Search found 7 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

Preliminary Final @ Mortlock Park - Division 5&5R

A Grade - Colonel Light Gardens vs Westminster Old Scholars

The two newly promoted teams from Division 6 have more than held their own in Div 5, so much so that the victor on Saturday will leap-frog straight into Division 4 for 2015, which is a remarkable effort. Flash-backs from the Div 6 2013 Grand-Final must be in the back of both teams minds. The Lions would realise that there would be no better form of redemption than knocking out the Dragons from the finals race, while the Dragons are well aware of their capabilities come September and the psychological edge they hold over the Lions.

The Lions won both minor rounds comfortably against the Dragons this season. Victors by 32 points at Glandore Oval in Round 5, and a convincing 46 point win in Round 14 at Mortlock Park, the Lions inaccurate kicking doesn't truly reflect their domination on these games (R5. 35 v 18 scoring shots, R14 32 v 21 scoring shots).

Home ground advantage is not a major factor in this game, as the Lions have dropped 3 games at home this year (ALFC, EFC, CBOC), and as the Dragons have shown they are not afraid to travel, winning their last 3 games away to quality opposition. Momentum is a hard thing to stop in football and the belief within the playing group down at Glandore Oval must be at an all time high.

The usual talking point on the match-up on Harvey is a valid one, however he has been reasonably well held in their home and away games, scoring a comprised total of 7 goals from both games. I think focus must also be directed towards limiting the scoring ability of the second-string Lion forwards and on-ballers. Round 5 saw Francis add 4 goals to the team-sheet, while in Round 14 Marshall did the same. Limiting the Lions scoring opportunities will go a long way to winning the Dragons the game. The point of difference for the Dragons, is their non-reliance on individual players to kick bags, rather spread the load and still kick sizeable scores. Last week they were able to register 12 goals scorers against Elizabeth, and this was not a once off. For me it is a matter of is a team of champions, better than a champion team???

My heart says the Dragons, but my head says the Lions.

My Tip: Lions by 23 points

B Grade - Elizabeth vs North Haven

One thing is for sure, no love will be lost between these two sides on Saturday. The Eagles have had the edge over the Magpies during the Home & Away season for 2014, with a hard earned 5 point win at Largs North Reserve back in Round 2, and a more convincing 36 point win at Argana Park in Round 11. However, this game will not be decided on past results, rather who wants it more on the day.

The Eagles set-up their season in Rounds 1-9, however have limped into this Prelim winning only 1 of its past 3 games. Credit to the Eagles, they earned their double chance, but to lose last week to CBOC at home, and miss out on a direct path to the Grand-Final must have been demoralising. The Magpies on the other hand have won their last 6 games and finally have a settled playing list.

Both teams boast potent full forwards, with McCulloch kicking 74 goals from 16 games and Cotter bagging 65 goals from 15 games for their respective sides. A handy inclusion for the Magpies in the second half of the season is Forrest, who has chipped in with 22 goals from only 7 games, and will stretch the Eagles defence, who are yet to witness his capabilities.

Ascendancy and experienced heads from last years premiership side will see the Magpies get home in a hard fought contest.

My Tip: Magpies by 18 points
by Magpies Nest
Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Another shout out to an upcoming 300 gamer. The much maligned Trent 'Weasel' Kolbig from North Haven, will be playing his 300th in Round 3 against Salisbury. Credit to a bloke who started playing footy for the Haviary as an U/9 junior, and has managed to be a regular in the A Grade side for the past 15+ years. He has experienced the lows of relegation, and the highs of promotion, but still yearns to get his hands on the 'Holy Grail'. Hopefully the boys can get him a win and have a cutla bevvies post-game ;-) #havens
by Magpies Nest
Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cohen Mattner back from suspension in 4 weeks for Havens. Still serving a 7 week ban from last years GF, he has dropped over 10kg's and is the fittest I've seen him. Will be a handy inclusion to a forward line that needs to take some of the load off Reedy.
by Magpies Nest
Fri May 08, 2015 8:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mattner back for Havens after this week's game against Eastern Park :-) Should help take the load off Reedy and give Duerden a run further up the ground. This post is just for jo172 #heservedhistime #newbeginnings
by Magpies Nest
Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Welcome back to Cohen Mattner this week. A welcomed addition down at The Haviary. Would expect atleast 5 goals from the big thug this weekend at Heccies, or I'll eat my hat!!!
by Magpies Nest
Fri May 29, 2015 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |