FlyingHigh
Mon May 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 12

Have I woken up in some sort of alternative universe or organised setup?
Nankervis plays for Richmond.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13

Can't blame them for feeling out of kilter having people cheering without the pa telling them too
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Cricket losing its appeal to the general public.

Remember watching Ian Healy hit the 6 to win at Port Elizabeth around '97, pretty sure was on Ch 7, but can't remember watching much of the rest of that series, so perhaps it was only on the weekends?
Used to love watching the Domestic one-dayers at the start of a season when they were weekend day games on Ch 9 in October and November as a lead-in to the "bigger" cricket, and then later in the season when the semis and finals were on.
Channel 9 love having cricket in timeslots that suits the eastern states audience, including the day-night tests, so if they've got three channels now, why don't they try to show Aussie tests from the sub-continent which would suit this perfectly?

Regarding ODI's, as Gideon Haigh said after the last World Cup, when there is something legitimate on the end of it and teams send their best sides, ODI is still a entertaining, valid form of cricket. Unfortunately these two things don't happen often enough, and I often find myself looking forward to watching the ones during the Australian summer but then interest wanes during them.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not arguing that the actual games don't deserve top billing on the news, it's the comparatively unimportant other sht!t that gets high a priority, and a main reason why I very rarely watch the 7 or 9 news or follow a South Australian AFL club.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

Been watching a few of these on Youtube lately, including some of the older ones.
The Jim Jess and Platten ones were great and the Brereton one was good, hearing about a few things I didn't know.
Also enjoyed the Phil Carman one, especially when he said his best moment in footy was the first Sturt win in 96 after going winless the previous season and just to see what it meant to all the people involved with the club.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see a Garry McIntosh, Barrie Robran and Stephen Michael episode
by FlyingHigh
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The line trotted out by Rucci and some of the others is that the sky hasn't fallen in because neither the crows or the power 2's have won a flag yet. However:
This is the second gf in four years port have been in.
Three of the four years one of the teams have made at least the prelim final.
Peel won the wafl flag last year and are about to make another gf by beating subi even though subi were 19-1 and peel 12-8 during the season.
This will be the third year on four one of the 2's sides have made the gf over there, with East Perth in 2014.
East Perth also finished third in 2015.
Peel have made the finals every year, east perth the first three but not this year
by FlyingHigh
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Handshake and kiss/hug?

The Bedge wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Also, a no-no to blokes hugging each other like on telly when they meet or for trivial things or after a run-of-the-mill sport win or where they're not really close mates. Okay for a special occasion, wedding, funeral, GF, etc.

Aww i love hugs haha!

:YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Don't tell anyone
by FlyingHigh
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hall of Fame 2017

Not talking about football ability Dutchy?
by FlyingHigh
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Grand Final

Know this is a bit late, but congrats to Sturt. Two great efforts over the couple years.

Kirkwood, just in awe of how hard he worked. Even in the last ball up deep in Sturts forward line, there he was.

Interesting to compare Beard and Eddy, because I thought Beard had an out-of-sorts ordinary day (perhaps the wind made it hard for forwards?) but he willed himself to make a difference when he could - mark and goal then a htb in the first quarter, tackle on the wing in the last, drawing the two free kicks for the last goal and right at the end.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did you stumble across safooty.net?

Yeah, guess most of us don't see that side of it Wedgie. Do remember it getting a bit antsy in the politics threads.

Wasn't the running sheet JK, was a subheading with longer, more indpeth football stories moreso than discussion such as how you came to barrack for your club.

Ironically, I think the same poster was responsible for both.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |