Search found 47 matches

Return

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Whoever wrote the second article is a dead set plagiarist.
by DOC
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something different:

by DOC
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 faviourites

Between Norwood and West
by DOC
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Olsen gone finally

It seems whenever a change is made at the SANFL , it is greeted with a negative discontent . Is it because most are just negative souls or do you actually know these people ? Is it always that bad ? Im trying to get some balance in this rather than just easy blame . Some of you may not understand this but a few might.

My skepticism stems from the fact that the job is now clearly seen as a stepping stone to AFL club Administration, as openly celebrated by the CEO and that the previous two holders of the position moved to the Power and Crows respectively, after overseeing what many believe to be more than generous concessions to the two SANFL based AFL Reserve Teams...

Show me someone who puts the SANFL first and doesn’t kowtow to the AFL clubs and I’ll be the first to pat them on the back.
by Hazydog
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 Player movement

I have nothing against the club this is not of their doing, they and all the SANFL clubs are victims of AFL greed. I just can't see the point of supporting a competition that is now so compromised, keeping in mind the AFL can continue to cherry pick players up intil mid-season. The entire competition has lost credibility, like last year my club was really well placed to play finals, had recruited well, lost 3 players, 2 at the start of the season and 1 throughout the year and therfore did'nt play finals, no fault of theirs (and received no compensation!). The same scenerio now this year, therefore there no point in continued support for a sporting competition that is purely at the mercy of another.
by darley16
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 9 teams

This is a great opportunity to transform the SANFL back into a real community competition with the 8 real Clubs.
Salary caps and other spending can be reduced and we can have a more equal competition.
Might even attract back some supporters who gave up on the SANFL when it bent over backwards to accommodate the AFL reserves players.

8 Clubs, 8 teams - Crows & Port can look after themselves elsewhere.
by JohnnyG
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

This situation provide an opportunity for the SANFL and the SA AFL sides to truly part ways once and for all.

No reserve sides by the looks of it with smaller AFL lists.

SANFL back to 8 teams.

There's only one more thing left to sort out for a true split.
by stan
Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves Discussion...

I won't be attending the SANFL from hereon... certainly won't be going to the AFL reserves match.

Besides, it shouldn't be called the SANFL anymore, it is technically AFL-SA now. .. the SANFL should do the right thing and rename itself and make a distinction between SANFL flags and AFL-SA flags, as its a different competition now.
That'd be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The AFL has decided to take a dump on the SANFL, we should be withdrawing our support from that league, or specifically Crows and Power, rather than dreaming up ways to make our comp more unattractive.
I'm not dreaming up ways to make the SANFL more unattractive. The league directors did that. They're putting a dress on my Dad and calling him my Mum, sorry, I can tell the difference! The fact is that two AFL clubs now have development teams in the league with an overriding objective to develop players for another league and market their AFL brand (over and above any SANFL brand) more than anything else and THAT is something the SANFL has never been about.

As I've said before... if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... its AFLSA and not the SANFL.
by csbowes
Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL salary cap to be reduced to $250k next season

Reserves to stay but to play for zero.

It was $380k in 2019 wasn't it?

Personally i think they should've scrapped the Reserves, have smaller senior list sizes (30-32 players max), have up to five or six players play in the u/18s and the rest go back to local footy if they're available and not selected in either but i guess playing for nothing is another option. Hopefully we can keep as much talent as we can but that is a big drop in pay for the senior list.

$380k for seven of the ten clubs; over a million for two of the clubs, and whatever they could fit into brown paper bags for the other club ;)
by bulldogproud
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

Lol, it's the most UNcompromised comp in my lifetime!
Same amount of home and away games, play each other twice, no AFL cancer changing weekly results.
by Wedgie
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: reserves

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L. :evil: :twisted:
by Groucho
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

I can but dream (not wishing actual covid on anyone, just the potential fear of it). A "nice" balanced season of 2 x 7 games without AFL influence, shorter if it must be, has great appeal to me.
by whybother
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1

Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?
by Spargo
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1

South dudded again.
After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:
by blueandwhite
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID

Last season showed we dont need them
by southernbulldog
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

South have signed Sam Gadden from Sydney Swans.

Gadden was in the Swans academy and played in their NEAFL side.

Sam is a 197cm 95kg KPP who has also played in the ruck.

Gadden has pleaded with the club to only refer to him as a ruckman.
by DOC
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

South have signed Sam Gadden from Sydney Swans.

Gadden was in the Swans academy and played in their NEAFL side.

Sam is a 197cm 95kg KPP who has also played in the ruck.

Gadden has pleaded with the club to only refer to him as a ruckman.

Sportsbet have him at $1.01 to get picked up in the Mid-Season Draft....
by am Bays
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Booney wrote:DARREN CHANDLER: The Crows and Port have long term agreements to be part of the sanfl until 2028 and we’d like to strengthen that relationship.

Or until it doesn't suit either to which we will then let them walk away from the agreement no questions asked.
by whufc
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port writes to AFL over SANFL grievances....

Hard to believe the arrogance of Port here. It's all about changing the rules to suit them whilst not giving a stuff about the rest of the SANFL clubs.

They don't seem to understand that the AFL don't run the SANFL. If they don't want to play under SANFL rules then perhaps remove your team.

Funny how they aren't raising all the advantages that they get over SANFL sides.
by Mr Fuller
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

None of these problems would exist if we could just go back to Port Magpies and Port Power de merging, keep it separate how it use to be (and was a lot better).
by Alex
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pretty obvious DOC was having a laugh there.

I mean, what sort of league would have different rules apply to different teams?

Next you'll be telling us some teams have twenty times the salary cap as the rest.
by RB
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It would be so much better without them as was shown last season .Just disappear from our comp, the rules are for all teams in the SANFL not just them.
by southernbulldog
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Graham Cornes.

JUST as it was starting to work its way into our football hearts, Port Adelaide has blown it again.

There has been so much to like about the Power in recent years. It has shown us how to recruit, been more than competitive on the field and its 150th year celebrations took us all back on a fantastic journey of football nostalgia. And its young players have been a delight to watch. Most importantly, even before this season’s new rules impacted on the game, it has played football the way football was intended to be played – with a positive, attacking mindset.

But when you attack the SANFL, as Port has done this week, it is attacking the very hand that fed and nurtured it over the decades – saved it in fact when the administrators should have marched in and shut the club down. It’s bad enough having an AFL reserve team, with all the advantages it enjoys, playing in the SANFL. But then wanting to bring a player who has been a part of the AFL team back into its SANFL team on the same weekend is demanding too much. Surely it’s either one or the other. So it has gone running to the AFL to complain.

The one thing we South Australians should be proud of as the Melbourne-centric AFL slowly but surely has subjugated the game, is our independence of its stifling yoke. While it constantly tampered with the game, eroding the spirit and even the integrity of the game, the SANFL moved slowly and measured every new suggestion before accepting or rejecting it.

Port Adelaide’s pointed press release which attacked the SANFL for not allowing the substitute who may have played for the Power to then come back and play for the Magpies is petty and mischievous at best.

Remember, for a start, this ‘new rule’ was introduced with barely 36 hours’ notice before the season’s first AFL game. Besides, there are very few games this season when the SANFL game is scheduled after Port’s AFL match. It’s a spurious complaint because there will be very little, if any, disadvantage to the Power. Again, it ignites that simmering debate about highly-paid AFL players competing in the SANFL.

Port then complained further about the different rules its AFL players had to play under in the SANFL – as if this was a monumental disadvantage for its AFL team. As well as the hastily-introduced medical substitute law, it mentioned the standing the mark rule, third man up rule at ruck contests and last touch out of bounds. Interesting to note there was no mention of the anti-density laws that at the last minute were foisted on the VFL by the AFL this season. These are the rules that have generated so much consternation, confusion and criticism by AFL coaches in the first couple of weeks of implementation. We should be proud our SANFL refuses to knuckle under to such spontaneous, ill-considered decrees from the AFL.

The SANFL had a very good reason not to adopt the ‘standing the mark’ rule. It was concerned the coaches and players had not had enough time to absorb and understand the new rule which goes against centuries of ingrained football instinct. It should be noted the AFL invested over 500 hours with its umpires instructing and rehearsing the rule at the AFL clubs. Note also the rule hasn’t been introduced in the AFLW because of limited time constraints to bring players up to speed! It’s a ridiculous rule anyway that is completely unnecessary if coaches coach with attacking intent. The complaint of the third man up at ruck contests is again mischievous. The SANFL does have a rule preventing the third man up in ruck. You just don’t have to nominate who it is with the schoolboy-like hand in the air, as is the rather silly demand of the AFL.

There are other differing laws between the SANFL and AFL. The SANFL has a 25-metre rule for infringements as an alternative to the 50-metre penalty, football’s greatest blight. It’s much more sensible. And yes, we have a last touch rule designed to keep the ball in play, which as much as I personally dislike it, keeps the ball in play longer and reduces the stoppages. It’s impossible to see how any variations of those laws will impact on a young player’s development.

The Port Adelaide press release also complained about not having access to contracted players at other SANFL clubs. Is it serious? It wants to select a contracted player from a rival SANFL club to play against the team to which he is contracted? Surely I’ve misread that?

The debate about whether our two SA teams should have their reserve teams in the SANFL has never abated. We understand the advantages it provides for the two AFL coaches but it undermines the equity of the SANFL.

From the moment Port Adelaide launched its rogue bid to join the AFL back in 1990, it has torn at the integrity and the finances of the SANFL which has had no alternative but to bankroll it. When Adelaide Football Club, albeit reluctantly, had to pay 80 per cent of its profits back to the SANFL, Port paid nothing, devising devious methods and ‘Foundations’ to hide its true income. Today the Crows pay a levy of $400,000 to field their reserve team in the SANFL while Port pays nothing.

We should all have an appreciation of our origins and be grateful for the people and organisations which gave us our opportunities. Whether it likes it or not, Port Adelaide owes an enormous debt to the SANFL. Unfortunately, it has a poor way of showing it.
by DOC
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Norwood v North Friday 7.40PM

Lucky we werent playing because you can guarantee we wouldve been blamed for it
by southernbulldog
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:Latest Sportsbet market (Latest market in Bold)

Port Adelaide $5 $6
North Adelaide $6 $5.50
Woodville-West Torrens $6 $5
Glenelg $7 $6
Norwood $7 $10
Adelaide $9 $15
South Adelaide $9 $5.50
Central District $13 $26
Sturt $13 $12
West Adelaide $15 $81
by DOC
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:BOG went to South Ruckman Tom Schirmer

Bound to go in the mid season draft to cover GCs ruck deficit...
by am Bays
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 Norwood v South Friday 7.40PM

Undefeated South Adelaide ( I normally stop posting that in Round 2) go to Norwood looking to have their best start to a season for quite some time.

South’s starts to seasons in general have been very good since 2014:

2014- Won 5 of first 6 (lost prelim)
2015- Won 4 of first 5 (finished 6th)
2016- Won first 6 (straight sets finals exit)
2017- Won 5 of first 6 (6th)
2018- Won 4 of first 6 (lost elim final)
2019- Won 4, drew 2 of first 7 (6th..again)
2020- Won 4 of first 5 (lost prelim)

With the exception of 2016 when only 4 minor round games were lost, a 3-5 game losing streak has occurred at some point later in each of those seasons.
by saintal
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 Norwood v South Friday 7.40PM

Something terribly wrong with our game when a team wins the game without scoring a goal in the second half.
What can we do to make footy exciting again!!!!!
by Wolf Pack
Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6 Eagles v South Saturday 2.10PM

Bays v South should have been Good friday... but the SANFL does the draw so there you go....
by blueandwhite
Sun May 09, 2021 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dear Spelly: Bays v Souf

That's something I didn't notice. It's actually just the third occasion post WW1, the other two being the premiership decider in 1921, and Rd 19 1968:

Port 3.1 4.3 4.6 4.8 (32)
Norwood 0.4 1.5 2.6 3.6 (24)
Adelaide, 34800

West 5.1 8.2 8.5 8.5 (53)
Glenelg 3.2 4.3 7.4 7.5 (47)
Glenelg, 12462
by spell_check
Tue May 18, 2021 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 South v Norwood Monday 1410

Joel Cross..what a champ. Been a privilege to watch the majority of those 199 games. Recall being at his first game at Woodville back in 2011..combined well in the centre with Nick Liddle who’d come across the year before, 'feeding' Wundke who was also playing his first game for the club. Joel's kicking was a little untidy in those early years, but that was soon addressed and he became one of the top players of the past decade.

His durability is worth noting..from what I can gather he’s only missed 2 games in his time at South- 1 in each of 2017 and 2018 (possibly due to the passing of his father as noted above..cant recall exactly).

Not many reach the 200 game milestone in the SANFL anymore. Have to respect that loyalty and commitment in the age of chasing an early pension in country footy.
by saintal
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 South v Norwood Monday 1410

Joel Cross..what a champ. Been a privilege to watch the majority of those 199 games. Recall being at his first game at Woodville back in 2011..combined well in the centre with Nick Liddle who’d come across the year before, 'feeding' Wundke who was also playing his first game for the club. Joel's kicking was a little untidy in those early years, but that was soon addressed and he became one of the top players of the past decade.

His durability is worth noting..from what I can gather he’s only missed 2 games in his time at South- 1 in each of 2017 and 2018 (possibly due to the passing of his father as noted above..cant recall exactly).

Not many reach the 200 game milestone in the SANFL anymore. Have to respect that loyalty and commitment in the age of chasing an early pension in country footy.

Yep have to agree, what a star he’s been. Even though it’s not for my club, love seeing interstate recruits come across, buy in and stick around for a lengthy career. Huge respect and I hope he stars in a narrow loss this weekend ;) [-o<
by JK
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 Sturt v South Saturday 1435

That bald umpire was hopeless. Clearly he should get a run on the AFL shortly.

I note that we can't see frees for and against on the SANFL site - unless I'm mistaken. Is this on purpose? What are we North Korea?
by gadj1976
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16

Games start on 7 Aug with the GF being played on the long week end of the 3rd October.

SANFL press release
https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/sanfl-releases-updated-fixtures-for-2021-season/

'“For many years, the October long weekend was a really successful tradition for the SANFL Grand Final so both the League and Clubs agreed this was the most favourable date to conclude what has been another unprecedented season due to the Covid pandemic,” Mr Chandler said.'

Since the SANFL believes having the GF on the long weekend is so successful, they could consider leaving it there.

It worked well with a 21-game season, but with an 18-game season the season would have to be started very late April or have lots of byes/split-rounds to drag it out to late October.

21 game season with 8 teams would work.
by PatowalongaPirate
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NO AFL IN SANFL FINALS!

You effin beauty
by Jim05
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 12TH
ELIMINATION FINAL AO 12.15PM NORTH VS SOUTH
QUALIFYING FINAL AO 3.15PM EAGLES VS NORWOOD

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 18TH
1ST SEMI FINAL 3.15PM AO
2ND SEMI FINAL 7.15PM AO GLENELG VS

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 24TH
PRELIMINARY FINAL 7.15PM AO

SUNDAY OCTOBER 3RD
GRAND FINAL 3.15PM AO
by clanger
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 finals series

Good Luck to all five teams in the finals you deserve to be there .At least we have true SANFL clubs involved .
by southernbulldog
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where will the other 9 (or7) finish.

gazzamagoo wrote:Seems apparent that some aren't taking this too seriously :D :D

Mate, if it wasn’t for your positivity on here, I would’ve had Centrals finishing 11th.
by Spargo
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 Centrals vs Power Reserves Sat 2:35 X-Convenien

With Port Power reserves being able to recruit a ruckman from interstate last week, their side is further strengthened. Additionally, playing tonight they'll be able to play their medi sub, they've dropped Sam Hayes and again will be too strong for us. Their AFL side has 5 injuries of a potential list of 44. All this further highlights what a pathetic (with lack of integrity) competition we now have and bother to support.
by Dogs64
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 Sturt vs South

Dull game for the first 3 terms which produced just 9 goals in favourable footy weather. The game opened up in the last and South finished the stronger. The win gives the club an outside chance of a September appearance. Games to come are against West, Port and WWT- 3 wins and some luck are an obvious must.

Garthwaite, Brooksby, Haines, Ramsay and Sampson named best for South, while Voss was Sturt's standout.

Noted that only 1 of 8 teams kicked 10 goals or more today despite the conditions. Feel as though a number of games have been a chore to watch this season, saved to some extent by close finishes (ie 10 of South's 15 games have been decided by 2 goals or less)
by saintal
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Thanks Aerie, saved me a job!

Also have the bizarre situation where Turner could play for Glenelg or the Crows in the finals or could be excluded from playing from both!
by Dutchy
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Pseudo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Why no games this week?
Part of the EBA or whatever you want to call it between the league and players.
Have to have a set amount of weeks off per season

Might have had a split round staggered over 2 weeks.

You stop that crazy talk now!
by am Bays
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - North Adelaide v Adelaide

Thankyou Roosters, for doing your bit to make this year's Grand Final watchable.

Now its up to the Redlegs to seal it.
by Pseudo
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Sam Skinner back to South Adelaide? That’s what I got from the Facebook reel the club just posted.
by PanthersFan
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Be an interesting Centrals v Sturt couple of matches next season. Will be a bit like Sturt League v Sturt Reserves

Sturt Ressies played darn well last year; Liddy and each of the Lochowiaks instrumental in their success. Mihail BOG in GF, Liddy BOG in Prelim.
Yes, interesting times ahead.

Now they can train & play on a proper-size oval
by gazzamagoo
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where will the other 9 finish?

I have a better wager reward to offer: if Glenelg finish three or more spots above Central this year, I will purchase a Glenelg membership for 2024. Are you happy, if Glenelg don't finish at least three spots higher than Central, to purchase a 2024 Central membership? That way, at least one club will come out in front from the wager.
Cheers
Bet accepted.
by Spargo
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where will the other 9 finish?

I propose that from now onward, all CD v Glenelg league matches be referred to as the Bulldogproud/Spargo Cup.
by gazzamagoo
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |