Search found 136 matches

Return

Re: Things that you rate!

September mornings - soft and light just after 6am.
Have to make the most of them because the morons that run this state deprive us of them in March.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Champ

Dutchy wrote:What is better Champ or Chief?

Chief can be okay depending on the inflection.
Champ, never. Like Booney said, for a 10 year old. A ruffle of the hair and well done Champ when they've just seen out the last overs of a C Grade game against the big fast opening bowler to help draw the game.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Nice, perfect day for blowing the cobwebs off.

exactly.

pity sunday wasnt quite as good, but got her out to palmer anyway for their hot rod street party. ended up with a good day out and had a bit of fun winding her out through the hills on the way home. was interesting with the bench seat :lol:

as an aside, if you are driving in the hills, and theres a 50 year old car behind you, obviously going faster than you, you are by definition in a "slow" car, and should therefore use the slow vehicle turnouts, and let those of us that are willing to get up to the speed limit do so. im looking at you black kia carnival....

As long as you're not an arrogant, entitled prick who doesn't acknowledge someone when they pull over (I don't drive a black Kia!!)
by FlyingHigh
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:Want to grab a dining voucher for a friend for Christmas (last year was Golden Boy so big shoes to fill) .. Anyone recommend somewhere tidy in the NE suburbs? TIA

https://sferas.com/

Never been there, but usually hear reasonable things about it and might be an option
by FlyingHigh
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

You honestly don’t believe Chappell is the best commentator

Deadset spends every broadcast whinging about modern cricket and how he was around in the good old days.

Adds no value whatsoever.

Spent most last test saying how bill Lawry once told him bowing around the wicket to left handers never worked. Spent the whole shift critiquing the English about it. when the statistician told him how many wickets broad had around the wicket to lefties his reply was that’s not what bill lawry reckons though.

Yup which says a lot about the others IMO

I will admit to getting tired about him going on about administrators.

And yeah I heard that Bill Lawry comment I thought he said with a bit levity as if to say oh well Bill may not be right.

Why I think Chappell is the best along with Maxwell and to lesser extent Gilchrist, Lane and Ponting is they make their commentary about the cricket and keep their tone even. They do start yelling and trying to create false ion and drama.

All IMO of course.

yeah agree about many bringing that false sense of intensity for sure. That's why I think Maxwell is still my favourite.

I'm a big fan of Dirk Nannes. I also liked Mark Nicholson and Bumble because they used emotive words rather than just a volume of noise to express the action.
I've enjoyed listening to Dirk Nannes aswell and in the past I've like Simon Katich on ABC, obviously now he's on 7 and I like him and Ponting together and Greg Blewett is good too IMO. All those guys have played recent enough to understand the modern game, they call it as they see it, never come with ridiculous calls that will ever happen, never go over the top when calling and never go on and on about something relatively minor.

Chappell has become an absolute f**king pain to listen to, constantly negative and raves on about the same minor thing for an extended period of time.

He's a real 'back in my day' type operator and your post about his Bill Lawry story is a perfect example.

Agree with most of this.

Unfortunately have to agree about Chappelli from what I've heard from him this year. Used to be must-listen-to thoughts on cricket, even though his delivery wasn't the greatest.

Greg Blewett is under-rated IMO. Keeps his words and manner simple and clear, whilst still insightful enough.
Nannes is good, Andrew Moore is pretty good, sounds like a Jim Maxwell clone to me but pulls it off.
Still rate Alison Mitchell really highly.
James Brayshaw still makes me want to punch the telly. In Adelaide was going on about how we might see Green's real talent like Sydney this year when we went for the tonk and got some cheap runs. No Green's real talent is he can bat sensibly/normally for long periods and make big scores like in the Shield, and has shown potential to do at Test level.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Whats the Covid situation in SAF, is their crowd restrictions.

If not cricket in SAF is in a real bad way, biggest test of the year, tiny crowd, team that is struggling. They seem to be going backwards at rapid knots.

Yeah, I wondered the same, and came across found an article, saying they have actually shut out crowds for the series, but some certain % of corporate suites or whatever can attend so the Board can meet their contractual obligations. Article and decision was only a few days out from the Test IIRC
by FlyingHigh
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

No wonder Vic Richardson told Ian Chappell not to captain like a Victorian.

What a bunch of gutless cowards.

Always have been a defensive and proctectionist society, yet for some reason we think we need to copy them in everything we do just because they are bigger.
by FlyingHigh
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shane Warne dead!

I've seen many videos of Warne's wickets over the past 3 days, Roblinda2 on YouTube has posted some good videos and Fox has has shown alot of footage as there's been some chat about that on here about it and it got me thinking, what's the favourite and most memorable Shane Warne wicket for everyone on here?

Mine is Warne bowling Kevin Pietersen around his legs (and hitting off stump) in England's second innings of the 2006 Ashes Test in Adelaide.

That KP wicket, after the way the first innings had gone, was Warne saying, nah I'm still the best.

My favourites are:
Robin Smith 1993 - a couple overs after the Gatting ball, nearly as good, Taylor caught it at slip, and that moment proved the 7/52 and the Gatting ball weren't one-offs.
Alec Stewart at the Gabba. A bit like Richie Richardson, set him up beautifully with a couple of balls to cut and then the flipper. Perfect example of why he always said singles, not boundaries, annoyed him.
Jacques Kallis 300th wicket. I still can't work out how he missed it.
Matthew Hoggard at Amazing Adelaide. Sitting side-on, seeing it come out higher, there was just a moment when it all seemed to pause and you knew something was going to happen.

A couple of other memories from the Masterclasses they do on English telly, and they showed these ones on Channel 9. The first over he'd bowl, rather than just hoping to get into rythym and land them like most leggies, he showed how he would bowl 3 or 4 slightly different basic legspinners to assess the pace, bounce and spin in a wicket and he'd know all that after just one over. On another he and Healy were on, two wickets where Warne beat the batsmen beautifully, but didn't mean much if Healy didn't make a couple of great stumpings.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 9

The worse thing about the De Goey one was, as a neutral, it sucked the life and interest out of the game.
Football, looking at the sport holistically, suffered for such a finicky decision.
by FlyingHigh
Sat May 14, 2022 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Gumeracha Hotel.

Still just a down-to-earth, unpretentious small town local. New owners have been there for a couple of years IIRC.

Unlike some other pubs which try to do overdo the fancy type of dishes and fail, they have got the right balance of basic pub grub menu with a few extras and embellishments which they pull off* well. Big, but not ridiculous sized meals with decent salad or veg.

Would you drive up from the city for it? Probably not
Would you call in if you were passing through at the right time? Definitely

Been there a couple times recently 9/10.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

I'm not even going to start, the anger I still feel 7 years on turns to rage in an instant.

I haven't had to encounter this with either miss 13, 11 or 4 but i feel like those kinds of scenarios would be the hardest to deal with as parent. Just thought of one of my children being bullied also turns from anger to rage in a second. I try and avoid getting into a stage of rage.....it never ends well either way.

Not being a parent, but an uncle to a few and knowing what they mean to me, just makes me feel so sad and sick that there's a chance they'll go through this. Especially as once you become an adult and go in your separate directions, you might not ever see these people again, you realise it means f*ck all in the greater scheme, yet as a kid you can let it affect your life so much. Luckily they don't go to suburban schools, so I think less likelihood, but you never know.
by FlyingHigh
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

There could be a difference between modernising Test cricket and the improvements we, as cricket lovers, would like to see.

Agree with Whuffer about the gloves, gadj about the 90 overs and AE about the breaks on an interrupted day.

Could we have a reserve Day 6. Not to make up for every 1/2 delay, but keep it simple so if a full session is lost, it is made up as such on Day 6.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How people change careers in their 30s?

Long story, short, my 14th year of teaching, and I've loved every bit up until the last few months, and starting to find that the enjoyment really is being sapped out of the profession. Extra admin jobs (ie inputting all behaviour incidents, even minor, on a daily basis, usually at 8.30pm after kids have gone to bed), being told 'how' to teach (ie have to follow crap lessons the Ed Dept have made that don't carter to all students), dealing with behaviour that I just have to shake my head at followed by dealing with parents who refuse to acknowledge their child could make a mistake, could go on. Wife has pulled me up a couple of times for snapping at my own kids over little things (I'm just 'kidded-out' by the end of the day). Just getting over it. The in-class stuff when I get to be myself in the way that I teach, build relationships and watch some kids grow is awesome. The rest, I feel done with. Debating whether to take some LSL for a re-fresh, or take it all and just not return.

Saw an ad for a job I felt I could do quite well, in a different field, but one I'm equally passionate about. A teaching degree clearly wasn't involved or needed, and the degree that was input as a 'desirable' I obviously don't have, but thought my passion for it could take me a long way. Wrote an application, but chickened out and didn't send it. Starting to get a bit of regret at not at least throwing my hat in the ring.

With a mortgage and two kids, re-studying for three-four years doesn't sound all that appealing when I feel I have skills that could be transferable. Just wanted to see if anyone else had changed industries and how they went about it.

Hey Pag, I've helped people do the same thing. I left a secure public service job to go contracting, which I've done for 23 years. I did have a mortgage at the time and purchased a property after a couple of years contracting. It's opened so many doors and opened my eyes to many various industries and the acquisition of many different skills I could never have imagined. It's seriously the best thing I ever did.

The one thing you should remember is that when someone puts an ad up on seek or whatever platform, they always want someone who can meet 100% of their needs. "Mr Ideal Applicant". If you meet 70-80%, throw your hat in the ring. What's the worst that can happen? Other people might only meet 50 or 60%! You just never know. If you don't get the gig, ask for feedback as to why.

The worst thing you can do is not put in an application. Trust me, went through the same thing last year.
If you get the job, you don't have to take it. If you don't get the job, at least you know one way or the other.
The uncertainty of what could have been because you didn't have a crack is the biggest regret and can gnaw away at you every moment if you're unhappy in your current job.

Being in the same job for a decade, it doesn't hurt to have the practice of an application/interview etc even if nothing comes of it.

gadj makes a good point. Many jobs I haven't applied for because of 1 or 2 criteria I don't think I'd meet, and it's such a stupid way of thinking because sometimes employers will alter the role slightly to accommodate other strengths. All the time I see people getting jobs and you think how the hell did he/she get that job.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 9

Zorro wrote:
Brodlach wrote:He reminds me of Adam Saliba

More Gary McIntosh I reckon.

I was thinking Clayton Lamb.
Half forward, reasonable height and build, long left-footer.
Can't recall how much Lamb used to get into the tough stuff though, which Pedlar seems to love.
by FlyingHigh
Mon May 15, 2023 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Black listed companies

Coles Prospect
by FlyingHigh
Fri May 26, 2023 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

Wow.
They are some huge balls Cummins has.
When Carey got out, 8 down, 55 needed and 20 overs left I thought we'd play out for a draw. But the way he attacked without doing anything reckless was an awesome effort and nerves of steel.

Bazball v the Aussies way? Either way, in the end quality will win out, which we saw with Root and Khawaja's batting and Lyon's bowling.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stokes starting to play sensibly, getting to close to victory and runs are drying up;
I sense a wicket very shortly

I don't sense that. Stokes is smartly running our bowlers into the ground.
Broad - FFS - over the wicket, couple of slips, bat-pad, keep him unsure.
Headingley was 9th wicket, all or nothing, and we got sucked in for a short period of play, today tactics have been disgraceful
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So if the ball is dead when it the keeper takes it cleanly, "stolen" byes like we often see in the white ball games are no longer permissible?

FWIW, seen the de Grandehomme dismissal and have no problems with that. The fielder had a legitimate ping at the stumps in the course of the live ball action, and, again, it is something we see numerous times every Test.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what’s the difference between ball 6 of the over or ball 2? Carey threw the ball in one motion as the caught the ball. There was no time between him taking the ball and throwing it.

The difference would be is that at ball 6 the ball is deemed dead when the umpire makes a verbal call rather than when the fielding team decides the ball is dead. Had the umpire of called dead which as I've said his physical actions may have 'dummied' Bairstow into thinking he had called over.

I think the umpire was right in not calling dead as Carey was moving in one action but i also think if the umpire has not called over he should be positioned in his normal position especially if a run is not being taken.

It was all just a bit messy.....no rules broken. Carey was smart and did it well.

For once the batter was trying to move the game forward and start the next over.

Perhaps the umpires could be a little smarter in not actually doing anything until they've looked around, made sure the ball is dead, and definitively called it. Many seem to hold up the palms of their hands.

Have been trying to find a view from behind, it all happened so quickly I'm not convinced Carey or Bairstow would have seen any definitive movement from the umpire.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:The "spirit of the game" discussion is an interesting one.

Do you think Duckett knew he was caught by Starc?

Absolutely he knew he was out

Fair chance considering he was half way to the boundary walking off.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Corona Man wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:The "spirit of the game" discussion is an interesting one.

Do you think Duckett knew he was caught by Starc?

Absolutely he knew he was out

Fair chance considering he was half way to the boundary walking off.

So we could have ran him out as well?

Yes ;)
As opposed to a stumping
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reported that Tongue and Anderson to be rested with Wood and Woakes coming in. Moen Ali to replace Pope with Brooks being pushed up to 3

Can't believe they'd play Woakes and Robinson ahead of Tongue from what he showed at Lords. They must be afraid Wood and Tongue together might leak too many runs, but they need to win and they have more chance of doing that with a bit of pace than three fast-medium bowlers. Robinson doesn't impress me much, looks like playing cricket is a chore when things are running against him.

Brook at 3, Bairstow 6 and Moeen 7 is a huge advantage for Australia IMO.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Never seen so much ******* horsesh!t.
Whose idea was it to go with these tactics again? No, they didn't win us the game at Lords, it almost cost us the game. Surely there is one person with a brain in the strategy group.
Any chance our right handers can bowl over the wicket to the lefthanders with a couple of slips? We've got Starc, but no, our righthanders come around the wicket and take away their and Starc's variation..
by FlyingHigh
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm a downwind stones throw from Westfield Marion and have no problems there although my 13 year old was in Food Locker the other day when those gangs went at it with knifes. Good times.
My wife got attacked in the car park at Marion a few weeks ago by some looney bitch, accused her of stealing her kids before lunging at her neck, drawing blood & leaving a crook old gash. Witnessed by my youngest daughter who’s only 10 - we’re still dealing with the fall out there. Same woman attacked an off duty copper moments later. Police took her away, they told my wife she’d only just got out on bail.
Hopefully a member of the magistrate’s family suffer the same trauma caused by this woman, they might then think twice before letting them back on the street.

Bloody hell. I was having a bit of a chuckle at this thread till this came along. Hope they're both recovering mentally as well.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bazball works by smashing the bowlers, having the fielding captain not holding their nerve and spreading the field. Then the easy 1s and 2s are there to keep the score ticking over

Bring on the Ashes in our back yard 2025

The two sides, based on ages not form, will be markedly different apart from England's batting which could be almost identical if Pope regains his place.

Out for the Aussies IMO will be Warner, Khawaja, Smith (will retire this summer), Hazelwood, probably Starc, Bolland and Head. Barring injury, I think Lyon will still be there.

The English bowling will be completely different too. Tongue and maybe Robinson the only one who played this series who might be there

Will the faster and truer pitches help the English batting or will the extra pace find out the techniques? Will the bigger ovals be harder to defend 4's, but see some of those sixes on small ovals be catches?
by FlyingHigh
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gridley results

locky801 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
locky801 wrote:53 9/9

Well done Locky.
I got 70

thanks think that was the easiest one yet

Yeah agree. I got <1% for four of them and 2% for another.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is a serious question.
Why are there so many lesbians in women's sport?

It's moreso in the traditionally-male-dominated sports which have become more popular with women in the last few years.

Perhaps previously they were encouraged to repress their true selves and encouraged to go into other spheres?

Traditionally feminie sports - netball seems to be more hetero. Tennis seems to have a mix but sway towards be more hetero. Hockey?

Perhaps there was always this proportion but for those who played, their competitions were hidden from the public gaze, think Aussie rules, soccer which where males struggled for attention let alone female.

Cricket, which has been around for 100 years, seems to have a more even mix.
by FlyingHigh
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals Week 2

Melbourne by 4 goals. Low-scoring arm-wrestle (12 goals to 8 ) with Petracca to split the game open late in the third or early in the fourth by setting up a couple of goals and kicking one himself.

Port by 8 goals, 17 goals to 9. They lost to the equal-top side. As good as GWS looked at times, they were playing the tenth-ranked side and went missing in patches allowing clumps of goals to be kicked.
by FlyingHigh
Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

I think the biggest shame is that comp was finally relatively even compared to the years when we had teams getting beaten by 2-300 points each week of a decade or two ago

Correct.
It may be down a little at the moment, but a bit of hard work will pull it through.
I just don't understand, and get angry and sad, why "Div 2" is such a dirty word.
Are the HFL and Div 1 clubs all and only about themselves?
by FlyingHigh
Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Daylight saving starting so early

Not a fan? I love daylight saving.

November to February great.
Piss it off in October and March, doesn't fit in with the natural rhythms of days or often the weather, especially when we are 30 minutes ahead of our time zone all year round.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket Commentators

mots02 wrote:Based on their waffle in the commentary box, just how annoying would Langer and Hayden been as team mates in the change room?!

Probly why they chucked them together as openers.
Fk off for 5 hours.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket Commentators

Hayden :Hangman: . Can't believe anyone could annoy me so much that they are more annoying than Brayshaw.

Ponting, Blewie, Alison MItchell and Tim Lane are all very good. Blewett is underrated IMO, bit of a shame he wasn't on the old Ch 9 team, I think he would have complemented that team well.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL 2023-24

Vikings screw up another game with some ordinary coaching, play calling and game management.
Glad we could make your day Wedgie
by FlyingHigh
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

I know it's the playing conditions and we've seen it before, but I think the Paki's were dudded by the "extra half hour to get a result".

They'd already played the extra half-hour that's now just accepted as the game, and a few minutes before stumps they're 6 down and lose a wicket, then all of a sudden it's not stumps.

I understand the intention, but it needs tweaking. Perhaps make the decision at the start of the last half-hour and then teams know what's going on and the waiting batsmen can prepare properly at what can be a pretty critical time of the game. Imagine is the Paki's needed 80 this morning with three wickets left.

That the time of stumps can be altered because a wicket falls in the last few minutes of what is already overtime seems too far in favour of the bowling team.

I know there will be counter arguments and situations such as when a team is 300 ahead with three wickets left but the team could still bat out the next day maybe with the help of weather. Or if the Paki's were 5 down and Lyon took a hat-trick with 20 minutes left. But for fairness to both teams it needs looking at IMO
by FlyingHigh
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

From being thinking it was going to be a shudderingly awful, one-sided contest, it turned into a thoroughly entertaining and interesting series.

I think Australia were not 100% fully into the series after a huge 12 months. Looked a little jaded, but then why the hell did some of them play a couple of T-20's in the week they had off between the two series.

But the West Indies spirit and attitude was fantastic, genuinely keen to work hard and have a pride and commitment in themselves, each other and the cap. Unlike previous sides, they weren't too kool for skool, and genuinely wanted to be out there in the field. It may have been different if Australia were 3/450, but that type of attitude lessens the chance of that happening (obvsiously).

While their batting was occasionally out-classed, McKenzie (very impressive), Athanze, Hodge and Greaves showed a willingness to get stuck in and not give their wickets away. Greaves may or may not be up to it with the bat, which is a bit unfortunate because he looked like a good fifth bowling option.

Their two big hopes, Chanderpaul and Braithwaite, were the two big disappointments. I was really looking for to Chanderpaul following up his efforts from last year.
Their spin wasn't much chop, but Sinclair's enthusiasm was great.

Hopefully they can build on this. Hopefully a few more $$'s can be found to pay them to play Test cricket. Hopefully, perhaps idealistically, they can come to an agreement to play in the IPL, the CPL and one other T-20 tournament which their board will try to keep free of Test commitments, which may vary from year to year.

For Australia, I still think Green at 5 and Head at 6 with a genuine opener is their best bet. Head is the current Doug Walters, will never be 100% reliable because of his technique, but often scores runs when they're really needed. I'd drop Marsh. Like Daisy has a go at Lab, Marsh gives a chance very early on in just about every innings.
by FlyingHigh
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How does daylight saving affect you in March?

By turning the best mornings of the year into dark shitholes.
By not following the natural flows of the changing of the seasons.
By turning up to work feeling very dull.
By going against natural bio-rythms
By creating a certain danger of more people going to work at darker/low-light times when kangaroos are active near roadways, especially during dry spells

There is still enough daylight to be doing things after work without it, so what benefit does it create.
by FlyingHigh
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |