Search found 67 matches

Return

Re: Rnd 4 - Port v West - Post Game

Went to the game today, what a joke the SANFL has become.
To expect West to compete against the Power is embarrassing really.
AND why is the Port Magpies song played after a win.....
They don't exist anymore.......
I don't get it......
To our President..........
This is what you voted for!!!!!
Absolute joke!!!!!!
For what it's worth, I thought I guys battled hard all day!!
by Wolf Pack
Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - Adelaide v Port Reserves Post Match

Love how it was promoted as a "Showdown" & that the "rivalry continues".
How can Port "have it both ways"? - This 'rivalry' against this opponent & the 'rivalry' against traditional rivals Norwood in the 1st week.
Are they the Magpies or the Power?
by LPH
Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton inc Post Matc

Port supporters of old never wanted any handouts and infact thrived on the every one hate us back against the wall attitude.

They would be rolling in their graves to see the concessions and handouts needed to make this side competitive again.
by whufc
Sun May 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

cheating implies a breach of the rules. Which rule? Yep that's right none of them. I am not going to lower myself to call you a wanker, you are not, you are that little stain on the sheet after the wank.
Dols, you are right, you are not cheating, you are only playing under the guidelines in which you were set by the powers to be - pardon the pun.

Regardless of what conditions the Magpies are playing under, do you feel that it is an even playing field the rest of the competition is up against? Don't you want to have your side be the best in an even and fair playing field or are you happy to gloat in the domination of your side that has clear and unfair advantage?

Perhaps go and ask some of your former club legends how they REALLY feel about the current set-up and domination of the SANFL competition?

One Club, One Inequitable Advantage.
by Big Phil
Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I watched the last half of the game and South were playing a great brand of footy - running hard and working for each other. Attacking.
Full credit to them.
by Dogwatcher
Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - West v Glenelg @ City Mazda (Sat 24/5)

Congrats to Aaron Fielke on 100 SANFL games tomorrow
by Thiele
Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Port Adelaide Football club unable to play as the Magpies in the AFL, not because they suddenly became a new Football club, but because the competition they were now entering already had an existing team known as the Magpies.

Incorrect mate, I used to think that but had to admit I was wrong when pointed out to the facts and evidence.
Port Adelaide Football Club changed their name to the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club.
Same club, same entity, same business, new name.
It was the only way the entirely new franchise in the AFL could use the same name.
Hence contracts with players that the Magpies had in 95 were not needed to change for 96, same club.
Players that went from the Magpies to the Power 95 to 96 needed new contracts as they were playing for an entirely new club even though it stole the name of the club that was still in the SANFL.
The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club which is the original PAFC no longer exists.
Dead buried.
The club now in the AFL with their reserves in the SANFL are the new entity in 96 that took over the name from its previous owner.
FACTS, supported by legal documents.
Club that was around for over 100 years and won 30 something premierships is dead and buried, no longer, kaput.
The club playing AFL and SANFL has been around since 1996. If I name my next son Gary Ablett Jnr it doesn't mean he's a Brownlow medalist .

No it doesn't mean he is the Brownlow medalist. But if Gary Ablett Jnr had a son named wedgie it would mean wedgie was the son of the brown low medalist. While I would like to see those legal documents it doesn't surprise me if there isn't any. At the end of the day we don't really care what you think of us, simply because it means absolute jack what you think of us, just like it always has been.

We Are The Port Adelaide Football Club set 1870 always have always will be. Nothing you or others post will never never change that.

1D1mh9o08eU

Do not deflect the debate by sidetracking it with the Adelaide Oval crap.

The whole crux of this debate is that there are TWO AFL RESERVES team consisting in the MAJORITY of AFL players competing in a BASTARDISED SANFL.

However one team is MASQUARADING today as the defunct MAGPIES.

Not to mention the FACT that these AFL RESERVES teams have the luxury and massive advantage of competing with a HOST of AFL players expertise and FINANCIALS .

Something that the other EIGHT SANFL teams have not benefitted from.

So if you all think this current set up is fair and equitable then some of you posters on this site are condoning CHEATING !!!

Prior to 2014 the Magpies were feared and respected and many many opposition loved to watch them in full flight.

But for a lot of us now we have no interest as been stated numerous times.

We will not be party to watching AFL RESERVES teams.

THATS RIGHT NO INTEREST IN THE POWER RESERVES OR THE CROWS RESERVES.

So once again in Crow jargon.

The current SANFL competition with AFL teams is FAAAAAARRKKKKKKKEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Apachebulldog
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

one thing i find incredible with Port is how they are "one club" when it suits them... I scoff at some port people who say we have always been one club... Rubbish, obviously have amnesia. A good marketing ploy by port to brainwash supporters in forgetting the horrible way the power treated the magpies when they first came into the AFL...
by woodublieve12
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - West v Port @ City Mazda Stadium (Sun 22/6)

The Bloods to knock off the Power Reserves. Well done boys.
by Damo 497
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HoldenV8 wrote:John Olsen is a Westies fan. I hope he's watching this game and see's what he and certain SANFL clubs....including West Adelaide sadly....have done to this competition.
Lol he couldn't possibly care less about West or the Sanfl. Dead set prick if ever there was one.
by RB
Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Full Time

West Adelaide 15.8 98
Port Adelaide Magpies 12.9 81
by Dutchy
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

You could see this coming from a mile away !

Sad that the other clubs who voted for it to happen are now bringing South and Central down with the sinking ship !

Give yourselves a clap =D>
by southee
Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can we see the weekly attendance at Adelaide Oval / Footy park with the average attendance figures.
I think you will see a direct relationship. I predict there is a stable weekly fixed number of people attending matches in Adelaide . If AFL number goes up, SANFL number total goes down.

i disagree. last season the "pro" afl reserves people were happy stating crowds were up on 2013, at the same time that adelaide oval was sold out every weekend (from memory it was pretty much sold out wasnt it?) you cant get more people to the afl every week than the stadium can hold this season, so therefore there must be less people attending footy this year with the dramatic drop in sanfl crowds.

funnily enough, the "anti" afl reserves people pointed out the novelty factor last season, and that once it had worn off, reserves attendances would drop (we even saw evidence of the fact between early season attendances and the drop to late season attendances for the reserves sides), but we were told we were doomsayers and pessimists. funnily enough, it seems we were right. also funnily enough the "pro" reserve people are strangely silent on attendances this season.........
by tipper
Tue May 05, 2015 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

There is a lot of discord on here and a lot of " get over it" or "move on"
But step back for a second. Those who feel passionately about not having Reserve teams in the SANFL have a right to push their cause, and where else are they expected to do this other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL.

Anyone who suggests they should raise it with their clubs should think first.
A) Don't you think these people, so passionate about their league, haven't already done that?
B) During the whole 'debate', such as it was, how many of the 6 clubs that voted yes actually asked for their own members views?
C) Ergo, the clubs not having asked for views let alone votes from members, how many are likely to acknowledge or accept any dissension from any members?

In other words, where else are these passionate supporters of the SANFL supposed to vent their protests other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL ?
I note that many who take the "move on" or "get over it" stance are either Port Adelaide supporters or have the Crows as their AFL team. Either way those same people have an obvious loyalty to the AFL or their reserve sides and not ultimately to the SANFL.

Personally I think it is a shame what has happened to the SANFL forum on SAFooty.net and feel for the administrators who need to generate income to pay for the site. Many members have stopped posting, traffic certainly seems to be on the wane and this might be a worry for the admin team ?

I am sure the "move on" or "get over it" brigade will point the finger at the 'whingers' for driving posters away, without a single consideration that some posters have "moved on" and "got over it" by changing sports codes or just lost interest altogether. Or god forbid decided that the SANFL is no longer for them and neither is an SANFL forum.

I have a genuine sympathy for those SANFL supporters who oppose the unilateral decisions made by 'Their' clubs. I've taken the stance to continue supporting my club by way of memberships and sponsorship but I certainly feel the SANFL has been degraded by the inclusion of the AFL Reserve sides. But it is an easier decision for me, not standing on the outer every week watching my team.
I also acknowledge the absolute frustration, anger and genuine angst many members feel that a club they have supported all their lives made a fundamental league changing decision without having the opportunity to not only vote on the issue but even have a say.

Remember for true SANFL fans, like fans of other sports, their club is for life. It's part of their family, it's their wife, son and daughter, it's their best mates and a way of life. Those who feel betrayed by their club will feel genuine anger and heartache which sometimes you can't just "get over it" or "move on".

And if you think it's all bullshit, think how you feel when your team loses a grand final !! Now transfer that feeling every day of the week, every week of the season. It might be a bit easier when you have 2 teams, an AFL team and an SANFL team and therefore you genuinely don't understand what all the fuss us about? Well good luck to ya. Not everyone feels the same.
by johntheclaret
Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I haven't listened to it, but did Rowey or Bicks pick him up on that???

I doubt they battered an eye to it

No. Moved straight onto the next question, regarding pulling* the sub at AFL level...

Which is almost as bad as the comment itself, shows how desensitised the media are about the SANFL now, 5AA don't have any SANFL content anymore
by Dutchy
Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

just a slightly different point to the current discussion flow.

of the 5 games this weekend just past, only 1 of the games has gathered enough posts to break into the second page. says a lot really for the "increase of interest" when the reserves sides were introduced.

back in the distant past (2013 and before) games used to get several pages on pre game, and have new posts created to post in post game, which would also break into multiple pages. who would have thought that with the introduction of the reserves sides would increase the interest to such a point that no one feels the need to write anything about the games anymore. what a world we live in......
by tipper
Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kym Morgan in today's Advertiser, on Norwood v Adelaide this Friday.
" There is the possibility of a farcical situation where Adelaide could field 21 top up players in a move that would hurt the competitions integrity"

Well Kym, new to football?

Have any idea on what the introduction of the reserves sides has done to the integrity of the SANFL (you may know it as the state league)?

Has your reporting of the CROWS and PORT regarding the benefits they bring to the league met any, yes any of the stated expectations (I refer to your articles in 2014).

In the article, you say Heath Younie said that the well being of his younger players had to take priority.

These comments could and perhaps should have lead to some good questioning, such as if the well being of the young players is a priority, why do some of the top up players play twice such as Justin Bollenhagen who did his hamstring in the second match?

Given that you are playing in THEIR competition, shouldn't you play by their rules?

And finally, do you really think that Heath Younie would have much influence over the final decision given his role?

My tip is that Younie has almost no say on matters like this and his views do not replicate those of Phil Walsh and other Crows hierarchy who have publically stated that the AFL is already getting too far away from grassroots footy.

Leave the suckholing to Rucci.
by DOC
Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 1945-1990

Yep, sadly remember that 88' 2nd Semi. Port had an outstanding team, whereas ours was very hot and cold and it didn't help that we lost our regular CHB in Craig Kelly via a terribly undisciplined cheap shot on Robert Handley the week before. The game was played in beautiful conditions, but that Port defence just seemed impassable in 88' and 89'. Actually thought the Bays did well in the GF to get as close as they did.
The Port Half Back line in 1988 of Abernethy, Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie is the best SANFL half back line that I have ever seen in my 50 odd years of watching the SANFL. It was impassable and at the same time attacking.
I would have loved to see the Port defence come up against the West forward line of 1983 (the best attack that I have ever seen).
Remember in 1990 Port had a number of injuries and still won the flag.
by robranisgod
Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rick Davies - Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee

Congrats Jumbo, loved to hate him.
by Dutchy
Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rick Davies - Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee

I saw a tweet form ABC journalist James Coventry, that NO SA or WA player pre 1960 has been inducted yet into the AUSTRALIAN Football Hall of Fame.
******* Victorians are a joke! every club from SA and WA would have 2-3 players pre that era deserving of the honor!
by teaoby
Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it is right as the SANFL were greedy and mischevious in handing out welfare to the basket case Port when the money should have been going to the SANFL clubs.
by Wedgie
Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone who is "no afl in the sanfl" but still barrack for a victoria afl team is kind of a hypocrite as the Victorian clubs took over VFA teams like Coburg, Williamstown, Bendigo, etc turns them into reserves team and then dumped them when they wanted their own team so the SANFL system isn't perfect but it better than over the border especially if you was a Bendigo supporter and have no team anymore.

I care and grew up with the SANFL, I've been to hundreds of SANFL games, I've been to 1 VFA/VFL game. Does it make me a hypocrite because I care about the SANFL and not the VFL? No
Am I hypocritical because I follow a NRL club and the QRL has been decimated and impacted upon by reserves teams? No as I don't care about the QRL, never have.
Be like saying I'm a hypocrite because I put food on the table for my kids but not some kids in China.
Throw into the fact my AFL club was a foundation member of the VFA/VFL in 1877 and have a history in that comp going back over 130 years.
The VFA completely disbanded in 1994 and handed over to the body that ran the VFL reserves, if anything the VFA clubs were interlopers in 1995 onwards because of this. My AFL team has never tried to take over or affiliate with a VFA/VFL club. It has been in the VFA/VFL over 130 years, its league invited ex VFA clubs to its competition in 1995. Completely different circumstances to the VFA/VFL.
Did my AFL club solely destroy the VFA/VFL through lies and deceit? No

Would I be a hypocrite if I followed 2 clubs who play against each other in the same competition? Absolutely
Would I be a hypocrite if I was a Crow Eater and followed the Crows? Absolutely
Would I be a hypocrite if I being a proud Crow Eater didn't have anything to say about an AFL club destroying my beloved South Australian National Football League competition through lies and deceit? Absolutely
by Wedgie
Sun May 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From memory, 82' GF crowd was around 48k and 84' was 50,271 .. I recall an article in 82' saying some work was being done, or wouldn't be done in time (or something like that) that reduced the capacity by a bit, so that crowd in 83' was fine for the day I reckon.

Great write up too, that 83' side rates as arguably the best Ive seen in my time.
by JK
Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lets face it, can't blame Port or Crows supporters for not turning up to watch their clubs reserves .. How many of us would go regularly to watch only our reserves (ie, with no main game following)?

Using Friday nights figure at the Parade should make the SANFL more concerned about WTF Glenelg's support is at .. 200 more to their game in MUCH better weather does bode well.

True, you can't blame them. Common sense tells you they were never going to come and watch. Funny, that boosted crowds was put up as a reason for the reserves to precede.

Agreed on your second point.
True, unfortunately those supporters who warned the club this would happen were treated as anti progression nuffies.
All the figures from other states showed this would be the case but the clubs were blinded by the bullshit coming from West Lakes
by Jim05
Mon May 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bring back the pre-season cup!

even though not all teams were trying to win there were some really good crowds in attendance and back then the SANFL and the Clubs did a lot of good promotion
by mighty_tiger_79
Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I Don't have the answers but only suggesting that I would like to see some vision on where the sport is going in the future, rather than just thinking getting rid of two teams in the local leagues is going to solve everything.

Fair request, to go along with some other fair points.

I think we've all wanted that for a long time, but the problem is the AFL plans that for it's own brand, which is fair enough, but they don't ever consider the ramifications on other leagues. If they do, then they are clearly happy to run the others into the ground. What is their stance on state leagues? And for that matter what is the SANFL's stance on their own league?

The dwindling crowds and memberships is the commencement of the final chapter of the SANFL, if nothing changes, and immediately (perhaps too late anyway) it's gone for good (imho).

Some clarity would be great.
by JK
Wed May 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ken Farmer kicked 100 every year from 1930 to 1940... ;-)
by RB
Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh, and here's another thing, after that article was released I think is the best timing to say it:

Last year all we heard was crowds were up on 2013...over and over. Not one mention was made of the real poor weather in 2013 in comparison to the whole of 2014.

This year crowds are well down and it's due to the 'poor' weather.

I rest my case.
by spell_check
Wed May 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

No sh*t you want to keep the seconds in a top notch league. Why wouldn't you. However this isn't about your success, its about my f*cking clubs survival, and you Harper and your mediocre organisation need to remember that. Adelaide has had a solid gold 25 years with an adoring public gazing on, and the fully fledged backing of a platinum organisation in the SANFL. You knew you couldn't fail, and it made you lazy. The Adelaide football club is a lazy, bloated and spoilt club that deserves no more sacrifice from the SANFL clubs and its members.

For Harper and his cohorts to issue such a statement just reinforces that they don't get it. I cant believe I actually supported the pricks.
by wild dog
Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

No sh*t you want to keep the seconds in a top notch league. Why wouldn't you. However this isn't about your success, its about my f*cking clubs survival, and you Harper and your mediocre organisation need to remember that. Adelaide has had a solid gold 25 years with an adoring public gazing on, and the fully fledged backing of a platinum organisation in the SANFL. You knew you couldn't fail, and it made you lazy. The Adelaide football club is a lazy, bloated and spoilt club that deserves no more sacrifice from the SANFL clubs and its members.

For Harper and his cohorts to issue such a statement just reinforces that they don't get it. I cant believe I actually supported the pricks.
To be fair this describes every AFL club
by CUTTERMAN
Wed May 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Neale Daniher

Hurley is shaving off the man bun to raise money for MND and the club is aiming to also raise a stack
by Jim05
Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dont buy this washout for GF replay crap, last year there was abnormal results because of the Tex Factor at the Bay and this year there was many more games celebrating Anzac Day the night before or day after.
The crowds are shit purely and simply because the AFL novelty has worn off and its a sign of things to come, most of us in the know about the SANFL called it mid last year and got told we wrong by an ignorant minority.
by Wedgie
Fri May 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 Glenelg v West @ Glenelg 2.10

Three quarter time
Bays 5.8
West 22.6

100 point margin.

Frees Bays 15 West 4
by Brodlach
Sun May 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

johntheclaret wrote:
whufc wrote:Are they the worse team in SANFL history considering the standard of SANFL football is at an all time low

Not seen North this year then Hammy ;)

I reckon North and Central are slightly ahead of Glenelg
by whufc
Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Final Score
West 30.9 189
Bays 11.11 77

Frees Bays 21 West 6.
by Brodlach
Sun May 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

when was the last time West kicked 30 goals? or anyone for that matter?

This match, Rd 17 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7iFCgi1c8

West 6.5 12.11 24.17 31.21 (207)
North 3.1 6.4 10.8 16.11 (107)
Richmond, 4677

In the last 19 seasons (1996-2014) Central have done it four times, Eagles once. Last time was Rd 13 2007:

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8647

It's the first time a side has scored 30.9 in a match.
by spell_check
Sun May 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

when was the last time any team kicked 30?

our set up was a shambles, no forward line, no accountability when west had the ball was non existant

i have never seen 30 goals kicked against my team and hope i never see it again, with due respect to the bloods they aint even that good

matt lokan isnt a coach and has been thrown into the role, he needs to step down cos his game plan is non existent and obviously has no idea

totally devastated by what i saw today
by stampy
Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1/4 time at Glenelg v West Adelaide today
The man on the loudspeaker gave the scores around the grounds
He got to the Balaklava game last and said something like
" And in the reserves game Adelaide 52 Port Adelaide 50."
by mal
Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fair post Benny.

Everyone talks about the 4000 crowd figure as though the crows deliberately tried to pull one over the sanfl. I don't think that's the case. Of course they would have been overly optimistic, it was in their interests to do that. The sanfl clubs should have called bullshit and they didn't.

This the only bit I'd slightly disagree with. I don't think the Crows were being optimistic, they were being flat out Salesmen. You're right though that the SANFL clubs had the opportunity to call BS, but only 2 of them did.
by JK
Mon May 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I disagree the comp was on a downward spiral in the last few years.

Crowd numbers have been trending downwards for a long time now, correct?

No, relatively stable for a decade before the decline when the AFL teams became involved.
Interest, memberships and sponsorships were relatively stable for that period too.
Having the Crows and Power in is a complete failure.
That's my reading of the figures. The GF crowd in 2013 being the biggest since (I think) 1999 shows that the interest from the general public (cf. the diehard supporter who goes every week) was at least the same as it was fifteen years ago.

The SANFL was affected by, yet survived, the introduction of the Crows and the Power. It has survived other difficulties such as financial pressures (e.g. North Adelaide - mainly thanks to the fans), substantially less media coverage etc.

IMO, the acceptance of $50k from the AFL cancers for admittance into the SANFL is less a concession that the SANFL is somehow inevitably going to fade away than a sign that the six bendover clubs, and in particular the league directors, just didn't have the stomach to work hard enough to maintain interest in the comp.

Take the Eagles for example (who BTW had made a profit in the year before the reserves decision was made despite big write-downs of assets). When asked how the club was going to get new fans from people born from 2013 onwards, given the saturation of the Crows and Power in the media who are now competing in the same competition as the Eagles, Kurt Slaven replied that it was up to us (the ~200 members who'd gathered to hear him) to introduce young fans from our families to the club. Apart from the fact that most of those members were well past the normal child-bearing age, this way is obviously never going to lead to the current supporters being able to even replace themselves.

The six league directors who voted in favour did so, in part, because it was far, far easier to bank a cheque for $50,000 every year than to actually get off their fat arses and do some work in the community, the sort of work that only Phil Herden does. The boards should be doing the same thing as Phil.

No-one can seriously maintain, looking at the crowd numbers, that the interest in the SANFL was on the wane. Additionally, the past has proven that when times are tough re the SANFL, it is possible to marshal support from the people who come out of the woodwork. I fear that the only people who will 'come out of the woodwork' now, are Taylor Walker fans.
by RB
Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If the Crows promised 4000 per game and are only getting 2000 per game then the SANFL should send them an invoice for the shortfall.
2000 fans x 18 games x $10 average spend (not even going to bother with admission) = $360 k
I brought this up with Burtenshaw numerous times trying to get a straight answer due to Sturt having the highest match day overheads in the comp. Eventually he said that they wouldn't be overwriting a break even crowd for the host club.
They weren't putting their money where their mouth was. Now it's looking the same way with Power reserves and their attendances.

IF the Crows genuinely believed they were going to bring through big crowds why didn't they ever try to establish a home base and have their own matchday revenue?
by JK
Wed May 20, 2015 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Neale Daniher

Its terrible, He has touched every club he has been at. One of my favourite people in football
by MJ_23
Tue May 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just saw this posted on Facebook by a Port supported in response to a post made by a Sturt supporter, why do Port not get the same kind of criticism that Adelaide do?

"I watched our reserves beat your A grade the other week; I realised how grateful I should be that my club has moved beyond the second-rate feeder league that the SANFL is."
I think you should remind the moron that far from moving beyond it, his club recently joined the second rate feeder league when they entered their bloody reserves team in it!
You can also tell him if he really does wish to move beyond it, then good luck finding another second rate feeder league to accept his idiot filled reserves side which seems to have trouble understanding which comp it is in.
The internet, providing a podium for retards since its creation.
by therisingblues
Mon May 25, 2015 1:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just saw this posted on Facebook by a Port supported in response to a post made by a Sturt supporter, why do Port not get the same kind of criticism that Adelaide do?

"I watched our reserves beat your A grade the other week; I realised how grateful I should be that my club has moved beyond the second-rate feeder league that the SANFL is."
I think you should remind the moron that far from moving beyond it, his club recently joined the second rate feeder league when they entered their bloody reserves team in it!
You can also tell him if he really does wish to move beyond it, then good luck finding another second rate feeder league to accept his idiot filled reserves side which seems to have trouble understanding which comp it is in.
The internet, providing a podium for retards since its creation.

There are many honourable exceptions but there is a sub set of Port supporters who are viciously anti SANFL. Apparently the SANFL is to blame for all their ills and they feed off that.
Never mind that when the going got tough in the Primus years so many of them jumped ship quicker than they could belt out NTUA.
For many years it was the easiest thing in the world to say you followed Port, when finals came around year after year and there were always teams like Woodville to beat up on.
In the AFL they experienced hardship in a football sense for the first time in their lives and their instinct was to cut and run. A rancid lot.
by Ronnie
Mon May 25, 2015 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Encouraging news! Spoke to CDFC board members yesterday, FINALLY the SANFL clubs have realised that the 2 AFL sides in the SANFL isn't working & moves are underway to have them removed, might not happen next year, more than likely the following.
by CENTURION
Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great news if true but I'll believe it when I see it.
1. Never trust the AFL clubs concerning the SANFL.
2. Never trust the word of anyone in a position of power regarding footy in SA.
3. Be wary of the AFL's thoughts on this.
I was told last year by a club official that it was very likely that Port would do away with the prison bars and calling themselves the Magpies in the SANFL, it never happened. I'm not blaming that official as they only conveyed what they thought was happening. The point is that nothing is certain.
Given the convenient changes of heart by some of the organisations served us this turd sandwich, this is a lesson that no dyed-in-the-wool follower of SANFL football should forget.

Ever.
by StrayDog
Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood vs West at Coopers Stadium Sunday 7th 2:10pm

I reckon today was a fantastic game of hard footy. The slightly better team on the day came out with the points in the end.

West have absolutely improved, well done Bloods 8)
by SpionKopster
Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood vs West at Coopers Stadium Sunday 7th 2:10pm

Losing Ezard before halftime (shoulder JK ;) ),Keough before the game and Middleton during the game with a hammy didn't help. Past seasons against Norwood they would have just kicked away but at least we fought it out.
by Brodlach
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |