Search found 801 matches

Return

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Yeah but when I was younger saying "bloody" or "shit" in front of adults was considered heinous. Back when my mum was young "bugger" was a terrible word. Back when her mum was young she couldn't wear a bathing suit in public!

Point is, society and it's standards change over time. It is the role of the youth of the day to push those limits, test them and alter them to their needs. The issue is that as you get older you keep your own set of standards but society has moved on.

So its not that kids today are bad, they're just matching and pushing the line, just as we all did when we were younger, just as your parents did when they were younger. The issue you have with kids these days has nothing to do with the actual kids, it is in fact reflected in your bathroom mirror.
by morell
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Thats the thing though PG, Cohiba and FC, your parents were probably saying exactly the same things about you! Maybe not on the internet because, well, that hadn't been invented in the roaring 50's ( :P) but every generation has had the same complaints
by morell
Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Good lord kill it with fire.
by morell
Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Full res, I think it looks pretty good....
by morell
Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry LGIL, you're a good poster, but:

by morell
Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:you shag one goat and the whole town knows about it instantly and judges.
For goodness sakes, leave Houghton out of it.
by morell
Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shout out to the Central United coach - thought his address at three quarter time was perfect. Things were getting a bit fiery with old mate Woodward and I made an effort to lend an ear to see what they said. He defused everything perfectly and lead his charges well. Incident free last quarter ensued.

Well done.
by morell
Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The vernacular everyone is using "North, South, East and West" are known as Carindal directions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction

The directional names are also routinely and very conveniently associated with the degrees of rotation in the unit circle:

North (N): 0° = 360°
East (E): 90°
South (S): 180°
West (W): 270°

In other words, you're all being imprecise with both your language and measurements. :D
by morell
Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It could also depend on the cardinal direction of the BOS oval. :D 26 / 208 = North South Oval.

Therefore BOS win. :D

Is it measured from Geodetic North, Magnetic North or Grid North? Since we're using Google maps and their projection is based off Spherical Mercator, Grid North should suffice.

If this posts gets 5 likes I will regale everyone with a riveting tale behind Google's web mapping projection and how they told some Geodetic propellerheads to get stuffed... :D
by morell
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I was only half serious, but I guess now I have to deliver

Google Vs the European Petroleum Survey Group

It was a cold wintery morning in Sydney Australia, 2003 when Lars Rasmussen - A Danish born computer scientist, his brother Jens and two Australians Noel Gordon and Stephen Ma, pondered the complexities of delivering their new technology, dubbed Where2, to the market. Unbeknown to Lars and his mates at the time, they had managed to create something which would change the way the world understood location and would soon be one of the most widely used pieces of software in human history.

Where2, after a few million bucks in old mate Lars’s bank account, would become … Google Maps.

The new Google Maps had a problem though, and it was a classical one – how to represent the entire globe (which is an ellipsoid for those of you who didn’t know how to measure an angle and determine a quadrant on a compass) and get that globe to make sense on a flat surface, be it a piece of paper or a monitor. There had been many before who had tried and failed, and many who believe to this day that it is impossible, but Lars and his mates knew that it didn’t have to be perfect, they just needed to ensure your Joe Blogs, your marbles if you will, wouldn’t be too confused when using their new application.

So they poured over all the old ways – looked at conic conformal, spherical, cylindrical – none of them really worked until they realised: distortion near the poles is socially acceptable! People have been brought up knowing Greenland isn’t *that* big and that Antarctica isn’t really an elongated land mass, so, all they had to do was copy the projection used on traditional global wall maps, serve it over the internet easily and seamlessly and they would be on a winner.

And so, Google Maps adopted Spherical Mercator as it projection and tinkered with it a bit to make it work better for internet users. A new age was born and soon everyone was using Google Maps for looking at their house, finding addresses and football grounds. Eventually people figured they could start using it for Navigation too! So Google allowed people to programmatically interact with Google Maps to create navigation aids eventually getting to the point that serious industries were making serious decisions using Google Maps.

Enter the villain, the Oil and Gas Producers (OGP) and the European Petroleum Survey Group (EPSG). These guys have done things their way for aeons, and they didn’t like old mate Lars and his bunch of nerdy Aussies coming along and rewriting the traditional ways! What about the inverse flattening coefficient! What about the Latitude of Origin! What about the semi minor axis! ZOMG! You guys are going to ruin the world! – they cried. So many of the uses of Google Maps were scuttled and the whole dream was in peril.

Old mate Lars and Google didn’t really understand why it was such a big deal, considering they were using a variant one of the oldest and most well known projections ever known – Spherical Mercator - but they went along anyway and tried to get their unique little web projection standardised by the EPSG. Of course, they refused, stating, now famously:

“We have reviewed the coordinate reference system used by Google, etc. and believe that it is technically flawed. We will not devalue the EPSG dataset by including such inappropriate geodesy and cartography.”

The world waited with baited breath for Google’s response. The anticipation was palpable. So what did Google do? They simply made their own standard up – colloquially known as EPSG:900913 - Geddit? It says Google! Lol! They’re so funny!.

So all the nerds started using Google Maps again, and plugged in the new standard and variables and carried on. Everyday people plotted away, navigated, found things, searched panned and zoomed, and other than some famous stuff ups about some morons driving their cars into the drink from listening a little too much to Google Maps, everything went swimmingly (boom tish).

Eventually, the wide spread use of Google Maps became so profound, so ingrained into everyone’s lives that the EPSG relented and saw the might of Google and the error in their ways, in mid-2008 they decided to add the new system to their code registry, assigning it the code EPSG:3785. There was a massive outcry of relief and joy and people started recoding the old 900913-hack code to use the new “official” code instead.

The set of projection parameters corresponding to EPSG:3785 are as follows:

PROJCS["Popular Visualisation CRS / Mercator",
GEOGCS["Popular Visualisation CRS",
DATUM["Popular Visualisation Datum",
SPHEROID["Popular Visualisation Sphere", 6378137, 0, AUTHORITY["EPSG",7059]],
TOWGS84[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0],
AUTHORITY["EPSG",6055]],
PRIMEM["Greenwich", 0, AUTHORITY["EPSG", "8901"]],
UNIT["degree", 0.0174532925199433, AUTHORITY["EPSG", "9102"]],
AXIS["E", EAST],
AXIS["N", NORTH],
AUTHORITY["EPSG",4055]],
PROJECTION["Mercator"],
PARAMETER["False_Easting", 0],
PARAMETER["False_Northing", 0],
PARAMETER["Central_Meridian", 0],
PARAMETER["Latitude_of_origin", 0],
UNIT["metre", 1, AUTHORITY["EPSG", "9001"]],
AXIS["East", EAST],
AXIS["North", NORTH],
AUTHORITY["EPSG",3785]]

So now, when someone makes an application which depicts the location of stormwater pipes, or when an ISP want to know where to plug you in, or when you’re finding that restaurant on Port road or when you look to find your way to Angle Vale on Saturday, or if its some poor indian orphan finding his Dad, chances are it’s thanks to Lars, his Aussie nerds, Google and their big **** off to the Oil and Gas Industry.

And so, with that, ends the tale of Google Vs the EPSG and how everyone and anyone with an internet connection can know their location, find where they need to go and map the world!!
by morell
Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

marbles wrote:Houghtons Project Reno!!!
http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/project-reno/

phht how crappy were ya changerooms seats before hand :D
Wow! How did they manage to get Woody Harrelson to help out with the radio interview?!?
by morell
Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We can still make guest appearances to ensure the dialog is of suitable standard. Especially if you lot start arguing about things you don't know anything about. :P

Woody Harrelson is coming up remember, so that'll help.

Also, I've heard different RE the FU boys and that they're playing on the island next year, but my source is most definitely short, tubby, dim witted and hairy.
by morell
Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also, I've heard different RE the FU boys and that they're playing on the island next year, but my source is most definitely short, tubby, dim witted and hairy .
:-k Well that rules out Nat :lol: Ok Ill give you a hint. Lets call him ... "Mr Steele". No thats too obvious. Just make it "Brad".

It definitely wasn't Brad Steele.
by morell
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can't believe Ingle Farm are getting all upset because their b grade are playing at another ground.

Get over it FFS.

/sarcasm
by morell
Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would have to get morell on there to provide his reports on catchments, and other in depth analysis - bit like a weather report on tv.
Marbles can be our special guest to continue carrying on about his stupid SUPER C GRADE comp.

Oh and we can get one of those "Psychic Squids" or what ever to pick the winners each week :lol:

I'll co-host with Morell, we'll make a great team!

But after meeting with Morell, there is no room for Marbles on our show. #toughbreak Lets do it! With GoPro's and YouTube it would be easy to setup a channel.

marbles can be on it, kind of like a Sam Newman character I suppose. Except hopefully with more going on downstairs.
by morell
Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

I have read a lot of comment over the last 6 months of the current state and future direction of div 7. C Grade only divs and bad behaviour etc, etc. Whilst it's nice for marbles to speak on SHOC's behalf they are often not aligned with our own opinions.
Firstly we are a long way away from having a D grade for next season so you should not be including us in your C grade super league calculations. As C1 or C2 seems to be our C grades destination next year. We could hardly fill a C grade this year.
Secondly it has nothing to do with the A graders v C graders debate that you put forward that we are struggling for numbers. We have won flags and been competitive in its current state and SHOC's do love the challenge of playing A grade sides. Yes we might retain of few more players if we were in an easier div. But it has more to do with the increase of the opposition dick head factor that has seen a decline in player numbers for SHOCs. We have a lot of blokes these days living the dream overseas or working interstate. More than before and we can't help that. But the dickhead factor has effected the interest in the train once a week, young family man and full time job player that cannot be bothered playing anymore that we could rely on in the past.
We can cop the floggings from Mitchell Park, Ingle Farm, Hougton, Smithfield 2014 as they play the game in the right spirits and respect the word amateur. We have given them out and now we are on the receiving end but that's ok. I have had beers after the game with all these clubs after some beltings and the blokes have been great. It has been the flogs from other clubs that has made our experience in div 7 disappointing and there total lack of any understanding of the word AMATEUR.
Some of the things that have happened in Div 7 over the last 2 years have been appalling for amateur football. Get rid of this and div 7 in its current state is fine. The quicker clubs stop making excuses and address their issues the better things will be for everyone. Look at Smithfield for example and you can see what can be done.
Post of the year nominee right here.
by morell
Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

WOS!

WOS are deadset my second favourite team. Legends.
by morell
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Top year @Arch44. Haven't lost any admirers with the season you've had, both with your off field demeanour and on field success.
by morell
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just quietly you wouldn't be the first punter to lose money with Trader ;)
by morell
Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

I started typing out all the CLG finals chokes but ran into the safooty word limit.
by morell
Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

I don't think anyone has labelled Harvey any of those things. They've been mysteriously deleted and or edited. But the evidence is still there. ;)

And most of us just disagree with your assessment of CLG under achieving. Yeah no dramas at all, or at least there shouldn't be. For the most part it was a really good footy chat. Until a certain section of people got all butt hurt. I am fascinated with their pattern of results - people confused that with obsession.

I love amateur footy and the characters and stories therein. This could have been a great thread about some of the ins and outs of finals gone by, we could have heard inside stories and reasons why certain things happened, we could have discussed in depth football theory. All with a bit of banter. Which I tried to do.

More to do with your obsession with colonel light, why not have a crack at north haven? Who have a pretty bad finals record too! I was once fascinated with Central United discipline record - people confused that with obsession. I was once fascinated with Angle Vale and their operations - people confused that with obsession. I am fascinated with Ingle Farm and Mitchell Parks history - people confused that with obsession. I was once fascinated with Smithfield and their discipline - people confused that with obsession. I was once fascinated with Henley and their ideas - people confused that with obsession.

Get. Over. Yourselves. I like talking about football. CLG are a football club. This is a thread about finals. CLG have played lots of finals. I play for a club around the corner and know a few funny stories.

All of that doesn’t equate to obsession. Other than maybe being obsessed about local footy - then guilty as charged!

Happy to discuss North Haven! Lets do it! Go for it! Unfortunately I know nothing about them as I think Mitchell Park has played them only once (stand to be corrected). But honestly, it would be great to hear about some of those upsets…

Lets talk about 2011 and Mitchell Park if you like?

In the div 6 thread you have congratulated ingle farm for coming up a division and finishing third...Clg do the same and we are chokers? No, as I said to HH3 and Q above, I don’t know enough about 2014 CLG in D5, I apologise if I have inferred that you choked this year, I don’t know if that’s reality. I would say WOS beating you was an upset though?
by morell
Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And rightly so. Best coached sides in D6 last year IMO.
by morell
Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

It seems that barely a handful of Clubs are causing the bulk of the controversy within the SAAFL over the last couple of seasons.

Given the varied viewpoints on this (and other) forum(s) suggests if member Clubs had to vote for either the redemption or the de-registration of these estranged Clubs to determine if its in the best interests of League .......the result could be interesting....
Oh yeah, great idea, lets turn the SAAFL into a toffee nosed version of a Big Brother esque popularity contest.

Hopefully the SAAFL continue to deal with facts, data and information, not anecdotal impressions, perceptions and rumours.

I did say...."it seems" M............unless your suggesting its all been a major conspiracy by our elected officials and the events of recent seasons has all been contrived and is without any substance at all........It's just an observation to which you've said plenty..... :) Not at all, I am rebuking the concept of clubs voting on other clubs survival or otherwise. Sorry but it's preposterous.
by morell
Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think its going to be a long year in the D7 forums
by morell
Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs squished together....

Agree HH3, hence the "player catchment" work I did last year in the clubs in strife thread I think Mr Beefy linked to.
by morell
Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

And I'm a little perturbed that I couldn't find them.
by morell
Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Indeed, you're spot on. Those two maps almost correlate to each other which makes sense.

If Golden Grove don't become a super club they're doing something wrong.
by morell
Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

any other stupid questions? What are you doing this year chief? Putting in a big pre season?

haha we'll see after meet the coach day this sunday my friend. quite content to sporadically train preseason and captain the b's again (hopefully)

what about your fine self? will the knees hold up for 1 more go?
Funny you say that, the year before last where I played B Grade all year was bar none the most enjoyable year of footy I have ever had - great times! Lot to be said for having a kick and a catch with mates, being all done by 2pm and then either having some drinks on the sidelines or heading somewhere else.

RE knees - met with the surgeon last week and I am on the list firstly for a clean out of the old LARS stuff and a meniscus trim, then later for a reconstruction. So 18 months away, 3 years total from injury to fix - yay for public health.

I figure **** it, might as well trash the bejesus out of it before it gets fixed up then retire! So yep I'll try and run around again and beguile the opposition with my wit and charm.
by morell
Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mitchell Park Football Club is excited to announce Shane Lynch as senior coach for season 2015. Shane comes to the club with a wealth of knowledge and experience which is sure to help the club strive for success in 2015.

The club would also like to announce Shanes right hand man for 2015 will be playing assistant coach Tom Roberts. Tom has recently returned from country victoria where he played high level country footy. Tom has a great footy background and we are lucky to have him on board.

It would be a good idea to say a massive thankyou to outgoing coach, Scott Weekley. A club legend, good mate and a favourite amongst the playing group, Scott held the club together in perhaps our most difficult year in living memory. I for one will have Scott’s coaching in 2014 high in my thoughts as amongst the more dignified and important efforts in my short time at the Mitchell Park Football Club.
by morell
Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Chick wrote:Nah, the Power came in and tried to convince everyone they're the original and the best.

and then killed off the original club.
by morell
Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hahahahaha. Umpires get it right 99% of the time at amateur level.

Now that IS comedy gold.

Honestly, would be 60/40 in D6 and D7, as in, just a tipple over flipping a coin instead.
by morell
Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah fair enough,

Principally, my key points are:

1. The standard of umpiring in the SAAFL is not good enough - for a myriad of reasons - and should be improved
2. They are nowhere near accountable enough for poor decisions and performances
3. We have developed a culture of over protectionism of umpires - which causes a myriad of problems and limits our ability to address #1.
4. Umpires discussing teams and their reputations with a predetermined course of action is an abject disgrace - but a long held suspicion.

I think you like the word myriad. there are a myriad of reasons why I like the word myriad
by morell
Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Chick wrote:
morell wrote:Done plenty of it.

#itsnotthathard #getoveryourselves #getitright #whydonthashtagsworkonsafooty

because I hate hashtags and permanently ban any wanker that uses them ;)

#howdoesheknow :?

haha, fair enough, they can be handy though! Imagine, an ignorable hashtag for umpire chat ;)
by morell
Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All I can think of when SPOS Vs Mawson Lakes gets raised:

by morell
Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Ok fine. I wanted to rile up scottroo and didn't expect to be called out.

Are you happy?!

:D
by morell
Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At what young fella?
by morell
Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FFS do I have to explicitly explain everything for everyone all of the time.

About 2 years ago I made fun and offered some genteel jibes at CLG after they were trying to poach a couple of our players. Which they were, despite their protests. You can define what "poach" means if you like, but some of our players were getting offers from CLG, either though official channels or not, to jump from MP to CLG.

Anyway, at the time, scottroo and zedman flew off the handle and had an all around hissy fit and lost their marbles at me for saying just that. Which I and others found absolutely hilarious. So now I very deliberately poke fun at this story and in general poke fun at CLG because it makes them mad and everyone else laugh. Finals chokes, hair gel, champagne glasses, poaching our players, kicking bins etc etc etc

Hence my post way back saying the CLG are up to their old tricks and trying to poach MPFC players - even if it did have a peppercorn of truth in it due to Coxy training with them.
by morell
Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clearances

I love it when you see a clearance from your club and you have absolutely no idea who it is.
by morell
Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought you said you've never been beaten Q. I had you built up as some sort of defensive super hero. :neutral:
by morell
Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AV have reportedly recruited quite well and will be stronger.
I'm not sure that is true. Well either am I. It's all speculation at this stage.

If they play with the side that played against us in the second game last year, they'll be quite competitive. If they add a sprinkle of quality, they will make finals and will be a threat.

EDIT: And i see from the D6 thread they've added Varcoe ....
by morell
Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BZB27 wrote:
marbles wrote:If salisbury west get a 1 team chance in div 7 will they be a threat to the houghton vs angle vale grand final? :)

They will be in C1 mate.

Not many clubs survive this fall. Worrisome times for Salisbury West if true.
by morell
Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glad you're not including us marby :heart: :heart: :heart:
by morell
Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:Exactly what I said before finn. Why not put SW in with us?

Because why should D7 be where one team clubs have their year of grace?
because it's the lowest A Grade division. :?
by morell
Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So,

A. Henley play a strong D Grade of experienced players, win flag, have fun. Blokes retire and move on after success.

Ergo

B. D7 A grade clubs playing C grade clubs is a virus.

The leap of logic to get from A. to B. is astonishing.
by morell
Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a tiger repellent rock to sell you marbles.

by morell
Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Key Defender/Forward required.

haha, good fun.

The fact he specifically mentioned 6km from the city, means its probably close to the 6km mark. So if we run 7km buffer (because lets be honest, there needs to be some degree of vaguery) and then take out all of the clubs within 4.5km, to create a "likelihood ring" and then select all the clubs which fall within that region, we get the following results:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/potential_clubs_zpsq7peeqxs.png

And these clubs:

Broadview
Colonel Light Gardens
Fitzroy
Flinders Park
Gaza
Hectorville
Mitcham
Payneham NU
Pembroke Old Scholars
Plympton
Scotch Old Collegians
Unley
Westminster Old Scholars
Woodville South

Could remove quite a few based on the "finals last two years" and "next step" statements....
by morell
Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wish we could just settle on something and be done with it. The confusion is making it very difficult to get staff, volunteers, players, holidays, events and everything else sorted. Even more so for sporting clubs with other affiliates as we need to fit in with their schedule as well. It's our plan to have the Rugby Club play under lights on Saturday nights when the football club is playing away - it's now the 10th of March and we cannot cement anything in.

It's no ones fault and I guess its the price we pay for being in the lowest division, but I don't understand why we can't have a schedule locked in, with a gap or bye in case we need to bring in another team...

/rant
by morell
Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would've been much nicer. I would've just cut your face.
by morell
Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |