Search found 136 matches

Return

Re: Australia Domestic Season 2017/18

The new fake fielding rule was applied today, Queensland penalized 5 runs

I like it.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS addition to the Laws of cricket. :roll:
Just cant see any logic to it at all.
Cricket is a competitive sport and deception is a key tactic to attaining an edge over the opposition as it is in most sports.
I cant understand how anyone even thought this was an issue to start with the bring in such a law?
I cant recall anyone being Run Out because of it and if there has been the batsmen only have themselves to blame surely.
Ive perhaps seen a few occasions where batsmen may not have run due to it but thats credit to the fielding team surely?

Maybe im missing something here? Could someone please enlighten me if i am?
Not a big fan of the penalty runs. Maybe like the AFL a fine and third time suspended for a game(s).
by FlyingHigh
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2017/18

Ordinary luck for the Texans, they've have had a shocking run with Watt and Clowney.

Monday Night Football sounds like one for the ages, 3-2 half time, Bears with a safety, Vikings with a Field goal starting with a Bears fumble.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Agree with the posters above about how Australia Day seems to have become jingo-fied, as Magellan put it, over the last 10-15 years. As a kid in the '80's I can't really recall too much happening other than it being mentioned, and then in the 90's it seemed to be celebrated more without being over the top, but now there is a lot, not all, that goes on that is cringeworthy boorishness or worse. This takes the gloss off the awards, particularly at a local community level, people who are being recognised for doing special things in their own quiet way, and probably don't want to be caught in the debate on one side or the other.

As I said on another thread, I first thought this was being stirred up by people not directly affected looking for another cause, but after a visit to the National Treasures at the Library in Canberra, one of the pieces was for a flyer advertising a rally in 1938 (150 years) protesting about it, so it is not new and caused me to change my thoughts to be accepting of a date change.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2017/2018

Its hard to fully invest in a squad that has so few locals and in a game that can be dominated by players who don't have the mental toughness and courage to succeed at Test level.
But it provides tv viewing during low ratings season. And captures the 6yos interest. And there are always a couple of up and comers who get national attention... on this occasion Short Weatherald and Jye Richardson.
I see them as the equivalent of preseason cups in footy. Interesting to watch but results forgotten very quickly.

This for some of the imports, and in some instances add "the skill not to play at first class level" for some of the locals.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Bit of excitement from the Mt Torrens/Rose Park match saintal?
by FlyingHigh
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds like a crap day

How does anyone leave their keys in the ignition?

Got me f***ed as well , it's going to be a very quiet night if I get home.

EFA

Luckily the RAA only took 20min, top bloke, got it sorted. I'm biting my tongue at home, the missus knows my mood is as black as a dogs guts.

With all the yank wank around at least the whole episode has got you using two good ol Aussie colloquialisms.

Now I'm off to see a man about a dog.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Another great article by the much respected author Martin Flanagan about the AFL and Australian Rules Football in general, using North Hobart as the example. Worth a read.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-the-afl-in-tasmania-20180412-p4z9as.html

Good article. Particularly like how Martin makes a case for how different our culture and structure is to USA football.

Our game has only two levels – the AFL and grass roots. If Australian football dies at the grass roots, so will the game.

Unfortunately we had an opportunity to have a decent semi professional level and for a while in the noughties it looked possible. Seems like a pipe dream now.

I know it's been said here numerous time, but you would have thought vibrant mid-range leagues drawing 4-5000 on average in WA and SA (maybe a few less in Tassie) would have been a part of a sport that wanted complete market domination. Instead the AFL wanted complete AFL domination and saw the reasonable success of the SANFL in the 90's and 00's as a threat.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scoring averages from 1991 onwards

So you guys prefer to see no defence, just free/high scoring/bruise free games?

No, I enjoy seeing good play by a defender. Heck, aside from one season, would have spent 95%+ of my junior and senior footy in the backlines.

What I don't like is a defensive mindset from the start and defensive "structures". But it is not my beef in just footy, all sport that becomes professional, besides test cricket, has lost some of it's charm by overanalysis and the emphasis on not losing.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here's one from last weekend.
A St Kilda assistant coach is also the Frankston VFL head coach. Sandringham (St Kilda's affiliate) played Frankston last weekend, Jack Billings dropped from the St KIlda seniors is allowed to run around and get 53 disposals.
Absolute joke the AFL and VFL as governing bodies would allow to sign off on this. Time to wind up the second tier WAFL, SANFL and VFL competitions.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Alistair Cook pulls the pin on International Cricket. Available for Essex until he's 47 though ;) I've always found it hard to watch him bat as he's not very easy on the eye but he will be very hard to replace. Struggled of late, averaged 18.62 in 2018 but has a brilliant record, been the backbone of English cricket for a decade.

In this era of anyone getting paid a million bucks for being able to hit a 35mt six, I actually really enjoyed watching him bat. Knew his skills, limitations and role for the team, made runs pretty much all over the world, and seemed like a pretty solid, respectable person, even if that type of personality meant he lacked a little flair as a captain.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trade + Draft Period 2018

Slightly off topic, but still concerning the Gold Coast basket case, I reckon one of the first things they should be aiming to do is really build up the local derby matches. Hard to do these days, but a "line in the sand" type game might start some interest. The Derby and the Showdown probably wouldn't have needed it, but the physical clashes, particularly in the early years, certainly helped build the rivalry and interest.

There was a little spice in their last encounter I believe.

I've posted on here before that I believe every team should get on Friday night game as their right for being part of the competition. Make theirs a Q-Clash early in the year, either Round 1 the day after the Carlton/Richmond opening or perhaps Anzac Day weekend (depending when it falls and the relation to other footy).
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

Psyber wrote:I'd favour cacelling any scores by North in that period. It is their responsibility to get their player management right regardless of technical and procedural debate above.

What happens if they were defending the lead and didn't/not try to score? How do you quantify that?
by FlyingHigh
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

I don't get why everyone is saying the captain calling for the count is an antiquated rule. There are more eyes on the game and easier to get a message out these days to him. A field umpire isn't going to listen to a runner pestering him.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

I reckon some of the comments by the media "experts" have been just as embarrassing. "The league has lost credibility". Huh? Because it stuck to the laws of the game?
by FlyingHigh
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Sayers out injured. Worrall in.

Pope to play. He's young/raw but the best available. Valente out.

McInerney dropped for Smith.

Then someone in for Cooper to bat at 6 - Jake Winter, Brad Davis, John Dalton... anyone. Tom Kelly even.

Also Lehmann to go back to 5, Head and Ferguson 3 & 4.

Apart from that unchanged :roll:

Kelly has not even made a 1st Grade century, no chance.

Dalton been horribly out of form all year, century in One day GF very overdue.

Davis and Winter both failed in last Second X1 game.

Not many options.

Signing Patrick Page Jnr to three year deal when only 16 contracts available another Nielsen stuff up!

Bet they stick with the same six, Siddons has too much faith.

And they way he talked about Pope and the Dukes ball, can't see him playing, especially at WACA.

Now, maybe I'll get caught out with examples, but it seems over the years we throw a lot of grade cricketers straight into the fire, into the top three. The best will handle it, but it seems we burn through a few, and perhaps we should tack a different tack and try easing them in at six and expect more responsibility from teh senior players.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:I do a bit when someone sends me an internal email that they've done a small task for us, but not as my signature.

I hate it when people address an email to me with Hi.

Do you prefer High or Mr High?

:D

Highness please
by FlyingHigh
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

TVCA Grand Finals:

Palmer v Gumeracha @ Birdwood
Gumeracha v Paracombe @ Mt Torrens

Semis were abandoned. Very hollow way for Lenswood, Cambrai (both grades) and Eden Valley to end their season.

My care factor is quite low for the GF results. All 3 clubs have had plenty of success over the past half a dozen seasons. If I had to tip winners I'd go Palmer and Gumeracha (b's).

Looks like a cracking final round coming up in the AEHCA.

Tough break saintal. If they beat you on the day, so be it, but to not get a crack sucks. The three affect clubs have all battled their way up in that time too.
Guess the other problem in setting a TVCA heat rule is 40 (?) in Adelaide is a playable 37-38 in some areas but Palmer, Cambrai could be 43.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Yeah, it's also an AFL guideline but I think leagues can get around it. There are some country leagues that have 3 year ages gaps currently due to lack of numbers. Kids are having to fill in for older age groups now anyway because clubs can't fill teams. Some clubs will have 4 year age gaps if they have senior colts & mini colts teams but no junior colts.
I thought there was an SA country league a while ago that had a 4 year age gap, the young players had to wear yellow armbands, be matched up with an opposition yellow armband & the older players weren't allowed to tackle them (only smothering).

That may have been the Mid West League and related to kids playing B Grade, as they were having kids as young as 13 playing B Grade (their colts is u/16's but it is common for kids around 10 to play). Definitely yellow armbands and couldn't be tackled, don't know about having to line up on each other, but I reckon that probably would have happened anyway rather than win-at all-costs.
My nephew plays in an EP league that still has 14's and 17's, and from what I can understand, as a 7yo he can dress and sit on the bench for u/14's, which he'd be excited to do, and next year is allowed to play u/14's. If that's not right, it's a year older.
There are advantages for older kids to play with younger ones as it can teach them leadership, empathy, what it takes to be a club, and not give them a sense of entitlement ie that the club exists for them just because they are lucky enough to play in a league with sufficient kids around their age.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

The AFL is losing me.......

We'd lost to Collingwood by 138 points and Hawthorn the following week by 165 points just 3 weeks earlier

Bringing back these days may get more people watching. :-BD

Nah, seriously, great post, and I concur with all your post and the other posters.
Sometimes I wondered whether, not following an AFL team, whether it was just me who was turning off because I wasn't as invested. It's probably been half-a-dozen years since I've been able to consistently sit down and watch full games. These days it's maybe half-a-dozen at most during the year and the finals. However, plenty of others are saying the same if their team's not involved.

Regarding the rules, I reckon right back to the mid-90's when they changed the time-on and went to 20 minute quarters, there has only been two worthwhile rule changes - the protection of the head & the hands in the back (not that I agreed with it but could see the logic in simplifying it for the umpires). Aside from that, I reckon you could make an argument that the game would be no worse off if they hadn't made those changes.

And last week Dwayne Russell wrote that increasing a mark to 20 metres is needed to stop the chipping and congestion. I would argue the opposite. Change it back to ten, then players will be forced to come closer to the kicker to man-up, creating more space down the ground.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Obscure trivia

Cronulla lost to Brisbane in the NRL yesterday and apparently it's the first time an NRL/NSWRL side has lost three consecutive games despite scoring more tries than their opponents in each.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ODI World Cup 2019

The great thing everyone seems to have appreciated about the World Cup is there has been a real contest, it didn't become 20-20 cricket extended over 50 overs - some big runs were scored, other times bowling and low scoring created great games.

But it was decided by two playing conditions introduced specifically for the limitations of 20-20 cricket, and not considering one-day cricket is more diverse.

That's just not right.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Ashes 2019

Umpiring for rest of series.
2nd Test
Aleem Dar and Gaffaney
3rd is
Gaffeney and Wilson
4th
Palliyaguruge and Erasmus
5th
Erasmus and Dharmasena

Wonder if Wilson will be replaced?

Do the international umpires get the chance to prepare by doing a first-class game at these grounds with local umpires who can assist them with local conditions? Why just come in for one test? They seem to be on a hiding to nothing with the current set-up.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 21 - Spicy Corona Curry Round

Far be it from me to want to defend Port, but the supposedly biggest club playing the oldest club drew only 31k
by FlyingHigh
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.
The reality is that Australia desparately needs a quality allrounder. They are not getting any runs from their keeper and they need a 5th bowler for some variety. I agree that you don't play an allrounder just for the sake of it .... they have to be good enough.

Every team needs a quality allrounder, just like a quality Centre half forward, but you can play around them if you don't.

Been saying for years we need a gambling medium-pacer to bowl those 2-3 over spells, 6-8 an innings depending on how the game is going - Dougie Walters, Mark Waugh, Greg Blewett, Andrew Symonds, even Shane Watson towards the end of his career. Mitchell Marsh's bowling is perfect for the role, shame his batting isn't.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL 2019-2020 Season

Jimmy_041 wrote:I’ll set it up

Is that tipping Jimmy? Count me in please.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

How about when Gum last beat the Brookers in a final? Has it ever happened? Early 70's?

Could be a first :shock: Albeit meetings in the major round would have been rare since KFC joined the HFL in 71.
I heard 25 years.

I've heard it could have been the first now LM. Certainly didn't happen 25 years ago ;)

26 ;)
by FlyingHigh
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To give Wade his dues, he batted very well last night, just what was needed in the circumstances.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Test Championship part of it certainly makes the game and selection more interesting.
I thought with the amount they bowled Cummins yesterday, they had decided to go for broke and he would win this game for them and then have a rest.
If there is something on the line, will be a good challenge for Pattinson and Starc to step up.
Agree about Marsh, I think they'll find a way to give him a game and take some pressure off the bowlers.
I hope they don't open with Labushagne just because he is a right-hander.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Australia's over rate was a disgrace.
82 over in 6.5 hours, no weather interruptions, not extreme heat, no significant injury interruptions and not being belted all over the park.
All countires do it, ICC are gutless
by FlyingHigh
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the start of the over when the fielding team is ready to bowl let them, if the batsman isn't ready stiff biccies, I bet the glove changes happen a lot quicker. That fixes one of the issues. Now all other blame can be put on the fielding team. They are already given an extra 30 minutes to allow for DRS etc etc, the overs are meant to be bowled in 6 hours not 6 and half. Automatic one game suspension for the Captain and anyone who bowled that innings, no exceptions.

Yeah, I'd agree with all that except I'd give the bowlers a first warning that would stay with them for two years and if they are involved with a team that has another breach then they are suspended for a game.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 AFL Grand Final - Richmond v GWS

You are a deadset Fkwit Razor Ray.
Soldo drop the ball play-on, Greene to high put your whistle to the mouth but play on, Pickett misses with the handball, play-on, Tomlison handballs, HTB .
by FlyingHigh
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 AFL Grand Final - Richmond v GWS

Reiwoldt allowed to get away with what he got a free for earlier in the quarter - goals both times.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

From what i could make out it was a draw with last batsmen 16yo McKenzie Best having to face out a last-ball hat-trick (and he got a golden in the first dig)
by FlyingHigh
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019/20 Australian International summer

1/312, Warner and Labuschage cashing in and Pakistan are not even looking like getting another wicket, goes to show how bad they batted in the first innings.

Spewing for Burns, fell just short of consecutive test match centuries. That innings bumps his test match average up to 42.06, it was 40.10 before today.
Marcus Harris averages 24.06 and Cameron Bancroft 26.23.
Starc's 4 fa took him to 219 test wickets and above Clarrie Grimmett into 13th place on the most test match wickets for Australia list.

I like Burns but do think his stats have been padded by innings against lesser attacks. I also think he has been treated a bit ordinarily at times by selectors to be given a chance to fully prove himself. HIs innings against Pakistan, even if on an easy pitch, far outweighed his against Sri Lanka inury-hit pitifully weak attack.

Harris was admirable last year against India given the circumstances and who he was opening with but unfortunately can't argue against his results in England.

Renshaw is still the one I think the selectors have fked around. Pretty good starts against SA and Pak, and then our best batsman in the tough environs of India, only to be forced into a bat-off leading into the Australian Ashes.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019/20 Australian International summer

Congrats to Labuschagne.

Sure, easy pitch and easy situation, but he finally deserved those circumstances given all the times so far in his career, including before the Ashes, where he came in when we were in trouble (which is why he would have been in my Ashes team from the start)
by FlyingHigh
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

batmanbegins wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Can’t believe Smith got sucked in to that garbage

He might not look much but wagner has a wonderful record. Full credit to the bloke.

He seems to bowl a "quick" 130km's, like McGrath and Broad, whilst also being their workhorse.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Smith to ton up with a strike rate of better than 50%. The bloke is a batting genius.

.......watch him get out next ball.

I can’t stand watching him bat.
Something bout him.

Great player nonetheless but I find him boring.

Not sure if this is the right phrase, but it seems that with the attention over his mannerisms, he's almost become a parody of himself since the middle of the Ashes
by FlyingHigh
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2018/2019

Sorry Jimmy and Jonno, paid now
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAFooty Season 2020 AFL Drinking Game

gadj1976 wrote:Not sure it should be a shot or a round.

Whenever anyone from AFL media call the sport "AFL" instead of Aussie Rules.

A shot.

Through the head.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

A couple of thoughts and queries

While there are going to be bad luck stories everywhere, including some described on here, the one group I feel sorry for are those in there 70's and 80's who are currently still active, and get through corona-virus, but next year get sick and pass away from the normal causes of people that age do. I feel sorry that this is how they have had to spend what turns out to be their last year.

Second, if people are looking for work, can the government and petrol stations come to some agreement about a pay level below Award that would supplement the Newstart and have people pump petrol so not everyone is touching the pumps? Obviously have to be a special deal, because don't want all other businesses and industries undermining wage levels.

Is there any data on how many people within same families are catching this? There was one Italian family where an elderly parent and three middle-aged children died. When couples and families are sharing beds or enclosed spaces like cars?

At what point does inflation become a real problem, and combined with desparateness, and maybe bordeom, will lead to some of the mass anarchy or individual crimes we have seen in some of the less-well-off countries over the years?

=P~ =P~

I'm sure we could come to some reciprocal arrangement

Do you want me to fill you up?

DB48C982-0D35-4517-8B46-77BE91815A49.jpeg
by FlyingHigh
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The AFL in SA is going to have a real issue to get back to where it was after we return to normal business and citizen conditions. Besides the crows grand final year, attendance has declined each year since the 2014 Adelaide Oval development. Power similar, although crowds tanked in 2016 but recovered an average 2000 in 18 and 19 but still well below 2014. So the honeymoon period is over and the only way to make more money was to price gouge food and drink for the poor sods who attend the games.

As for the current pandemic, Dangerfields representation of the players demands is a bloody bad look no matter the context, and it will take a long time for the pubic to forget. North Melbourne players having the police called out due to noise complaints after they celebrate their win during a period of real heightened public anguish (or panic) is another incident that will take a while to forget. Articles such as this are appearing https://www.smh.com.au/sport/sport-can-be-truly-enriching-and-rewarding-again-just-not-with-money-20200326-p54ect.html (Cue Ben Hook on 891 Drive making similar observations) and it is not hard to imagine there will be a good couple of years of genuine economic hardship where there will be an expectation that professional sportsmen play for a pittance of current salaries. Will the general population look at high paid sports people in the same way. I hope not, surely after an event such as this we will realise that the most important thing we have has been staring us in the face the whole time, COMMUNITY. AFL teams, particularly in SA do not represent our community.

SANFL needs to market its product as "Lets get back to basics and support your community, SANFL clubs = Community." They need to show the lads who are studying, tradesmen, labourers etc and then show them playing. Professional sports needs to be shown for what it is, shallow commercialisation of a game that we all love. Sure it produces a spectacle, but is also produces a guy like Dangerfield who represents a body of players that will try and screw the sport for as much as possible.

It really depends on how long this virus is around, how long and deep economic hardship is, and how quickly the AFL try to return as closely as possible to the glory days. Whilst I would love to see the game played for the sake of the game again, around packed suburban ovals, that really is schadenfreude.

Misrepresent that comment as much as you like, I take no pleasure in the current situation and will derive no satisfaction in any organisation suffering. My club has closed its doors and after years of hard fought gains it is now going to be a close thing to survive. What I would like to see is a return to community values as opposed to the selfishness currently being displayed by the AFL players association.

My comment about schadenfreude I was trying to direct at myself. I apologise if it came over as me having a go at you.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

Why run, they have his smashed car so they know who was driving? Clearly more involved and was probably wanted on other accounts

Adrenaline, fear, shock, panic, alcohol, drugs all make people do weird things.

Yet has the presence of mind to take photos and post on Facebook?

Im not sure thats presence of mind.....thats insanity, thats mental instability.

Even when you're not high on drugs or been pulled over by the cops or just witnessed a tragic accident
by FlyingHigh
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you reading now?

https://kbimages1-a.akamaihd.net/89b1ff11-bdcd-4dc3-ab09-2ceaff6d0f66/353/569/90/False/friday-night-lights-25th-anniversary-edition-2.jpg

Read this recently. Very good.
One of the reviews on the cover used the word "disturbing" to describe it, and I thought "Huh? It's only a book about teenage sport".
But having read it, it certainly was - the pressure on, and privilege allowed to, these kids so young and where some of them ended up which the author was able to revisit in the 25th anniversary extra material.
Also made me realise how lucky we are in Australia to be able to play competitive amateur sport as adults whereas for most of these kids it was the highlight and end of their careers and they hadn't even finished high school. Wish I had have read it in my mid-20's when I at times I wasn't playing as good footy as I would have liked.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

Stumps day four, both SA and NSW hang on for draws.

SA second innings 5/347
Head 171* (Had some luck but real important he stood up today to save the match for SA and tune up for his future international duties this summer)
Scott 40*
Bird 2/53

NSW second innings 2/107
Larkin 33*

So test incumbents Labuschagne, Head and Paine all with a century early in the Shield season with Neser, Agar and our one to watch Green all with one too are all possibilities to be in the test squad.

Bit late on this, but I've been critical of Head for getting out when set, and he deserves plenty of praise here.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grumpy old man post

Sports evolve, they always have and always will but what will cricket of the future, at all levels, look like?
To make an aligned yet non-cricketing point (or rant), the 'evolution' of sport is a phrase too easily thrown around to justify changes or reasons to resist addressing things that require reform. The word 'evolution' suggest a degree of refinement or improvement, like in Darwin's theory.

The pro-defensive changes in AFL footy (and Aussie rules, in general) that have incrementally occurred through coaching innovations over the last couple of decades is often justified in these terms. However, on no rational basis could you say that a fast, attacking, free-flowing game without an offside rule as it had developed up to the mid-to-late 1990s has gotten any better since. Apparently, full-forwards kicking 50-odd goals in 22 games or half-time scores that resemble a soccer match is evidence of 'evolution'.

I'd say T20 has promoted an approach to cricket where the advantage is weighed so heavily in favour of the batsman (e.g. permitting reverse/switch hitting, which I think is bullshit) that I don't know why you'd ever aspire to be a bowler in that format. Footy, of course, has gone in the opposite direction, favoring defense over attack.
Cricket is dying in the community, kids numbers are down, senior numbers are down, the standard is far inferior to what it once was, the game needed to evolve to attract a new audience and new participation levels, about the only facet that has not gone south is the participation levels of women/girls, pretty much same as football.

Looking at the B Grade district comp it looks as though I'd still go alright, 20+ years ago there were bowlers with genuine pace getting around in the C Grade and competition for spots were difficult, now it's a far cry from what it used to be.

As for community cricket, the PDCA for instance has fallen tenfold, Grade 1 is still a decent standard but seeing some of the names getting around in
Grade 2 is concerning, a lot of these guys are my age and were Grade 5 players at best 10 years ago, 15 years ago Grade 5 and 6 were very competitive and made up of mostly B Grade teams.

People don't have the time nowadays to spend 80 overs on an oval, the quick game is attractive to watch for the non-traditional cricket enthusiast, it is exciting, the game has come a long way and the test match still has it's place in the game, 15 years ago no one would've thought of diving over the line to tap the ball back to a team mate for him to catch.

Everything is sanitized now, football, cricket, pretty much life in general.

Yeah standard is rubbish all over the state and not getting any better.

In the last 5 years I have found myself playing in 3 different competitions (PDCA, Stanley & Northern Areas) and the standard has dropped so much its not funny. My last year in div 2 PDCA as a 34 year old I averaged 55 with the bat, I was lucky to hit 55 runs in the whole season 15 years ago. Every team had minimum 2 genuine quicks and at least one gun medium pace bowler.

The country cricket comps I have played in the last few years are detoriating at knots. Each team has 1-2 absolute jet 35-40 year olds who played much higher level cricket and then a few consistent 30-35 year olds. In my three years I have probably seen less than 5 bats under the age of 21 who I believe could even get close to making it in a d grade district side.

Towns like Clare can barely fill a team and are forfeiting 2 matches a season. Northern Areas comp is struggling as well. Barely any team has 11 players ready to go on a Thursday night and most of the other teams are filling spots 10 & 11 with 10 and 11 year old kids just so their town still has a team.

All games are one dayers on massive ovals so kids 15-17 generally struggle as they simply don't have the strength to hit boundaries and don't have the time to build a really good score finding 1's & 2's, especially once you cut a couple of their strengths off. No wonder so many kids drop out up here when hitting a score of 30 is considered a highlight.

I'm not sure how cricket solves their issues. One of the big issues we face with cricket up here in the north is the rise of paid country footballers. Most clubs have started their pre seasons already and are training twice a week. Between footy training being compulsory because they are paid, work commitments from harvest, cricket comes in about tenth of the priority list. It's also not uncommon to hear players not wanting to play cricket because they give so much back to the footy clubs these days in winter.

I feel for cricket to grow we really need that divide in seasons but how could you ever convince football clubs on this.

Agree that footy has encroached at this level. Two weekends between seasons it's not much of a break, usually a time for weddings and three-day-hangovers, doesn't leave much time to recharge and weigh you down after a few seasons, particularly in the country where you usually have volunteer duties as well as playing. That Div 2 teams in the Hills start training by now is just ridiculous.

When cricket was at it's peak in the early 2000's there, I felt CA were arrogantly thinking everything was going along swimmingly and didn't invest much into grassroots, ie country and lower suburban cricket, whereas the AFL have done it better.

Our parents generation were more likely to have manual jobs, especially if you were a farmer, so running around on 30-35+ degree day was nothing, a welcome diversion. Kids these days, driven by our generation, can't do anything without airconditioning, can't be slightly uncomfortable.

From the little I've seen of the Big-Bash this year, the standard looks like utter tripe. Seriously, I reckon NSW and Vic Grade cricket in the 80's and 90's, when the Test players would still occasionally turn out, would be better, yet this is on our TV's every night.

The world would also do better to shut the shops after midday on the weekends, realise money and GDP isn't everything and economic growth is just a model - footy, cricket, other sports, church groups, arts, volunteers, etc etc would all benefit.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Shocking decision

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yep the noise was clearly after the ball left the bat, most likely the foot dragging on the ground

How can you reverse a decision conclusively if you don't have two red lights? It is inconsistent with the "umpires call" of LBW's, which I think works well.
Channel 7 had Simon Taufel on talking about redundancies and I didn't fully understand what he was saying, but it sounded like convoluted crap making it harder than it needs to be.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Had to get the lad to Glenelg Oval by 5:30pm yesterday, left work early to go collect him and then stopped home to get changed, I left Prospect at a tad before 4:30pm and got there a couple of minutes late, South Road is pure horse shit and will be for some time, yeah it's great having 19 lanes from Regency Road to past Grange Road but they all meet up and traffic doesn't move for God knows how long.

I was fortunate enough for someone to let me across so I could cut down Deacon Avenue to work my way to Marion Road then boom, another wall. Managed to get across to cut through Mooringie to get to Morphett which was bedlam trying to turn right again, the final kick in the nuts was eventually turning on to Brighton Road and seeing what was ahead.

Under normal circumstances I would've worked my way to Tapleys Hill Road, hindsight is wonderful.

I don't think I'll ever get to see the full advantage of the South Road upgrade.

This makes me appreciate my 25 min, 3 roads, 100km an hour for 90% of the way trip to work each day.

Length of time is perfect, allows me to get through 5-7 songs, enough to clear the head before seeing the fam. Can almost do the trip in auto pilot and plenty of easy/safe overtaking spots if I get caught behind some tourists. Wildlife can be a bit of a nightmare but touchwood haven't hit anything yet.....fingers crossed.

Don't reckon I could ever do a city commute to work ever again. Work is enough of a life struggle nevermind getting there and back being stressful. Sport is just as easy to travel to except some of the travel is an hour long.

This
Ive never lived in the city, this would be one of the main reasons not to . I drive from Angaston to Nuri for work, all of about 10 minutes and 7 or 8kms. However, the chance of a 5 second stop at the two lights is annoying. Generally i fuel up every 4 weeks, unless sport takes me to the shit hole of Gawler.

Same here.
Bad enough driving 5 minutes with a few intersections and a roundabout.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 10

Doesn’t a deliberate behind keep the game flowing and stop the congesting of play? Why the hell is this even still a rule? As for the deliberate ruling, just bring in last man touch by handball and foot and make it consistent.
Didn't the deliberate behind come in because one side (I wanna say Bulldogs or Richmond) exploited rushed behinds to maintain a lead and chew the clock down

Joel Bowden for Richmond.

The rule they brought in was a massive overreaction after he rushed a couple through following kick outs where he saw no options and was happy to milk the clock.

Could easily have been fixed simply by banning the deliberate rushed behind if the previous score was a rushed behind.

The other massive over-reaction was to make it a free kick in the goal square.
A bounce-down 15 or 20 metres out from goal would have been more commensurate with the "crime" and balanced for both sides all round
by FlyingHigh
Wed May 26, 2021 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

, side salad good 50/50 mix of lettuce and tomato, cucumber and olives. Nothing worse than all lettuce and no substance. $25

Amen. Nothing worse than a heap of lettuce mix, one cherry tomato or tomato wedge, and 4 matchsticks of carrots. Lose 2 marks straight away, just for the attitude to do this.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |