Return

Re: Great to see...

Love it.
by MatteeG
Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great to see...

if only that sought of loyalty was a bit more common in state league footy, would love to see someone from norwood do the same thing when drafted to crows or power sanfl teams.

Centrals Josh Glenn this year still deciding whether to enter draft.

Doesnt want to move interstate has no interest playing for a local club./

If he doesn't want to play for the 2 teams here and the 16 teams interstate I could go out and a limb and tell the lad maybe the AFL isn't for him?
Not the sharpest tool in the shed I take it?

That comment suggests the only person not terribly sharp is the author. Plenty of people work in a job they don't like, or for an employer they don't like, or in a place they don't like. Is it not hard to see the ability to set himself up for a long time holds some temptation while being able to stay local and enjoy his footy more might hold another temptation? If a decision with such obvious merits on both sides is too difficult to comprehend for an observer, I suggest looking inward before casting aspersions on others.
by Grahaml
Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

smac wrote:Will Sturt pay the transfer fee for Giles to Centrals before paying the ones to Port this season?

Will Centrals be taken seriously by anyone if they poach players by offering them way more money than their current club is paying them and then ask that same club for a discount on the transfer fee?
by SANFLnut
Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Where the faark is Dutchy when you need him?
by dedja
Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Stop your moaning Anderson you faarkwit

Fair dinkum Jim it's nothing to do with Clarke at all hey :roll:
Good on Clarke for getting stuck into the weak prick

Don't see how Anderson is a weak prick? Australia totally outplayed England for the last 3 and half days and deserved the win with MJ outstanding with bat and ball also Haddins first innings has almost gone through unacknowledged doesn't change the fact Anderson is a number 11 batsmen and Clarke is a F#*k wit.
He is a weak prick because he couldnt ignore the sledging by Clarke, he just needed to get on with it. Broad copped crap all his first innings and he just got on with the job and didnt bite back. Anderson just looked like a sook, the best thing is the Aussies wont let up on him now fir remainder of the series
by Jim05
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

And it's a valid point that some people don't follow the AFL that much, but those people would be in the vocal minority and sometimes we have to adapt and love with the changes.

Yeh right, 40,000 Crows fans and 20,000 Power fans can't be wrong. But at the end of the day they still have their Crows, Power and AFL. Why do they need the SANFL too? So far as I'm concerned SANFL fans are the majority in the SANFL comp, and AFLites claiming some sort of right of dominion should apply only to their specific comp.
In a nutshell, I don't care how many you number in your comp, you're not welcome in ours.
by therisingblues
Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

And it's a valid point that some people don't follow the AFL that much, but those people would be in the vocal minority and sometimes we have to adapt and love with the changes.

Yeh right, 40,000 Crows fans and 20,000 Power fans can't be wrong. But at the end of the day they still have their Crows, Power and AFL. Why do they need the SANFL too? So far as I'm concerned SANFL fans are the majority in the SANFL comp, and AFLites claiming some sort of right of dominion should apply only to their specific comp.
In a nutshell, I don't care how many you number in your comp, you're not welcome in ours.
Quality post, TRB. Unfortunately the 'AFLites' are used to getting their own way, and few of them really appreciate what exists other than the AFL. They see this whole reserves debate through AFL goggles which distorts things.
As you say, the AFL teams have no right to compromise the SANFL merely because the AFL's bigger. Beeny Mk 2's crap about adapting to changes just typifies the selfish attitude of Sando, Triggy et al.
by RB
Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Richard Tambling will be with Sturt next year.
by Bounce of the ball
Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2nd Test Adelaide Discussion

give silk/head a few more years before they get picked. otherwise it will be another hughes situation all over again.

3 years time they will still be younger than anyone else in the current team.

i could see them bringing faulkner in for bailey just so that harris and siddle dont have to bowl 30 overs each

Good call. Although I haven't seen that much of Head but that's what happens when you get married.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Benson resigns at Sturt

Why am I being involved in this? Sure you have the correct Phil?

I think the Phil they are referring to is the one that dodges replying with facts on many posts .

....and not the Phil who thought that GANGgajang was best known for a hit entitled "This Is Australia"?

(one from the vaults)
by Pseudo
Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

Highlights of the draw for me include:

Sat. 26/4:
Central District v South Adelaide
Sat. 21/6:
South Adelaide v Central District
by RB
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

Good news for the SANFL that an agreement has been reached. Will help clubs attract greater sponsorship with better exposure.

Sad to see it go from the ABC, but overall I think it's a good thing for the competition, as a lot of clubs are struggling financially. When you add in the Crows and Port reserves to the equation, it should help the comp as a whole. As the saying goes...."the only constant is change ".
Jesus H. Christ.
by RB
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

pure 2014 draw

The full 2014 SANFL draw, for purists:

Round 1
Fri April 4
Glenelg v Sturt Glenelg 7:20
Sat Apr 5
Eagles v Central Woodville 2:10
South v West Noarlunga 7:10
Bye North, Norwood

Round 2
Fri Apr 11
West v Eagles Richmond 7:20
Sat Apr 12
Central v Norwood Elizabeth 12:10
North v South Prospect 2:10
Bye Sturt, Glenelg

Round 3
Thu Apr 17
West v North Richmond 7:20
Norwood v Sturt Norwood 7:40
Fri Apr 18
South v Glenelg Noarlunga 5:00
Bye Central, Eagles

Round 4
Fri Apr 25
Norwood v North TBC 3:20
Sat Apr 26
Central v South Elizabeth 2:10
Sun Apr 27
Sturt v Eagles Unley 2:10
Bye: Glenelg, West

Round 5
Fri May 2
Glenelg v Norwood Glenelg 7:20
Sat May 3
North v Sturt Prospect 2:10
West v Central Richmond 6:30
Sun May 4
South v Eagles Noarlunga 2:10

Round 6
Sat May 10
Central v North Elizabeth 2:10
Eagles v Glenelg Woodville 2:10
South v Norwood Noarlunga 7:10
Bye: West, Sturt

Round 7
Sat May 17
Eagles v North Woodville 2:10
Glenelg v Central Glenelg 2:10
Sun May 18
Sturt v West Unley 2:10
Bye: Norwood, South

Round 8
Fri May 23
Norwood v Eagles Norwood 7:40
Sat May 24
Central v Sturt Elizabeth 2:10
West v Glenelg Richmond 2:10
Bye: South, North

State fixture
Sat May 31
SANFL v VFL

Round 9
Fri Jun 6
West v Norwood Richmond 7:20
Sat Jun 7
Sturt v South Unley 2:10
Mon Jun 9
Glenelg v North Glenelg 2:10
Bye Eagles, Central

Round 10
Sun Jun 15
Glenelg v South Glenelg 2:10
Sturt v Norwood Unley 2:10
North v West North 2:10
Bye Central, Eagles

Round 11
Sat Jun 21
South v Central Noarlunga 2:10
Norwood v Glenelg Norwood 2:10
Sun Jun 22
Eagles v Sturt Woodville 2:10
Bye: North, West

Round 12 - split round
Fri Jun 27
Norwood v Central Norwood 7:40
Sat Jul 5
South v North Noarlunga 7:20
Sun Jul 6
Glenelg v Eagles Glenelg 2:10
Bye West, Sturt

Round 13
Sat Jul 12
Central v West Elizabeth 2:10
Eagles v Norwood Woodville 2:10
Sturt v Glenelg Unley 2:10
Bye South, North

Round 14 - split round
Fri Jul 18
Norwood v South Norwood 7:40
Sat Jul 19
West v Sturt Richmond 2:10
Central v Eagles Elizabeth 2:10
Sat Jul 26
North v Glenelg Prospect 2:10

Round 15
Sat Aug 2
Glenelg v West Glenelg 6:30
Sun Aug 3
North v Norwood Prospect 1:10
Sturt v Central Unley 2:10
Bye: Eagles, South

Round 16
Sat Aug 9
Eagles v South Woodville 2:10
Norwood v West Norwood 2:10
Sturt v North Unley 2:10
Bye: Glenelg, Central

Round 17
(weekend of Sat Aug 16)
West v South Richmond
Central v Glenelg Elizabeth
North v Eagles Prospect
Bye: Sturt, Norwood

Round 18
(weekend of Sat Aug 23)
North v Central Prospect
Eagles v West Woodville
South v Sturt Noarlunga
Bye: Norwood, Glenelg

Finals draw TBA, pending allocation of finals byes.
by Pseudo
Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

This debate which was initiated in the Rumours of Players thread has a home now.

As most of us all the integrity of SANFL has been compromised with the introduction of TWO AFL Reserves sides.

The AFL Power RESERVES side which will be playing in the SANFL in2014 will be badged as the Magpies.

The question is why are they not badged as the Power and wear the Black and Teal colours of the Power after all it is a Power RESERVES side ????

As a SANFL fan for forty or so years I personally think this is so disrespectful to the real Magpie teams of the past and to most of their supporters.

Magpies 1870 - 2013 R.I.P.
by Apachebulldog
Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

I think the Power is making a mistake by badging its reserves team as the Magpies. The whole problem with identity (in my opinion) stemmed from moving away from the Magpies creed and starting up the new Power ethos and hoping everyone would forget they hated the Magpies and suddenly become Power fans overnight. As we know, this didn't happen, they simply alienated some of the Magpie community and lost out

Then the club tried to bring the Magpie creed back in, all that "One Club" crap, while at the same slowly strangling the Magpie club to death, taking them out of the SANFL board, making them a subsidiary, treating them like a retarded cousin. Now they have well and truly knifed the Magpie club, but are trying to say all is alive and well at Magpie land in some sort of "Weekend at Bernie's" nightmare charade.

The PAFC should just put the Magpie name to rest, honour its history and be the Power in both the AFL and SANFL. It keeps marketing and colours consistent and ends the which club is which and who's on first and all that crap we've been hearing for years.

I hate seeing the Magpies dead, but they are, so stop stuffing about and just promote the Power like you want to...
by csbowes
Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Survey

sjt wrote:Done. I didn't notice who constructed the survey.

It did not say.

I reckon it might be the boards of the six yes voters because there is a rumour that some people feel that the AFL reserves is not in keeping with the wishes of club members. Just a rumour.
by DOC
Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eric 2014

stampy wrote:give it a rest ffs

May they never give it a rest. Not until the occupiers have been driven from Our Comp. Long live the resistance.
by Pseudo
Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1- Norwood v Port @ Norwood Post Match

To save keystrokes can we call the power reserves the 'preserves'?
by gadj1976
Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your 2014 predictions

More injuries though whufc. Karma is a killer.

My prayers have been answered. Just need to turn 0 - 3 into 0 - 22 and I can depart this mortal coil a happy man

Sando, master coach. :D Quote from after-match press conference: "We're not hitting the panic button yet, but we're certainly starting to lean on it a little bit."

That's right, Sando: man who can't work out how to press a button.
by SimonH
Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cossies back!

Hopefully he doesn't shake up a WKD premix next to me @ the Elephant @ 1 in the morn this time and spray it all over the bar like a Peter North Money Shot.......
by LaughingKookaburra
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

The atmosphere was poor on Sunday with the crowd all cheering for the same team. It was like a Crows (AFL) game.
by Mic
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pure SANFL ladder

At the completion of all pure games in Round 2:

P W F A %
South 2 2 216 133 61.89
Eagles 2 2 155 114 57.62
Sturt 1 1 84 41 67.20
Central 2 1 138 127 52.08
North 1 0 82 116 41.41
West 2 0 113 172 39.65
Norwood 1 0 44 86 33.85
Glenelg 1 0 41 84 32.80
by Pseudo
Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LEH wrote:And no Crow-a-metre on the scoreboard

Please get a travelling one and take it to all the Crows SANFL games. Right now it would register about 2/100 when they score a goal.
by SANFLnut
Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

Love how people can simultaneously argue that the comp is a farce both because the reserves sides are too bad AND too good.

It is actually quite logical and one of the main points I kept arguing last year. The farce comes from the VARIANCE in performances from the AFL reserves teams. There will almost certainly be weeks when they lose by 20 goals and weeks when they will win by 20 goals, all hugely dependent on
- their injury lists
- their desire to play to win (which will depend on what suits their AFL masters from week to week)

Sorry but why is this any difference to any other club? If AFL Port have a 15 man injury list this year then the Magpies will probably get very well beaten. But, if the Magpies in any of the past 20 years had a 15 man injury list, then they would have been very well beaten as well. Any team that will be forced to put half their reserves team into the league side due to injury is going to cop probably big losses.
I'm very surprised you don't understand this as you seem to be a logical poster :)

For every player in Port's AFL team that gets injured/suspended/retires etc., the best Port Magpies player is replaced in the Magpies team by someone who was deemed not up to SANFL League standard the previous week. So not only is it your own SANFL League team's injuries that affect you, it is another team where you lose your best (and next best etc.) player for every injury they suffer. If you look at SANFL Reserves you see a similar effect where teams' fortunes often fluctuate greatly over a season due to League injuries, and it is much more than a doubling effect due to the "lose your best player for every AFL injury" situation.

I know I repeated myself a bit there but I am surprised that there are still regular posters on here who don't understand this after it has been mentioned many times previously in all the debate last year.
by Ecky
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pretty easy to get a couple of hours off work too, plus you will be paid for the time your at the school. Also doesn't have to be players could be a couple of the people that work full time for the club.
How many people do you think work at SANFL clubs? They are running on a bare minimum and rely on volunteers to help them out. Do you expect the bar manager and the chef to head out to schools?

Players already get time off to make it to training and you expect them to then get another couple of hours off?

You seriously live in la la land.
by cennals05
Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of the SANFL

What are North Adelaide more interested in, the success of their League side or success of their Reserves side?

Unfortunately at Glenelg, I think the interest is more in the Reserves side as they have been up top for 8 years now and then you can throw in the success of the Under 18's as well (and the Under 16's who beat North yesterday).

The dream of "success flowing through the club to League level" just has not come to fruition.
North are interested I their league team and rightly so. That also stands true for any AFL club too.

The key difference is that North's reserve side plays in a reserve competition which is designed to support the league team. Both the AFL clubs reserve teams play in a national league competition which is of course the main cause of angst on this site.
by johntheclaret
Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of the SANFL

Yeah Jimmy i think ya right misread it but anyhow they can still piss off to the VFL !!!!
by Apachebulldog
Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - North v Sturt @ Prospect Oval (Sat 3/5)

With North's form and coming up against the Power sloppy seconds the following week, Sturt will have to be at their best to avoid the reverse of the 3 wins in a row.
by zipzap
Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

End of the 1st Qtr

With a shortened season, we are now a quarter of the way through.

Port Reserves looking like they might run away with it due to their unrealistic advantage. They are a able to draw on their AFL stars whilst topping up with experience, hardened SANFL players. People may well talk about how the Reserve Clubs will be affected as injuries mount to their respective AFL sides but in Port's case it seems they have this covered by the level of SANFL players retained on their list. This year might be a learning curve for the SANFL committee who, hopefully, will address the balance next year. Forecast finish 1st

Adelaide Crows Reserves are pretty much where most people expected them to be. Whilst they can be competitive as the win two week's ago proved, they won't dominate the league in the same way that Port will do this year. They also have the disadvantage of the quality of stock available when injuries mount in their AFL side. You would expect Adelaide to finish in the bottom 3 which will be perfectly acceptable for a development squad. Forecast finish 9th

Of the two "no voters" South is doing rather well and outperformed most peoples expectations including I suspect, many South supporters.
Eddy for the Panthers has been a revelation this year and his goals have been instrumental in their success. The whole club seems to have lifted and got behind a relatively unknown and unproven coach. Free flowing and the ability to kick goals in abundance should see South there or there abouts come season end. Their big problem, just like every other club in the league, will be how they fair when the injuries pile up. This week saw them lose 3 to injury. Having to play with a depleted bench for more than half a game is tough for any team. The fact that South came back to snatch the lead again before succumbing to a couple of late goals show the determination they this year, when in the same circumstances in previous years would have seen them roll over and lose by a much bigger margin. Forecast finish 4th

Centrals haven't recovered from the loss of the Gowan twins along with some other inspirational players and their new recruits don't appear to have the same drive and determine as the old guard which has turned attention onto their coach Roy Laird. Laird has been a fantastic coach for Centrals making him one of the most successful coaches in SANFL history and the dominance of the Centals side through the noughties was record breaking. To sustain that level of dominance year after year is impossible. Ask Man Utd. Centrals had a group of players that stood out from the rest, not just a couple of great players like most clubs have but a team of great players. There was always going to be a time when these great players retired or moved on and Centrals were never going to be able to replace them. It's a rebuilding time for the Dogs which might take a few years and maybe a new Coach, but to panic now and remove mid season would be a mistake. Forecast finish 8th

Woodville West Torrens hVe been there or thereabouts for a few years now, often the bridesmaid and it looks like they will miss out again this year. Wundke, Ainger and Grocke provide a potent forward line up as proved this week with 8 goal between them and at full strength the Eagles will be difficult to beat. They have a settled squad and have made some good acquisitions this year to strengthen that squad. It's hard to see anyone other than Port from denying then top spot . Forecast finish 2nd

Premiers Norwood are proving disappointing this year and whilst Redleg fans might point to the fact they suffered heavy losses of stock during the closed season, I might be fair to say that the new recruits don't understand or aren't skilled enough to execute the Norwood gameplan. Couple this to a very inexperienced coach who is trying to carry on the same strategy that worked so well for two seasons under Bassett and you seem to end up with a mix that is no longer stopping sides from scoring and not scoring big themselves. It is possible that playing a gameplan and coaching a gameplan are not necessarily complimentary. Forecast finish 5th

Sturt are another that has surprised many so far. They were expected to struggle more this year than last after losing so many back to their club in the Crows. They did however recruit very well, particularly from Port Adelaide and are playing some very attractive footy. Hard at the ball and the man, they are also very quick at moving the ball forward. When they have the ball they create spare men to give it to and when they don't have the ball they are very aggressive at closing the opposition down and winning it back. A traditional SANFL approach that has somewhat been lost over the years, and importantly, they play and look like a team. Forecast finish 3rd

Glenelg were a bit of an enigma. Made some big signings and looked like they meant business. After last season they had to do something about strengthening the squad but to many Bays fans the problems at the club ran deeper than the lack of skill on the oval. Apart from one upset, there doesn't appear to be enough changes in the mentality st the club for them to pull away from the foot of the table. With the likes of big Clint Alleway they have the capacity to kick a big score but many would also question whether players like Alleway, in the twilight of their career have the stamina and the desire to perform at SANFL level. The other problem for Glenelg is that their Spoon rivals in both South and Sturt have significantly improved this year. Forecast finish 10th

Westies started the season with confidence. They had a new coach and looked like they were building on what they had achieved over the last two seasons. Injuries have hurt them and it is hard to see where they will be come the final day. What does seem to be disappointing, not only to most watchers from other clubs but to a growing number of their own fans, is that the gamplan seems be to be the same flooding defensive approach. Still came back this week and kicked a hatful of goals and maybe with a few others coming in West may develop a more attacking style. Four straight loses at the beginning of a 20 game season might have left them with a gap to far to have an impact on the finals this year. Forecast finish 7th

North just beggar to deceive. One week irrepressible, the next week a basket case. Personally I am not convinced about the coach yet. He was from Port yet Strurt seem to get the best named recruits. We have been flattered by the scoreboard more than once this year Sturt being the latest and we don't fight enough we we are in possession. Injuries are racking up forcing North to play inexperienced youngsters which have made an impact on the performances but the big worry is the reaction from the experienced players out there. Our skill levels, which have been a bit up and down fro years, seemed to have dropped as does our kicking and decision making. still in the five just, but North Re likely to be one of a bunch who will fight it out for 5th place. Forecast finish 6th

One thing has stood out as a big positive this year in that all 8 SANFL clubs are competing on a level playing field without the advantage or disadvantage of the influence AFL listed players had in previous years. Unfortunately there seems to be far more negatives with the current situation which will need to be addressed for next season if the SANFL are to have any chAnce of surviving.
by johntheclaret
Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

The thing is though, if port were also down the bottom there would be no whinging in this thread whatsoever. It would be "sucked in, this what you wanted." People worried about two (or three) sets of rules wouldn't say a word

Smells of a little sour grapes at this point in time. But also shows that it doesn't take much to turn a really bad side into a really good one. Bottom end depth vitally important.
The ultimate prize of the SANFL league competition, the Thomas Seymour Hill trophy, is now NOT the ultimate focus of 20% of the competing clubs. The suggestion that suddenly all would be forgiven about this bastardisation simply because the sides aren't performing (as one of them isn't) is bizarre, and smacks of having NO concept of why this has been fought LONG before it happened. It's all on here benny. Do some research.

Personally I couldn't give a ratz jatz how the strong or weak the AFL reserves teams are. They shouldn't be in the SANFL league competition. End of story.

I guarantee the pungent odour you're smelling isn't sour grapes, but you will find it in most gardening shops - and, perhaps, a little closer to home.

Viva Eric!
by StrayDog
Mon May 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

None of the above.

I'm more interested because the Blues are performing better than my other Blues. And that the AFL has sooooo many junk games with coaches protecting their ego by 'limiting the damage' rather than teaching blokes how to go about winning.
by gadj1976
Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just emailed this to Chris Davies.

Hi Chris,

I know your job is to sell the concept of the two reserves teams being a meaningful part of the SANFL but for a vast majority of SANFL supporters you are fighting a losing battle, to put it mildly and politely. Enough has been written about the destruction of integrity, the insurmountable distortions of having three different sets of rules for the teams that it doesn't need repeating here.

This season was always going to go Ok, ok being the operative word here, your employers couldn't afford it not to. However it claim crowds are up doesn't help your cause especially when it's such a risibly small number and bolstered by one off events like Walker playing for the Ravens on a long weekend.

What's more concerning are membership numbers and the crowds at games between the eight remaining SANFL teams, across the board they are down. You may point to TV figures but given our massive investment in the coverage you'd be concerned if they hadn't improved. And this investment came at a time we were told without the two AFL teams financial armageddon would engulf the remaining teams.

What's missing in all of this is the long term view, after you, John and the rest of the Commission have long departed. How you expect the eight clubs to attract members after five or ten years of having two afl clubs sucking up every kid, dollar and inch of media attention is beyond me.

The challenge for the decision makers at the SANFL over the last few years has been to subtly reposition the competition as a community based, affordable alternative to the AFL. The example of Phil Herden at The Eagles should have been your template for community engagement and involvement. Instead you, and Leigh and John, chose to take the easy option of shoehorning two teams who have destroyed the integrity and meaning of the SANFL into the competition. By doing so you have destroyed any chance of the SANFL being a meaningful, relevant sporting competition not only today but into the future.

Enjoy your nice seat and Rockford's Basket Press tonight.

Sincerely,
by topsywaldron
Sat May 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt taking the piss?

LPH wrote:Perhaps they could adopt this logo next year, modified with a fist stabbing a lightning bolt through the heart of the Magpie?

The fist should be embedded up the arse of the magpie, like a glove puppet. That's what the Magpies are now.
by Pseudo
Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did start writing this in the Sturt vs Port thread, but quickly realised it was a big whinge...

Another game decided by the ridiculous advantages Port have been given with the top ups. How can Nathan Krakouer be allowed to play as a top up. Age 26, 2 AFL clubs, not a Port junior.

Sturt did well. I was hoping for a win for them. Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that the Power Reserves will be one of the Grand Finalists this year. You could have hid the mess under the carpet, for this season at least, if Port and Adelaide were mid-table or below, but season 2014 (and beyond if they don't change it) will have a massive asterisk next to it as a wasted season because winning or losing against the AFL clubs means absolutely nothing.

This is worse than Lance Armstrong and the drugs in Le Tour de France. At least the majority of riders were on the same thing back then. This SANFL season has been recommended and ratified by the SANFL Commission and its League Directors.

I will admit I was very wrong in giving this a go and LPH, Centurion, smac, whufc and co were spot on from the start. It doesn't feel right going to the football any more.

I don't care about Channel 7. I don't care about high priced recruits. I don't care about being the 2nd best competition. I don't care about the full time staff behind the scenes. I care about a level playing field and my team competing in a competition with integrity. There is simply no integrity while AFL Reserves teams are competing in the SANFL.

I think it was premature writing the SANFL off as what it was and extremely incompetent by those who made the decision to ignore/dismiss the guiding principles when coming to the decision to allow the change.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ROUND 16 - LIVE SCORES

Eagles lost a free kick count WTF??
by Jim05
Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 - Central v Port @ Playford Alive Oval (Sat 9/8

Softest free ever!!

Gotta love bitter south supporters.

WTF would I be bitter??

I just watched the footage out if interest, and as a neutral can say it was pathetic and I hate how games are decided like this. Nothing in it, and if your one that believes if your running back with the flight to spoil it should be an automatic free, you have no idea. This shits me no end, when defenders do it well but get penalised anyway. You an umpire?
by westcoastpanther
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 - Central v Port @ Playford Alive Oval (Sat 9/8

From that footage it's impossible to know if there was high contact or not, but the umpire was in good position.

Probably missed two free's in the lead up to that. Sam Gray caught high when on the ground in front of the Port bench, then Mason Shaw getting tackled and putting the ball on the ground moments later should have been holding the ball.

Anywho, you get to 7 goals down at half time you don't really deserve to win.
by Booney
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 scores and dribble

Ravens win would have been much better for Norwood but they are the joke b team of a hated shiteful organisation.

On ya Blues, we salute you.
by topsywaldron
Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pure SANFL ladder

Round 17 Pure Ladder.

Last week Sturt replaced the Eagles on top; this week the Panthers replace the Eagles in second. Next week's South v Sturt game will thus decide the Pure Minor Premiership (tm). Should Sturt and South draw and the Eagles get up (fat chance I know) then the Eagles will claim the Pure Minor Premiership (tm).

Glenelg concludes its season, improving vastly on last year's effort by climbing to 8th place on the Pure Ladder. :D

P W D F A %
Sturt 13 9 0 1137 839 57.54
South 13 9 0 1157 870 57.08
Eagles 13 9 0 1114 970 53.45
Norwood 14 8 0 1094 878 55.48
Central 13 7 0 890 902 49.67
North 13 6 0 1088 1156 48.48
West 13 3 0 857 1105 43.68
Glenelg 14 2 0 823 1440 36.37
by Pseudo
Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

I missed two games because the season had been shortened by two games to suit AFL interests.

I missed four games because they were practice matches against interlopers and not worthy of recognition.

I missed two games because I simply could not be arsed going; the dimunition of Our Competition was a factor in this.

I missed two games because I was somewhere over the Pacific: one heading northeast, one coming southwest.

I therefore attended ten games; the lowest total I have attended since 1991 when the Bays played home games at West Lakes and I spent most of my winter weekends focussing on an honours thesis. Of those ten games only one was a win.

This has been the most underwhelming season in memory, and not just because of the on-field results. I did not take out membership (due wholly to my club playing its role in allowing garbage into the comp) and have not missed it. I find myself caring very little that my mob rarely wins; I am turning up at games largely for shits and giggles: carrying on with mates, drinking overpriced pisswater, and getting away from the trouble-and-strife for an afternoon. I do not give a flying fig who "wins" the premiership at this point, coming as it will from a series of matches against teams which should not be in the competition, and not a fair measure of betterness against evenly matched teams.

I hold some hope that the situation will be mitigated next year when the dickheads in charge stop backslapping each other for long enough to realise that they've buggered the competition. I hope that in the long term the league will return to a fair competition between evenly-matched clubs. Whether this happens because the SANFL grows a set of balls, of beacuse the interlopers leave of their own volition when they find that the conditions no longer satisfy their foul needs, I do not care. I suspect that the latter reason will be the case.
by Pseudo
Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

Norwood v South even better for the comp
by CUTTERMAN
Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Wonder if Mark will only have to change a few words in his new club song?

Are you the Sturt FC's football manager?

The SANFL Twitter account confirms this.....

If Knowledge is who i think he is (based on his posts on doubleblue.org), knowledge is a very knowledgable man who is well respected amongst the SANFL community.
by am Bays
Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Millsie89 wrote:How do the Eagles have any cap space for all of these new recruits after signing Wundke, Ainger and Boyd recently? They haven't really lost many 'big earners' have they??

Well I did have a chat at cibo's earlier in he week with a board member. .....
by stan
Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

By my quick calculation, of the 30 League players that Sturt played in 2014, 17 came through the SFC junior pogram. Kirkwood, Beard and Watt from Port Adelaide, Duldig (Glenelg via the Barossa League) Hinge and Panozzo via Glenelg, Tambling, ex Crows and Rory Taggert recruited from Melbourne F.C. By those figures, the majority of SFC League players come through our junior program.......which makes it, well,,,,,,successful!

P.S Players like Michael Coad (Tumby Bay) Sam Smith (Flagstaff Hill) and Lachlan Medhurst (South East) arrived via country leagues , Tom Bartlett and Jack Kelly (Prince Alfred Old Scholars) I'd reckon most clubs would be content with that sort of ratio e.g 'home grown' vs recruits.
by knowledge
Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is Sturt still Sturt, or are they now "Stort" and making plans to wear a double blue prison bar guernsey?
With the number of ex Glenelg players appearing at Sturt in recent years, they ought to be wearing Zero Wing fighter pilot regalia... "All your Bays are belong to us".

The Sturt junior program must be something to behold. They just keep getting senior players from a handful of other SANFL clubs. "Stortelg" maybe?

Quick scan of Norwood's GF team and there's Dawe,Newton, Davis, Phillips, Wilson, Bode, Mcguiness, Baulderstone, Bartlett, Allan who are definitely recruits that didn't come through Norwood's juniors and there is probably more.

Norwood 10/21recruits = 11/21 from juniors = 52% juniors
Sturt 17 juniors out of 30 according to above = 57% juniors

Not quite an apples v apples comparison but it's worth considering some facts before throwing stones from the inside of the glasshouse. I would think a successful SANFL side would rarely be too far outside these figures despite perceptions of opposition supporters.
by SANFLnut
Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg FC

mal wrote:
dedja wrote:Awwww, how cute ... a thread for numpties to play in.

Can you be specific with your numpties implication ?
Heres a list of posters before your reply
Which ones are the numpties ?

Bounce of the ball
onthe rails
saintal
mal
kneeedeepinthehoopla
RB
topsywaldron

Yes, that's correct.
by Booney
Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Auckland 9's for SANFL??

Watching Auckland 9's as first hit out of the NRL season

Could we create something similar in SANFL?.

Have a lightning carnival before the trial games. ie early March

Something to focus attention on the league

Have it say at AAMI Stadium and Max Basheer ... just the 8 solo SANFL clubs ... twopools of 4

3 minor games say each 10 minute halves

Top 2 play a final .... 13 games in total, run over a 4 hour period.

Chance for fans to see their recruits in a hit out, clubs to sell some membership & merchandise

Thoughts?

What about :

Have it say at Elizabeth, The Bay, Prospect, Norwood, Noarlunga, Unley, Richmond and Woodville ... just the 8 SANFL clubs ... one table of 8

21 minor games say each 20 minute quarters

Top 5 play finals .... 88 games in total, run over a 6 month period.

Chance for fans to see their recruits and favourites, clubs to sell memberships & merchandise each week.

Thoughts?
by PatowalongaPirate
Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Sturt v West @ Peter Motley Oval (Sun 26/4)

A fair score line in the end thanks to a good last quarter by Sturt (particularly Kirkwood and Coad). Westies certainly didn't look like the wooden spoon side many predicted. Probably had the better of us for the first three quarters.

Still a lot of questions remaining at Unley. I'm hoping that the side just needs a few matches to gel. There are quite a few new faces this year.
by Cambridge Clarrie
Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |