Search found 187 matches

Return

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Wedgie wrote:Cya Rammy. :)

Noooooooooooooooooooooo...
This thread has been struggling for months - Double Ton in sight 8)
by LPH
Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think if you are looking for games to play as curtain raisers to afl games, women's games would make a lot more sense than a reserves game

My 10 yr old daughter is playing her 1st season of footy with her school (4/5 comp) - 2 girls in team.
Seeing the grab on Foxtel with the players - made her light up.
"So girls can play AFL on TV too, Dad?"

Reckon a Women's Comp is where the $$$ would go 1st before Reserves - more TV appeal.
by LPH
Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port supporters won't return - those who have 'hung on' will also be gone.
Kids won't follow an SANFL Team now - that opportunity is gone IMHO.

The CEOs made a 'rod for their own backs'.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.
by LPH
Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If my Club had voted YES, I'm not sure I could give them my blind loyalty . I also know how hard Kris Grant is working to get change, so I feel I owe the club some loyalty. However that loyalty will be tested if changes are not at least made to Ports model. At a minimum I expect them in under the same model as the Crows. This means no home games, no Academy side and they pay the fee of $400000.

I couldn't.
So 2014 I bought a SAFC Membership & went & watched them - wasn't the same, in fact far from it :(
No Passion.
As a result, I've been to watch 4 games this year - Norwood twice, Sturt twice (I live on the Eastern side of Town now) - Adelaide Oval, Norwood & Unley.

My passion (& my son's for that matter) goes away from the SANFL now & to another code.
I can't watch the AFL - I loath it.
I can hardly watch the SANFL - I loath what's happened to it.
It hurts because the SANFL was such a huge part of my life from the age of 4 to the age of 43 - West Torrens as a Junior, WWTFC as a Father & Supporter - almost every weekend with my lad for 8 seasons; kicks in the parks around the Suburban Grounds, beers & bets in the Club Bars all before the games. It was 'Boys Day' each week - sadly, that's gone forever because my Club voted Yes without so much as a Member Vote.
I have also lost a couple of friends as well because they say I abandoned my Club - perhaps I did but the Club abandoned me (& others) first by not listening to our concerns & by not allowing us a say.
Kay Sera :(
by LPH
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elim. Final - Norwood v Central @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9

That would require the Games to be played @ Suburban Grounds my Roman Friend, which is desirable IMHO
by LPH
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No-one saw this coming :roll:

Only a matter of time for it to happen here...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... n-thunder/
by LPH
Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

Have heard that 'Eric' has been "...warned off of Adelaide Oval", that's good enough for me - think I'll go & support Centrals from the Hill.
Give Butcher some 'support' :D
NO AFL in the SANFL ;)
by LPH
Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:
LPH wrote:Will we see 'Eric' on Saturday? 8)

One, the games are Sunday, two, you reakon he'll get into Adelaide Oval?

What, are you a Kiwi?

Yes, correct - the game is Sunday & I will be attending, just to show my support for Butcher 8)
by LPH
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Angry people make bad decision. Bad decisions can make it much more difficult to achieve the outcome you desire. If you're trying to change something that's important to you, something that one person can't change on their own then you need a rational, sensible approach that the majority will rally behind. If you fly solo, or in the minority, you're not going to win.

If, for instance, your idea is to make a banner, cause a disruption that involves police and gets you evicted from a ground then are you going to convince the wider population on your side to come with you? I think it's unlikely. So, while I can see the reasoning behind the aforementioned banner do I think that's for the majority or the minority? Is it for the greater good or sensationalism?

The point of 'Eric' was/is to raise awareness & continue to draw attention to the fact that not all SANFL Supporters are happy with the outcome, isn't it? For you to suggest that Fans would ultimately have ANY say in the outcome suggests that either; (a) you are in complete denial that Port & Adelaide held all the cards in the debate & the SANFL are their bitch, or (b) you are simply winding people up for your own personal amusement.
Personally, I think you acknowledge the problem but your loyalty to the PAFC affects your perception - publicly at least.
Having barracked for a shit team for so many years during the '70s & '80s, perhaps my loyalty was more to the competition as whole, rather than a single entity. Perhaps that was my mistake.

I agree whole heartedly that getting angry & getting evicted is not the way to go. If you recall, many on here 'slammed' me for my silent protests as early as 2012, sitting in the middle of Woodville Oval. I couldn't really get too 'militant' due to my job, anyway. There were some WWTFC Officials who actually approached me to say how they liked the fact I was acting with self control & not causing trouble. Did it work? No. Was it ever going to make a difference? No, not likely. But that doesn't mean people can't try - in Australia at least.

I must say that I am becoming more impressed with the 'true' Port people I talk to, who actually now admit & recognise the sad reality that this competition is almost dead & buried. People like 'Dol' can continue to troll & suggest that the Competition is fine, but having attended games with ZERO atmosphere this season, involving BOTH AFL Reserves Teams, the truth is - it's a sad state of affairs.
The standard is still high, as is the VFL but the PASSION in the stands is just not there. 'Blind Freddy' can see that. What will the 'balance sheets' look like this year for Norwood, South, Sturt, North, West, Glenelg? WWT may break even (should they win the Flag) but the rest will be dire, one would think.
If WWT play West in the GF - be lucky to get 15,000. :(
by LPH
Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What annoys me Spargo, is they were BOTTOM & BROKE, but then almost given a Premiership by having 20 of 21 players being Professionals!
The debt issues seem to have been 'glossed over' - wasn't there an 'advance' on a future AFL Dividend paid to keep them afloat in 2011/12?
Or was that simply absorbed by the Adelaide Oval Deal?

The irony is that the Cows (to get what Sanderson so eagerly wanted - based on the Geelong Model) gave Port more concessions they they themselves got! Port were very smart, they did no 'hard lifting' in the debate - the Cows did it all for them :D
Don't get me wrong - I love the fact the Cows have suffered as a result, Karma's a Bitch!
They have 100% of the blame IMHO - it was they who instigated this whole mess.

The answer to it all Booney is remove BOTH Teams , simple.
Anyone who still clings to the premise that the current situation is good for the SANFL (calling Dols) is 'avin' a laugh!
This has done nothing for the betterment of the Game or the Competition in this State - it has only benefited the 2 Corporate 'Monsters'.
Lets wait for the Balance Sheets of the 8 SANFL Clubs - or will Rucci & the SANFL put 'spin' on that too?
by LPH
Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Hey Guys, I've set up a 'Star Stable' League.
"The_Gambling_Room"
Code: 327387

Feel free to join :D
Might add some discussion topics over the Spring on here as well as the Punting,Tips, etc.
www.starstable.com.au
by LPH
Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Because, like the SANFL Commission, he BELIEVES the lies.
The figures must be wrong!
There were 9K @ the 'Walker Game' & 6K @ the Clare 'Showdown', 40K went to the GF last year!
We are all delusional - the Competition has never been healthier! :roll:
Pfft...
by LPH
Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SANFL owes Port how much moron-rell?
Plz, inform us all of the ACTUAL $$$

You quote 1870... here's a couple more years for you:
1986 - virtually broke
1990 - tried to send the SANFL broke
1996 - shat on their supporters & 'split' the Club, using SANFL Money to join the AFL & Rosewater FC Ground
2006 - hand outs from SANFL to keep Magpies afloat
2008 - more 'crying poor' & SANFL handouts
2010 - AFL side a 'basket case', Magpies broke - BOTH AFL & SANFL handouts
2011 - more 'borrowed' money from SANFL to keep Magpies afloat (also the $2 campaign)
2012 - more handouts - advances on future AFL Dividends
2013 - another advance on future AFL Dividends
2014 - $16 million to move to Adelaide Oval & store the Tarps from a fully paid stadium with MORE seats!
2015 - a 'better stadium deal' from the SMA because 'crying poor' again!

All of the above have paid the 'debt' & interest, don't you think?
I love how you manage to re-write History to support your flawed argument.

I absolutely agree - we need to move on.
Unfortunately, the damage is done - nothing good has come of this venture & the SANFL only has itself to blame.
But for you to suggest that the Competition is better off having these 2 AFL Reserves Teams in it, beggars belief!
The facts are that in the period between 1996 & 2013, the SANFL was showing signs of great recovery as a legitimate alternative (in this State) to the Corporate Monster that is the AFL. Through the short sighted decisions of a few, those gains have disappeared in the space of 2 short seasons.

And you have the audacity to suggest its a good thing?
Please...
by LPH
Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry Guys, but gotta work tonight - so I really only have focused on Melbourne.
Reckon the Rupert Clarke is a tough one to pick - Underwood, not so.
Like No. 10 Volkstok'n'barrel in that Race.
Falkner is the obvious one but - 'Volky' has good 3rd up Form (2 from 2) but why I like it is;
AJC Derby Winner - which means he's a 4yr old Stayer now - love them in Caulfield Cups, Male or Female.
He's obviously 'set' for that Race - I assume Williams is riding the Japanese Runner in the Caulfield Cup, so I'm thinking he'll be in Top 5 on this horse tomorrow. The $13 & $3.80 is healthy IMHO - I would have him around Eachway Odds @ $9 & $3.
As always, hoping to get better Saturday Morning in the 'Hour of Power'.

Group Ones are hotting up!
How good is this time of year? Footy Finals, Group 1 Racing, Sunshine... Enjoy!
by LPH
Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

Congrats Bloods.
Great for Mickan having missed '83 as a player.
Porplycia was outstanding, must win Jack Oatey, surely.
by LPH
Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your Shout...
by LPH
Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK, the 2015 Caulfield Cup – as most know, I’ve already backed Who Shot Thebarman.
Before the barrier draw, I liked the 4 Place Dividends & the $26 was Juicy. That said, after the Barrier Draw, I am less confident of him winning. That’s the gamble when you take the ‘early price’. This is a high rating Caulfield Cup Field – the best for a long time IMHO. A bit of rain about to take the ‘jar’ out of the track will suit most horses, one would think. I thought I would approach the Race like the Epsom, & give reasons for ‘removal’ – here goes:

(1) Protectionist – out of form badly, not target race, be surprised if he made Top 5 (REMOVE)
(2) Snow Sky – 1st run in Oz, Good Jockey, Distance Record Good, Good Gate, can run Top 5 (IN)
(3) Fame Game – 1st Run in Oz, 1st Up record poor, Target Race Melbourne Cup, Good Jockey, Difficult Gate @ Caulfield, can run Top 5 (IN)
(4) Our IvanHowe – excellent run in Bart Cummings (suited by Flemington?), Great Distance Record, Bad Gate, will enjoy the weight drop on last 2 runs, can run Top 5 (IN) Will have a Place Ticket in him.
(5) Hokko Brave – better suited by trip than Fame Game, Great Jockey, 1st Run in Oz, 1st Up record good, can run Top 5 but the 2nd stringer of the Japanese Runners so prepared to risk (REMOVE)
(6) Mongolian Khan – Great Gate, Kiwi Jockey (that’s a minus IMHO), good ‘traditional’ lead up runs (7 days since last run?), very short price, will appreciate the weight drop on last few runs, has the ideal profile for this race (winner AJC Derby), obviously Top 5 runner but I will risk due to 7 day back up, Price & Jockey (REMOVE)
(7) Trip to Paris – Not target Race, he’s a better chance in the Melbourne Cup on the bigger track but distance record is good & he’s very well weighted in this race Saturday, good Gate, good Jockey, can run in Top 5 (in fact I think he will race like a typical English Stayer from the front & happy to be 2 or 3 wide with galloping room (IN) Will have a Place Ticket on this runner.
(8) Who Shot Thebarman – I believe he’s been set for this race 4th Up, bad gate will make tactics interesting (I expect he’ll go back from the jump & Shinn to try & get mid-field with cover going out of the straight the 1st time), I’m saying ‘Yes’ but obviously I am less confident from that gate (IN – maybe the wallet talking now though)
(9) Grand Marshall – I’m saying no, despite the good Gate & good Jockey, think his target race is the Melbourne Cup (he was 5th Up into the Sydney Cup in the Autumn), that said, I don’t rate this horse as highly as the other 2 Waller runners (REMOVE)
(10) Royal Decent – the only negative I can see with this Mare is the barrier & where does she end up going out the straight the 1st time? She’s well weighted & I think they will go forward & try & lead of be in the 1/1, I think there is a risk that if that happens she might struggle to finish off the trip, but she can Top 5 & it wouldn’t surprise me if she won it with the right run, she’s very good & might be best @ the 2000m of the McKinnon @ WFA on Derby Day (IN)
(11) Volky – 4 weeks ago I thought he could win, not going well enough IMHO (REMOVE)
(12) Hauraki – Godolphin means always a chance in these races, McDonald is arguably the best (I think Bowman is but) Jockey in the land, well weighted, Gate OK, should be mid-field past the post the 1st time, distance isn’t a concern as he ran 2nd to Mongolian Khan in the AJC Derby, personally I think his price reflects that fact rather than being a genuine 2nd favourite, but McDonald & Godolphin mean (IN)
(13) Lucia Valentina – not the same Mare this season to last, badly out of form, poor Gate, does drop a lot of weight from the Epsom but I fancy she likes the ‘sting’ out of the ground & for that reason she’s out for me (REMOVE)
(14) Rising Romance – 2nd last year means she has to be a chance to win the race, gate OK to get a good spot going past the post the 1st time, Trainers are ‘braining’ them @ the moment, Jockey is a concern, as is her run in the Turnbull, concede she can finish Top 5 but 4 different riders this preparation suggests ‘unlocking’ the secret from 2014 appears elusive & her reasonably short price must be based on last year’s result more than current form (REMOVE)
(15) Magicool – not the same horse that ran so well in the Winter, concede he’s a Trifecta hope on the QLD Derby run but not for me, genuine outsider in this field (REMOVE)
(16) Gust of Wind – been some tips around for her & based on the AJC Oaks win (beating Winx) she should be right in this race, no weight is a huge plus, good Gate, Jockey is not afraid to do anything to win (he’s copped plenty of suspensions in Melbourne, probably why Hayes Camp got rid of him?) if she can reproduce the Oaks form of the Autumn, she can win the race IMHO – the weight drop to 51 kgs is significant & for that reason alone she has to be a Top 5 Prospect (IN)
(17) Set Square – VRC Oaks winner last year, good Jockey, OK Gate, no weight, good form. The run in the Turnbull was very good & the Trainer is under-rated IMHO, if I give Gust of Wing a chance, then I have to give this Mare a chance as well (IN)
(18) Magnapal – Gate is poor, Jockey OK (best provincial Jock in Oz IMHO), form is good – if The United States was in this race it would be much shorter than $41, so that alone suggests this runner is over the odds, that said I think it can’t win so prepared to risk (REMOVE)

So that leaves us with Numbers: 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 16, 17 – too many to Box up… so we need to reduce them; Based on Jockeys: 2, 3, 8, 10, 12, 17 … Based on Barriers: 2, 3, 7, 12, 16 … Based on Distance: 2, 3, 4, 7, 16, 17
Boxing 6 runners because 8 is my runner: 2, 3, 7, 8, 12, 17 … God that was difficult!
Good Luck Lads, reckon despite above I could still miss the winner!

Other Races:

Like Ragnaar in the Caulfield Classic – David Hayes was a ‘wrap’ for this horse in light of the Derby. So if he’s to be a genuine Derby chance, you’d expect he runs well here. That said, I’m prepared to bet the Value on Etymology – forgive the run @ Flemington. If you were impressed by Tarzino last week (although he cost me a collect on my Trixie, I was) you have to take the $15 for this runner. McDonald taking the ride ahead of Shards is a lead , I reckon.

Jesse Belle in the Tristarc Stakes – she’s a good each way Bet IMHO. I will be hanging out for the best double figures I can get - reckon she’s going to be overlooked on the TOTEs somewhat. Best TOTE for the Place, might get you $4 the Place @ race time. The money will come for Catkins (as one would expect) & also Sabatini – her last run was very good & has a great 2nd Up Record … Catkins is the one to beat, clearly, at the weights she’s the one but I like Jesse Belle due to the Price but also her record @ Caulfield – from the wide barrier, I expect she’ll be near the back, hopefully not on the fence, about 4th last on the outside. If they go hard up front (& I expect they will, with Solicit, Tycoon Tara, La Passe & Catkins taking up the running), she might be the one finishing hard down the centre of the track – which has been the place to be over the Caulfield Carnival.

Miss Promiscuity might be a value runner in the last race, the Alinghe – great record Track, Distance. I’ll be using her in a Place Trixie or Yankee but happy to wait for the day for a better price – missed the $19 at the start of the week.

As I said earlier, I reckon this is one of the best Cup fields assembled in a long time. 8)
Enjoy another great day’s racing – let’s hope we can get some in the ‘kick’ for Mooney Valley next week. :D
The Cox Plate next week is 'mouth watering' - What a potential Field!
by LPH
Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK Lads, gotta work again tomorrow night - so here's this week's installment (geez I could do with a winner!) 8)

The brilliant, high quality racing continues this weekend @ Mooney Valley. A bit unlucky last week with 4 x Place Getters but no winners – ordinary performance by Who Shot Thebarman, circling the field & failing to run on. As you know I hate post mortems – so onward & upward!

Manikato Stakes (just another SA Champ to ‘border hop’ & prove to be a Great) on Friday Night looks to be a ‘mouth watering’ affair – I reckon EVERY horse has a chance to win it, as the quality of the sprinters in the Race is fantastic. Chautauqua is clearly the BEST Sprinter in the race, arguable if it’s the Best Horse – as Buffering’s record is outstanding. Tactics will play a bit part in the outcome, I would think.

I can see Buffering jumping to the lead from the gate, with Srikandi following him across, Rebel Dane pushing up to sit behind him, Rich Enuf looking for the 1/1, Alpha Miss looking for a trail (perhaps 1 out, 2 back) & Chautauqua, Fast n Rocking, Terravista & Griante all going back. That means the favourite could well be stuck on the fence in a pocket, looking for a way out at the ‘school’, 500m to 600m from home. The EVENS the win will look difficult from there, particularly if Buffering gets his on way up front.

I’m looking at one of the wider runners with cover, to utilise the ‘camber’ & run over the top with the favourite hitting the line hard. As a result, I’m going with Fast n Rocking 1 by 3 units . The Rupert Clarke is some ‘form race’ & at the value, I think he’s the bet - for me at least.
Boxing 3: Chautauqua, Buffering, & Fast n Rocking for first & second, with the Field for third – for 50% @ $24. ( 1,2,6/1,2,6/Field )

Cox Plate : What an unbelievably high class field – personally (I know it’s a big call) but I reckon duel winner So You Think would struggle to Place in this field (perhaps as a 3 yr old with the weight advantage of that year, but not as a 4 yr old). Anyway, to the race: I really hate the fact that we haven’t seen a number of the overseas runners run here yet – even not so much as a track gallop @ the Valley. That makes lining up the runners very difficult.

I know Winx burnt me in the Epsom (although I did back the runner up) but the tight confines of the Valley is going to make her ‘come from behind’ style a difficult task to win the race & at $5.50 she’s too short for me. Hayes said before the Caulfield Stakes that if they didn’t beat Criterion that day, they wouldn’t beat him in the Cox Plate – I agree with him but a number of these horses didn’t run in that race. He’s a good PLACE chance for mine, happy to take 6/4 ($2.50) the Place on him if I can get it.

I do like Preferment in the race – his target is obviously the Cup in 10 days but he’s the ‘form horse’ & with an easy run in transit, could be the one using the camber to his advantage late & 2000m is his perfect distance . All the overseas runners are good & O’Brien is an outstanding Trainer – of them, I like the outsider Gallo Chop . His form @ the distance is outstanding, his second to Solow 2 starts back rates highly & if you go back a bit further, he ran fourth in a race that last year’s winner Adelaide ran second in – Place Ticket at least on him, will take him 1 by 4 units I think .

So my 3 bets in the race will be: Criterion the Place – if I can get $2,50; Gallo Chop 1 by 4; & Preferment 1 by 3 … I’ll be boxing those 3 with Highland Reel & the ‘forgotten horse’ Fawkner for the Trifecta.

Other Races:
In the Mooney Valley Cup (Race 6) Bold Sniper - if he can settle, he’ll be hard to beat in this race. As always, I’m gunna wait for the Power Price - $13 & $3.60 will be very juicy if I can get it. Currently $11 & $3.30 . I will be happy with $10 plus.

Obviously, I like both Tarzino & Jameka in ‘The Vase’ but they are too short for me – can’t have them at those prices.

In the Crystal Mile , Hopfgarten runs & I will be spewing if he runs a place. He was in the wrong part of the track at Caulfield last start & he’s over the odds @ $41 but I won’t be on him this time. I’m going to back Waller’s Strawberry Boy . Clearly, Lucky Hussler is the one to beat but I’m looking forward to Strawberry Boy getting a much better run from this gate. He’s finally drawn well & that means Cassidy won’t have to push forward too hard & burn ‘petrol’ early – he might even get a ‘sit’ because I think Turn Me Loose will push up from the inside gate & I also expect Worthy Cause to try & lead, so Jimmy might get a nice sit behind these 2. His record at the distance is excellent & the compressed weight scale of this race (only 0.5 kgs) is to Strawberry Boy’s advantage over all runners except the favourite – he’ll do me.
Currently $21 & $4.60 - $5 the place would be very nice, but anything above $17 & $4.20 I’ll take 1 by 3 units.

There might be one in Brisbane too. Doomben Race 6 Number 10 Sea Red . She’s been backed from $26 to $13. As you know I am a Heathcote fan. Likes the track & distance, good gate from the 1350m start @ Doomben & the claim means she’ll have no issue running on in the straight. Worth a ticket?

Another outstanding Weekend of Spring Racing Lads – Enjoy!
A couple of winners would be nice though.
by LPH
Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Derby Day, the BEST Race Day of the year IMHO – used to have 5 Group 1s but now only 4.
On paper it looks a reasonably easy day but as we all know, paper can lie! So lets get to it…

The Derby – I told you weeks ago that Tarzino was the one in this race (I’ve had him in my Star Stable the whole time), it looks like he ‘just wins’ but the price is way too short for me – remember Whobegotyou? Best horse in the race, raging favourite, & got too far back, beaten by a 100/1 shot from little old Adelaide.
I’m backing Etymology – McDonald getting on board is a lead I think & Shards has drifted in the market as a result.
A lot of talk about the Perth runner Kia Ora Koutou.
Boxing 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 for the Trifecta.

The McKinnon – don’t support the idea of moving this race to the final day of the VRC Carnival, takes away from the possibility of running before the Cup. Gallo Chop was disappointing last week, apparently ‘pulled’ quite hard early & that put pay to his chances.
I’m prepared to forgive that run & back him tomorrow. There’s been money for him & I reckon anything above $10 is a sweet price.

The Lexus – Hawkspur ran his best race for ages in the Bart Cummings last start, running third.
He’s got a bit of form so could be a chance in the race, but he’s let me down too many times over his career.
I’m going to back the Lloyd Williams runner Chance to Dance , 1 by 3 units.
Gunna wait for the Power Price in the morning - $11 & $3.50 would be enough for a serious go I reckon – currently $10 & $3.30.

The Myer – Royal Decent will appreciate the drop in class here, back to her own sex. Is she at the end of her prep? The set weights of this race give her a big advantage over the rest of the Mares – she should run first 3 comfortably. Wait for the TOTE Price (best TOTE would be the go), $2.20 the Place & I’d be loading up .
That said, I am a big Jesse Belle Fan. She does get back in her races & that is an issue, but she should love the 3 furlong straight @ Flemington.
I can she her ‘peeling out’ @ the 500m & storming home down the outside. A bit rain about to soften up the track by Race 8, would aid her too . I’ve already backed her but I think I’ll be adding more tomorrow.
I do like this race as a Trifecta Race. Keen to take ‘Legs’ here: 1, 6, 15 / 1, 3, 6, 15 / Field for 35% will cost $41.

The Wakeful – going to have a small go on a roughie in this race, No. 11 Ritzy .
Currently $26 & $7, think you’ll get better tomorrow. Might be the ‘fresh’ horse on the scene & she could be a sneaker place chance early.

Enjoy another fantastic day’s racing Lads.
I’ll be trying to watch as many as I can on my mobile, whilst playing cricket - will need to field on he fence!

Looking forward to Cup Day on Tuesday.
by LPH
Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Melbourne Cup

Happy to have only lost $20 on the race!
Criterion 15 x 45 saved me.

Bookies the big winners today!

Oh well, another wasted night of 4+ hrs of Form, for little return!
There's always next year.

Back markers never had a chance with that 'walking' pace for the 1st Mile or so.
Really suited those in the front 1/2.

Always Oaks Day 8)
by LPH
Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hiya Lads,

I'm back - did you expect anything less considering the 1st Group 1 of the New Year?
Am currently in Moloolaba QLD for the National Open Water Swimming Championships - the 16 yr old is swimming in the Men's Open 10km Event, the winner goes to Rio 2016 ( he won't win 8) ), but I'm not on here to talk swimming!

One of my 'old favs' is running tomorrow - Entirely Platnium.
He has a good record over 1400m & track, & his best runs are 1st & 2nd up.
Dunn is leading the Jockey Premiership in Melbourne & Gate 9 allows him to 'roll forward' - I can see him sitting outside Rebel Dane in the lead.
Currently $26 & $6.50, probably get a better price in the 'hour of power' - he's well worth an E/Way ticket tomorrow in The Orr Stakes.
Trifecta: Box 3,4,9,10,12,13

In Race 3, the Fillies Prelude, the fav should win (all things considered) but, I'm going to back one @ odds - the Snowden Runner; Quick Feet, No. 8. The Sydney 2 yr old form is often superior this time of year. She's drifted in the market (which is often a bad sign) but that might be because more money has come for the fav (no. 3) - Blake Shinn is in the top 3 Sydney riders IMHO, a good gate & a fast jump could mean she's right in the race with 100m to go.
The Snowden's are going well this season, after a year to establish themselves away from Darley/Godolphin.
She might be a 'smokey' for the 'Diamond' in 2 weeks & these current odds tomorrow are very inviting.

In The Apollo in Sydney we see the return of Winx - she would have to be too good for these, wouldn't she?

Enjoy the start of the Autumn Lads, 12 odd weeks of great racing to come :D
by LPH
Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... aadb6ae75a

"Earth calling Kurt, come in Kurt... Earth calling Kurt, come in Kurt..."

AFL Reserves will save the SANFL Clubs, eh?

Pfft...
by LPH
Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 0419236dd2

Well, well, well...

The introduction of AFL Reserves Teams continues to bring sunshine to the League...
by LPH
Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: financial projections

No-one is suggesting that these financial problems didn't exist before the advent of the Cows & PAPs Reserves, but...
Part of the 'sales pitch' was the added revenue promised from a range of Hypothetical Revenue Streams, invented by Chapman & Trigg.

Clubs (Glenelg, Eagles, West, Sturt, North) all voted without consultation with their Members (the 'bread & butter' supporters) who turn up every week, pump money through the Bars, Food/Drink Vendors & Merchandise Stands. This has evaporated (as predicted by many) & this has no doubt contributed to an increased loss, across the board.

To simply say to the people (who were metaphorically 'shat on' by their Club's Leaders & Boards) to go buy a Membership & return to the footy, fails to see the reality of the issue & the disillusionment they/we feel. I will never return - my Membership Money goes elsewhere now (Adelaide United & SA Jockey Club). At the very least, these organisations give me a say @ Membership Meetings.
Unlike Kurt & his cronies, they at least respect me enough to listen to my POV & my 'vote' means something to them.

Sadly, the damage is done.

Chiggy, Slaven, etc. acted like 'Vegas Virgins' - they were blinded by the bright lights & the empty promises.
Including AFL Reserves into the competition was NEVER about what was best for the SANFL, it was ALWAYS about what was best for THEM, alone.
Sadly, what so many warned against, the birds are coming home to roost.
Believe me, we who have been shat on, take ZERO pleasure in this.
But they made their beds by not DEBATING the issues completely & rushing into bed & whoring themselves to their AFL overlords.

Oh, & BTW - what of the role that the Commercial Media played in the whole thing?
Rowe, Dillon, Roo, Ditmar, Bickley, etc. ... as always, they allow the fire to be started, then fan the flames to increase the Inferno, then wash their hands of it & say "Oh what a pity".
by LPH
Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agreed JK. However there seems to be a few that are so ANTI it they want to say it has a part to do with their or other clubs debt. Did SANFL supporters ABANDON their club when Woodville came in ? Did they ABANDON their club when Central came in ?

They are just doing their club and the competition a disservice . If their argument is accurate I assume them not staying away clubs would make a profit ? So in actual fact it's these people to blame from their logic. Hasn't there been clubs make a profit recently ?
To make it clear ...........I AM AGAINST THE AFL TEAMS IN OUR COMPETITION.

Mate, I didn't even abandon MY Club when they were forced to MERGE with Woodville, let alone abandon them when they were robbed of a heap of their Zone, due to Woodville fitting in between Port & the 'Port Natives' (WTFC), ultimately resulting in their slow demise over 3 decades.
Don't preach to me about 'loyalty' & 'sticking it out' - ONCE is enough FFS!
The Club I loved, the Club I played for, the Club I spent the 1st 20 yrs of my life supporting, DIED in 1990.
Ironically, due to the advent of the Crows & the fear of the further impact financially on WTFC & the SANFL as a whole.
(Go back & read the history of what happened in 1990 due to PAFC's lies & deceit & their forcing of Basheer's & Whicker's hands).
Despite this, I began supporting the 'new' entity. In 2006, finally embracing the 'One Club' - up until then, there was still West Torrens & Woodville Fans.

To be fair, I discussed the AFL Reserves issue face-to-face with Kurt Slaven , I wrote letters to the Club, I even stated (to Kurt) that should the Club put the decision (to vote Yes or No) to its MEMBERS & the Members came back 51% in favour of allowing the Cows & PAPs into the Comp, (although not happy with the decision) I would CONTINUE to support the Club, both financially & vocally/in person.
He & the other 'Leaders' didn't even allow the Members to vote. As a result, I left the Club - on principle.

Please don't preach to me about "... self-fulfilling prophecies", when those of us who could see through the lies peddled by Trigg & Chapman from the beginning, alerted everyone including the Media (who incidentally CHANGED their position, to 'tow the Party line') that there were huge holes in their figures. Sturt were in trouble, as were Westies. They voted Yes for selfish reasons, fair enough. Norwood 'flip-flopped' because they managed to negotiate a better deal for salary cap breaches - again, understandable to a degree. But WWTFC, NAFC & GFC had the chance to block the vote but their so-called 'Leaders' made decisions to 'feather their own personal nest', not in the interests of their Clubs or the Competition. By no means are they solely to blame, but because they were conned by the lies, here they are - in worse shape than when they began.

Yes, Clubs have contributed to their own demise in making some poor financial decisions - one of which was 'buying' the empty promises of increased revenue as a result of the AFL Teams entering the Competition. Even the 'pro' lobby must recognise that the 'Walker Match' (which has been used by so many as a positive example), what we all said at the time - it was a one off, unlikely to be repeated, & distorted the Crowd figures of 2014 (as was the Grand Final that year) - it, like the empty promises based on hypotheticals, was UNSUSTAINABLE.

It is very sad what is happening to out 150 yr old competition, even sadder what has happened to the WAFL.
The WAFL is now officially dead, it is the WAFL in NAME only.
We can still save the SANFL from the same demise by kicking them out. Granted, the damage may already be done.
But you can bet your life, that should the SANFL continue as it is, it WILL be dead in 5 yrs, just like our Western cousins.
Kicking the AFL Teams to the kurb, might breath life back into the SUPPORT of the Competition.

Regardless, due to the principle, I won't return to WWTFC - but with the AFL Scum kicked out, I WILL return to watching more SANFL Games & spending my money over the bars & through the Food stands.

Rant over... Cue the 'pro lobby' 8)
by LPH
Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Lads, Autumn Carnival heats up tomorrow - 3 x G1's in Melbourne, & the Chipping Norton in Sydney :D
Winx just wins the C.N. Stakes doesn't she?

Reckon JK won't be surprised when I say I'm backing Stratum Star in the Futurity.
22 starts for 15 Placings; 6 of those @ the distance, 5 @ the Track including 3 wins, 75% Placing 2nd Up, 2 wins & a 3rd from 4 starts Track/Distance.
Has a better Gate than the other Weir runner but I think the better Jockey is on the other one - that said, Zahra is no 'mug'.
Happy to take the $15 & $4.20 on offer - think he'll run Top 5 for sure.
Danger? Last year's winner could well do it again, Suavito - great 1st Up & its record is better than Stratum Star.

Blue Diamond? We haven't had a 'roughy' win the Diamond for a few years, I think - can't recall since Hayes' runner a few years back, Reaan (wasn't it about 15/1?) Might be time for an upset, perhaps? Heard Hayes talking about his Filly 'Zimzam', he reckoned it was his best chance & to disregard the previous run. At the price, I'll take her the PLACE I think. BTW, it appears there's been Money for the Hawkes runner 'Star Turn' - might be worth an E/Way Ticket too.

The Oakleigh Plate often throws up a good priced winner. I backed Shamal Wind last year & also Miss Onasis (@ $26) 3 yrs ago, so I love this race :D
Atmospherical ran 3rd in this race last year, she's some hope from the Gate. I think 'Fast n Rocking' is an under rated Horse, wouldn't surprise to see him win. The Top Weight will be in it for a long way, too. That said, I reckon they'll be 'flying' up front in this race, so its likely (like last year) that the winner will be finishing over the top of them - 'The Quarterback' could be the one. Gunna back BOTH No 1 & No. 11 E/Way, plus a Box Trifecta: 1, 3, 8, 10,11, 12.

Happy Punting Boys :D
by LPH
Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

THAT, my friends, was a GOOD Day on the punt! :D
Hope you managed to back any (or all) of those 3!!!
$4.20 PLACE Stratum Star.
$6.50 PLACE ZimZam.
$31.50 (Best TOTE) & $7 Flamburge. :lol:
Winx was the worst price, $1.40 - but didn't she win well?
by LPH
Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a great day’s racing in stall tomorrow!
Last week my Star Stable had 4 runners – 1 winner Top Melbourne, 2 x 2nd & a 4th.
Sadly, I only backed one of them – Tarzino :(

So to the final decent Day’s racing in Melbourne before we switch to Sydney for the next month. Going to United tonight, so form done early…

Australian Cup - I backed Our Ivanhoe 2 weeks ago @ $13 All In, so happy with his shortening price & see no reason to think he can’t win. Based on his previous run (very unlucky), he should comfortably run in the Top 5 – reckon he can win.
I am wary of 2 other well priced runners: Happy Trails – proven WFA performer, but is he finished? He’s an 8 yr old now & he may have seen better days. At his best, he can win. But the question is; Is his best behind him?
The other ‘value runner’ is Almoonqith . 2nd up may well be good for him. He’s a Geelong Cup winner & the open spaces of the Flemington Straight, should suit him. His 2nd Up record is 75% win (3 from 4). Michael Walker would be very keen to do well after his long absence, too. I give him a real chance of Top 5. Latest PLACE price was $6, so happy to take that.

Newmarket Handicap – The racing pattern of the Top Weight is to his detriment tomorrow I think. He’ll have to lug 58kgs (only Shaftsbury Avenue & Black Caviar have carried that to win, whilst Hay List carried 58.5kgs). With his ‘come from behind’ racing pattern, I think he’s vulnerable.
All 3 x Waller Runners are definite winning hopes.
I can see The Quarterback getting a good run off the speed & he’s got 6kgs less than Chautauqua. If they ‘fly’ up front, then he might peel off the back of the ‘toppy’ with 100m to go. I’m gunna back him Eachway. His record @ the track & at the distance is very good & if they get some rain, that won’t worry him either.
At the price, I’m taking him. Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 6, 8, 10

I like Jesse Belle 3rd Up in the last race too. She hasn’t won 3rd up but has been placed, 2 of 3. I backed Whistle Baby 2 weeks ago when 2nd to Wawail, Jesse Belle was 4th & didn’t have a lot of luck. She takes on the boys here but her record @ both the track & distance is good. $5.50 is a little ‘skinny’ for me, I would settle for $6.50. She should be primed for this race (she’s 4 placings from 6 starts this track & distance) but the gate is a little concern. If I can get $2.50 the Place , I’ll load up on her I reckon. Hopefully she doesn’t use too much petrol early, getting a spot.

As I mentioned last week, Tommy Berry has an amazingly high win strike rate when riding for Chris Waller, 30+% . He has 2 x rides for Waller tomorrow, in Races 8 & 9. Both horses are very well priced. I’m going to back his Ajax Ride, Weary . If it was wet, he’d be 3/1 in this race. I’m not saying he’ll win the race (even though I will be backing him 1 x 4) but I think from the alley, he’ll get a good run.
Track record good, distance record good, Track/Distance record good. My worry is the ‘ground’, but that said; most of the ‘fancied runners’ have drawn wide, except Generalife & Rock Sturdy. Weary is not a fast starter, so I can see him being 3rd or 4th back, the fence. I expect 6, 9, 10, 11 to be in the 1st 5 runners. 6 & 11 might need to do some work to get there. If Berry can have him 6th or 7th the Rails, he’ll need a bit of luck but he could be in the finish. I think the $21 is over the odds , he should be more of a $12 to $15 price IMHO.

The Pago Pago traditionally has provided a late entry into the Slipper, next week. The winner of this race won’t win the Slipper.
Bjorn Baker is another Kiwi Trainer who, having moved to Sydney, has been ‘braining them’ over the past few years. He invariably trains good 2 yr olds. I like on-pace 2 yr olds, particularly @ Rosehill. I’ve backed No. 9 The Reverend Demon @ $21. & $5.50 . The PLACE price is nice for an on-pacer. Hopefully, Avdulla gets to ‘cuddle’ him between the 5 furlongs & the 250m mark. If he does, he could account for these, although I am wary of Lionhearted, the Hayes runner. I think the ‘big’ stables already have their ‘1st stringers’ in the Slipper field, so @ the price, I like this Baker runner.

Enjoy the Day Boys – Happy Punting! :D
Hopefully Our Ivanhoe can win for both my Wallet & my Star Stable 8)
by LPH
Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^^ Fixed... Grumpy Old Fart ;)
by LPH
Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Boys, sorry for the lateness but has been a VERY busy day!
Haven't had a huge look @ the Form - based on last week's results, that might be a good thing!

Huge Day @ Randwick tomorrow.
ATC Derby - Tarzino is unbackable really. Based on his lead up runs, he just Wins doesn't he? Etymology ran 2nd to Tarzino in the Vic Derby, so he's not without a chance but McDonald has taken the ride on the other Godolphin runner so that suggests he can't win. I think the $3.90 is too short the Place, so I'll be watching the Race rather than betting. Jameka is an interesting runner & can probably win the race with the right run, but I think she's too short too. $10 would tempt me but that won't happen.

Doncaster - The mare should win, shouldn't she? That said, it is a Handicap & she has drawn awkwardly in 11- she'll go back anyway, but will she get in? 8 straight means she'll be 'carrying the Grandstand', too. Stratum Star (JK?) - not for me. Turn Me Loose ran terribly in the George Ryder - there were excuses IMHO. I'm prepared to forgive that run & go on the Melbourne runs. At the $31 & $7 I am prepared to have a bet. I'm also prepared to back First Seal - from the Gate it will get the 'gun' run & I am a Tommy Berry fan. The $4.20 the PLACE on offer is nice. I think Kermadec can win the race but I am wary of the Hong Kong riders & their confusion with the whip rules. That said, if Morena was riding, I wouldn't be so concerned - he's a freak rider! Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

The TJ Smith - Flamberge has been absolutely outstanding this prep. Can he make it 3? Not convinced about the 'Toppy' - pattern of racing doesn't help him, Gate doesn't help & he has to carry 1/2kg more than he carried in finishing 3rd in the Newmarket, but he does get the advantage of the Set Weights here. Is 35/10 too short, I think so. I'm backing Terravista in this race - $13 & $3.60 is very nice too. Track & Distance record is 5 starts for 4 wins & a 3rd - he should've won the Lightning, but for Oliver dropping the 'stick', he'll do me. Box Trifecta: 1, 4, 10, 13, 14, 15

Enjoy another great day in front of the Box Lads - hopefully we can have a collect or two 8)
by LPH
Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cornes complaint

I have read the entire thread, with great interest.
Some good comment both For & Against.
FWIW, I think its clearly an over reaction by a couple of recently retired AFL footballers - using the vehicle of their association with the Media & Media people to 'beat up' what can only be described as a minor altercation.

I think we need to hear from the former Federal Candidate for Boothby on the issue.
I think we need an unbiased, non-hidden agenda, point-of-view ... Oh, wait a minute :roll:

The argument about 'Family Friendly' doesn't really 'wash' IMHO because there is a designated Family Friendly Area @ each ground & I'm pretty sure none of these are in front of the largest Bar in the ground. If one doesn't wish one's children to hear bad language or witness "ferals" behaving poorly, perhaps one should lock one's children in their bedrooms? Although, they'll probably access that sort of thing on Youtube or Social Media, anyway!

Surely, going to the footy, standing on the Hill, sinking a few beers & engaging in (mostly) humorous & witty banter with opposition supporters is all most of us have left in terms of seeking some 'Middle-Aged Fun'? If that were to cease, what would the Crowds @ SANFL matches look like then?
by LPH
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got out with Grande Punto @ Rosehill today 8)
Nothing like leaving it late :roll:
$10 & $3 fixed :D
Do you think I was kicking it home, listening on my phone @ Marion Swim Centre?!?!
Got some funny looks in the Stand :oops:
by LPH
Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I drive home from McLaren Vale to the city each day.
As a result, I generally flick between MMM & AA - I actually prefer MMM as the lesser of 2 evils.

Anyway, AA have 'Gazza' on about 5:45pm - gets a fair hearing re: AFL Reserves & the Bay's plight.
Good Call.

So I got inspired, & rang myself - got on after 6pm News.
To be fair, I also got a good 'hearing'.
Bickley won't hear anything negative about the Cows/Power in the comp - keeps raising the 'Crowd Figures' as justification.
Rowe seems to be reluctantly & hypocritically accepting the facts - despite his support during the 'No AFL in the SANFL' Campaign.

With every SANFL Club that begins to 'rattle the can' for survival - Ross Oakley must 'pop the corks' in celebration.
So sad to see our once great competition reduced to 'beggar' status :(
by LPH
Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

^ This!!!

Eloquent & reasoned as always, Mag...
by LPH
Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

The fact that spectators are throwing projectiles on to the arena is being 'glossed over'!
It is dangerous & disrespectful - if her intent was racial, then that ADDS to the disrespect.
This is the players work place - it is sacred & spectators haven't EARNED the right to be out there.
Do we want nets up around the ground to protect players?
There is no place for the racial overtones but shouldn't the fact that projectiles are being thrown at least get raised?
'Don' said if Steven Milne had it done to him, it would be different - Err, NO IT WOULDN"T!
by LPH
Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The catalyst for the WWT merger was the financial health of each club. Im sure the formation of the Crows probably expedited the process, but cant see how it wouldn't have happened regardless. If the other clubs have managed to survive in their own right this long, then I can't see how any further mergers would have been required back then.
Not Woodville mate, only Torrens were up the creek. Woodville just wanted success and an easier way to maintain viability.
Torrens were about 1 million in debt from memory.

Yeah I knew Torrens were in strife, but I thought whilst not as dire, the Warriors were battling financially also?

Overstated.
Between $300 & $400K was the total debt - that's my understanding.
Norwood were the most financial Club, followed by Woodville - despite their lack of on-field success.
Torrens had been a 'basket case' for around a decade, due to mismanagement - The Board was full of political infighting & 'factions'.
Thebby was appallingly run down & in need of a major 'face-lift' - with their debt problems, the Club couldn't afford to do it.

It was the fear of the changing face of Footy in SA (due to the emergence of the AFL Team) that acted as the catalyst - it is my understanding that Bill Sanders was influential (at least initially) in progressing the 'talks'.

As for the PRS & 'Player Drain' - it was becoming unworkable.
How bazar that a Victorian in Rudi Mandemaker was actually on the scheme!
Wedgie is correct, however, when he suggests the Draft does the same in terms of losing talent over the border.
IMHO, what is most sad about the Draft is the fact that the majority of Cows players are actually from Victoria!
How ironic - oh, for a PRS now!

Hindsight is wonderful thing.
The addition of the 'Adelaide Football Club' to the VFL was first mooted by Basheer & Whicker in 1981.
Had we actually been allowed to join then, who knows, the current problem may not have arisen.
Let's face it - the Brisbane Bears would NOT have been considered, had SA fielded a side in the VFL - the VFL hastily 'invented' the Bears because they wanted more TV coverage. How ridiculous to call a Team from the Gold Coast, Brisbane! Was doomed from the start.

As for bagging Centrals supporters for refusing to watch their side play a Team of Professionals - that misses the point.
I would hazard a guess that the same supporters refused to attend Minor Round games v the Cows - how is it suddenly different because its a Final?

FWIW, this season is the 1st season in 41 years that I personally haven't attended an SANFL Game - that includes 1988 to 1990 when I lived interstate & 1998 to 1999 when I lived in London! No doubt there are others in 'the same boat' & THAT is both sad & the point of the 'anti-AFL' sentiment.
The 'Occupation' is wrong... Viva the Resistance!
by LPH
Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

^^^ Hahaha! I was there behind the concourse on the Eastern Wing of Footy Park when the 2 x Cheers Squads met, changing ends, that day!

Would love to see the 'Crow on a Stick' - might be a bit easier than a 'Cow' :)
by LPH
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agreed, the damage may be irreparable and beyond repair.

Not sure that should be a reason not to try & fix the problem that the 'weak 7' brought upon themselves.
My gut feeling is they/we won't get the chance - as tipper suggests re: The North Board.

It is 'modern leadership practice' to make a decision, without consultation or adequate debate, then when it all goes 'pear shaped', vehemently defend that decision with all your might despite knowing it was a poorly conceived one. That appears to be the 'Olsen Way', doesn't it?
by LPH
Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

3/9/2016

So here we are again, Spring time. Can Winx do a Sunline & win a 2nd Cox Plate? Will an Australian Horse win the Melbourne Cup like the 100/1 outsider last year? Can Simon O’Donnell finally buy his way to a winning ‘OTI Racing’ Cup winner? Will Waller or O’Shea be able to combat Weir’s dominance of Victorian Racing? Or will the ‘Hayes Camp’ shine after such a long ‘lay-off’ during the formation of his new ‘Lindsey Park’?
It will no doubt be exciting to observe over the next 15 or so weeks ☺

So to this week;

Mooney Valley:

It is always important when doing form @ ‘The Valley” to keep in mind those runners who have won or placed @ the track – preferably won & more than once. I also think that Barriers & position in running, particularly between the 4 furlongs & around the turn – so the ‘camber’ in the track is considered a bit like a ‘sling-shot’ down the short straight. I assume you guys would know this anyway, but these factors always influence my thoughts when ‘doing the form’.

Race 8 – Dato Tan Chin Nam

Speed Map suggests that The Cleaner, Entirely Platinum, Miss Rose De Lago & Mahuta push forward. I expect Jacquinot Bay & the Top Weight to push up from inside draws. The United States & Set Square go back.

The Cleaner will set a good tempo – has a great record Track & Trip & should take running down. 9 Starts for 5 wins at the track reads well, so does 4 from 4 Track & distance. These facts alone mean he gets at least a PLACE ticket & $4.60 the Place is over the odds IMHO . Against is his age – as a general rule I don’t like backing 9 yr olds. If he gets to ‘settle’ up front & between the 7 & 5 furlong pegs then he’s a BIG show of winning.

If the pace is on up front – let’s say that Entirely Platinum takes him on over the first 400 to 500m of the race, then it is set up for the ‘swoopers’. A horse like Suavito looks well placed to use the ‘camber’ to her advantage. Again, great record track & trip, maps well in terms of being able to ‘get out’ around the turn. If this happens, then I can see 2 other runners latching on to her back & swooping down the outside. Both I think are potential Caulfield Cup horses – The United States ($15) & Set Square ($26).
TBH, I already backed Set Square for tomorrow’s race on Ladbrokes Odds Boost earlier in the week. I actually don’t think she’ll win the race – Place is best. I do think she can win the Caulfield Cup. I am actually going to my first Caulfield Cup this year, so I have been looking at the possibilities for a while now. As for The United States, I think he can WIN this race tomorrow. Is 5/1 too short? For me it is, but if he were to get out to 7’s ($8) then I’d back him.
Box Trifecta: 2, 3, 10, 11, 13

Race 6 – The Atlantic Jewel

I am stunned that the Hayes runner Zamzam is 16/1 … Those odds are too good to refuse & the 21/1 with odds boost could not be ignored. $5 Place is very nice too. Only concern for me is the 2nd up record but that’s only one start & as a 2 yr old. Get On Eachway – 1 x 3 units

Randwick:
How many bloody wet tracks in Sydney over the past 2 months???
Heavy tomorrow at this stage & with more rain tonight its unlikely that will change by the time racing begins in the morning.

The Chelmsford used to be run at Warwick Farm before the merger of Race Clubs. It has traditionally been a bit of a ‘weak’ Group 1 race but the inclusion of the mare Winx & the Godolphin runner Hartnel make this year’s race a good quality affair.

Race 7 The Chelmsford Stakes:

Waller dominates the race again – same as last year.
No doubt the smaller field is directly related to the Champion Mare Winx being nominated for the race.
Can Hartnel beat her? Not on this Weight Scale IMHO.
Apart from those who can afford to risk ‘6 figures’ on her, will anyone seriously consider backing her @ $1.15? “Not this little Black Duck”.
Hartnel @ $1.70 the Place is better value but I am happy to watch the race, personally. Winx will win .

Race 8 The Tramway:

Track will be cut up by this race for sure. Looking for wet form & form up to the Mile.
Top Weight Le Romain is the one for me . A little concerned by the gate, think he’ll be 5th or 6th after they jump. McEvoy will need to get him out coming around the turn, perhaps pushing Hauraki or Dibayani into the race, coming over the rise in the straight. He’s 2 wins & 2 placings from 4 starts @ the track & 2nd up form is good too. He ‘ticks all the boxes’ for me & I am very happy with the 6/1 & if you can get $2.50 the Place, I think he’s an excellent Bet, Eachway .

There we go Lads. Enjoy the start of the Spring Racing tomorrow. Hopefully we can get a few winners up.
by LPH
Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

Looks like a massive Crowd @ the Oval on TV - atmosphere is electric.
Well done to the 4000 extra Cows supporters by abandoning the knitting & turning out for their Club in big numbers.
Not sure so many would be there if they weren't rewarded for their attendance all year with their free entry?
Who dares suggest this is bad for the competition?
by LPH
Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide AO Sunday 12:10

If Cows beat Nth Melbourne - Ravens by 6 to 10 goals
If Roos win - South comfortably
by LPH
Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

10/09/2016

Last week I’ll admit wasn’t the best start to the new ‘Punting Season’ – although I was very happy with the run of Set Square to finish 3rd in the Dato – terrific Caulfield Cup trial IMHO. Zamzam is still coming – missed the kick & ‘wobbled’ around the turn & ran 2nd last … Grrrr. Happy to apply a ‘forgive run’ to The United States but he’s becoming a bit costly. So to this week…

Flemington looks a difficult card – particularly with the wet weather around. The track usually ‘drains’ well, since the revamp a couple of seasons ago so I’m going on a Heavy 8 perhaps? Maybe a Soft 7 if the wind dries it out a bit. Either way, I reckon 3 or 4 horses wide down the straight might be the place to be come later in the day? Hard to predict.

Rosehill? Who knows what the Sydney weather will do! I’m going to assume they’ll get at least some of the rain with the forecast for overnight & early tomorrow – so again, happy to work around a Heavy 8 or 9 track … I reckon Sydneysiders would suggest Climate Change is a myth based on the amount of rain they’ve had this year! Anyway, to the races…

Flemington Race 7 Makybe Diva Stakes

The Weight For Age conditions of the race make this an interesting affair. Everyone keeps saying Black Heart Bart is a superstar – I’m yet to be convinced, particularly over the 8 furlongs. He’s very short at $2.35 & with the expected weather conditions, who knows how the track will play – he’s not for me.
I reckon Jacquinot Bay is a nice price Eachway in this race – good wet form, good distance form & has won up to 2000m. He doesn’t have any issue with the WFA conditions because he carries between 57 & 60 kgs every start, & was luckless on the tight ‘Valley’ track, last week. Think he’ll enjoy Flemington’s open spaces down the straight – if I can get $5 the PLACE , I reckon he’ll give me a sight.

Flemington Race 4 The Sofitel

I’ll be honest, I’ve already taken the ‘Odds Boost’ on Ladbrokes - backing Hi World ($13) earlier in the week. I took the $3.20 the Place with UBET too. Heavy is no concern. Looked like it was in need of the run @ Caulfield 2 weeks ago & has won 2nd up, albeit 1 from 4 starts. It ran 5th in a very strong form race last year behind Boban & Entirely Platinum. Has yet to win @ the track but 2 placings from 4 starts - call it a gamble, but at the price, I like him Eachway in a very open race – 4/1 the field.

Flemington Race 8 Let’s Elope Stakes

Just mentioning this race, purely because it’s named after my all time favourite Mare, Let’s Elope. I was there @ Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day 1991 to witness her demolish that field with Super Impose 4th. She was a superstar winning the Big 3 & unluckily beaten in the Cox Plate of 1992, albeit being protested against & being relegated to 5th (I had her with Super Impose in the Quinella, so I wasn’t happy!).
Enough reminiscing…

Rosehill Race 6 The Golden Rose

Astern is the rightful favourite but I’m backing the other Godolphin runner, Impending , at the price. I heard Darren Beadman’s comments a few week’s ago on Radio TAB suggesting he’s a real quality animal. The track condition is a slight concern but he has won @ Rosehill – which is a big plus, so the enhanced odds of $14 on Ladbrokes is very juicy, as is the $3.30 the place. I know, I know, Eachway again. But it is so difficult to assess early Spring Form.

I also like the Waterhouse runner, El Divino – likes the wet & good 2nd up record. Might be “one for the multiples”.

Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 7, 9, 12, 13

Rosehill Race 7 The Theo Marks

I really like another Godolphin runner here, who I think is way over the odds @ $19. McDonald in ‘the seat’, loves the track & trip, good wet form = enough boxes ticked for me. Get on No. 3 Vashka - dare I say it, Eachway. Counter Attack can win the race, but too short for me to back it & 1300m wet track is the same as 1400 to 1500m, so happy to risk Rebel Dane. The 9 has a great record & an‘up & comer’. I’ve backed the 3.

Box Trifecta: 3, 4, 5, 9, 10

I like one at Doomben tomorrow too - Yep, you guessed it, Eachway.
Race 7, No. 8 – Shipwrecked .
Good Gate (which is important @ Doomben), Great Jockey & Maps OK. Can see it sitting 1 out, about 3 or 4 back. It can improve as it loves Doomben & on the Dry, I think it’s a nice Bet @ $17 & $5 on UBET . Wait until tomorrow perhaps, but I took it 1 by 3 Units as I think it’s over the odds currently – if gets further out, I’ll just bet again!

So there we go lads, enjoy the day tomorrow. Some money in the kick would be nice…
by LPH
Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What if the 8 Clubs decided to leave the SANFL & restart the SAFA?
by LPH
Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is what I hate about the leagues and the clubs...

The constant "we should withhold information and massage the truth so as to appear as though everything is good and wonderful" as opposed to having open, honest debate, admit there's an issue, publicise that debate within will be held and from that a decision will be made, which may be that no change is made, as lets face it, some options put forward are crap and make things no better or make the league look mickey mouse just as much, just honesty and honesty in dealing with the fans is what we want.

Sad that Parko and people want to mislead to save face. That's poor leadership in anyone's book.

If I'm wrong in my workplace, I take the hit and rectify, being wrong doesn't make you a bad leader, no one is perfect, but don't cover up mistakes.

Can I come work for you?
by LPH
Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

17/09/2016
Better Day last week – couple of nice PLACE Bets came in. Unfortunately, I forgot to ‘Trixie’ & ‘Yankee’ them up, so could’ve been better. Tomorrow’s races are a lottery IMHO. The Caulfield meeting is VERY tricky. The winner of the ‘Mannerism’ gets an automatic entry into the Caulfield Cup. Once again, both Sydney & Melbourne fields are effected by the weather – more Heavy tracks again this week, sadly. Will Waller scratch Winx again, as a result? Wouldn’t surprise.

Caulfield Race 8 – The Mannerism

As I’ve already backed Set Square for the Caulfield Cup, so I’m hopeful she’ll win this race & qualify for the Cup. The trainer was on TV Sunday suggesting that Set Square & Jameka are probably going on ‘separate paths’ to the Caulfield Cup after this race. He was pretty keen to win the Mannerism, though. Berisha has already qualified for the Cup, by virtue of winning the Mornington Cup earlier in the year – so this race is just a warm up for it & it won’t be featuring in the finish IMHO. I am a fan of Tom Melbourne, I think he can be a stayer of some quality & this Spring might be the making of him – reckon he might win a race like the Mooney Valley Cup or the Lexus on Derby Day & then run well in the Melbourne Cup with 50kgs – he’s currently 119th on the Order of entry, so will need to win a big race like one of those just to get in the ‘Big One’ ($51 at present). Sorry, bit of a tangent there. This race I’ll be backing 2 of them: Excess Knowledge – good gate & will be getting a ‘gun run’ 3rd or 4th on the fence the entire trip. The other is Set Square (naturally). Double figure odds the 2 of them – I’m backing both Eachway.

Box Trifecta: 2, 3, 6, 8, 12, 13

Caulfield Race 4 – BM 90, 1400m Race

Like a fresh horse here @ the Eachway Price, No. 5 Clemency . Great record fresh & the wet conditions shouldn’t worry her. She ‘maps’ OK – I reckon Dunn will have her 3 or 4 back in (to use a Trotting term) the ‘running line’. Expect him to bring her down the middle of the straight from the 300m & if she can finish off, she can win IMHO. I’ve backed her already @ $11, so the shortening $8.50 quote is good news, - 1 x 3 Units .

Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9

These wet tracks in Sydney are beginning to annoy me. Not only does it make doing the form difficult, but the fields continually get ‘hammered’ with scratchings & that destroys the prices of those horses already backed!

Randwick Race 6 – The George Main (or if you prefer, "The Toothpaste Stakes")

8 runners – Winx is scaring away any competition! Will she win again? My gut feeling is Waller will scratch her again. I thought I heard somewhaere that the Top Weight will be scratched – anyone else hear that?

Le Romain was unlucky last start not to get us the money. At $15 I reckon he’s worth a small punt. Maybe an Exacta & Quinella too? Maybe bet like this: 3 Units the Win on Le Romain, 2 Units Exacta Winx/Le Romain, 5 Units Quinella Winx/Le Romain?

Randwick Race 8 – The Bill Richie

Interestingly, there are 2 x Godolphin Runners in the race & McDonald isn’t riding either of them.
He’s on one of the 4 Waller runners; Sadler’s Lake . Why is this? Is it because of the Inghams?
This horse has a reasonable wet record but will likely go back from the start, so that’s always a risk on a wet track. If he’s to figure in the finish, he’ll want them to be setting a good tempo up front. I reckon Lady Le Fay will probably do that. So at the price, I’m willing to gamble on Sadler’s Lake. If I can get $3.60 the PLACE , I’m very happy. Can I get $13 or $14 the win? We shall see. Big watch on No. 7 Tsarista – Berry has a very good strike rate when on Waller horses.

Box Trifecta: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Eagle Farm Race 7 - BM 75 1600m

I’m taking a punt on the weather & the track being wet. If it is (I’ve checked the forecast for Brisbane Airport which is near Eagle Farm Racecourse), then No. 4 Fusina is way over the odds @ $17. I’ve already taken it on UBET & the more rain the better for it.
I always look at Rob Heathcote runners 1st in Brisbane & I must admit I am a Jim Byrne fan too, so this 5 yr old will do me. I’m doing a ‘rain dance’ as we speak ;)

Starting get closer to October Lads & that’s when the form begins to stack up.
Enjoy another day on the punt but tread carefully, particularly in Melbourne tomorrow.
by LPH
Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MR 4 Box Trifecta pays $365
by LPH
Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great Ride!!! Got $6 & $2.20 this morning... Trifecta is a bonus too :D
by LPH
Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just out of interest...

Are there any others out there not attending a Grand Final until the 2 interlopers are gone (if ever) ?
by LPH
Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Footy 2016

Money for Jam... Bet placed @ 10:30pm when Cows beaten last Saturday Night...
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 4.58.30 PM.png
by LPH
Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

WooHoo... just booked & paid for my Reserved Seat @ the Caulfield Cup Meeting :D
$150 is a little steep, but GA = $55 ($65 on the day) - I get a Race book & a Beer + at least I can see the entire Race!
by LPH
Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |