Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: Rd 17 North v Eagles @ Prospect Oval

Article about 25 year old debutant from North Adelaide curtesy of our sporting life SA.

The top story to come out of SANFL round 17 is the debut of Yatala Labour Prison correctional officer, 25-year-old super boot Darren Shillabeer with North Adelaide. After spending the majority of this year in the reserves Shillabeer made a stunning first up senior appearance in the Saturday game at Prospect Oval against the Eagles. The 195 cm, 98 kg key position player had 17 possessions, including 15 kicks and took a match-high 13 marks.
As the Roosters charged home after the main break, kicking 11 goals to four to defeat the Eagles by 38 points, Shillabeer kicked three goals in the second half and finished with 3.3 in his initial match. “Darren had been in consistent form in the reserves, developing his game under our coaching staff,” Roosters Football Manager Darryl Wintle said. “It was a pretty complete performance first up. “His last goal was kicked from 65 metre out after the final siren kicking towards the northern end of Prospect Oval. “He is a booming kick and that ball traveled through the post half way up.”
From Central Augusta, he is the nephew of Norwood half forward/rover David Shillabeer, who played 35 league games with the Redlegs in the Robert Oatey era between 1966 and 1970. Darren played four years of junior football in the SANFL - two at Under 17 level with the Roosters - and one each with North and Norwood in the Under 19’s. Shillabeer has enjoyed three A-grade flags in the Spencer Gulf competition, one under Gary Kernahan (Stephen Kernahan’s older sibling) as a 17-year-old in 2006 and two with the Central Bloods under former West/Port Adelaide strong man Ray Hayes in 2010 and 2011. He felt this was his last opportunity to have a crack at SANFL footy. “Craig Brooks (North reserves coach) has used me as a bit of a swing man,” Shillabeer confirmed. “I started at centre half back and then went forward. “I’m keen to have another big pre-season and play consistent league football next year. “A couple of the points were from mongrel kicks in the last term, before that last one.”
Footnote - Shillabeer explained that his previous shot was a 'mongrel' and after receiving a pass from Nick Amato late in the game he suggested to the boys he'd have a shot. The rumours that he can kick a ball over a wheat silo like Billy Brownless are unconfirmed!

http://www.oursportinglifesa.com.au/
by Special One
Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations Norwood

Thanks for the award but Unfortuately it doesnt get us the Thomas Seymour cup.
we are not playing on a level playing field our salary cap is far less than the PAM's. this problem will be around for as long as afl reserves are playing in the SANFL Should the AFL side be successful it is more than likely follow in the SANFL.
So even with the new restrictions this wont change things much.
Very hard for local teams to match this the talent pool in the afl goes much deeper than SANFL can . Then you have the extra acces to training & medical facilities
yep good idea
SANFL clubs have to work 10 times harder to develop the juniors then the cream get drafted to afl clubs possibly play against them. They get 7 days a week to train & provided other opportunities to develop their future lifestyle after footbal
How can SANFL clubs compete with that with limited funds &resources.
At the same time mature age players get a second chance in the system. If it was the old system no one would have seen Shillabeer come on to the seen, young lads playing at the eagles coming from the saafl and so on. There are more benefits out of the new system. What I seen at prospect oval in round 18 was amazing there was passion and young kids wanted to be like north players and had photos with them. It's up to sanfl clubs to improve their community development, I've been told north Adelaide are rarely seen in schools these days in the country.
by Special One
Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sack Chuck

Siddons seems to be a front runner
by Special One
Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3- Port v North Saturday, 12.10

Too many passengers for North today. Poor skill level, no work rate and poor decision making. Only having 10 players in double figures for disposal at 3qt tells the story. Most people will come up with excuses saying we are playing against afl footballers! Simply North were just lazy and didn't rock up to play footy.
You said something similar last week too didn't you.
Will this be your standard post through the season whilst you have 17 AFL listed players in your team.
Your way of defending the inequality between your Reserve side and the other real SANFL sides I guess.

I'll wait for your next line "well your club voted for it" as your other justification.

I get to see a lot of North games... North are probably one of the most dangerous teams when on the break and when they play direct. At times North play dumb footy especially I lost count how many times they blazed away. Their press was played too high up the field, leaving the forwards too far up the ground. North have too many players with average skill level who can't hit a target for 'semi-professionals'! You see why Spina and Clisby were delisted. North have many to come back in which will fix the team balance issues they have at the moment. Add Obst, Gallman, Amato, Wangerneen and C. Craig in the team, I think they can beat Port.

Of those 17 listed AFL players, how many would barely make a league, how many are just good honest footballers who are only SANFL standard. I'm not a fan of AFL teams, but what other options are their? A former league coach told me this is the best format for the time being cause their were too many restrictions regarding AFL listed players. People need to get over it and live with it. There is no perfect world, just have to live with it and support your team. Without that support grass roots teams in your zone going to suffer and those kids have no one to idolize. For example, kids in Port augusta look up to Shillabeer, kids in Port Pire look up to Johnston and kids in Ardrossan look up to Lodge.
by Special One
Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |