Search found more than 1112 matches

Return

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

Ravens fans won't travel to Alberton because they only know of one footy venue in SA.
by Magellan
Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

Jim05 wrote:Lucky to be 2000 there by the looks and 1990 of them are Power supporters.

A few Crows fans are hiding in the bouncy castle though.
by Magellan
Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kids Eating Habits

Bum Crack wrote:My daughter is a pain in the arse when it comes to fussy eating and she's 18 and still at home. We cook what we want now and if she doesn't like it, she can stick it up her arse and get her own dinner.

You've cultivated a very self-sufficient form of recycling.
by Magellan
Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best and Worst of 2016

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Clubs should hire Jacko for goal kicking drills

Don't let him take any shots at goal unless you're prepared to buy the footys back at Cash Convertors.
by Magellan
Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mum is an excellent Baker, and mostly isnt a bad cook, its just that "born in the 50s housewife" style if that makes sense
I think of it as the 'slavish devotion to the Margaret Fulton Cookbook' school of cooking.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mR6GvW8XsZNJVt3tJEWkGkw.jpg

Want to make something 'exotic' or 'foreign'? Stick some fruit on it! Ham with pineapple rings (and some glace cherries) anyone?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a9/48/0a/a9480abf1fa69fc1e1b66a2cc79e53a7.jpg
by Magellan
Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Zartan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Chicken tonight got a fair workout too

I.. feel.. like CHICKEN TONIGHT.. Chicken Tonight, Chicken Tonight!

by Magellan
Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We had Chicken Tonight recently and it was foul. I banned it.
Since I haven't looked for Chicken Tonight at the supermarket since....forever, I can't tell if this is a legitimate observation or a pun!

Good work either way, DW.

Both ;)
So you can still buy it. I think I'd prefer a jar of Today Tonight instead.
by Magellan
Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was one of those things, that along with quail and chook were always out in the backyard, helped the old man tend to them as a little tacker and never thought much about it as that was just what we did.

Quail and pigeon were rare, we didn't have them often. Usually when the population expanded and needed to be kept in check! :D

Also had pheasants, the odd sheep, even had an owl in the shed once! The old man worked for Ansett, someone brought in an owl from interstate, never collected in and being the early 80's it was whoever wanted it, so it came home and lived in the shed briefly before escaping.

For some clarity, we lived on a double block in Brooklyn Park, 1/4 acre with house and yard and then another 1/4 acre behind us that was ours, had a myriad of chook pens and enclosures and a massive shed.
That's quite the cornucopia. Boon by name, boon by nature. ;)
by Magellan
Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 20 North vs South

South to win the American Civil War in a canter. Good for their finals hopes, but a setback for emancipation.
by Magellan
Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vale Ted Langridge.

Ted Langridge (Sturt Football Club)
1963 – 65 (54 games, 80 goals)

After suffering from dementia for some time, former Richmond and Sturt player Ted Langridge has recently died. Langridge, who began his football career in the VFL with Richmond (94 games, 149 goals), was a chunky rover/half forward who certainly knew his way around goal.

He was a three time leading goal-kicker with Richmond (1958, 1961-62) and had been a member of the Tigers reserves premiership team in 1955.

At the end of 1962, Sturt officials arrived in Melbourne hoping to sign Richmond’s Col Saddington for the coming season. By the time the 1963 season began, Sturt had signed both Saddington and Langridge from Richmond, despite an offer from the legendary Jack ‘Captain Blood’ Dyer for Langridge to become the Tigers’ next captain.

Also joining Langridge at Sturt in 1963 was Graham ‘Dodger’ Ryan from North Melbourne and Hawthorn 1961 Hawthorn premiership ruckman, Malcolm Hill. Coach Jack Oatey, in only his second year at Unley, was building a group who understood what team football was all about. With talented youngsters coming through, the Sturt Football Club was on the verge of becoming a SANFL power.

Langridge was unlucky to miss the 1965 Grand Final and who knows if history may have been altered had he played. An injured shoulder, a couple of weeks before the finals, required injections to enable Langridge to play. He wanted to rest it for the last game, to be fit for the finals, but the coach wanted him to play. Langridge did not play the last game – and Oatey did not play him during the finals. Langridge never played for Sturt again.

In his football retirement, Langridge also became a well-known commentator and football panellist with Channel Nine and later, after returning to Adelaide from a stint in Perth, with Channel Seven.

Ted Langridge was also a very useful cricketer who played 55 first grade matches with the Sturt Cricket Club as a wicket-keeper/batsman, making one century and claiming 109 victims (79c, 30st).

In 1978, he took a surprise call from Jack Oatey who wanted him to become team manager of the Blues, a role Langridge held from 1978-80. A broken back from a horse riding accident in 1992 slowed him down somewhat but he eventually recovered. Until his death, in July 2016, Ted Langridge remained a Blue at heart, renewing his club membership each year. He was 79 and will be missed by his family, friends and the Blues faithful.
by Magellan
Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

South were too good, which should be no real surprise to supporters of either side. Powerhouse second half. Good on 'em, hope they can go the whole way this year. North showed (again) they can match the good sides for a bit, but not for four quarters. An improvement on the shit sandwich that was North's 2015 season, but still along way to go.

What North'd give for a forward like Brett Eddy. 7 goals, hats off to him. Some kicked from very acute angles...including the one late in the last which he kicked from inside the boundary line on the south western flank. I was standing right on the fence where he took the mark, which at the time I disputed as being taken over the line. My subsequent attempt at distracting his shot at goal also failed as his kick curved perfectly around for a(notehr) goal. Eddy then turned around and gave me a very satisfied and purposeful glare as he ran back to his position.
Eddy 1, Magellan 0. :oops: ;)
by Magellan
Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

So the Crows Reserves have clinched an historic finals berth. I'm sure all Crows fans are excited by this.

Given the Crows Seniors are also a shoe-in for the finals, I wonder how this will be reflected in the SANFL finals matches they'll play? Given all Crows fans will be naturally focusing on AFL premiership glory we may have some below standard attendances on our hands. Also, whether master coach and part-time Crows match attendee Heath Younie coaches his side to win (as would be expected in finals) or manages the squad in the best interests of the senior side's premiership tilt will be the ultimate test of its 'play to the line' policy. It'd be a travesty for a final to be won against a side with an ulterior motive to winning.

On the flip side, it's a good opportunity for all those who object to their presence to get on down to Adelaide Oval (funnily enough, it's the equivalent to their home ground given it's their club's home ground and they train on it), back whoever they're playing, and lend some support for the proposition that they shouldn't be there. Maybe someone should dust off* Eric?
by Magellan
Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magellan you can see a photo of this "incident' if you go safc.com.au under photo's there is a photo of Brett Eddy is giving you that look that you may deserved as i wasn't too far away laughing like a child :D .
:lol:

Great. A slice of humble pie served up for as along as South's servers stay online. ;)
by Magellan
Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

Trojan horse?
So we put Eric inside a giant Apricot slice, leave it outside the gates, then say in a loud voice, "Okay, we are going now!".
The ravens will then hastily rush the giant Apricot slice inside the gates, congratulating each other on the foolishness of regular SANFL fans, leaving such a delicious looking Apricot slice within reach. Then, as they head off to get the paper plates and forks, Eric leaps out of the Apricot slice, throws open the gates, then we storm the ravens' strong-hold, shouting our slogans in front of the cameras, waving Eric about whenever a goal is kicked. Those ravens ninnys will have no idea what to do.
I like it.
Good plan, although it goes against my usual preference to use a Trojan rabbit.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/files/2007/11/trojanrabbit.jpg

Perhaps the two could be incorporated together? Since rabbits can eat apricots, any sticky-beaked Crows Reserves supporters will not bat an eyelid if they happen to catch Eric being loaded inside beforehand.
by Magellan
Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

therisingblues wrote:That's a pretty smooth dance move the guy in green is pulling there.
Not sure if a football field is the right place for it, but if security didn't have an issue with it, then I guess it must be alright.

Definitely shades of this...

by Magellan
Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - Port v Norwood @ Alberton

A upset Bodes for the Power Reserves. Norwood are Fuller good players from their flag years in Cachia didn't know.
by Magellan
Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - WWT Eagles v Glenelg @ Woody

The eagles to top of a Sellar season and win well
To be fair, it's West who've had the Sellar season. ;)

The Eagles will be Boyd about the prospect of finals, although a Hayes of overconfidence could Koster the minor premiership. Howard that feel? Whoever from the Eagles misses out can amuse themselves in the Poole Hall.
by Magellan
Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - West v Ravens @ Berri

another grub wrote:Over the Hill and in the Green pastures of Berri. No where near the beech of Middleton

Oh Dear, I think you Caire too much about making puns! I guess you're a Carey sort of person, Tucking yourself in at Knight.
by Magellan
Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Disgraceful to throw a banana at Eddie Betts

Was this an intentional racist attack or did she just pick up the nearest thing to her without thinking and threw it

Either way there is zero excuses for throwing stuff on the oval, any ban she gets will be worthy!!
I thought with what's happened in recent times footy crowds were past this type of disgraceful behaviour.
by Magellan
Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - West v Ravens @ Berri

Crows Reserves by 10 goals at the half.
by Magellan
Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R21 - Sturt v North @ Unley

Sturt were deserved winners, having played closer to four quarters of footy than North did.

We did give them a shake at the end, which is heartening, but also somewhat frustrating this year has been characterized by a number of honorable losses against quality sides. North seem to turn it up to 10 for a short periods of the game and are competitive if not on top, and then switch it back to 2 and fall out of the game again. Hopefully Carr by now knows what personnel he needs for improvement and the purse-string holders at Prospect give him full salary cap access to spend up. Hopefully he also knows who's not up to it.

Sturt will be very competitive come finals, although I'm not sure they've got the might to get over South and the Weagles. Will be interesting to watch, though.

Anyway, can't argue too much about the result, at least the umpires turned up.
by Magellan
Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

While she is getting what she deserves I do cringe that the media have found out where she has lives, named her and chucked cameras in her face as she tried to leave home in a car.

I think its been handled really well right up to now, and the last thing anyone would want is to tip her over the edge with all the pressure she is getting. I think the media have a role to play here and step back a touch.

The media in this country are disgusting. They smell blood in the water and they all go in for the kill and then dance on the victim's grave. If you ever call them out on it though they have this appalled reaction and hide behind this "public interest" nonsense.

Leave the girl alone. She's copped her whack and will be dealt with through official channels. Certainly no need to harass someone in the name of a story.
Yes, couldn't agree more. She's been outed, has accepted the error of her ways and is doing something about it. The last thing she needs now is a witch-hunt, whether it's by the media or the public in general.
by Magellan
Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 22 - South v Adelaide @ Hickinbotham Oval (Sat 27/

Wedgie wrote:The whole of the state is behind you South! Go Panthers!

The new team for all South Australians!
by Magellan
Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Narcos season 2 on Netflix from 2 September!

by Magellan
Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 23 - The bitter end, for some.

helicopterking wrote:I had a 50yr old man tell me to enjoy my walk out and make sure I'm looking over my shoulder the whole time, from about 5 rows back.

It's a quite an achievement to be pathetic and hilarious at the same time.
by Magellan
Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Is there any chance of a turnout @ the Elimination Final next Saturday - to barrack against the Cows?
Not that I'm suggesting something be organised, more so wondering if the whole thing has actually run its course & people have 'dropped off' caring?
With no AFL Finals this week, the crowd numbers might well be up as Cows supports (dare I say it, 4000 of them) may actually turn up.
Such a 'result' will no doubt be used by the 'Pro-Reserves Lobby' to support their argument?
Depends if the Advertiser or 5AA tells them it's on. ;)

Seriously though, a few Crows fans will probably turn up, those that aren't still in conniptions over Friday night's loss. ;)

Seriously though, I think there might be an even spread of Centrals fans, Crows fans and neutrals barracking against the Crows. I'm keen to pop down and check out both games and perhaps lend the 'Dogs a hand.
by Magellan
Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

RIP Gene Wilder. A man who was very funny in a lot of different movies.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... r43cx.html
by Magellan
Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

JK wrote:The Richmond bloke that rang into SEN yesterday, if you haven't heard it, get onto it

Yep, great call JK, very funny stuff from Mario in Doncaster.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4985668-mari ... -long-year
by Magellan
Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

The bottom line here is that this was an absolutely common sense decision by the SANFL. CEY has missed two SANFL games all season and replaced a suspended player otherwise it would have been one. The permit system is in place for exactly this sort of situation, so it is completely within the rules and by no means an abuse of the system. Absolutely the right and logical call.
Logical if you see things purely from a Crows point of view.

Moreover, what are the criteria that the SANFL have to consider in making such a decision, and more importantly, what is the league's justification for overturning CEY's ineligibility? Surely it's not an automatic approval simply based on the request of the Crows. Centrals must have some right of reply. They must be afforded procedural fairness, the right to at least plead their case that the addition of CEY is unwarranted given the Crows must be presumed to have known the effect of picking him against West Coast, and now want to have their cake and eat it too.
by Magellan
Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Before I get howled down by the masses - I agree the SANFL have been spineless through out this whole ordeal since the Reserves sides came in and I don't like that they are in..

However, surely logic prevails in this situation.. CEY has played 2 AFL games all year, and 18 SANFL games. People cant feel hard done by that he is playing this week. He has played all year, he was a suspension replacement and would have been dropped this week if the AFL hadn't stupidly scheduled a bye after round 23 and we had AFL finals to watch this weekend.. I know its the rules that you are ineligible if you played AFL in the last round, but I think CEY qualifies for the extenuating circumstances in this case.

Seedsman, Sloane and Smith would be different cases as they all played majority of AFL, Seedsman only having played a couple of SANFL games. I don't think they should play this week
But what are these 'extenuating circumstances'? There are a set of rules in place, to ensure the Crows don't stack sides in finals, which the Crows are (presumably) aware of. They picked CEY in full knowledge of the consequences of doing so - this includes the consequences for both of their teams. He's replacing a suspended player? That's not good enough grounds for overturning his ineligibility. That's the Crows own fault (by extension), because Rory Sloane didn't have to clobber Ebert in the Showdown and get rubbed out for a week. Sloane keeps his fist to himself, he plays against the Eagles, and CEY stays in the twos and qualifies under the rules. By trying to overturn something that was entirely within their control the Crows want their apricot slice and to eat it too.

The rules are there for a reason. Unless the permit is a rubber stamp upon request, the onus is on the Crows to demonstrate what the extenuating circumstances are to justify eligibility. We're yet to know what these circumstances are.

The other issue here is not just this 'get into the SANFL finals free card' for ineligible players, but the fact that under the rules (as I understand it) Sloane, Seedsman, and Smith have qualified simply because they didn't play last week. The fact they've played the majority of games at AFL levels this year (as HT pointed out) suggests they should also be ineligible, not merely considered unavailable at the coach's discretion. In all honesty, I'm thankful Younie hasn't opted to pick these players when he is full within his rights to do so.
by Magellan
Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you guys are bitching about letting a player play for his SANFL side when he has played 89% of his games there this year, you need to get a life. Rule or not, he deserves his spot in the SANFL side regardless. Get over it and move on. Sounds like making excuses for a loss already.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/66487768.jpg
by Magellan
Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Especially with the 19th man on the Crows side ;)
Oh great. That's all we need, the bloody 19th man to make an 'appearance'.
would be the first time this season they have shown up for a 2's game ;)
I've heard some breaking news that the 19th man is also eligible to play this weekend. Only took Younie a couple of extra phone calls.
by Magellan
Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bullsh!t. It was talked about long before he coached the crows.
Talked about, yes, informally and as an alternative concept in the media whenever issues arose with managing fringe players under the previous club-based system.

But Sanderson made the reserves sides happen. It was his brainchild to implement a system akin to Geelong and Collingwood who were strong at the time as soon as he was appointed in late 2011. In the the 7 and a bit seasons before him, Neil Craig had been a supporter of the club-based system (somewhat ironically, because as Norwood's coach he often played players in positions contrary to the Crows' wishes) and I'm not aware of any serious public discussion by him or the Crows on the issue, not like the following media statements by Sanderson. Happy to be corrected.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sando-in-sanfl-reserves-team-call/story-e6frecoc-1226228802287

COACH Brenton Sanderson has signalled his interest in the Crows having their own reserves in the SANFL.

When - and in what format - it would be introduced remains a mystery but what is clear is the former Geelong assistant's desire to control the development of his youthful playing list. "We'll just keep chipping away," Sanderson said.

"I think for the club it's certainly something on the agenda and something we would love to have.

"A reserves side is going to make us better as a football club and a football team."

Sanderson, who is fresh out of a Cats system that includes a reserves team in the VFL, has seen first-hand the benefits of having a seconds side.

Unlike his predecessor, Neil Craig, who spoke glowingly of his men playing in team-orientated environments at SANFL clubs, Sanderson is convinced shadowing the Cats and Collingwood is the way to go.

"Typically the sides which have their own players go back and get coached by coaches who are within the football club, are the ones who have the quicker improvement," Sanderson said.

"For the development of our younger kids it's imperative at some stage down the track we have a reserves side. We understand it's a delicate issue but at the same time, from my point of view as senior coach, we would love to have it.

"But we're not going to shove it down anyone's throat just yet, but we'll keep chipping away at it."

It is understood one proposal being considered is the Crows' reserves side playing whatever SANFL side has the bye, but not for premiership points. But this scenario could lend itself to the SANFL club resting senior players.

Sanderson then continued the rhetoric in mid 2013:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/crows-reserves-a-must-in-2014-says-adelaide-coach-brenton-sanderson/story-fndv862c-1226658133304

BRENTON Sanderson says Adelaide must field a stand-alone reserves team next year or it will risk falling further behind the AFL's power clubs.

"It's really important from my point of view as a senior coach," Sanderson said as the Crows joined hometown rival Port Adelaide in ramping up their push to field their own side in the SANFL.

"If we didn't get a reserves side up next year we would be, I think, the only team that doesn't send its players to one club. It's massive, it really is.

"I've seen the Geelong model and the Geelong program works so successfully with the development of young players getting drafted and coming through their own system.

"What's important is that if we can get our own team we can actually try and fight that battle against Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, those sorts of teams that have had their reserves teams up and running for a number of years, which really helps their development.

"I'm not sure where we're at with the negotiation phase of it, getting it up and running, but we'll almost certainly have our own team next year."

The Power wants its SANFL affiliate, the Port Magpies, to be its reserves side from next year.

Sanderson said he'd like his players who aren't playing in the AFL each week to play in one team in the SANFL's league competition.

But he said the main priority is just getting them to play together, even if it is in the reserves. Other options are the VFL and NEAFL competitions, which host Victorian and Sydney and Brisbane clubs respectively.

While Sanderson said he wanted his non-selected players challenged in the strongest competition available, getting the team up and running was the priority.

"We'd want our own team playing in the strongest competition available but ultimately we want our own team first of all," he said.

"But coming up against Sydney this week, the young kid (Tom) Mitchell, who played really well for them last week, in his previous two games he had 56 and 52 possessions playing in the NEAFL.

"So that's also the debate - where are players going to learn and develop the most? But primarily, let's get our own second team first."

Under the current system, the Crows lose some control over their non-selected AFL players, who must line up for their SANFL clubs and often play different positions and learn different game styles.

"Obviously Port has got a fair bit of control over its players at the Port Magpies and ultimately that's what we'd like," Sanderson said.

"Apart from development it helps with the retention because our players can play together rather than go and play for the nine SANFL teams.

"It would be nice to be able to tell them when we draft them they will always play for the Crows."

Sanderson said the "wheels are certainly in motion for us to get a second team up and running".

"We're a long way down the path," he said.

"Phil Harper (football operations manager) and David Noble (list manager) are working hard behind the scenes."
by Magellan
Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

Grenville wrote:Dropping the price of a beer to under $38 a pint wouldn't hurt either. Neither would getting the Westies mob there cooking steak sambos.

And served by the guy from 'Love They Neighbour'. ;)
by Magellan
Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not that it really matters much, on Cracka's posts re the timing of the reserves debate, it had certainly been floated well prior to 2012, although there is no argument that Sanderson took it up strongly and got the support of the club strongly behind the push. I came across a tape recently dating back to some time in 1997 where Graham Cornes was strongly pushing for it and he and KG were arguing over it. I'm unable to provide context or what led to the discussion, but he was strongly arguing for a Crows reserves team at the time. I have a feeling that around this time the Crows were having an issue with Neil Craig and Norwood, so it is possible that this was behind this discussion, but I can't say for certain.
And that was my point - not about who discussed, argued the merits of, floated, posited or dreamed up the concept of a reserves side (I mean, we all know reserves sides have been around ever since clubs have been around), but who wanted to take it from a concept and make it a reality. Whether that makes it Sanderson's 'brainchild' or not, so be it, that's really a semantic argument.

I acknowledged in my original post that the idea was tossed around in the early days of the Crows in the media, particularly re: Neil Craig, and I can also remember KG and Cornes going on about it at various points in time back in the 90s. But as you say, Matt, the guy who took up the idea and had the desire and ability to convince the club to put it into action was Sanderson.
by Magellan
Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good onya Roy those AFL INTERLOPERS were told CDFC keep up the fight to get rid of this AFL CONTAGION out of the SANFL

NO AFL IN THE SANFL

in simple words just
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

Well put. I hope we make it as hostile an environment as possible Saturday.
Any chance of a Crows equivalent of the "dead magpie on a stick" from the 1979 finals?
by Magellan
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cheers, csbowes.

To be fair, most Crows fans are facing an ethical conundrum, since today's final coincides with the judging of the best 'home-made two-handed mug that most resembles Taylor Walker' at the Royal Show.
by Magellan
Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

An historic first ever finals win for the Crows Reserves. I hear they're having their own 'shed' party tonight to celebrate with their fans.

Just look for the Tyson Stenglein-shaped Crows birdbath at 22 Macrame Drive, Somerton Park. Ask for Mr or Mrs McMackelthorpe, and please be sure to close the side gate on the way through, in case 'Taylor' their poodle-spaniel cross gets out.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/06/39/26/063926e247b4a032729e96582e1e1fa6.jpg
by Magellan
Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Week 1 Finals - LIVE Scores @ Adelaide Oval

Wedgie wrote:Hard thought game.

One for the strategists, then. ;)
by Magellan
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Sturt AO Saturday September 3 @ 3:10

The Mighty 'Thers by plenty on their march towards a flag!

Let's all hope for a South v Central Grand Final, no other clubs deserve to be there.

And of course you wouldn't think that this years minor premier and runner up from 2015 would be worthy.
Every club that voted Yes is not worthy.

agreed. ill gladly attend a south/central grand final.
Be careful, so will the Crips and the Bloods ;)
by Magellan
Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I rang the SANFL during the week, though expressing my opinion was no doubt pretty futile. I emailed the SANFL in the second quarter of yesterday's game, though no doubt the email will go nowhere.

I suggest members of the bendover clubs, should both email and phone their clubs and the SANFL. It might be futile (you never know), but at least they have your views on record (again after the meetings three years ago). Now you can say you were right. We now have the failed results of the experiment.
Love the activist sentiment Dogs 72, but from a North Adelaide point of view it would be futile. In fact I think I heard the club is investing it's pokie war-chest into CSIRO research on whether it can bend over further to accommodate the AFL sides.

As Tipper (I think) posted yesterday the North hierarchy are happy to go down with the ship on this one. Not surprising for a club that, IMHO, prioritises the generation of AFL talent and pokie profits as it's own equivalent of a 'premiership' over cultivating on-field success and considering the views of its members and their desire to see finals success. And a president who wants a cushy SANFL gig.

As for the league, I'm sure you're well aware that website hits, twitter account hashtags, and high scores on all Candy Crush platforms are at record highs so the league's actually in great shape. But your email is important to Mr Olsen and I'm sure he values your cooperative and constructive thoughts, and a personally emailed pro-forma response from a generic league email account might be sent back to you if Mr Olsen can (a) distinguish his arse from his elbow, and (b) be bothered getting the necessary permit from the Adelaide Crows. ;)
by Magellan
Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

southee wrote:Like Keith Conlon , I go for both Sturt and the Crows ......the old 2 hat thing!

Hooray for Everything!

by Magellan
Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How many ballots did they hold before the "acceptable" yes vote was taken?
I remember Port trying to push it through, and getting knocked back at least once, I have a feeling there might've been another vote ir two held before the Crows really applied the pressure. It has been mentioned that at least one club president had his business interests threatened.
I recall the Crows put forth their first proposal mid 2013 IIRC and it was knocked back unanimously, then they came back with a modified scheme that got over the line in which Tripodi changed his tune.

Yes, I read somewhere here FWIW that someone was made 'an offer they couldn't refuse.' The Crows and Sando (remember him?) were desperate to get the reserves thing happening ASAP. As the long-term sporting darlings of SA sport the Crows have plenty of resources, devoted corporate followers and powerful connections which I'm sure were put to good use in maximizing leverage. It's rare for any negotiation to occur where both parties are on a level playing field, particularly with another party who is has a recognized weakness. The Crows knew a lot of the clubs were under considerable financial stress (not mine, which doesn't explain why the f**k they voted for it), and IMHO exploited it. Everyone has a price, which for the SANFL clubs is apparently $50,000 a year. The scales were heavily tipped in the Crows favour to get what they wanted, and once they found the clubs' breaking point, they did.
by Magellan
Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm actually surprised Jars has adopted the 'get them out' approach, would've thought he'd be on the AFL sides' bandwagon. He's a knob, but he might get through to others who like his schtick (whoever they are).

Crows players are the last people to get the tension over the reserves, mainly because they're so invested in the club, insulated by its culture, and everything that comes with being the most popular sporting team in a state. They're not going to crap on the hand that feeds them very, very well.

Odd logic, though. Jacobs' elimination final this weekend isn't a grand final either, so it doesn't really count then? On that basis they haven't played a game that matters in about twenty years. I guess that could be his excuse if they lose! Good strategy, Sam, hedge your bets (not Betts) and lower expectations early.
by Magellan
Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cows Prediction

This constant bashing of the Crows is a yawn fest. When are all the whingers going to grow up and get over it. It's seriously boring :rolleyes:
It's time to just accept it as they are here to stay,
Back in the early 1940s there were Parisians who adopted a similar attitude with a gallic shrug, while Hitler's panzers were still streaming across the Seine.

A few years later these same folk were paraded down Paris streets with shaven heads, publically shamed for collaboration.
Good to know someone else has watched the special features in the "Allo Allo" boxed set. ;)
by Magellan
Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Come out to local footy with your mates in an environment... without being crushed by ridiculous crowds .
Definitely 100% correct on that score. There is certainly no chance of being crushed, although that's because the attendances hardly fall within the popular definition of the term 'crowd'.

To be serious, yes, I agree there are some salient points you raise about the positives of the comp - family vibe, playing for the jumper etc. Mind you, I can watch lower grades and still see talented kids, and playing against an 18 year old AFL-listed draftee is hardly a marquee match-up. Seeing a part-time SANFL player line up against Taylor Walker will bring AFL acolytes through the gates, but is not a sustainable marketing strategy. As a footballing contest, top-flight AFL professionals coming back from injury vs SANFL part-timer is, you'd have to admit, a contest likely to be resolved in the former's favour.

Look, I'll tell you why we're all negative. Politics. In three years the product that the SANFL is peddling had dropped considerably, and those with a strong connection to it are concerned on a number of fronts. We might be dreaming, as we kept being told, but we want an AFL free comp administered by a governing body who cares about its long-term future. Not an SANFL pre-1991, that is gone. An SANFL circa 2013 that recognises its place in the footy world would suit. If you want to force change you want in the world, you have bring attention to it what you see is wrong. Sitting around telling everyone about the silver lining and positives that are largely outweighed by the negatives of inequity, integrity, and poor administration isn't going to achieve the results we want, no matter how valid those positives might be in and of themselves. The more we agitate and express our disenchantment, not just here in the echo-chamber of the internet but out in the real world, the more likely that seed might just germinate somewhere that starts the process that gets us a better outcome than the one we've got. Maybe that seed was sown on the weekend. Time (and Jars ;) ) will tell. In the interim, we'll keep pushing our barrow.
by Magellan
Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting to see Ruccuito's piece in today's Advertiser talking up why the Crows reserves are good for the league. Curious as to why a Crows board member felt the need to use its key propaganda agent to push its agenda at this time of the year, when surely from a Crows' point of view it is axiomatic that the reserves are a great idea? Conversely, why would the Advertiser want to publish a story on this when it could fill the paper with oodles of pre-elimination final material?

Perhaps the rumblings and meetings in the last week or so have some people worried? Maybe, but probably unlikely. The more plausible explanation is that the airing of views contrary to the interests of the most important sporting franchise in this state really irks the powers that be, and they feel the need to silence any criticism. Be thankful it's only footy and not politics.
by Magellan
Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

wild dog wrote: Biggest support group I saw was the flag bearers at the start of the game. That group ably demonstrated the Crows demographic, god bless em.

Bright red cheeks, and white hair with a blue rinse?

Hang on, they could've been bulldogs fans! ;)
by Magellan
Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

goddy11 wrote:this is a dodgey poll. the pro reserves case is losing.

Edited for accuracy.
by Magellan
Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |