Search found more than 1112 matches

Return

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/272b9941acc96a44de9e31d2ecc70a42.jpg
Spinal Tap, err, I mean Iron Maiden were fantastic last night! ;)

Seriously, what a band. Professional like clockwork, yet they (and they must be pushing 60) ran around like madmen having the time of their lives and carrying on like it was their first gig. They take the music very seriously, but they don't take themselves seriously and that came across last night.

Great to see the dueling guitarists, Murray and Smith can shred hard. Bruce Dickinson somehow still has a huge voice, and gets points for stopping 'Fear of the Dark' just before its conclusion and calling out a guy in the crowd for being 'over enthusiastic' who was being 'restrained' by a couple of others. This chump then gave the finger back to Dicko, who gave it back to Mr chump with both barrels (along the lines of 'come back stage and I'll f**k you up') and was (from what I could tell) promptly chucked out by security.

Third-string guitarist Janick Gers gets points for looking the most like a member of Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden tank top, skin tight black jeans and a white sneakers) but loses points for poncily skipping around the stage too much.

And they played three songs from one of the greatest metal albums ever, with a good deal of other Maiden classics.
by Magellan
Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Pseudo wrote: In my ignorance I caught the train, and am now packed into a carriage nose-to-armpit with a horde of bogans having "19" scrawled all over their vestments.

Damn those Paul Hardcastle fans. ;)
by Magellan
Fri May 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

I've vowed not to go to any AFL reserves games this year as it just leaves me with bitter feelings towards the comp. I've given the reserves teams a fair go but no longer.
^ This. As I stated in another thread, I drew the same conclusion after witnessing last week's game at Prospect. I just can't watch those games anymore. A win doesn't really count if the other team are using it as practice, and a loss is a horrible feeling when you know the opposition are not really trying.
by Magellan
Sun May 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

Wedgie wrote:Poor form Eagles. So anti animal.

NOOOO!!!!! ANIMAL WANT WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB MEMBERSHIP!!!!

by Magellan
Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

cracka wrote:Love this, especially the last line "before you complain, have you volunteered yet"

Indeed. Pity we need such signs, but given there are parents out there with abnormally high wanker ranking, it's a great idea.
by Magellan
Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Well said JTC.

Presumably this 100k fund target needs to be met by the end of this year/season. Surely there are clubs that are in financial positions that simply cannot satisfy this requirement, such as Glenelg?
by Magellan
Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This issue has been with the clubs for many, many months, and it's a surprise to all of you? Are any of you actually close to the clubs you support?

Breathtaking.
Not all clubs, Einstein. Mine made a motza last year, and has done so consistently. You know that the surprise is this target thing which has come out of seemingly nowhere.

Better troll next time. Mind you, you've had a bit of practice by now with minimal improvement.

Embarrassing.
by Magellan
Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State Team

VALE PARK wrote:I wonder what Lindner,Euctice,Carey,Pope,Window,Simunsen,Wedding,Motley,Bagshaw,Head,Marker,Darley would be thinking?

That they could get a game.
by Magellan
Thu May 19, 2016 9:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I like the fact that it seems so easy from the SANFLs point of view.

Just make a $100k.

Easy as that apparently. ......
Like I said before, the SANFL is going to be very busy next year in 'assisting changes in the club’s spending or revenue sourcing.'

no they wont.
Yes, you're right. The SANFL are far, far too busy kissing the ar$ecrack of the two AFL clubs to do anything else. John Olsen's lips certainly have seen better days (although the words that pass through them haven't).
by Magellan
Thu May 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, you're right. The SANFL are far, far too busy kissing the ar$ecrack of the two AFL clubs to do anything else. John Olsen's lips certainly have seen better days (although the words that pass through them haven't).

maybe we should buy him a chapstick for his birthday?
Good idea. Make sure it's a deep shade of brown to provide a good match, otherwise it will show.
by Magellan
Thu May 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9: Centrals v Adelaide - Saturday 21 May @ My Money Hou

Dogs to win. The Ravens have lost their spiritual figurehead in Van Berlo, and I'm not sure they have another over-rated ex-AFL captain marking time to replace him.
by Magellan
Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 2016 Live Scores

Well done Centrals.

Sounds like the Crows kept hanging around, refusing to go away...a bit like their existence in our competition.
by Magellan
Sat May 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I HATE IT WHEN THE MEDIA GET IT WRONG...

Despite being hungover I thought Id drive to the servo and grab an iced coffee and a paper.
No mention or article on Hawks v Sydney, no mention or article on Norwood v West and it has Port and South playing today not tomorrow.
In their defence there is an article about how a Crows player and Gold Coast player have the same name, intriguing stuff.
And no, Im not in the country, I live 5 minutes from the CBD.
WTF?
I didnt think this piece of trash could get any worse but it does!
And that's why I don't buy the paper anymore.... nailed it. 2 Players with the same name, fascinating......was it the lead story?
Let me guess - Daniel Talia and Daniel Currie? What a coincidence!
by Magellan
Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9: Centrals v Adelaide - Saturday 21 May @ My Money Hou

Counted 7 Crows supporters and one of them was the ex leader of the Centrals cheersquad. I'm surprised he didn't change into Centrals colours after the game as loyalty is obviously not one of his traits.
Good to see that counting crows is more than a band from the nineties, it's a fun activity to keep you interested during a practice match!
by Magellan
Sun May 22, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 in all its folderol...

No. Check out my picture, I'm a sixteenth century male Portuguese explorer with a beard and a silly hat.
by Magellan
Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9 in all its folderol...

Hope Gdubs bring this form to AO next week.

Your spite towards Adelaide is hilarious mate. What happened to make you so bitter and twisted?
What's more hilarious is that Crows fans still don't understand that there are people who don't think they're God's gift to football.

Everyone's entitled to have a favourite team, and every footy fan has a favourite team they love to beat. For some, it's the Crows. Plenty of reasons why they're hated, like their attitude on the SANFL reserves, their nauseating presence throughout the local media, and the startling lack of footy knowledge of their fans who in the main fail to acknowledge and appreciate the presence of a longstanding SA football tradition despite that being the cause of their existence. I'm sure others can add to the list.

As for spite, I'm not sure CM's post goes that far. But it'll be available in spades the next time the Crows reserves play a sovereign SANFL side.
by Magellan
Mon May 23, 2016 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Political advertising

stan wrote:But not dance on tables though.

I think you're talking about Kevin Rudd's visit to a New York strip club.
by Magellan
Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Lightning McQueen wrote:The chicks at work, if only I was younger, better looking and had a bigger willy.

If they knew you ticked the box* for column* (c) then you wouldn't need to worry about columns (a) and (b).
by Magellan
Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You know you're nearing 40 in Adelaide, when you remembe

The Virgin Megastore in the then Myer Centre in Rundle Mall, and the spot on the ground floor where they provided headphones for you to listen to the latest releases.
by Magellan
Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 - Adelaide v Sturt @ Thebby

Conlon makes it sounds like he's going to watch his grandkids play on opposing teams in an under 8's match or similar. Self parody it has to be.
Wishful thinking, Ronnie. I'm not sure Mr Postcards possesses that degree of irony, given he's a dyed-in-the-wool Crows fan. He's just demonstrating with saying it outright that he's not really that much of a Sturt fan anymore. A real Sturt fan would support Sturt at all costs.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was just about to turn 33 when this thread started... and now I"m pushing 40 (well 39 this year).

Sad.

39? Whippersnapper. :P
Back when I was 33 we never had none of your fancy bell-type two-way electronical internet 'threads', all we had was old rope and an off-cut of second-hand string if we were lucky!

You lucky bastard, when I was 33 I had to walk through 8ft of snow with bare feet and dysentery just to get to a man with a donkey who could only transmit a four letter sentence on a Sunday with a full moon after the second incarnation of a bedouin transsexual.
You try and tell the kids of today's that, and they won't believe you.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 - Adelaide v Sturt @ Thebby

The LifeFM guys were saying a crowd of about 3000 and Ravens supporters were well out-numbered, as is the norm. From memory the two teams pulled more than that at Unley earlier in the year. Perhaps not the result those that made the decision were hoping for.
It was the result Keith Conlon was hoping for. Mind you, so too was the result at three quarter time.
by Magellan
Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

The AFL Reserves sides have not destroyed the SANFL competition
Not yet, but you'd have to admit the writing is most certainly on the wall. The lack of atmosphere at a Crows or Port reserves game suggests they're not adding anything to the comp. I'd like to know the extent of losses sustained by the home clubs each time they host the Crows or Port. The integrity question of whether they 'play to the line' also remains a live issue for supporters that can never be objectively resolved.

hardly anyone mentions them at the League Director level and the SANFL is 100% committed to keeping them in the competition for the full 15 years.
As if the league directors would now openly or in camera admit that the admission of the reserves sides was an error, given it was their sole responsibility to vote them in the first place. They'll go to their graves convinced one way or another that it was the best thing for the league, even if compelling evidence to the contrary came to light. Surely it's clear that there's way too much reputational risk for these guys to do a 180 degree turn on the issue. There is a quantum leap between judging whether the reserves concept is a success today and the political positions adopted by the league directors.

If these teams were such an issue why has no League Director been removed from their club?
I stand to be corrected, but I presume league directors are appointed by the league, so I'm not sure how a club can removed them from that role.
In terms of removal from their respective club as a board member, this'd be up to the membership. Organising an EGM is no easy task, and from my clubs' perspective, I'd say there's plenty of our (diminishing) membership base who are apathetic or agree with the reserves concept. That doesn't means the reserves concept is an overwhelming success by any stretch of the imagination.

Why is there barely a ripple with club members?
But there has been a ripple because club memberships and attendances are down. More importantly, plenty have simply walked away, given the sheer lack of respect shown by the 'yes' clubs to not even give their members the fundamental right to formally voice their views on the inclusion of the reserves in the first place. A lot of those who cared the most were also the ones who were most offended by the way the whole concept was negotiated and implemented, and chose not be part of something they didn't agree with.
by Magellan
Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

John Olsen in the Sunday Mail:

SANFL President and SA Football Commission chairman John Olsen told the roundtable group of club officials that it was unlikely the AFL would change it's scheduling. He also conceded the SANFL had erred with it's program this season and the oversupply of byes was too stop-start for fans.

"The scheduling cascades down on us from the AFL" he said. "The crowds have dropped off - the South Adelaide versus Port Adelaide game had a low crowd. But 39,000 people watched that game on TV, so that tells me people are interested in the competition and want to follow it.

"They just didn't want to drive to Noarlunga to see it. We have a quality competition and people are interested. The scheduling is something we have to work through, with adjustments for 2017 ".
Is 2017 a reference to next year, or what Olsen thinks is a suitable attendance?
by Magellan
Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What The F***

Some good biblical advice
1 Corinthians 13:11 KJV
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well why didn't you give up the bible as a child then? Pokemon is just as real as the stories you believe in
Well spaken.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

HH3 wrote:Pokephobe!!

I'm gonna blog so hard about this. I'm so offended right now. It's disgusting. Who would've thought my rights would be so oppressed in 2016.

Fight the power. LGTBIQP.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would any SANFL team consider 'John Butcher' next year?

Mythical Creature wrote:HAMley Bridge Bombers is the strong word.

Yes, I heard the club are quite bullish about recruiting Butcher after a solid meating, there's plenty at steak for them including the chance to win some medallions.
by Magellan
Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Psyber wrote:Though there was that Israeli Army Sergeant - she was nice, but only in Oz for 3 months.

I'll bet you were mos'sad when she left.
by Magellan
Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Sylvania Waters?

Reality TV before we knew that it existed, and that it is founded on the lifestyles of bogans.

Noeline Donaher, the mad cashed-up bogan matriarch around which it centred. Proof that money can't buy you class.
by Magellan
Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

He is living up to his 'Big boy' name. But he is a 3 time Ken Farmer medallist so he has the runs on the board. Port fans were original on the weekend offering him Pies at half time as he is walking off the ground, that wouldn't have happened often.. Imagine if your Full Forward could kick like him, he could actually have made something of his career

Works both ways, I always thought Wundke could have made something of himself at the highest level if he'd perhaps worked a bit harder, and improved his conditioning (at least that's how it appears to me from the outside, might not be that simple )
Course it's not that bloody simple. If there's a pie in front of you you're going to eat it, right? His mother might be a really good cook, and he might be addicted to bread and butter pudding. We shouldn't assume these athletes aren't fighting battles of their own!

;)
:lol:

"Athlete"
Perhaps 'sportsman' is a more appropriate term.
by Magellan
Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

saintal wrote:Wundke's got nothing on the greatest full forward of all time as far as stomach girth goes. Different times now.

I dunno, Ken Farmer kept a pretty trim profile. ;)
by Magellan
Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If I could support a successful side with a Ken Farmer medalist (oh, dare to dream!!) I'd just laugh off the 'abuse'. I can't speak for the big fella (oops!) but I'd be surprised if he gave a stuff because I assume he's in a position to do something about it. I could be wrong, though.

Johnny Roberts back for 2017?
Where do I sign him up? With Grenville in the pocket for good (waistline) measure. ;)
by Magellan
Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

This could equally go in the 'Things that make you cry' thread.

The fact that around the US Republican Convention being held in Cleveland they've banned knives and glass for security reasons but you can still legally stroll around with a machine gun.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Is the gilberton/st peters swing bridge open/able to be crossed?

no idea, council would be able to tell you though

Cheers for the idea, I tried but they didn't know. Told me one of their engineers will call me. dare say he wont...anyone else know?

This update dated Friday, 6 May 2016:

Gilberton Swing Bridge | Update
The Swing Bridge received partial approval from the Development Assessment Commission (DAC) on 13 April 2016 after originally submitting the application in mid-November 2015.
DAC did not provide Building Rules consent and a private certifier has been appointed to undertake the Building Rules consent work.
Given the Building Rules consent has yet to be received, coupled with the requirement for notification prior to closing the bridge and the approximate three month construction period it is reasonable to expect that the project will not be completed by the end of the financial year.
Both Councils are committed to commencing works as soon as practically possible and will keep all stakeholders informed as updates come to hand.

http://www.walkerville.sa.gov.au/weeklyroundup
by Magellan
Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 - Glenelg v Norwood @ Glenelg Sunday

johntheclaret wrote:Bays should put an end to the Legs mini revival despite O'Keeffe.

Wish it was Kerry, not Rhys - he'd be more entertaining and would probably get more of the footy.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 - Sturt v West @ Unley

Wedgie wrote:I think West will be in for a weighty loss. Lean times for the bloods.

Twelve months ago that tip would be off the scales. But this season I'm inclined to bulimia.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R 17 - Eagles vs Crows Reserves @ Woody Oval

David Mackay's in this week, the Eagles will be absolutely quivering in their boots. Probably one of the last times you'll get to see him play at this level before he's eagerly snapped up by the women's league next year.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne 2016

will boomer's book sales be down due to the fact that he admitted bits of his book is fiction?
Definitely. I mean, where are booksellers going to display it? There's no 'mostly non-fiction with a touch of fiction' section. Will be really confusing. Could go into the 'cookery' or 'self help' section, perhaps.

Or it could come with a warning, like the 'Parental Advisory' stickers they used to put on CDs with naughty lyrics in the 90s.

Bargain bin at the front counter.
Mills and Boom.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Have started watching Vinyl as well, starting out pretty good, and I reckon will just get better and better.
Just got hold of this on blu-ray. It's definitely worth a watch if you're into classic rock and early 70s stylings...and plenty of cocaine. ;)

It's fictitious story, but it successfully intertwines real-life characters and bands from the music biz from the era. The attention to detail in recreating New York and the general vibe of the 70s is very impressive. Good performances too, including Ray 'Everyone Loves Raymond' Romano in a more straight role.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 - Glenelg v Norwood @ Glenelg Sunday

Why is anyone surprised by low crowd numbers? Given the clubs and SANFL themselves have shown nothing but contempt for supporters in the last three years I'm amazed anyone bothers turning up.

Proof of where the SANFL sits is that Channel 7 are televising the sh*ttest game of all time this weekend, a game between two teams who don;'t care if they win or lose. Nice advert for the comp.

Two teams that don't care if they win?????
Wtf you have no idea. Of course they want to win.

FFS
They are reserve sides. Their ultimate goal is to give their second best players a chance to play and stay match fit, promote a team environment for these players, and provide an opportunity for AFL standard players to find form and/or get back to speed post-injury.

The coach's instruction isn't to put the best side out there each week in order to win a flag, it's to manage the rest of the squad so that there's a ready-made stock of replacement players schooled-up on how the AFL side plays. As we've seen, this can involve taking in-form players off at various times to preserve them for an upcoming AFL game, which is the antithesis of a side whose primary goal is to win.

The players, as individuals with pride in how they go about their business on the ground, want to win, no doubt. But the structure around how they go about it as a team does not prioritise winning.
by Magellan
Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The business AFL wouldn't like it though

Don't forget all the toilet trained AFL journalists.
by Magellan
Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I liked the bit at the end where Jacko was asked about whether he respected the women in the modern game. His reply: "I respect women, but I don't think they should be inseminated at the top level."

:lol:
by Magellan
Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There's a special place in hell for drivers who...

Johno6 wrote:Does it remind you of that time back in 1964 when you had to pick up something?

Tickets to see the Beatles?
by Magellan
Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:That's how stupid the **** is.

Now hang on there Booney, he did use the word 'sycophant' successfully in a sentence.

Before learning it in the green room prior to going on air I'll bet Jacko thought it meant an animal with a trunk that wasn't feeling well.
by Magellan
Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Faith No More to release first album in 18 years this Ap

Sounds like some interesting material on those re-releases, Gozu.

'King For A Day' is a great album, but 'Album of the Year' didn't really grab me I must admit. A track which doesn't get commented on much is 'Take This Bottle'. It's one of my favorite songs from that album, Patton sings it with a lot of retrained feeling, like you're hearing the struggle of someone whose had a battle with the booze.

Now, permission to indulge a bit, having read some of the earlier posts:

I got hooked on FNM when I heard 'Falling to Pieces' on Triple J back in 1990, but FWIW my favourite FNM album is 'Angel Dust'. IMHO it's their high-water mark, and don't think they ever got close to capturing its feel again - there's a lot to be said for recording an album whilst there is tension within the group (a la Alice in Chains' 'Dirt'). It sounds angry, it rocks hard, can be a bit sensitive (great instrumental of the 'Midnight Cowboy' theme), it's got a sense of humour ('Be Aggressive'), and takes the piss out of American life ('RV', 'Everything's Ruined'). Most of all, it sounds like a f**ked up mix of a whole bunch of styles, but it manages to come out sounding polished, considered, and cohesive.

And my fave gig ever was FNM at Thebby, May 1993 on the 'Angel Dust' tour. You could feel the aggression and tension, it was absolutely palpable. Plus their encore included a swing version of the Dead Kennedy's "Let's Lynch the Landlord'!
by Magellan
Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - North v Central @ Prospect

Dogwatcher wrote:Thiele not named in either grade, is he done?

He's back in the Twos, named on the bench. Still has something to offer when fit and in form.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

The Crows Reserves will coast to victory with Beech and Shaw.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

therisingblues wrote:Me too, they always ask too much toupee.

I think you're merkin too much of the cover charge.
by Magellan
Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |