Return

Re: Ashes 2023

Piss poor over rate as well.
by RB
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jesus H. Christ, you lot are a fickle bunch.

Yes we've had a terrible day out there but anyone would think half of you are poms, the way you're carrying on now that things have gotten tough.

We're 2-1 up in the most difficult place to tour for a reason. If our batsmen in particular can put in a few more hard yards in the remaining three innings of the series then we win.
by RB
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 19

Corona Man wrote:How shit are St Kilda?

Ross Lyon you owe me a Chicken Parma you dead set piece of shit.
*parmy
by RB
Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Traditional start time as it was here.

11.00 to 1.00
1.40 go 3.40
4.00 to 6.00 Play usually starts at 10.30 in Australia doesn't it? It did in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney in the most recent summer. Usually it starts at 10.00 in Brisbane due to the rain they often get in the evenings.

Never used to start before 11.00 anywhere else in Australia until the last 20 years or so.

I believe there was a time in England (back in Bradman's day, I think) where cricket there started at 11.30.
by RB
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Season 2023

9/9 and 223. Very happy with my Richmond/Saints player - 1.0%.
by RB
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dont agree we're a way better side
Their bowlers have done way better than ours
The bowling to the tail end has been diabolical
Mark Wood was fantastic

Cummins is a crap captain.
Their tactics have been all over the place - if they existed in the first place

We better have a new captain in a couple of years

Agree that Cummins' decisions and tactics haven't been great at times but in fairness they've managed to get us into a position where we're a win away from winning the series. Was always a stopgap in my opinion. I'd probably move him on (as captain) sooner rather than later to enable someone else (Head?) to gain some experience as captain before the next major series.

As for bowlers, Broad has done well but English conditions are always going to make it easier for him, The injection* of Wood* has changed things. But I still think we have the more talented bowling rotation and in neutral conditions I'd back our blokes.

To my mind, 2-1-1 after the first four is a fair reflection of where both sides are at. England unlucky with the weather in Manchester, but then so were we in Sydney 18 months ago.

Hopefully everything finally clicks and we make 500 at the Oval.

Edited - stuffed up the quotes.
by RB
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:Carey gone to water since stumpinggate
Ahaha, was wondering when you'd pipe up re Carey
by RB
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also how easily did the ball fit through that ring lol
by RB
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't tell me rain is going to scupper our chance at victory twice in a row!!
by RB
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

whufc wrote: Now i dont think the SANFL can replicate what the marmalade boys have done but i do think the SANFL shoots itself in the foot more often than not.

The SANFL (organization) haven't shown any interest in the actual SANFL league comp, let alone in promoting it, in 25 years.
by RB
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Those three all chose when to retire. Also the case for most of the real top players, although there are some counterexamples (e.g. Ian Healy). Then you've got players like Ponting who were basically given a farewell game and allowed to announce their retirement, rather than being dropped.
by RB
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Herschelle Stokes
by RB
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No way. Winning the series should be and I'm sure will be the most important thing.

Would go pretty reasonably hard though I reckon until one of these two gets out.
by RB
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Birthday

Happy birthday TDK.

Hopefully plenty of leather for you tonight. And willow, of course.
by RB
Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

At 2.20, preferably.
by RB
Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

I must say I am flabbergasted that a bloke who hasn't won a knockout final since 2014 and generally hasn't been successful coaching against good sides gets a 12th and 13th season.

If I were a Power fan I'd be tearing my hair out over this one.
by RB
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dutchy wrote:In the last 8 years Port and North have won the same amount of finals.
In terms of knockout finals in that time, North have won two to Port's nil. That's what I find unfathomable in terms of Kenny being extended.
by RB
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In the last 8 years Port and North have won the same amount of finals. In terms of knockout finals in that time, North have won two to Port's nil. That's what I find unfathomable in terms of Kenny being extended.

Why only 8 years, I mean aren't you talking about Ken's tenure after all?

Kenny's numbers are slightly less mediocre if you include his whole tenure, yes. I used the 8-year period referred to by Dutchy. (Ken's been there so long it does get a bit confusing!!)

Just strikes me as weird that a bloke with Kenny's record in big matches, particularly in recent years, would get extended for a 12th and 13th season.

Wouldn't be contentious to suggest that Ken can't really take Port further, and that after 11 seasons the message has perhaps gone a tad stale and it's time to for change.
by RB
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Season 2023

Bit surprised by Hickey - I know he missed a bit early this year but I reckon his form has been good enough to go another season.
by RB
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Voice Referendum - Oct 2023

This is the proposed addition to the constitution (i.e. will be inserted into the constitution if Yes vote prevails):

“Chapter IX Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples

129. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice

In recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Peoples of Australia:
- there shall be a body, to be called the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice;
- the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice may make representations to the Parliament and the Executive Government of the Commonwealth on matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- the Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws with respect to matters relating to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice, including its composition, functions, powers and procedures.”

Thought it would be useful to include this in the thread, without further comment.
by RB
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Elimination Final - Central District v Powerserves

I think the Power reserves are now 1-5 in knockout finals - last won one in 2014. A Hinkley-esque record when the pressure is on.
by RB
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Elimination Final - Central District v Powerserves

Astonishing if true.. would put any resistance to the thought the comp is massively compromised and devalued to bed once and for all. Not to mention 7 news making the point more than one that Lycett again was on managed minutes yesterday as well.. In other words getting him prepared for a potential AFL recall was more important than winning an elimination fina l.. (I haven’t seen the replay so unsure how factual that is) but again it just isn’t fair on players across all clubs (Port) included, who have sacrificed and bled for their guernseys for over a hundred years..

Which is completely rational and understandable from the Power's perspective... and just illustrates precisely why reserves teams do not belong in the SANFL.
by RB
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals Week 1

GF position there for the taking for Brisbane. Can't see Melbourne or Carlton getting close.
by RB
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Preliminary Final - Sturt v Crowserves

Spargo wrote:Sunday 10th September, Adelaide Oval 3:15pm
*17th September
by RB
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Yeah I’m a former member of the Young Libs

But seriously how dum are they if they haven’t learnt over the last 50 years that division is political death.

Just look over the border (Victoria)to see what happens when the **** conservative right start to control the right side of politics.

SA is centralist/moderate State. Give up the middle ground up at your peril and ditch the Christian conservatives as they are a ******* political cancer. Appointing Spiers as there leader showed they have learnt nothing and never learn.

It's all factional power bases and egos these days. They just can't get over themselves to get out of their own way.

My understanding is that Spiers is factionally unaligned? Plus as a bloke who hasn't been around that long, he's not really tied to any of the previous factional machinations.

I would have thought that his election as leader was less to do with factional power bases than practically any other Liberal leadership election in SA going back 50 years.

I can't think of any better options for them amongst their current crop.
by RB
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals Week 2

Gee the Giants have blown some chances. Keeping Port in the game.
by RB
Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Crikey I only mentioned it because I thought I might have got a nice sun tan if it was the sunny and 27 last year!
Not much to debate!

PS If Napolean had won at Waterloo Abba probably wouldn't have won Eurovision and become big! :o

If the American colonists lost the war of independence and remained a British colony, last year's GF probably would never had been played.
Yeah but would there still have been ABBA?

Abernethy.png
by RB
Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Finals

amber_fluid wrote:Good crowd.
They mentioned a figure yet?
They said they've ticked past 96k.
by RB
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Finals

I just feel the Giants have butchered too many chances.
by RB
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

Our run rate was approaching bazball levels. Two before stumps would be very nice.
by RB
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

England moral victors IMO.
by RB
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FMD, it wouldn't be a day ending in Y if Whuffer wasn't potting Carey.
by RB
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Voice Referendum - Oct 2023

Looking like it'll finish up about 57-43 or 58-42 to No. A slightly lower No vote than might have been expected in light of recent polls.

As expected, youth, wealth and higher education appears to be positively correlated with the Yes vote in urban/suburban areas across the country, i.e. reflecting the Republic referendum in '99.
by RB
Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes the batsmen should be watching the bowlers' arms but we are now getting pretty close to the point bowler are almost trying 'to trick' batsmen into a mankad. Almost like a keeper pretending he didnt take the ball so a batsmen leaves off to run a bye......

Lol what did I even just read. The difference between those scenarios is that mankadding involves blatant cheating by the batting side, rather than the fielding side.

It's very easy for a batsman to avoid being mankadded.
by RB
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fair effort from De Leede, brings up his ton with a 28-run over.
by RB
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

Well I guess we got the declaration right.
by RB
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rahul did well to nick that.
by RB
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:Imagine the commentary on the Hindi channel on Fox if its this bad on the English channel! :shock:
I wouldn't mind hearing the Pakistani commentary.
by RB
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My favourite bit was Bumrah wildly overcelebrating the wicket of Smith.
by RB
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

stampy wrote:green no chance atm to get back in the aus squad imho, been very disappointing after a promising start

Marsh didn't bat well at the Oval, and a few more failures might suggest a reversion to the mean and time to look at someone else.

But I agree, Green needs runs to be that someone else.
by RB
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Obviously won't be completely smooth sailing but cancers out = fantastic opportunity for the SANFL.
by RB
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

"T10 comp going on in Pakistan" - I mean it's probably against the competition rules not to engage in spot-fixing lol
by RB
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Imagine not winning an SANFL flag since the turn of the century and losing not once, not twice , but three times to tinpot clubs in the Grand Final. No wonder some of their supporters crawl out from under their rock to shit can the league & it’s supporters, no no wonder they want to run from the comp…

Imagine being so cooked as to think that losing the 500 supporters of the 1996 franchise and the 3 supporters of the 1990 franchise (and their apricot slice) that actually attend their reserves games, is going to have any impact on the SANFL, let alone a drastic one. (Nine years and counting that we've been waiting for fans of the cancers to explain what benefit their reserves offer to the SANFL, BTW).

Methinks the wharfie doth protest too much...
by RB
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Yes, the so called Labor gerrymander. It was, and still is, Labor’s ability to manage marginal seats that got them through, and when you do it that way, the 2 party preferred stats get out of whack.

We have an independent electoral commission that redraws boundaries in an attempt to make them as fair as possible but Labor were and are still able to work around that.

Jimmy and I actually had this discussion in your absence, dedja (see link below). As you say, it was Labor's superiority (or the Liberals' incompetence?) in marginal seat campaigns which kept delivering Labor government, rather than 'gerrymandering', noting that an independent commission sets the boundaries well ahead of the election, all parties have the ability to challenge their decision, and Labor essentially tries for a majority of seats, by focusing on the key ones, rather than trying for a statewide 2PP majority, as soon as the 'starter's gun' is fired (i.e. the boundaries are set).

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31005&start=2420

I think the next question is whether our system of preferential voting has serviced us well, and I honestly don’t know the answer, or rather, don’t know what system is best to replace it.

I wouldn’t be looking to Tasmania or New Zealand for answers.

I'm a strong believer in the way we go about things in elections in Australia, particularly the preferential voting system. I think it's the best system, although there are benefits to the Tasmanian system (not a fan of the NZ system personally).
by RB
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAFC 2024

Genuine question: Who was the last person to sign a long term contract that didn’t limp to the finish or get traded?
Has anyone?

Franklin went ok til the end. Franklin was a non-entity in 2023, although that was an additional year after the 9-year contract.

Missed half of season 6 and all of season 7 with injury. Kicked 51 goals in 18 games in season 8 and 52 goals in 23 games in season 9 though.
by RB
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

I think in situations like this, if someone was found guilty of murder, then that should be an option available to us.

It is - non-Australian citizens who are released from gaol after serving time for serious offences routinely have their visa cancelled on character grounds upon their release, and then are generally deported to their country of citizenship (assuming they have one - the problem as referred to above is when they are stateless or where there is a dispute over their status in their country 'of origin', e.g. in the case of asylum seekers).

The vast majority of people released from gaol after doing time for murder etc. are Australian citizens. Most that aren't are deported - you could fill 747s full of the Kiwis that Australia deports. The criminals that the High Court judgment related to are a tiny % of serious criminals. While I agree wholeheartedly that these people should be deported, often it's not clear which country can or should take them, and there are a range of practical and diplomatic considerations.

Of couse, if there were a simple solution, the government would have gone down that path decades ago.
by RB
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gadj1976 wrote:If we don't beat this mob 3-0, it'll be because of the weather.
Well the Sydney match is in January so you can expect three days of that one to be washed out.
by RB
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

wenchbarwer wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:He's gonna get a tonne, isn't he?
Should double up

Should have an asterix on it, or maybe class it as List A
I know Pakistan at home is not a difficult proposition but not sure it should be classed as a limited overs match!!
by RB
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket Commentators

Armchair expert wrote:Hayden and Langer are very very very very very bad, given my mute button a workout the last couple of days.

Ponting is good
Everyone else is okay although I find Mark Howard extremely cringe

Worst of all time was Slater
Howie is as annoying as Hayden and Langer are boring.
by RB
Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hazelwood on a hattrick heading into the Melbourne test.
by RB
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |